CAR SHOPPING

regfootball

If you are car shopping or thinking you may be soon.....

tell us what you are most likely going to look the most at.

No doubt, there are so many models, you like a lot of them. Price, utility, style....so many variables.

When it comes down to picking and choosing and meeting your needs, which cars etc. have the best chance of ending up in your driveway?

After seeing the new CTS today, I guess I would have to say it only cements in my mind that I could truly get into a G8. I do not think the added bling of the CTS is neccessary for me. I would like the G8 to have all wheel drive, but it might be the only car I am willing to overlook that on. I have a choice of v6 or v8 and I can get a stick. I don't know the price. The interior, I think will be just fine for me, it's very nice. Its a roomy car. It looks great.

If I were to ditch the sedan and get a van, I would lean Nissan Quest for sportiness and I think I could even stomach a new Chrysler van, cheap interior and all.

Otherwise, none of the mainstream midsize sedans wow me. Including the GM cars. The new Accord holds some intrigue, but it too seems cheap and just a little to 'generation me' for my tastes. The Altima or new mazda6 might be easy for me to stomach, if I am willing to get an import brand.

I've owned a lot of Fords, and an Edge or another Taurus/Sable may do it. I like the Flex and if it were attainable and HERE, it may be the way to go. I love space in a vehicle.

A new Jetta / Jetta wagon TDI would actually appeal to me if its not pricey.

The Acadia, I like, but its heavy, and expensive. Only a base Outlook would be attainable to me, I think.

If GM put a six speed in the Impala SS and tightened up the ride and handling, I could think about that. I can't wait to see what the new Impala is like.

SO, in the end, I would say I could be patient to see what the G8 turns out like.

Funny with all the cars available....there is never the 'perfect one'.

Funny, but GM is notably absent of desirable entries in a lot of the less expensive / less profit / less volume market segments. this might be why they so up sh1t creek as a company.

WHAT ARE YOU SHOPPING FOR?

Edited by regfootball

The Venture's Lease is up in January... It might be gone by December.

I'm thinking no more van, we've already weeded out the Lambdas for poor fuel economy (we know someone who bought one and is averaging 14-15 MPG, The Equinox is a distant possibility but 95% Chance of a W-Body to replace the Van.

That means Venture -> Leftover 2007 Allure CX, or GP GT, or Impala LT.

Allure- 4/Year Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty vs. 3 on the GP and Impala. Like the GP it has the 3800 vs the 3500 VVT which is a major selling point I think. I like the styling better on the Allure than the Impala or even the GP. It also has the best interior of the three IMO...

Grand Prix- 3800 V6, 2nd best interior, 2nd best exterior, a little cheaper than Allure, factored in with Alloy wheels, JD Power Award Winner.

Impala- Unlikely to say the least... If we go Impala, it has to be the 3500 VVT, an engine I don't at all like, for one, its reliability is not as proven as that of the 3800, for two, it's less fuel efficient than the 3800, Don't like the exterior styling, and with the black steering wheel and plood trim, the interior is ASS UGLY. We rented all 3 W-Bodys recently and the Front seats in the Impala were disgraceful!, bricks have better long term back support, and for someone who has back problems I couldn't sit in the car for longer than 1.5 hours without going berserk!

So it looks like

1. Allure

2. Grand Prix

3. Impala

4. Equinox

As for the Cavalier, well there's never a dull moment with that cookie. There's some strange things going on in the engine and it's getting progressively harder to start each morning, so if it does die on me, I'd be looking to replace it with:

1. Aurora

2. Intrigue

3. Eighty-Eight/LSS/Ninety-Eight

4. Century/Regal

5. LeSabre/Park Avenue

6. Bonneville

7. Alero V6

8. DeVille

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

I'm thinking no more van, we've already weeded out the Lambdas for poor fuel economy (we know someone who bought one and is averaging 14-15 MPG, The Equinox is a distant possibility but 95% Chance of a W-Body to replace the Van.

Allure- 4/Year Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty vs. 3 on the GP and Impala. Like the GP it has the 3800 vs the 3500 VVT which is a major selling point I think. I like the styling better on the Allure than the Impala or even the GP. It also has the best interior of the three IMO...

Grand Prix- 3800 V6, 2nd best interior, 2nd best exterior, a little cheaper than Allure, factored in with Alloy wheels, JD Power Award Winner.

Impala- Unlikely to say the least... If we go Impala, it has to be the 3500 VVT, an engine I don't at all like, for one, its reliability is not as proven as that of the 3800, for two, it's less fuel efficient than the 3800, Don't like the exterior styling, and with the black steering wheel and plood trim, the interior is ASS UGLY. We rented all 3 W-Bodys recently and the Front seats in the Impala were disgraceful!, bricks have better long term back support, and for someone who has back problems I couldn't sit in the car for longer than 1.5 hours without going berserk!

So it looks like

1. Allure

2. Grand Prix

3. Impala

4. Equinox

As for the Cavalier, well there's never a dull moment with that cookie. There's some strange things going on in the engine and it's getting progressively harder to start each morning, so if it does die on me, I'd be looking to replace it with:

1. Aurora

2. Intrigue

4. Century/Regal

5. LeSabre/Park Avenue

6. Bonneville

7. Alero V6

8. DeVille

Do you realize that the fake wood is a no-cost option in the Impala? We rarely order it. It is UGLY, I agree. The brushed 'titanium' is a far better look and the 'ebony' interior. Depending on what your current Venture payment is, you may want to get out of your lease now and take advantage of the 'clearance' stuff happening on the '07s. For example, the Impala has a $1,500 'stackable' credit and 0.5% lease rate. The same would be true of Buick and Pontiac offerings.

Alternatively, by the time your lease is up in January, the '08 Malibu should finally be available in some quantity. I've sat in them and they are stunning - even in the 'cocoa' interior, and I usually hate browns. You'll find the cabin space of the Malibu will be better than the Impala/Allure and the3.6 is SWEET.

Just thought I'd point that out, is all. :smilewide:

Me, if I won the lottery tomorrow I'd be off to the very next Barret-Jackson auction.

Thanks for the Suggestions, 'BIZ. The Venture payments are 497$ Mo, 36 Month/72K Km... It's got 57K Km on it now. The problem is that we prepaid the lease in Jan. 2005 @ the time assuming we'd just drop it on an early lease incentive on a similar 2008 Montana SV6 or Uplander, of course, things have changed since then and we no longer need a 7 passenger vehicle, or a 95L Gas tank (or want another lease for that matter).

Also, I've found that I get a better deal buying a leaseback from the previous year than buying a clearance/leftover model. For example, The MAXX stickered @ ~27000$ but after some haggling, we got the same vehicle, +15K Kms, in January 2007, to 14500$, add 1500$ for the 6/160K GMPP...

This being considered, most lease return Impalas have both the Plood and a Light Coloured interior, and even if it didn't have that, it just wouldn't change that the seats are so bad for my back. I'm not big on the 3.6L b/c it doesn't get great mileage... If an 08 Malibu would be considered, it would only be a lease on the hybrid model. That leaves the GP and Allure.

The bonus for me in all this is that buying a lease return 07 Allure, we get to dodge that ass ugly new front end.. I much preferred the old one.

You're not alone, either. Our Salesman of 16 years was gushing just the other day when the Malibu went in for an oil change, and paid him a visit, about how the new Malibus and CTS are just 'gorgeous'.

2005 Envoy lease is up 10/21 so we started shopping early for my wife..

AWD was the only thing she requested.

Originally we were getting a buick enclave but came to realize its just too large for our family of three..

We tested the mercedes AWD C and E, the Bimmer 3 & 5, the Audi A4, the Audi TT, Volvo S80, Pontiac solstice GXP, ( threw that in there for fun) Linclon MKZ AWD sedan, and finally settled on the silver exterior/black interior 2008 CTS AWD 304hp sports suspension ..

Ordered one on 9/6 and can't wait for it to come in to replace the Envoy.

BTW...I Dig the new V8 362 hp 391 lb/ft of torque G8. I'd definitely try and order the 19's on that bad @ss ride.

I saw it at the NY auto show last april and it was my personal favorite.. (no awd makes it a no go for my family ride..as the wife wants AWD.. ) but for those who don't mind just ordering up snow tires for the snowy winter weather if you have that where you live... I think its the best choice..

Edited by JBsZ06

I wasn't planning to get a new vehicle for several years (the Volt and next generation Prius are contenders), but I'm thinking about disposing of the Silverado and getting something smaller. Over the past three years, I've put less than 5,000 miles on it because it's so big and clunky. If I do get rid of it, the Nissan Frontier Crew Cab is the most likely replacement vehicle.

The only way I could see a "new" car I could see entering the household is if my mom decides to replace the Shadow,m which would then be handed down to my little brother.

I have no idea what it'd be replaced with...I'd still like an Aurora to join the ranks...it it may be to expensive, and another Prizm might end up joining the fleet...or maybe a first gen LH model..who knows.

As much as I would like a new car, I would much rather save money for a little while-so the new car will wait a few years...

Once the cavs are paid off, they will stick around for a while...

The wagon will get replaced, most likely by a Saturn S-series...

Though the cars I'm considering : Mailbu, Astra, next gen Cobalt, HHR, G8...

This could change if i get the job I've been waiting for.... :yes:

We might replace the Ody for a CX-9. There's a lease going for $299/mo (might be $319, not sure), $0 down, 10.5K miles/yr, 36 mo. It won't be as useful or practical, but it'll be new...

dealers here are advertising the CX-7's cheaper than the mazda 5's.....that cx-9 lease might be worth looking into.......

So it looks like

1. Allure

2. Grand Prix

3. Impala

4. Equinox

1. Aurora

2. Intrigue

4. Century/Regal

5. LeSabre/Park Avenue

6. Bonneville

7. Alero V6

8. DeVille

I like your choices, however I wouldn't get a 2007 leftover now. I'd wait until the December Red Tag sale and get a 2008.

I like your choices, however I wouldn't get a 2007 leftover now. I'd wait until the December Red Tag sale and get a 2008.

He's in Canada: we don't have 'Red Tag Sales.' If he is buying, the clearance on the '07s is as good as it gets. Xmas is usually a better time to lease because the residuals are still higher, but the deals are as good as they get right now.

Well, some point before the end of August of 2008 we'll have to replace the Envoy as that lease ends 8/18/08. Even though we lease two vehicles that we share to balance out the miles (15,000 per year), that will be changing. I'm tired of always changing the seat/mirror/radio settings after the wife's had one of the cars, and she's tired of me making all the vehicle choices and having two constant payments. So we're going to go back to "his" and "her" vehicles with the next round of replacements (Envoy next summer, AURA November of 2009). The decision we're facing is who gets what and when, and if we both finance or one finances, the other leases.

My #1 choice is a Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4wd, although I do like the more practical Acadia SLT AWD too. I know that the Acadia will be the better choice for family needs, but I'll regret not getting a pickup. If I decide to lease rather than finance, then I may be willing to put the Sierra on hold for another 3 years. I'd also like to consider the G8, but know if I get a car I'll really regret not having a truck or SUV or crossover (I love my AURA, but I tend to drive the Envoy as much as I can over it). The Hummer H3 is also on my list, but with no local dealer around I hesitate getting one. I'd also like to see what the H3 pickup looks like. I wish I could consider the Canyon Crew 4wd, but I'm not happy with the styling and cramped feeling of the interior.

The wife is tricky... she likes Volvos and I feel too cramped in the S40 and not really thrilled with her getting anything but a GM product. She also likes Lexus & Mercedes, but the ones she wants are too expensive. She wants to buy vs. leasing her choice, as she tends to like one vehicle and wants to stick with it. Her 64+ mile roundtrip commute will put a massive amount of miles on her car in no time (maintenance concerns). I told her to lease so the car is always within warrant coverage, but we know that I'm the one that likes getting new vehicles every 30-36 months and would probably tell her what she should get. She's being price consciencous too with her choice... I mentioned her getting the Acadia or Enclave, but she wants the finance amount to be reasonable. She's really taken a liking to the all-new 2008 Saturn VUE, so I can forsee her getting one of them. Whatever else she likes, it will have to be FWD or AWD to handle her commute in bad (rain/snow) weather.

So now the decision... who gets their car first?

He's in Canada: we don't have 'Red Tag Sales.' If he is buying, the clearance on the '07s is as good as it gets. Xmas is usually a better time to lease because the residuals are still higher, but the deals are as good as they get right now.

Well, It'll be a purchase, not a lease, and needn't worry about financing since it's gonna be an over the counter cash purchase... completely paid off when you roll of the lot... Car payments are such a bother, it's better to save and just buy it outright if you can.

Well, some point before the end of August of 2008 we'll have to replace the Envoy as that lease ends 8/18/08. Even though we lease two vehicles that we share to balance out the miles (15,000 per year), that will be changing. I'm tired of always changing the seat/mirror/radio settings after the wife's had one of the cars, and she's tired of me making all the vehicle choices and having two constant payments. So we're going to go back to "his" and "her" vehicles with the next round of replacements (Envoy next summer, AURA November of 2009). The decision we're facing is who gets what and when, and if we both finance or one finances, the other leases.

My #1 choice is a Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4wd, although I do like the more practical Acadia SLT AWD too. I know that the Acadia will be the better choice for family needs, but I'll regret not getting a pickup. If I decide to lease rather than finance, then I may be willing to put the Sierra on hold for another 3 years. I'd also like to consider the G8, but know if I get a car I'll really regret not having a truck or SUV or crossover (I love my AURA, but I tend to drive the Envoy as much as I can over it). The Hummer H3 is also on my list, but with no local dealer around I hesitate getting one. I'd also like to see what the H3 pickup looks like. I wish I could consider the Canyon Crew 4wd, but I'm not happy with the styling and cramped feeling of the interior.

The wife is tricky... she likes Volvos and I feel too cramped in the S40 and not really thrilled with her getting anything but a GM product. She also likes Lexus & Mercedes, but the ones she wants are too expensive. She wants to buy vs. leasing her choice, as she tends to like one vehicle and wants to stick with it. Her 64+ mile roundtrip commute will put a massive amount of miles on her car in no time (maintenance concerns). I told her to lease so the car is always within warrant coverage, but we know that I'm the one that likes getting new vehicles every 30-36 months and would probably tell her what she should get. She's being price consciencous too with her choice... I mentioned her getting the Acadia or Enclave, but she wants the finance amount to be reasonable. She's really taken a liking to the all-new 2008 Saturn VUE, so I can forsee her getting one of them. Whatever else she likes, it will have to be FWD or AWD to handle her commute in bad (rain/snow) weather.

So now the decision... who gets their car first?

Why not just let her buy one then? I'm that way, where I like having my car for a long time...so I can relate to that desire :P

The Vue would be great, and GM has a good warranty...if you're really concerned about warranty VS mileage you could consider a Chrysler product...hey...it's American at least :P

GMTG, when I was partnered we chose our own cars. I offered input because I am the car guy, but in the end it was his decision. Looking back, I wish I would have stayed out of it more. It worked for us because I didnt drive his DTS too much and I wouldnt let him drive the Corvettes, and very rarely the Av or trucks I had previous. I realize that my situation is different than yours, being married and all, but the idea of his and hers (or his and his, or hers and hers) is, in my opinion, the best way to go.

The best solution is to hook up with some who shares a quality level of automotive taste.

This past Thursday, I was driving with my girlfriend back from class when a dark red Lucerne CXL with chrome wheels and pillar trim passed us. Out of nowhere, she said, "Damn, that's a sexy looking car. That's something I want when I've made it in my career, that or a nice DeVille, Monte Carlo, Charger, or something like that. But no, I really want a truck." Right then, a dark red Acadia passed us on the other side. "Like that right there. Its not a truck, but its a GMC and that's better than a minivan. If I couldn't buy a GMC truck or a Dodge Ram, I'd have that."

I wanted to buy a ring right then. :lol:

The best solution is to hook up with some who shares a quality level of automotive taste.

This past Thursday, I was driving with my girlfriend back from class when a dark red Lucerne CXL with chrome wheels and pillar trim passed us. Out of nowhere, she said, "Damn, that's a sexy looking car. That's something I want when I've made it in my career, that or a nice DeVille, Monte Carlo, Charger, or something like that. But no, I really want a truck." Right then, a dark red Acadia passed us on the other side. "Like that right there. Its not a truck, but its a GMC and that's better than a minivan. If I couldn't buy a GMC truck or a Dodge Ram, I'd have that."

Wow Fly, she's a keeper! And tailor-made for you!

You might want to consider that ring...

Charger or a Ram? She has impeccable taste Fly!

Damn Fly, you lucked out! If I'm ever in the "market" in the future, I think I may make that part of the first date... "so, on a scale of one to ten, exactly how important are cars in your life?" If she says they're just "transportation", then it will be "check please"!!! :lol:

My wife likes style, but not necessarily the same style I like. When we moved in together, she was all "I don't care what I drive, as long as it's nice". That quickly turned into "No, you can't have THAT because I won't drive it", or, "You think THAT is nice looking?" Again, we decided to share the vehicles because I like to lease and we balance out the miles better that way. A couple of months ago though we decided the next round of cars would be our own choosing and our own ride (no more sharing). Sometimes I think I'll be happy owning something for 5+ years, then I remember that I have automotive-ADD and within two years will find something else I like. So leasing still seems the way for me. For her, she only wants us to have one car payment (really, she wants none, but she knows I like having a new vehicle every 30-36 months) so I can totally see her finding and keeping her own car for much longer than I can.

I will say that I like the way the new All-Terrain package sounds on the 2008 Sierra. If I knew that the package would continue in 2009, then I would be happy to let her get her choice next summer. But the key thing is we want to use our GM Card Earnings soon in order to cancel the card and Saturn still is stubbornly not accepting them. That would be a big plus for us if we could use those earnings when buying her a new car. At least we can use her company's GM Supplier price discount though!

Time will tell.

Well, It'll be a purchase, not a lease, and needn't worry about financing since it's gonna be an over the counter cash purchase... completely paid off when you roll of the lot... Car payments are such a bother, it's better to save and just buy it outright if you can.

Nothing beats 0% financing. If you take $30k cash (remember: there is no such thing as cash - it should be working for you, not just sitting under a mattress) and reinvest it at 4% or so, you will make $4k or so in 5 years, thus saving another few grand off your purchase. Since the manufacturers are no longer offering 'cash rebates' up here (thanks to the government plugging a loophole a couple years ago) there is no incentive to paying CASH.

Yes, payments are a bother, but most rich investors made millions on the 'spread' of investments. Even a lowly $20k can make you back a goodly chunk of cash. Let the manufacturer's money work for you. So what if you have to have $450 available in the bank at a certain time every month.

I never understand why anyone would want to pay cash for such a large (and bad) investment as a vehicle. I could have paid cash for my Optra 5, but with 0% for 72 months, why would I?

If that is the case, I am doomed! My Brazilian BF can't stand anything bigger than a Cobalt. If you've ever been to Brazil, you'd understand why. Recently, while we were walking the dog, I spotted a '64 Caddy convertible in pristine shape. While I was pacing around the car, creaming in my jeans, the BF looked from afar in horror. He jokingly referred to 'divorce' if I ever bought a car like that.

Sometimes I think I'll be happy owning something for 5+ years, then I remember that I have automotive-ADD and within two years will find something else I like.

Whew! I knew there was a name for what I had. I am glad you put a name to it GMTG. I feel better now. I feel your pain too. I'm in a perennial state of car fever.

Are there any pics of the GMC Sierra All Terrain pkg you speak of?