My 2008 Accord Impressions

Cory Wolfe

Posted Image

come on now, look at that side profile and try and say they aren't trying to copy the 5-series.....

the overall effect is not very 5 series. in person.

the greenhouse is as much an x-type vibe as any bmw.....and

no BMW has this accords flabby proportions....i.e. huge overhangs, etc. BMW's usually look taut where this accord has a bit of a flabby waisted look to it.

it still looks like a generic asian sedan. i still say it has the 'premium korean' look going.

I thought it looked like a good copy of a BMW in the TV commercials, but I saw one on the road last night and nearly barfed.

This has to be one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. There's no Honda there, but a part of BMW glued on to a Hundai, stuck on to a Nissan. It looked awkward driving down the road, ass up too high and a mismatch of design styles.

I gave credit to Honda and Totota before, for copying Mercedes styling, but this thing makes a Volkswagen "Thing" look good.

I thought it looked like a good copy of a BMW in the TV commercials, but I saw one on the road last night and nearly barfed.

This has to be one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. There's no Honda there, but a part of BMW glued on to a Hundai, stuck on to a Nissan. It looked awkward driving down the road, ass up too high and a mismatch of design styles.

I gave credit to Honda and Totota before, for copying Mercedes styling, but this thing makes a Volkswagen "Thing" look good.

It certainly doesn't have the same BMW appearance in person. It's decent looking just like the Altima/Camry. They all seem to always be going in the same direction design wise. Best bet is the Honda and Toyotas beat steal eachothers sales. It's rather sad, I think, that when some people write off Toyota they go directly to Honda without passing go.

We got a coupe in the other day, Ex 4 banger, white/tan. The exterior is suprisingly different. I mean I know it doesn't share any sheetmetal with the sedan, but the car has a whole different vibe, as it should.

First off, the hood gap doesn't look as bad in person as it does in the pics. lol This was on a white car too so I figured it'd be obvious, but it's not too bad. The back end of the car is akward IMHO. Maybe it'll look better with a lip spoiler (haven't even seen pics of that) but really the whole rear is kind of... idk. I was waiting to see the car in person before I judged it, because of the back, and i'll have to say I was let down. The front though, the front is quite nice. The most obvious difference is the headlights have no bulge (yah!) And it seems lower and more streamlined.

The car flows well I guess and is a likely improvement in most people's eyes from the '07s. Personally, I generally like it. Past that, I have no other comments.

I saw the sedan on the road in a charcoal color about 2 days ago... I thought it was worse in person than in the pictures. What REALLY stood out was when I was passing it, the giant bulbous headlights from the side view.

Opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one, so here's mine...

I stopped by the Honda dealer because I was car shopping with some import loving friends and checked a new Accord out. From the outside I think it's one of the better looking Honda's ever built, it looks good. The rear end reminds me of some older smaller 4-door Saturns. I thought the interior was hideous. Center console is ugly and the radio is huge. I was surprised to see an uneven panel gap in the dash. Didn't drive it, the interior turned me off enough.

3 pages and nobody wants to talk about this:

Posted Image

I realize this is the v6 model, but I thought the Honda Accord stood for practicality and economy? 19 mpg? I'm fairly sure the new hybrid Yukons get better city mpg than this accord. It's a brave new world that we live in.

I bet a lot of people were surprised when the new EPA standard dropped most mid-size V6 sedans into the teens for city mileage. The new hybrid Yukon gets 20/22, and will likely get less real world economy if previous hybrids are any indication, not to mention highway mileage.

The Accord is larger and heavier than all of these, yet gets better mileage:

Accord 19/29

Camry 19/28

Aura 17/26

Altima 20/26

Fusion 18/26

3 pages and nobody wants to talk about this:

Posted Image

I realize this is the v6 model, but I thought the Honda Accord stood for practicality and economy? 19 mpg? I'm fairly sure the new hybrid Yukons get better city mpg than this accord. It's a brave new world that we live in.

19/29

The same MPG rating as a 1995 Chevy Lumina. <_<

I bet a lot of people were surprised when the new EPA standard dropped most mid-size V6 sedans into the teens for city mileage. The new hybrid Yukon gets 20/22, and will likely get less real world economy if previous hybrids are any indication, not to mention highway mileage.

The Accord is larger and heavier than all of these, yet gets better mileage:

Accord 19/29

Camry 19/28

Aura 17/26

Altima 20/26

Fusion 18/26

Which makes it even more amazing that the Taurus has just a good ratings. Though, I don't remember what they were exactly.

as much as magazines rave about the V6 engines in midsize cars and the car companies use it as a marketing point.....the V6s are slow sellers and not anywhere near the majority of what Accords or Camrys sell. The Accord and Camrys sell on the basis that the 4 cyl engine is peppy, refined, practical, long lasting, and surprisingly efficient. It is an amazing and legendary combination that no one has duplicated. NO ONE. No, no one is going to buy those cars for power, but when you want a terrific combination of pep, refinement, and efficiency, in a large 4 door sedan, there really is no better. The stat is about 85% for Camry and somewhere near that figure for Accord. When I worked at Honda, the ratio was like 9 for 1 4cyl to 6cyl. No one can overestimate the importance of GM getting an engine that can live up to the 4 cyl at honda and Toyota------they have built their house off the back of 4 cyl engines in four cars Corrola, Camry, Civic, and Accord. To think of how long and how far they have come on cheap and economical but highly sophisticated as a reputation for thier 4 cyl engines is astounding.

After reading comments here, I guess I'm going to have to go take a deeper look at Accord. I saw it driving by on the road the other day, and I had a very positive reaction to it. But I guess to really live with myself, I'll need to be certain of what I'm saying. However, my initial impression was of a triumvirate of leading cars in design in the midsize mecca: Camry, Accord, and Altima. All for different reasons hitting spot on thier market; going in exactly the right trend to what needed to be done for each car's buyer base. Camry I will get lambasted for; well if previous buyers didn't like it they would have fled like they did the 96 Taurus, instead the Camry is doing better than before. Why not? It's a very elegant stylish sedan with one quirk in the nose. Still the nose is immediately distinguishable and friendly and not at all offensive, and even a little sporty. Yes the whole of the message of the design of Camry says I'm sporty without sacrificing any elegance or luxury. In any event, I look forward to seeing Accord and Malibu in person soon.

Which makes it even more amazing that the Taurus has just a good ratings. Though, I don't remember what they were exactly.

thanks. and like my 500 it will do well real world, too. like the 29.6 mpg i got a couple weekends ago on a trip. many ford and gm big cars have gotten good real world mpg in the past.

as much as magazines rave about the V6 engines in midsize cars and the car companies use it as a marketing point.....the V6s are slow sellers and not anywhere near the majority of what Accords or Camrys sell. The Accord and Camrys sell on the basis that the 4 cyl engine is peppy, refined, practical, long lasting, and surprisingly efficient. It is an amazing and legendary combination that no one has duplicated. NO ONE. No, no one is going to buy those cars for power, but when you want a terrific combination of pep, refinement, and efficiency, in a large 4 door sedan, there really is no better. The stat is about 85% for Camry and somewhere near that figure for Accord. When I worked at Honda, the ratio was like 9 for 1 4cyl to 6cyl. No one can overestimate the importance of GM getting an engine that can live up to the 4 cyl at honda and Toyota------they have built their house off the back of 4 cyl engines in four cars Corrola, Camry, Civic, and Accord. To think of how long and how far they have come on cheap and economical but highly sophisticated as a reputation for thier 4 cyl engines is astounding.

those folks need a 9-3. the base 9-3's get good real world mpg....

thanks. and like my 500 it will do well real world, too. like the 29.6 mpg i got a couple weekends ago on a trip. many ford and gm big cars have gotten good real world mpg in the past.

As well as big Chryslers...yes you hate them of course but they do deserve mention.

Edited by Dodgefan

okay got to see the accord in person. and i completely agree with what northstar was thinking about it. I was wrong about the whole "triumvirate" thing. The Accord seems to be nice in motion, and that is also because the angle I was most able to appreciate on the road was the one from behind and side perspective. However, up close the details don't all flow completely. It all works just not to a good point. The car is more interesting than before, but I actually think the Camry may be better looking now.....again up close. From afar like Northie was saying it can look good, but close up the details are evident and their kinda mish mashy.

I look forward to a much more visually appealing Malibu. However, I must say on the inside the Accord is still as practical and smart as ever. The cloth is a great fabric, high quality and tightly fit. the interior all seemed like a solid fit. But it wasn't outstanding, it was sorta dull actually, but I was in an LX, the lowline model. No trimming in that interior, to be expected, since it's lowline. I like it, but it's really just an evolution of what was there before, which leaves the door wide open.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

YEAH.... and the EPA changes had the same effect on hybrids too. Those indications that you mention were due to the previous EPA ratings. The new ratings are actually much closer to the a hybrid's real-world economy. The 20/22 MPG for the Yukon Hybrid are based on the new EPA ratings which mean they should be much closer to the real world economy than the ratings of previous hybrids in years past.

• 1 month later...
The Accord offers a manual transmission, hence the console e-brake. I wish GM would learn this *cough* CTS *cough*...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU....!

The only thing WORSE than having to step on a pedal to activate my emergency brake in my MANUAL SHIFT CTS is the loud and annoying "CA-CLUNK" as I pull the release lever before driving away again.....not a premium feel or sound I tell you.....

Plus, no one seems to think of this....engaging the foot brake forces me to shift to neutral, disengage the clutch, THEN move my left foot over to the pedal brake so that I can activate it....

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU....!

The only thing WORSE than having to step on a pedal to activate my emergency brake in my MANUAL SHIFT CTS is the loud and annoying "CA-CLUNK" as I pull the release lever before driving away again.....not a premium feel or sound I tell you.....

Plus, no one seems to think of this....engaging the foot brake forces me to shift to neutral, disengage the clutch, THEN move my left foot over to the pedal brake so that I can activate it....

I wonder if an Ebrake with console button is in the future for the CTS. I love handbrakes, although most non enthusiasts don't like the extra clutter in the console area.

I wonder if an Ebrake with console button is in the future for the CTS. I love handbrakes, although most non enthusiasts don't like the extra clutter in the console area.

No, that would be worse from the safety standpoint - I can understand the reasoning behind brake-by-wire, but I'd rather not have my life depend on emergency-brake-by-wire.

Just a reasonably-sized handbrake, as God and the WRC intended.

Hey I'd love an Ebrake console button. Means I still don't have to disengage the clutch to set the parking brake....plus no CA-CHUNK (lol) when you disengage the brake.