Canyon V8!

enzl

Chock up another victory under the category of Tyranny of the Enthusiasts. At $4 a gallon, I am sure this will be a big seller. The development money would have been better spent on gussying up the interior.

Chock up another victory under the category of Tyranny of the Enthusiasts. At $4 a gallon, I am sure this will be a big seller. The development money would have been better spent on gussying up the interior.

Oh don;t be such a stick in the mud. Screw the interior, it's a truck.

I for one am thrilled about this. Now when will the Atlas I6 be available

in the Silverado & Sierra?

What development money?

Never unfortunately. You will be stuck with the 4.3 V6 and 4.8 V8 which makes no sense to me. They should eliminate one of these engines.

Yup it is a good change. I think that was essential for the truck. Granted the trucks need better interior. But at least something was covered. I hope they put the Atlas in the Si-Si in 2009. That would be a blast.

What development money?

Zero.

The Atlas should have been standard in the GMT900 trucks when they were introed last year. The 4.3 needs to go. Its a rough engine though and serves its purpose despite its faults. The Atlas should have been developed for the GMT355s, but GM says it wouldn't fit. They should have made it fit.

I was looking at the 08 Canyon brochure today and they quote a max trailering weight of 6000lbs with the 5.3, which is sad because the Nissan Frontier still beats it by 300lbs with a V6...ouch!!

It is the Chasis which is incompetent, not the engine.

It is the Chasis which is incompetent, not the engine.

Well I could have told you that, I was just pointing out the competitors specs compared to the Canyon's specs. I know damn well that the 5.3 is capable!

Edited by RJB

I am with you on this one. I could live fine with the I5 but I will never even consider one with the present interior. I looked at 3 ZQ8 GMC's Saturday and just could not being myself to trade off a 10 Year old ZQ8 for the new one. I like my present one better than the new ones just based on interior alone.

I would have been just happy with the I6 from the Trailblazer in a Caynon.

As it was said it is just a small truck. If I want a Muscle car I would just buy a Camaro. At the rate it is going that may be my next move.

This is my daily driver and as long as I have power to pass and to get on the freeway at speed I will be fine. I have no problem with them offereing an 8 but it is not a need for my daily use at $3 a gallon just to get to work.

Is this the AFM 5.3? I want to know what the official numbers are for gas mileage. Considering a full size, 4x4 Silverado can get 16/20 with the 5.3, I'd like to see what a smaller, lighter truck could get with the same engine. It's not like the I5 gets great mileage in 4x4 configuration.

So when are you buying one? :smilewide:

finally a decent engine, not really a surprise? when do we see that super-MCE we've all been waiting for?

No time soon!!

It seems that GM is slowly but surely abandoning the small truck market just like minivans.

What development money?

If the engine could just be 'dropped' in the bay, it would have been done a long time ago. I am sure some money had to spent for testing, reinforcing engine mounts, etc. I mean, how many SS Silverados did GM sell?

It's all fine and great to pander to the enthusiasts, but there has to be a business model for it, which is why there are no 5 spd manual Malibus or Impalas - nobody wants them, really.

I would sooner GM have spent the money appeasing the whiners about the 'cheap' interior plastics and chintzy seat fabric, then throw in an engine that MAYBE will sell 2%? 4%?

Is this the AFM 5.3? I want to know what the official numbers are for gas mileage. Considering a full size, 4x4 Silverado can get 16/20 with the 5.3, I'd like to see what a smaller, lighter truck could get with the same engine. It's not like the I5 gets great mileage in 4x4 configuration.

I have a feeling that it will be the same as the H3 when it first comes out and then maybe AFM will be introduced later. There are no mpg figures in the 08 brochure only preliminary towing capacities.

I got a 2008 Canyon brochure from a GMC dealership where I attended a car show yesterday. At least 4 Canyons were shown in the brochure equipped with the V8 engine. How do I know they had the V8? V8-equipped models will have a small chrome V8 emblem on the top edge of the front fenders close to the outside rearview mirrors.

I got a 2008 Canyon brochure from a GMC dealership where I attended a car show yesterday. At least 4 Canyons were shown in the brochure equipped with the V8 engine. How do I know they had the V8? V8-equipped models will have a small chrome V8 emblem on the top edge of the front fenders close to the outside rearview mirrors.

Another thing I noticed about the Canyon in the brochure is how HUGE a difference those aftermarket 18" wheels make on that black crew cab 4x4 Z-71. That is one great looking truck.