Gay or straight? Watch his walk

Is he gay or straight? At a glance, the key to telling might be in the way he walks.

A swing of the hips or a swaggered shoulder is enough for many casual observers to identify a man’s sexual orientation, according to a study published in the September issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

Observers were only able to accurately guess the sexual orientation of men; with women, their guesses didn’t exceed chance. But what’s most interesting to researchers is understanding how that snap judgment can unleash a series of stereotypes — even from the most liberal-minded.

“This is important for the understanding of perception and feelings of assumptions and bias,” says lead author Kerri Johnson, an assistant professor of communications at the University of California, Los Angeles. “Once you know an individual’s sexual orientation, every else that happens is seen through that lens.”

Johnson and her colleagues attached motion sensors, like those used in the movie industry, to the hips and shoulders of eight volunteers – four men and four women, half of whom were gay. The motion sensors captured the only movements of the walkers, masking details such as clothing or hairstyles.

The researchers videotaped the volunteers walking on a treadmill at various speeds, and then played the video for 150 undergraduate observers, who were asked to determine the sexual orientation of each person.

Observers' accuracy

As the gay men walked, they slightly swayed their hips. The observers were accurate in assessing the men's sexual orientation a little more than 60 percent of the time.

Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20762841/

:scratchchin:

Well, maybe the guy's BF just spent two hours spanking him! GOOD GAWD: this sounds about as accurate as a CR survey. 60%? That's little better than a coin toss!

Borger, you're going to have all the straight guys here (at least 75% of C&G members), walking funny, trying NOT to sway their hips when they walk. They'll be walking into mirrors, checking every detail of their gait. They'll be videotaping themselves... why must you put such fear in your fellow C&Gers? :AH-HA_wink:

i have to sway my hips to counteract the momentum from my beer gut swinging back and forth.

hmm, no wonder so many female coworkers lately have been wanting to have nurturing conversations with me about feelings and relationships, and wondering what I think of their imported hand bags.

Edited by regfootball

hmm, no wonder so many female coworkers lately have been wanting to have nurturing conversations with me about feelings and relationships, and wondering what I think of their imported hand bags.

You're nuts! That's hilarious.

Seriously, some guys have hips (minor curvature) as the femur meets the groin/midsection and it might look like there is some sway going on. Then others have no side curvature, so there is no swaying. Fortunately, the no-curve group in my case.

Is this really proven?

What about neat handwriting for instance? Americans don't view it positively while Europeans (at least Italians) don't associate that with masculinity and feminity.

Edited by trinacriabob

<rant> Thats a stupid article. Thanks for pointing this out PCS. Why must the media pidgeon hole people into some small stereotypes? This kind of stuff is exactly why the media should take the day off on a slow news day. I don't sway my hips when I walk. I never have. I dont have a lisp in my voice. Not all gay people walk that way. Everyone walks differently, and talks differently. How moronic! </rant>

You're nuts! That's hilarious.

Seriously, some guys have hips (minor curvature) as the femur meets the groin/midsection and it might look like there is some sway going on. Then others have no side curvature, so there is no swaying. Fortunately, the no-curve group in my case.

Is this really proven?

What about neat handwriting for instance? Americans don't view it positively while Europeans (at least Italians) don't associate that with masculinity and feminity.

I got picked on my handwriting growing up for having very good penmanship. When I got into high school, I started writing in all-caps because although I could be extremely neat when writing like that, everyone perceived it as "more masculine".

I have had a few students comment on my handwriting when I write on the board.

I'll admit though, my handwriting is not what it used to be since before computers became so popular in the mid/late 90's.

I got picked on my handwriting growing up for having very good penmanship. When I got into high school, I started writing in all-caps because although I could be extremely neat when writing like that, everyone perceived it as "more masculine".

I'll admit though, my handwriting is not what it used to be since before computers became so popular in the mid/late 90's.

My wife says I write Catholic, whatever the hell that means? :scratchchin:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

My wife says I write Catholic, whatever the hell that means? :scratchchin:

Exactly. That means "Palmer" method penmanship as taught by the nuns! That is, if you went to Catholic school. That is pretty much how I write...very clean and very legible.

My hand writing is not the greatest - and I am a leftie. Just shoot me.

Frankly, most (if not all) of psychiatry is BULLSH$%T. My mother packed me off to two quacks when I was a kid. The first (when I was 8 or 9) because I was acting out against my sister. That quack analysed my drawings (boy, did I draw a lot: HELLO - its called escaping from a hell hole of a family!) and since I drew a lot of chesty females, he dared to venture that I was heterosexual. ???WTF??? Okay, I'll give that nut a bit of a break because it was the late '60s, but perhaps the reason I was drawing chesty females is because a) I had no male role models in my life and b) I was 'identifying' with women. Years later, my mother remarked that she would like to look that doctor up and get a refund. :lol:

Then when I was 15, my father 'discovered' that I was gay, was threatening to kick me out of the house AND my BF in my grade 10 class suddenly stopped talking to me, so I took a bottle of prescription sleeping pills and spent a few days in the hospital. That quack that I was ordered to see for a year or so only wanted to talk about my relationship with my mother and sisters (who, BTW, I didnt' even live with at the time I tried to off myself!) Oh, gee - could my wanting to be DEAD have had anything to do with feeling isolated and alone? Being gay at 15, in 1977 was not the happiest place. This was long before Ellen, Will & Grace, Queer Eye or anything on TV or the media to suggest there was anyone out there who felt the same way I did. Oh, yeah - I had Anita Bryant's rants to watch on TV!

These studies are crap. Where do these clowns get the funding for this &#036;h&#33;? This (and many other total BS things I have witnessed in the media) is why I don't trust studies or the media at all. I have witnessed historical events that were totally fabricated in the media, so when I go off on rants about Toyota paying off the Toronto Star, I am not kidding. These things happen all the time.

Color me skeptical, but I truly wonder how 'free' our media and universities are when I see total BS getting the light of day. This is more insidious than just another light news day. There are parents all over North America now, desperately watching the way their 5 year old is walking today, thanks to these ass clowns that were given an office and a computer.

This study would despise me. Swayed hips? No, sir.

As for handwriting... Mine is far from neat. If you can read what I write, you will earn much of my respect. :P

You didn't read the small print, "Poses for a lot of self pics in unusual places or stances. (Trees, Brookville, PA, Bent over the hood of cars, Gazing out of the bedroom window, Gazing in general, etc) :P

You didn't read the small print, "Poses for a lot of self pics in unusual places or stances. (Trees, Brookville, PA, Bent over the hood of cars, Gazing out of the bedroom window, Gazing in general, etc) :P

Would gazing at the 21 year old neighbor bent over washing his car count?

What a pointless study . There are as many straight men that would be considered gay as there are gay men that would be considered straight going off this test , lol . Guess this test makes me straight , who'd a thunk it :D

i DO sway my hips when I walk. I DO have extremely neat handwriting. I DO like me!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this guy's on to something...... oh wait, I'm a chick.

can we observe / study the sway of your hips.....for research purposes?

just to make sure. of what, i'm not certain. but we need to make sure.

Edited by regfootball

can we observe / study the sway of your hips.....for research purposes?

just to make sure. of what, i'm not certain. but we need to make sure.

Sure! Tit for tat, though. :AH-HA_wink:

That article is just bunk... High school was painful enough without everybody and their dog propagating a rumour that I was gay (FYI I'm Straight) because of my high pitched voice and lack of a g/f, and more female friends than average.

Tat's the name. Where's the line?

What's good for the gander is good for the gander?

That makes me glad you don't have the sort of information about me that Chris does. The above sounds rather innocent... :D

Well, you don't need to see me walk to tell whether I'm gay or straight... I came out to my 8th period today... (by putting my foot in my mouth and thank God, they think it was just a joke)...

I was teaching the classroom objects... I had a power point presentation going, and in the beginning, someone asked "why do some words have "la" and some "lo" and some "il"... etc."

Well, I explained that words had genders. So, I started saying, see, this window is a big ol' girl, and the desk is masculine, and the wall is feminine and I'm sitting on top of a big ol' man!

They lost it. I was sitting on top of the radiator... it's "il riscaldimento", which is masculine :AH-HA_wink:

Well, you don't need to see me walk to tell whether I'm gay or straight... I came out to my 8th period today... (by putting my foot in my mouth and thank God, they think it was just a joke)...

I was teaching the classroom objects... I had a power point presentation going, and in the beginning, someone asked "why do some words have "la" and some "lo" and some "il"... etc."

Well, I explained that words had genders. So, I started saying, see, this window is a big ol' girl, and the desk is masculine, and the wall is feminine and I'm sitting on top of a big ol' man!

They lost it. I was sitting on top of the radiator... it's "il riscaldimento", which is masculine :AH-HA_wink:

Il Papa, explains so much! :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Il Papa, explains so much! :smilewide:

I explained that 9 times out of 10, it's o=masculine, a=feminine. I won't mess them up with that right away! Only 3 exceptions I really make them pay close attention to:

1) il papa/il papà

2) la radio

3) il programma

Then again, we always have the ambiguity of the "e" words :AH-HA_wink:

I explained that 9 times out of 10, it's o=masculine, a=feminine. I won't mess them up with that right away! Only 3 exceptions I really make them pay close attention to:

1) il papa/il papà

2) la radio

3) il programma

Then again, we always have the ambiguity of the "e" words :AH-HA_wink:

Boy, I am glad I am not in your class, you sound like a strict task master, and I have always been a free spirit when it came to learning.

Boy, I am glad I am not in your class, you sound like a strict task master, and I have always been a free spirit when it came to learning.

I'm actually very easy going--you're just not allowed to be that way until like the new year. They have to know you mean business and then you can ease up a little.

As for you being a free spirit... I have some experience with that type. I would know how to deal with you :AH-HA_wink:

I'm actually very easy going--you're just not allowed to be that way until like the new year. They have to know you mean business and then you can ease up a little.

As for you being a free spirit... I have some experience with that type. I would know how to deal with you :AH-HA_wink:

Better nuns than you have tried! I feel bad, my 10th grade English nun was taken out of class because she had a mental breakdown during class. I was innocent of any wrong doing, of course! :P

Better nuns than you have tried! I feel bad, my 10th grade English nun was taken out of class because she had a mental breakdown during class. I was innocent of any wrong doing, of course! :P

When I was in grade 8, our class gained a reputation throughout the public school board. We actually had a French substitute teacher run crying from the class. I later heard that she quit teaching. I am ashamed to say I was one of the ringleaders. Since I was a grade A student (and often) the teacher's pet, none of the faculty ever suspected me of being involved in the daily tortures of our teachers.

We had a perfect combination of bratty (rich) kids, a school system that was starting to succumb to its own liberal (failing) ideals, and a handful of class clowns who would egg each other on. The few good kids in the class would under no circumstances rat the rest of us out! The stuff we got away with, included actually destroying one of those 'portable' class rooms that had been installed at the back of the school because a teacher didn't show up for class. Even the girls used to help out: we shoved one skinny girl, whom we affectionately referred to as 'dog' through a window to break into the aforementioned portable, so about 10 of us could trash it.

I am surprised I did not end up in jail at some point. I know why I was acting up (I was gay and rebelling), but I can't explain why the other kids were such monsters.

I got picked on my handwriting growing up for having very good penmanship.

You're attuned to "la cultura Italiana." Do you think that same comment/observation would occur in Italy/neighboring countries?

All of my parent's siblings on both sides, garden variety heads of families, have wedding invitation-like penmanship. Have you ever seen the penmanship on archived Italian birth or death certificates at the turn of the century? Unbelievable!

In most ways, Americans have their act together. In some, they are super uptight and 'effed up.