Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Cadillac replacing DTS and STS with one vehicle, entry-level model coming

45 posts in this topic

Cadillac replacing DTS and STS with one vehicle, entry-level model coming

Posted Sep 17th 2007 12:31AM by Damon Lavrinc

Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, Cadillac

The rumor that the Cadillac DTS and STS will be nixed has officially been confirmed in an interview with the brand's general manager, Jim Taylor. Sales of both models are down for the year, and Taylor admits that one premium-luxury sedan will be developed to compete in the segment.

In the Automotive News interview, Taylor and his superior, Troy Clarke, GM's president of North America, also confirmed that a new entry-level model, designed to slot in below the CTS, is a distinct possibility. Both execs feel that Cadillac's brand image could sustain such a vehicle, likely to be priced in the $28,00 to $32,000 range.

No time frame was given for either new model, but Mr. Taylor also mentioned that a high-end, ultra-luxury flagship is still alive and well.

source:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/17/cadilla...ry-level-model/

No FWD entry level, keep everyting RWD/AWD and build the SIXTEEN!

Good news. I know there is a group that likes the DTS and its position in the market (and I do see your point) but this should make Cadillac a stronger brand.

Note to CTS lovers, buy them now because they're only going to get more expensive as Caddy tries to position it closer to the 5-series.

Note to Cadillac, be careful with this entry model, you've come too far and done too much to spoil it with a sub-standard model that sacrifices brand equity for a quick buck.

Exactly how many times are other outlets going to report the exact same news we said months and months ago? Jeez.

Exactly how many times are other outlets going to report the exact same news we said months and months ago? Jeez.

Exactly. Old news, but beyond that it seems like a good idea to me if Cadillac wants to align themselves with the likes of the Germans.

Old news, but good news nonetheless. For those who miss the DTS, there's always the Lucerne.

Edited by Dodgefan

Old news, but good news nonetheless. For those who miss the DTS, there's always the Lucerne.

The Lucerne will be changing too, though.

BLS Alpha=RWD entry car. So the "DTS" will be Zeta-based, correct? With the CTS' slight upward move in size, price, and power, where does this position it? Cadillac sounds like it will have a good, if not confusing lineup.

I'm gonna miss the DTS and the Lucerne... I'm gonna miss Big FWD period.

So I am von. So I am I. I just don't want to have to pay 50K for a base DTS. They should give them one REAL redesign. Both Lucerne and DTS with new 6spd. tranny. They'd sell.

So I am von. So I am I. I just don't want to have to pay 50K for a base DTS. They should give them one REAL redesign. Both Lucerne and DTS with new 6spd. tranny. They'd sell.

Agreed... I'm all for Zeta, but there needs to be a large FWD alternative, for the sake of where I live, and the winters I get to drive through, FWD is better for traction... I'm not saying I wouldn't consider buying a Zeta Buick or Cadillac or Chevrolet,

but I'd certainly say that a Taurus purchase is alot more of a real possibility than ever have before.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

ya, that's the problem. they are missing 2 speeds.

Agreed... I'm all for Zeta, but there needs to be a large FWD alternative, for the sake of where I live, and the winters I get to drive through, FWD is better for traction... I'm not saying I wouldn't consider buying a Zeta Buick or Cadillac or Chevrolet,

but I'd certainly say that a Taurus purchase is alot more of a real possibility than ever have before.

AWD?

This whole "I just gotta have FWD for the winter" thing is so erroneous.

People got around without FWD for 3/4 of the last century.... and most

of that era it was on BIAS PLYS for Chrissake. If you're such a worry

wart and/or you bought a house in Maine with a 42* driveway in an

area where you can't use rocksalt then get the AWD option. It's $1200

on the CTS.... that's NOTHING. Navigation is more, even a typical

sunroof/convenience pkg. is more.

I agree with you Sixty8. Front wheel drive cars get stuck just as much as rear wheel drive cars, especially in deep snow, and mostly due to ground clearance issues. I can count the number of times on one hand I've put the Av in 4HI in snowy situation. Driving with rear wheel drive can be done, and in my opinion, its better than front wheel drive because at least you can steer if you lose traction. Front wheel drive you slide straight into whatever you are sliding towards.

I am glad that GM has finally come to this decison after all these years of seeing Lexus, BMW and Mercedes improve market share.

Better late then never!!!!

Edited by drew770

What some people don't understand is that getting rid of what was 10 years ago an all except for Catera FWD line-up and leaving them without the best selling Cadillac in 2006 the DTS, that was FWD sorry Sixty makes no sound sense!

What some people don't understand is that getting rid of what was, 10 years ago an except for Catera FWD line-up and leaving them without the best selling Cadillac in 2006 the DTS, that was FWD sorry Sixty makes no sound sense!

what some other people fail to understand is tha GM has decided that Cadillac will be their Luxury brand. it will target MB, BMW and Lexus as world leaders. and you can't do that with an all FWD line-up. And a car like the current DTS has no business carrying a Cadillac badge in 2007.

not to say that it's not a decent car, and that it wasn't a suitbale car for Cadillac in 1999. But, in 2007 it has no right being on the same show room floor as the CTS. (for that matter the STS is a far cry from what it should be as well). sadly, the economics of car manufactuing do not allow you to turn on a dime overnight. hence the DTS lives on until the zeta shows up to replace IT, and to end the misery, that is the curent STS.

and for anyone who would buy a Ford Taurus, please do so, immediately. the thought that someone considering a Ford Taurus would even walk onto a Cadillac dealership sends a clear message to those that think Cadillac has turned the corner and is prepared to lead again. not even close. lots of work ahead.

Edited by 97regalGS

and for anyone who would buy a Ford Taurus, please do so, immediately. the thought that someone considering a Ford Taurus would even walk onto a Cadillac dealership sends a clear message to those that think Cadillac has turned the corner and is prepared to lead again. not even close. lots of work ahead.

:lol: I'm just saying that in the field of large FWD cars you've got the Taurus, DTS, and Lucerne (Large FWD is my favourite type of car)... That's it... If I was buying one today those would be the only three (and I'd buy the Lucerne or DTS)... Once G-Body is gone, Taurus will be the lone one.

:lol: I'm just saying that in the field of large FWD cars you've got the Taurus, DTS, and Lucerne (Large FWD is my favourite type of car)... That's it... If I was buying one today those would be the only three (and I'd buy the Lucerne or DTS)... Once G-Body is gone, Taurus will be the lone one.

Well, there is also the Avalon, Sable and the MKS is coming,....

Canada doesn't get the Sable, or any Mercury except Marquis for that matter.... I refuse to buy an overpriced, overrated Japanese car...

I'll admit I overlooked MKS though.. :blush:

That is really what this car is missing. This is too important of a segment for Caddy to ignore. Sometimes offering the same thing as everyone else isn't a good idea. Thats why you have an alternative. All it needs is two more speeds in the gear box!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0