1st day at new job

Sixty8panther

After my disillusionment with the dealership business it's

actualy nice to 'work' for a living. I did a couple hours of

orientation and then they threw me right out there.

For the first time in my life I'm a member of a union, and

I feel like I really could stay at this job for a long time. I

better stay with it, I'm tired of bouncing around...

The only bad experience of the day was I sliced open

my knuckle on my right hand. (I'm right handed) And as

luck would have it it was because of some jack-hole in'

Sweeden who decided to ship a 3-foot piece of exhaust

by just slapping a damn label on the catalitic converter.

No cardboard packaging, no taped up sharp corners,

NOTHING. So I grabbed it and felt a slight sting as a

super sharp piece of metal on the end of the catalitic

converter sliced right through my skin, by the time I

glansed at my hand I was already dripping blood. Since

it was busy-busy-busy I just wrapped my finger in

a loose label and packing tape. :P

F***ing SAAB, and more importantly, F***ing useless

emission devices, I hate catalitic converters, it seems

they hate me too.

Welcome to UPS! You will be in pain shortly. If you had any weight to loose you will now loose it. Infact if you didn't have any weight to loose you will now loose it. :)

GOOD LUCK and remember the UPS moto. "If you don't hurt then you aren't working fast enough."

The only bad experience of the day was I sliced open

my knuckle on my right hand. (I'm right handed) And as

luck would have it it was because of some jack-hole in'

Sweeden who decided to ship a 3-foot piece of exhaust

by just slapping a damn label on the catalitic converter.

No cardboard packaging, no taped up sharp corners,

NOTHING. So I grabbed it and felt a slight sting as a

super sharp piece of metal on the end of the catalitic

converter sliced right through my skin, by the time I

glansed at my hand I was already dripping blood. Since

it was busy-busy-busy I just wrapped my finger in

a loose label and packing tape. :P

F***ing SAAB, and more importantly, F***ing useless

emission devices, I hate catalitic converters, it seems

they hate me too.

OK I'm taking bets! How long do you think 68 will last at this job? Maybe I should make it a polling question. :P

Just Kidding 68, I hope it last! Because I want to see you buy a new car before I retire in 22 years. :yes:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Congrats on the new job Sixty8, hopefully it treats you better than the dealership. It's been two years since I've had a job with manual labor and sometimes I wish I could go back to it just for a bit. No real thinking was required where I used to work, just that you could keep up and limit your mistakes. I was sore when I went home but it was also good exercise, something I don't get as much of with an office job.

My uncle in Chicago works for FedEx...he's always talking smack about UPS. 8)

Edited by mustang84

I worked with UPS for a while... Never joined the Teamsters though (Eventhough everyone tried to bully me into it, and eventhough my grandfather was a Teamster)

To paraphrase my 'adventure' there: There are aspects of it I miss but at the same time I don't think I would ever go back. I was in excellent shape (Could pretty much lift 300lbs from the ground) and I LOVE physical labor. I just got real tired of picking up the slack from lazy union members.

CONGRATS, Sixty8 :).

Heh ... I know quite a few people across the US that work for UPS.... I wouldn't mind driving one of those trucks around all day. But, they won't hire me ... because of my weight restrictions :(.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"My feet still twitchin' to the music in my head" ... Mark Chestnut ... 'It Sure Is Monday'

I've never done brown, but I have several friends that used to work at FedEx..I interviewed with them a couple of times..they have some pretty cool package tracking software systems (their main IT shop is in Colorado Springs).

Thanks guys.

Yes it's hard work... I'm not doing brainless lifting either, theres a lot of momorization.

It's nice to go home sore but feeling like I was productive. I'm hurting but I guess I

could stand to loose a few Ell-Bee-Ess-es. I'm 162 right now, just a tad of a beer gut.

We'll see where I am a few months from now. Everyone has been very pleasant.

FoG: I'd be crazy to even work there without the benefits which only kick in once your

Union dues are paid. The benefits are 90% of the reason why people are there.

How many trucks are you loading and how many packages per shift?

I average 1000 to 1200 packages per shift on 4 trucks. I am also secondary sort to a training area (meaning I do the smalls 90% of the time and erregs 75% of the time on our side of the belt).

Thanks guys.

Yes it's hard work... I'm not doing brainless lifting either, theres a lot of momorization.

It's nice to go home sore but feeling like I was productive. I'm hurting but I guess I

could stand to loose a few Ell-Bee-Ess-es. I'm 162 right now, just a tad of a beer gut.

We'll see where I am a few months from now. Everyone has been very pleasant.

FoG: I'd be crazy to even work there without the benefits which only kick in once your

Union dues are paid. The benefits are 90% of the reason why people are there.

That's interesting.. When I worked there the benefits were available despite union membership, but that's been long enough for a new contract to be signed.

The benefits were nice, and the pay was good but I just didn't get enough hours... I am a super efficient person because I cannot stand to have idle time. For example, at my job now we get a 15 minute break. I Never take the break because I don't really want to sit around for that long.

I used to work what we called "The Wall" which is where we would receive 45-53 foot trailers from manufacturers (Parts Unlimited, Square D, etc) and unload them into sort. We (3 of us) would usually average 12-15 trailers a night in right at 3 hours.

I loved the hard work because I love physical labor (I was raised in a rural environment, I've been splitting wood and throwing hay since I can remember) but what pissed me off was that I would go full throttle and do my job, then try to leav only to be pulled to another part of the plant to pick up some lazy bastards slack doing his job. Sure, there were some people who just needed help for one reason or another and I didn't mind that. It's the people who would leave early or not show up to work on time or would take 5 breaks in 2 hours that pissed me off. One of them was really bad for doing 2 of the afore mentioned and any time someone would talk to him about it, he would make a huge scene (shouting, hand gestures, etc) and then immediately run to his union rep. People like that are the very reason I hate unions, they feel as if they're entitled to a free ride. To me it's the same as not getting a job and living off of wellfare for most of one's life. (Again, I realize that not all wellfare recipients are that way)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

There's no free ride here FoG, union or not. This aint the UAW...

I'm bouncing around quite a bit but I loaded 4 trucks today.

There's no free ride here FoG, union or not. This aint the UAW...

I'm bouncing around quite a bit but I loaded 4 trucks today.

:bs:

Believe it or not 68, most UAW & CAW workers that I know, work pretty damn hard and actually care about their jobs. Oh I ain't no blue-collar worker either. I be a white-collar worker! See your stereotypical remarks really don't hold much water, but then, you've never worked in a UAW assembly plant, so how would you know? :scratchchin:

I know that most of the UAW are less educated than I am and somehow think they deserve 400% more pay.

You can thank the UAW for all those Automotive jobs being shipped to China. <_<

Back in the day most unskilled workers who were putting together Cutlass & Regal four doors at the old

Framingham plant in the 1980s were making $50/hr. I'd be happy to make 1/3 of that... in 2007 money!

I know that most of the UAW are less educated than I am and somehow think they deserve 400% more pay.

You can thank the UAW for all those Automotive jobs being shipped to China. <_<

Back in the day most unskilled workers who were putting together Cutlass & Regal four doors at the old

Framingham plant in the 1980s were making $50/hr. I'd be happy to make 1/3 of that... in 2007 money!

More stereotypical BS! Jobs are moving to China and India, because the prevailing wage is about a dollar - five dollars an hour depending on what you do. All sectors of the American workforce/economy are moving to those type of countries. Even the high tech jobs in the computer industry, so don't blame the UAW.

They're the same people that built your 50 year old cars you tool around in.

I hear that UPS will be outsourcing more work soon with the next contract. Are you ready? :P

More education you say? From what I see of your post, and what I know of UAW members, you can't prove that by me. :nono:

I can not beleive that people on THIS forum do not agree that the UAW have gone too far!? :blink:

I can not beleive that people on THIS forum do not agree that the UAW have gone too far!? :blink:

You'd made a blanket declaration indicting UAW workers in general as being stupid, lazy, and overpaid. Why would anyone - especially those that have met or are UAW members - agree with that?

Has the UAW gone "too far?" In aspects, without a doubt. There is a need for solidarity, but the union needs to realize that GM is no longer the enemy; Toyota et al is. Making concession and rational sacrifices is a means to preserve both and allow both parties to thrive. I've said this for awhile that the union fought long and hard for the equality and benefits we all enjoy today. Not recognizing that modern health care, 40 hour work week, labor laws, safety regulations, and nondiscriminatory work practices are the direct result of union action. Society owes labor unions gratitude and recognition for it. Now, its time for the union to take a step back, realize what it has done, and work to ensure that all workers receive equal treatment. Now is not a time to be greedy and irrational for short-term gains at the cost of long-term unemployment, something certain to happen if the Big Three are stonewalled into leaving the union (GM), leaving the country (Ford), or leaving for good (Chrysler).

But, guess what? I can seperate the UAW organization from individual workers who do their jobs well. And for jobs going abroad, I blame the UAW organization slightly. I also blame our government, those foreign governments who exploit their workers, and the general American population that mills about on a daily basis not caring about anything but OMG Britney, Desperate Housewives, and what's on sale at American Eagle.

Congrats to you, S.H. It's a good thing to get onto standard employment. I know some people who bounced around some archi firms in Cali, ultimately to take a job at "the state" for many of the same reasons.

I'm ramping up for a job search since I'm returning to my first occupation...and relocating to boot. I'm not looking forward to it, since I again have to ask firms for a job. It'll work out since I have passed the licensing tests already. I'm being cautious, having been involved in "bad fits" before. A "good fit" makes work MUCH easier.

Did you just pull an application and apply? How did you land on this? Let us know.

Well said Fly.

My first encounter (one on one) with a UAW member was a guy who used to work at the GM plant

in Framingham in the mid 1980s... he was bragging about how he made $50 and hour there while

pretty much working at quite a comfortabe pace and never breaking a sweat.

($50 in 1985 is at least $100 today)

Parasites like this guy are why that GM plant stopped making cars after the RWD/BOF G-body was

replaced and he has the balls to brag about it. <_<

(for the record that plant still stands as Adesa: the biggest automotive auction on the east coast)

Edited by Sixty8panther

3-Bob:

I was recomended (refered) by a friend of SpeedingPenguin's, but before even that I had

a customer looking at Tahoes at the dealership who told me to get out of the car business

because I'm not enough of a jerk to sell cars. He's been a UPS employee for 18 years.

3-Bob:

I was recomended (refered) by a friend of SpeedingPenguin's, but before even that I had

a customer looking at Tahoes at the dealership who told me to get out of the car business

because I'm not enough of a jerk to sell cars. He's been a UPS employee for 18 years.

Keep it up, SixtyEight, you're on a role insulting just about everyone that has a job that you couldn't succeed in............ <_<

You don't have to be a jerk to sell cars, just know how to read the customer and figure out how much honesty they can handle.

You'd made a blanket declaration indicting UAW workers in general as being stupid, lazy, and overpaid. Why would anyone - especially those that have met or are UAW members - agree with that?

Has the UAW gone "too far?" In aspects, without a doubt. There is a need for solidarity, but the union needs to realize that GM is no longer the enemy; Toyota et al is. Making concession and rational sacrifices is a means to preserve both and allow both parties to thrive. I've said this for awhile that the union fought long and hard for the equality and benefits we all enjoy today. Not recognizing that modern health care, 40 hour work week, labor laws, safety regulations, and nondiscriminatory work practices are the direct result of union action. Society owes labor unions gratitude and recognition for it. Now, its time for the union to take a step back, realize what it has done, and work to ensure that all workers receive equal treatment. Now is not a time to be greedy and irrational for short-term gains at the cost of long-term unemployment, something certain to happen if the Big Three are stonewalled into leaving the union (GM), leaving the country (Ford), or leaving for good (Chrysler).

But, guess what? I can seperate the UAW organization from individual workers who do their jobs well. And for jobs going abroad, I blame the UAW organization slightly. I also blame our government, those foreign governments who exploit their workers, and the general American population that mills about on a daily basis not caring about anything but OMG Britney, Desperate Housewives, and what's on sale at American Eagle.

Agreed.Period. :yes:

Keep it up, SixtyEight, you're on a role insulting just about everyone that has a job that you couldn't succeed in............ <_<

You don't have to be a jerk to sell cars, just know how to read the customer and figure out how much honesty they can handle.

I don't think he was trying to insult those of you that are car sales people. He was just stating what others said to him.

Well said Fly.

My first encounter (one on one) with a UAW member was a guy who used to work at the GM plant

in Framingham in the mid 1980s... he was bragging about how he made $50 and hour there while

pretty much working at quite a comfortabe pace and never breaking a sweat.

($50 in 1985 is at least $100 today)

Parasites like this guy are why that GM plant stopped making cars after the RWD/BOF G-body was

replaced and he has the balls to brag about it. <_<

(for the record that plant still stands as Adesa: the biggest automotive auction on the east coast)

You believe everything someone tells you? No one working on the line in the UAW was making 50 bucks and hour in 1985.

Here is what workers make for the big 3 in the USA in 2007.

Wage Rate of GM/Ford/DaimlerChrysler

UAW Represented Assembly Workers as of March 5, 2007

GM Assembler Hourly Rate $26.09

COLA 1.77

$27.86

FORD Assembler Hourly Rate $26.10

COLA 1.83

$27.93

DAIMLERCHRYSLER Hourly Rate $26.86

Assembler COLA 1.89

$28.75

That is inline with a UPS full-scale driver of $28.15 per hour. Good money, but not over done. It's too bad our country didn't have more jobs like this now days.

Agreed. But if I WAS the one making $28 while most people working just as hard were making $10

I sure as hell wouldn't be PMSing about it and threatening a strike every year because I have to

pay $1.00 for my $70 prescription pills.

UAW is greedy, there was a time they were just trying to earn an honest wage, but that was right

around the time my Buick was a new car.

Carbiz:

If you can honestly tell me you do not have a few shady/crooked co-workers at your dealership

then let me be the first to tell you you should call up the Guiness Book of World records. The most

difficult thing for me as a salesman in MY neck of the woods is difusing the customer who is being

a jerk to ME as payback to the last scumbag carsalesman who treated him poorly.

It's my PERSONAL experience that about 40% of car salesman are drug addicts, sociopaths and

in some cases ex-cons. I'm DEAD serious about that. I can't speak for Canada but down here in

New England there is a good reason why car salesman have a bad reputation.

Agreed. But if I WAS the one making $28 while most people working just as hard were making $10

I sure as hell wouldn't be PMSing about it and threatening a strike every year because I have to

pay $1.00 for my $70 prescription pills.

UAW is greedy, there was a time they were just trying to earn an honest wage, but that was right

around the time my Buick was a new car.

Ohhh, so now you have a problem with $28, what happen to the $50? :smilewide: Oh I know that's just some number you pulled out of your a$$. Which is how I think you operate in general. $28 is in line with what one of your UPS full-scale drivers makes.

I think your problem is your just jealous and the only one I see PMSing about everything is you. You might try Midol, I'm sure the UAW might be able to scrape up some cash to send you a case of it. :P

P.S. I thought the UAW contracts were 3 years, so how are they threatening to strike every year? :bs:

Like I said in an earlier post, rather than taking the first job at a dealership that said yes, you should have done the interviewing back. It sounds to me like you've worked at the worst dealerships in New England. Otherwise, if that is representative of what happens in the U.S., I am glad to be a Canadian! :lol:

There are two or three 'inexperienced' (read: old school) salespeople in our dealership right now, but they won't last. We've only had two real 'scumbag' sales people ever work here in the ten years I've been here and they were both fired. We have had lots of lazy, stupid and bi-polar sales people over the years, but none of them have last more than a year or so.

It all depends on the management, which is why you should be doing some interviewing back. I do know of dealerships where the management thrives on creating tension and competition on the show room floor, but those dealers are also at the bottom of the satisfaction scores AND volume, not coincidentally.

Apparent digression:

I remember when I opened my first video store in 1985: I was a 24 year old kid with no experience at having my own business, but I did have access to a lot of money, and so when we signed a $25,000 franchise Agreement with National Video (that used to have 1,000 stores in the U.S. when Wayne Huizenga [blockbuster] was still organizing garbage trucks), I turned to my (17 year old) sister and said,"This reminds me of that old joke about not wanting to join a club that would allow anyone like me to join!" I should have heeded my own advice: National Video's subfranchisor in Canada went bankrupt 6 months later and I had basically pissed away $50 grand that I had wasted on that store that I could have put to better use. The moral of the story: the fact that they would take me showed how desperate they were. I kind of realized that then, and I guess I did show them, because I ran my (two) stores for 11 years AFTER National Video ceased to exist.

You can be successful at whatever you put your mind to. Sometimes that may mean just outlasting the fools that hired you; other times it means outsmarting the burnt out, jaded customers who have been abused at other places.

It all depends on the management, which is why you should be doing some interviewing back. I do know of dealerships where the management thrives on creating tension and competition on the show room floor, but those dealers are also at the bottom of the satisfaction scores AND volume, not coincidentally.

I agree, I've seen this first hand...

Our dealership in my home town was owned/managed by someone from that town for years. Most of the salespeople had worked there a long time and most of them were very kind or at least polite. The owner sold out to a firm that owns a bunch of dealerhsips in Florida.

Both the quality of the dealership and the salespeople has went through the floor. It's pretty much a revolving door for assholes and drugies (Small town --Remember, I went to school with most of these people) and I don't think they sell hardly anything now. They stock nothing and at one point thought about closing the Chevy dealership (It's a Chevy and Ford dealer) Then during one of the "Fire sales of used cars" that occured at the Ford dealership, they locked up the Chevy dealer and hung a sign on the door that said "Please go to the Ford dealership for assistance. LOL :rolleyes:

I agree, I've seen this first hand...

Our dealership in my home town was owned/managed by someone from that town for years. Most of the salespeople had worked there a long time and most of them were very kind or at least polite. The owner sold out to a firm that owns a bunch of dealerhsips in Florida.

Both the quality of the dealership and the salespeople has went through the floor. It's pretty much a revolving door for assholes and drugies (Small town --Remember, I went to school with most of these people) and I don't think they sell hardly anything now. They stock nothing and at one point thought about closing the Chevy dealership (It's a Chevy and Ford dealer) Then during one of the "Fire sales of used cars" that occured at the Ford dealership, they locked up the Chevy dealer and hung a sign on the door that said "Please go to the Ford dealership for assistance. LOL :rolleyes:

This is why I am dead-set against 'multiple-store ownership,' especially when the owner team owns cross-brands. There is too much conflict of interest.

Toyota has largely ridden on the coat tails of GM in North America because many cash-rich Chevy franchisees bought Toyota franchises when they were a song, then taught them how to sell and market vehicles in North America for FREE. Now that Toyota is on the way up, and GM on the way down, those same dealers could give a &#036;h&#33; because their (older) stores are paid for, probably sitting on real estate that is worth a fortune anyway, and their retirement fund is assured due to the monies rolling in from their Toyota/Honda franchises.

Not exactly a business model for future success at GM, is it?

Ohhh, so now you have a problem with $28, what happen to the $50? :smilewide: Oh I know that's just some number you pulled out of your a$$. Which is how I think you operate in general. $28 is in line with what one of your UPS full-scale drivers makes.

I think your problem is your just jealous and the only one I see PMSing about everything is you. You might try Midol, I'm sure the UAW might be able to scrape up some cash to send you a case of it. :P

P.S. I thought the UAW contracts were 3 years, so how are they threatening to strike every year? :bs:

Dude, seriously... f*** off.

I have heard the $50 figure form more than one person, and if you really think

that even $28 is not a VERY respectable wage than you're on crack. I know

senior accountants working at high-tech corporations making in the low $20s

and even i the white collar world that's not bad these days.

Sure I'm jelaous, I'd LOVE to assemble GM product, esp. some of those Zetas

that willl make your GP-GXP look like a Chevy Celebrity wagon. The problem is

that there's not ONE GM assembly plant in New England.

PCS, dont bother, its like reading Nietzsche to a porpoise, it just isn't going to take.

If Jean-Paul Sartre was right about his theory of hell (no exit) then you'll

be sharing a hotel room with me and Drew Barrymore when we're dead. :wink:

Just because I've driven a Camaro does not mean I have a mullett & just

because you think I'm a dumbass does not mean you're brilliant.

Yes Carbiz, things must be much differnt in Canada... for the better.

You can be successful at whatever you put your mind to. Sometimes that may mean just outlasting the fools that hired you; other times it means outsmarting the burnt out, jaded customers who have been abused at other places.

See, that right there is wat annoys me, I do not want to play mind games.

I want to sell a product I beleive in and make an honest living because

people like the product, not because I outsmart them with bull***t.

I was told at the dealership I'm too muxh of a GM fan to sell GM... :blink:

The dealer network here in the US is FUBAR!!!

Dude, seriously... f*** off.

I have heard the $50 figure form more than one person, and if you really think

that even $28 is not a VERY respectable wage than you're on crack. I know

senior accountants working at high-tech corporations making in the low $20s

and even i the white collar world that's not bad these days.

Sure I'm jelaous, I'd LOVE to assemble GM product, esp. some of those Zetas

that willl make your GP-GXP look like a Chevy Celebrity wagon. The problem is

that there's not ONE GM assembly plant in New England.

Who said it wasn't respectable? I just said it wasn't $50, like you constantly spout off. It's not $50 today so guess what, it was never $50 in 1985. It's so like you 68, whenever you can't win an argument you resort to the F bomb and trying to tear down what other people have worked hard to get. See that's the key 68, to have something nice you have to put your nose to the grindstone and keep with it. You know like relationships, jobs, friends, etc. I could go on, but I think you get the point on that. :smilewide:

GM spent about $200 million to refurbish Framingham's paint shop at the close of the 80's. The plant closed a mere 6 months after the project was completed. :P

You're right Satty, I might be better off talking to a porpoise. :yes:

Yes Carbiz, things must be much differnt in Canada... for the better.

See, that right there is wat annoys me, I do not want to play mind games.

I want to sell a product I beleive in and make an honest living because

people like the product, not because I outsmart them with bull***t.

I was told at the dealership I'm too muxh of a GM fan to sell GM... :blink:

The dealer network here in the US is FUBAR!!!

I don't want to knock you because you are young (we were all young once), but if you think you can coast through life and not have to play by somebody else's rules, or learn to bend them youself, then you will need the protection of a union. To truly make it in life, learning how to play the 'game' or how to run circles around your boss/manager/HR department or whatever - that is often more essential than knowing the job itself.

Take a good, hard look at people who have really made in in business or their careers: they are experts at playing whatever game they have chosen to be in.

I've only met one slimeball salesman in Calgary.

When we didn't buy a van from this guy he called every 30 minutes for a day trying to save the deal and then when he saw us driving around in the Trans Sport, and left an angry phone message cause we didn't buy the van he offered. Little did he know that we picked up on his lie on when a financing sale at the dealership was over and that's why he didn't get the sale. Funny thing is, he's still there, and is now the SALES MANAGER.

He also apparently sends angry letters to bloggers... he's the author of the angry Email on this page...

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/advert.html

(Just scroll down to the letter, it's kinda deep in the page)

not because I outsmart them with bull***t.

*chuckles*

Ya know, Sixty8 ... the phrase I quoted above caught my funny bone and set off my irony alarms ... all at the same time.

After all ... wasn't the dealership you were at a Chevy dealership in part? Chevy has been dealing that crap to their enthusiasts since the mid-1980s, starting with the Toyota nova......................................

*rolls eyes*

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You got your blinders on" ... Sheryl Crow ... 'Real Gone'