Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2008 Sierra "All Terrain" Package

BigPontiac

I noticed this on the GMC.com site when building a 2008 Sierra:

All-Terrain Package, includes (PDL) Z71 Off-Road Package, (B58) front and rear carpeted floor mats with embroidered "ALL TERRAIN" logo, (RGA) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) chrome-clad aluminum wheels, (QXN) P265/65R18 on-/off-road blackwall tires, (DL3) outside heated power-adjustable, power-folding body-colored mirrors, (Z82) heavy-duty trailering equipment, Rancho brand shocks that are White with Red letters, body-colored bodyside moldings with chrome accent, unique 4-bar horizontal grille insert with chrome surround, "ALL TERRAIN" badging on the front fenders, unique sill plates, unique instrument cluster with Z71 logo and mechanical brushed aluminum accents for instrument panel, center console and switch trim plates (GAT)

Then I found this buried in the gallery:

Posted Image

Posted Image

GMC Website Information

Edited by BigPontiac

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That badge placement looks horrible.

And riddle me this in the age of duplication elimination; why the HELL is GMC still using "Z71"?

Call it MARKETING. Since it's introduction with the 1988 redesign, customers have come to know that "Z71" means the GMC or Chevy full-size pickup is off-road ready. Whether the customer needs the extra off-roading equipment or not, it's much better to say you have a Z71-equipped truck then just saying it's a 4 wheel drive pickup. I wish I can recall where I read about this, but there was an article saying that customers resonate with Z71... it would be silly for either GMC or Chevy to abandon it. Notice that the Canyon & Colorado lost the ZR2 off-road package in 2004 and they too used Z71... Yukons and Tahoes had this option available on the 2-door models, it just wasn't advertised as such (until the redesigned 2000 Tahoe & Suburban Z71 package came along). Ford has FX4, Dodge has their package (can't remember what its called), and Toyota has their TRD package too. All the truck manufacturers have their off-roading trim blazened on their trucks somewhere.

Someone call GMTruckGuy...he's going to sell his children for this.

Well, I wouldn't go that far :AH-HA_wink:

I have to say I'm a little disappointed... mainly because of the 18" rim design - I'm not crazy about the "star" shape they've chosen. I do like the Sierra Denali bodyside moldings better than the standard Sierra moldings and the upgraded chrome four-bar grille. I will agree that the fender emblem does look a little out of place. It's very close to the SEMA version; see attached picture for proof. I will need to see it in person to see if it really makes a statement over the regular Sierra crew cab model.

The funny thing is the wife and I saw a really nice black all-new 2007 Sierra Denali the other day on the road and she said "Why don't you get that one?" I said "You're trying to kill me, aren't you? You say we have to cut back on spending, yet you are encouraging me to get a $44k truck?" :stupid:

post-418-1190172229_thumb.jpg

Call it MARKETING. Since it's introduction with the 1988 redesign, customers have come to know that "Z71" means the GMC or Chevy full-size pickup is off-road ready. Whether the customer needs the extra off-roading equipment or not, it's much better to say you have a Z71-equipped truck then just saying it's a 4 wheel drive pickup. I wish I can recall where I read about this, but there was an article saying that customers resonate with Z71... it would be silly for either GMC or Chevy to abandon it. Notice that the Canyon & Colorado lost the ZR2 off-road package in 2004 and they too used Z71... Yukons and Tahoes had this option available on the 2-door models, it just wasn't advertised as such (until the redesigned 2000 Tahoe & Suburban Z71 package came along). Ford has FX4, Dodge has their package (can't remember what its called), and Toyota has their TRD package too. All the truck manufacturers have their off-roading trim blazened on their trucks somewhere.

So it's like Jeep's "TrailRated"

Ran my the local dealer and they have a brochure no the 08 All Terrain. I like the new grille, but not the badge placement on the fenders nor the wheels. They don't appear tough enough, but at least they are 18's and they aren't shared with the Silverado.

Ran my the local dealer and they have a brochure no the 08 All Terrain. I like the new grille, but not the badge placement on the fenders nor the wheels. They don't appear tough enough, but at least they are 18's and they aren't shared with the Silverado.

K.C., are you saying that GMC dealers have a separate brochure (is it a hero card?) for the All-Terrain model? Or is it a section of the Sierra full-line brochure? I stopped by my local GMC dealership last night and they have no 2008 brochures available yet. I may have to call GM Marketing for these Sierra brochures right away today!

This package is available on SLE and SLT extended cab and crew cab pickups (BigPontiac, your subheading is incorrect).

The option only showed up when I built an SLT. (It also removed the sunroof as an option when picking the All Terrain package...) The info page has a passing reference to SLE2, but the specs page confirms. Headline adjusted.

Edited by BigPontiac

Seems like a nice package, something similar to what Ford has been doing for years with their F-150, with all their trim packages (and it calls to mind GMC special editions from the 70's). I kinda like those wheels, too. Edited by ocnblu

K.C., are you saying that GMC dealers have a separate brochure (is it a hero card?) for the All-Terrain model? Or is it a section of the Sierra full-line brochure? I stopped by my local GMC dealership last night and they have no 2008 brochures available yet. I may have to call GM Marketing for these Sierra brochures right away today!

Yup, its a stand alone doublesided flyer almost. It is a great looking truck in person, we have a bunch of them around here at work that are in the waiting to be pep vehicles. I think GM should give me one to drive even though I'm not an executive, I 'll gladly do it I swear. I don't mind the badge placement, but I think the Z71 and the All-Terrain package should be seperate packages, not grouped together.

I believe the seats were two-tone leather from the flyer, but my memory is about 10 seconds long anyway...what did I just say?!

Yup, its a stand alone doublesided flyer almost. It is a great looking truck in person, we have a bunch of them around here at work that are in the waiting to be pep vehicles. I think GM should give me one to drive even though I'm not an executive, I 'll gladly do it I swear. I don't mind the badge placement, but I think the Z71 and the All-Terrain package should be seperate packages, not grouped together.

I believe the seats were two-tone leather from the flyer, but my memory is about 10 seconds long anyway...what did I just say?!

BigPontiac, I hope I didn't come off rude... I just wanted you to know that you can get this package on the SLE2 and SLT models and wanted to make sure others who read this topic knew that too (that you didn't have to get the top-of-the-line SLT in order to get this package). Thanks for taking the time to correct the heading :thumbsup:

RJB, thanks for the update on the brochure. It sounds like it's a hero card - the type they pass out at auto shows. I will definitely give GM Marketing a call today to request these brochures ('08 Sierra, All-Terrain Sierra, and if it's still separate, the Sierra Denali).

Also, since you work at the plant and see these trucks in person, how do the wheels come off to you? That one picture GMC is showing doesn't give me much to work with, but I'm not liking what I see. I feel that the wheels should be more substantial since it's an off-road packaged truck. The star-shape looks too blingy and not rough enough, at least from the one pic shown. Please keep us updated when they start to ship; when I visited the website for info, it said this package would be available in September 2007. Now I just have to start visiting other larger GMC dealerships than my smaller, local one to see if they get one in I can check out.

Here's a small picture from the GM online ordering guide of the All-Terrain's 18" chrome-clad rim (RPO RGA):

Posted Image

And here's more about the package itself:

NEW! All-Terrain Package, includes (PDL) Z71 Off-Road Package, (B58) front and rear carpeted floor mats with embroidered "ALL TERRAIN" logo, (RGA) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) chrome-clad aluminum wheels, (QXN) P265/65R18 on-/off-road blackwall tires, (DL3) outside heated power-adjustable, power-folding body-colored mirrors, (Z82) heavy-duty trailering equipment, Rancho brand shocks that are White with Red letters, body-colored bodyside moldings with chrome accent, unique 4-bar horizontal grille insert with chrome surround, "ALL TERRAIN" badging on the front fenders, unique sill plates, unique instrument cluster with Z71 logo and mechanical brushed aluminum accents for instrument panel, center console and switch trim plates.

1 (SLE2 3SB) - Requires T*10753 or T*10543 models. Requires (19C) Ebony Premium Cloth. Includes Vortec 5.3L V8 engine with an available upgrade to (L76) Vortec 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI engine. Also, includes (XA7) heated windshield washer fluid system. Mirrors are Black if (DPN) outside vertical camper mirrors is ordered. Not available with (CF5) power sunroof or (TRW) roof lamp provisions.

2 (SLT 4SA) - Requires T*10753 or T*10543 models. Requires (193) Ebony, (223) Morocco Brown/Ebony or (853) Light Titanium/Ebony Ultrasoft Leather-appointed trim. Includes Vortec 5.3L V8 engine with an available upgrade to (L76) Vortec 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI engine. Mirrors are Black if (DPN) is ordered. Not available with (CF5) power sunroof.

BigPontiac, I hope I didn't come off rude... I just wanted you to know that you can get this package on the SLE2 and SLT models and wanted to make sure others who read this topic knew that too (that you didn't have to get the top-of-the-line SLT in order to get this package). Thanks for taking the time to correct the heading :thumbsup:

RJB, thanks for the update on the brochure. It sounds like it's a hero card - the type they pass out at auto shows. I will definitely give GM Marketing a call today to request these brochures ('08 Sierra, All-Terrain Sierra, and if it's still separate, the Sierra Denali).

Also, since you work at the plant and see these trucks in person, how do the wheels come off to you? That one picture GMC is showing doesn't give me much to work with, but I'm not liking what I see. I feel that the wheels should be more substantial since it's an off-road packaged truck. The star-shape looks too blingy and not rough enough, at least from the one pic shown. Please keep us updated when they start to ship; when I visited the website for info, it said this package would be available in September 2007. Now I just have to start visiting other larger GMC dealerships than my smaller, local one to see if they get one in I can check out.

Well I'll see what I can do to produce some pics, I think there is one at a dealer close by that I can take a pic of. I don't mind the wheels...now. They are growing on me, the first All-Terrain's I saw did not have the star patterned wheel, they were a standard Sierra wheel. So this must have been a early build, and now they have the wheel we see now.

GMTG, Yeah, its a separate minibrochure with a fold out portion with a card for you to send in for more information on the 2008 Sierra. The picture on the minibrochure is the same as that shown in the thread above. Head over to the dealer and see if they have you a copy.

Dodge's Off-Road 4-wheel-drive package is the TRX4, quietly released since 2006 on Dakota and Ram (Durango SLT's Adventurer Package I believe is appearence only). Also, anyone remember the 1994-2003 GMC Sonoma/1995-2001 Jimmy's Highrider group, basically the ZR2 equivalent? (ZR5 I think was only a mere appaearence package from 2001-04, yes, cre cab S-10/Sonomas continued early into 2004).

And to go further back and more obscure into trim package history, anyone ever heard of the Jimmy/Sierra Desert Fox? I know very little about it but it looked like an off-road or appearence package, offered 1978 only-saw it in one of my truck books once.

The online ordering guide has slightly upgraded their description of the All-Terrain package from what I posted earlier (bolded items are what has been updated):

(RPO) GAT NEW! All-Terrain Package, includes (PDL) Z71 Off-Road Package, (Z82) Trailering Package, (B58) front and rear carpeted floor mats, (RGA) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) chromed aluminum wheels, (QXN) P265/65R18 on-/off-road blackwall tires, (DL3) outside heated power-adjustable, power-folding body-colored mirrors, Rancho brand shocks that are White with Red letters, body-colored side moldings with chrome accent, unique four bar horizontal grille insert with chrome surround, "ALL TERRAIN" badging on the front fenders, carpeted floor mats with embroidered "All Terrain" logo, unique sill plates, unique instrument cluster with Z71 logo and "mechanical brushed aluminum" accents for instrument panel, center console and switch trim plates. Available and requires either of (16U) Steel Gray Metallic, (41U) Onyx Black, (46U) Stealth Gray Metallic, (50U) Summit White, (59U) Silver Birch Metallic or (74U) Fire Red exterior colors

1 (SLE2 3SB) - Requires T*10753 or T*10543 models. Requires (19C) Ebony Premium Cloth. standard Vortec 5.3L V8 engine can be upgraded to (L76) Vortec 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI engine. Includes (XA7) heated windshield washer fluid system; (QXN) P265/65R18 on-/off-road blackwall tires can be upgraded to (QXQ) P265/65R18 on-/off-road White-outlined letter tires. Mirrors are Black if (DPN) outside heated power-adjustable vertical camper mirrors is ordered. Not available with (CF5) sunroof, (PCY) Towing Package, or (TRW) roof lamp provisions on T*10753 models.

2 (SLT 4SA) - Requires T*10753 or T*10543 models. Requires (193) Ebony, (223) Morocco Brown/Ebony or (853) Light Titanium/Ebony Ultrasoft Leather-appointed trim. Standard 5.3L V8 engine can be upgraded to (L76) Vortec 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI engine; (QXN) P265/65R18 on-/off-road blackwall tires can be upgraded to (QXQ) P265/65R18 on-/off-road White-outlined letter tires. Mirrors are Black if (DPN) outside heated power-adjustable vertical camper mirrors is ordered. Not available with (CF5) sunroof, (PCY) Towing Package, or (TRW) roof lamp provisions on T*10753 models.

What I really want to see now is the interior features of the All-Terrain package. The following from the above description has definitely caught my attention: carpeted floor mats with embroidered "All Terrain" logo, unique sill plates, unique instrument cluster with Z71 logo and "mechanical brushed aluminum" accents for instrument panel, center console and switch trim plates.

Trail-Rated is more of a slogan at Jeep I believe. For the real Jeeps, not the car-based abominations. The only good color on there you can get is the Stealth Gray (slate grey, basically), but these big trucks have a very lame selection anyway.

Z-66 (which I think should be revived, just because it sounds cool) was a 2002-06 Chevy Avalanche Premium On-Road Suspension Package, I don't remember if it was available elsewhere.

No offense taken. You're just much more thorough than I was investigating the option package. I stumbled upon while building a 2008, then went looking for a picture, then posted the thread.

I was hoping this package would give the two-tone interior from the Z71 package available on the Chevy Tahoe which also eliminates the wood and makes it all brushed aluminum. Also the 2007 Silverado getting 18" wheels with the Z71 package while the Sierra only got 17" also struck me as odd at launch.

I'm more a fan of the Z85 suspension than the Z71, so I'm still looking for GMC to offer a "sport" package alternative for the SLE or SLT much like the Denali goes for luxury. What I want is a new Sierra SLT 4x4 X-Cab (Fire Red) with two-tone interior (black with grey inserts) and all aluminum trim, with the 6.0 liter Max package w/6 speed auto, sunroof and Z85 suspension. Then I'd like it to have the All Terrain/Denali side molding, Escalade painted and chrome side mirrors and the smooth tailgate protector from the Sierra 2500. The 17" wheels don't seem bad, but I want OWL tires with an aggressive tread like the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's I have now. All of this encourages me to hang on to my current truck as GM doesn't make what I want.

Tahoe Z71 Interior:

Posted Image

Edited by BigPontiac

BigPontiac, I got a hold of the Sierra All-Terrain hero card on Saturday and the Tahoe Z71 interior picture that you posted is the same interior that's offered on the Sierra All-Terrain (SLT package; no idea what the SLE2 interior looks like). Also, from the picture of the truck, it shows it equipped with Bridgestone <something - maybe Dueler?> A/T tires. SLT models will have the option of an Ebony, two-tone Ebony/Light Titanium, and two-tone Ebony/Morocco interior color choices. And seeing as how it comes with painted mirror caps & door handles, the Sierra Denali's bodyside molding, and the 6.0L V8 as an option, I think GM has come pretty close to what you want in a new Sierra. I'm curious as to how the brushed aluminum trim will appear on the SLE2 model with the Work Truck (or pure pickup) dash, as that would be the package I would go for (I'd love the SLT, but I think that would be pushing the upper limits of what my wife would allow me to spend! :lol: ) I live in one of those golf course communities and parked in the club house parking lot today was a black Sierra Denali (new body style). I'd love to have that above all else!

BigPontiac, I got a hold of the Sierra All-Terrain hero card on Saturday and the Tahoe Z71 interior picture that you posted is the same interior that's offered on the Sierra All-Terrain (SLT package; no idea what the SLE2 interior looks like). Also, from the picture of the truck, it shows it equipped with Bridgestone <something - maybe Dueler?> A/T tires. SLT models will have the option of an Ebony, two-tone Ebony/Light Titanium, and two-tone Ebony/Morocco interior color choices. And seeing as how it comes with painted mirror caps & door handles, the Sierra Denali's bodyside molding, and the 6.0L V8 as an option, I think GM has come pretty close to what you want in a new Sierra. I'm curious as to how the brushed aluminum trim will appear on the SLE2 model with the Work Truck (or pure pickup) dash, as that would be the package I would go for (I'd love the SLT, but I think that would be pushing the upper limits of what my wife would allow me to spend! :lol: ) I live in one of those golf course communities and parked in the club house parking lot today was a black Sierra Denali (new body style). I'd love to have that above all else!

I agree they're getting closer, particularly with the two-tone interior option. Though I'd still rather dump the Z71 suspension and Rancho shocks for Z85 and have the sunroof! I'm picking on the tires because the idea of having to pay $800 to replace the tires on a brand new $40K truck bothers me! (I had to do that on my '94 GMC Sonona X-Cab 4x4 -- the OEM Uniroyal Laredo's SUCKED).

GM was using Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693 II on GMT800 Sierras. My friends' 2004 and 2006 Sierras both came with them. They look like this:

Posted Image

The better Bridgestone Duelers that I have now on mine are the Dueler A/T Revo. They look like this:

Posted Image

Another good Dueler that I had prior to the Revo's was the Dueler A/T D693, however they only appear to come in LTs these days. They look like this:

Posted Image

I'll just have to wait and see what one of these trucks looks like when it hits the lot. The 6-speed trans doesn't appear to be coming in 2008, so it appears I'll have to postpone my purchase another year.

Hello All,

My very first post... About 4 hours ago I left the dealership after placing my order for this truck. I know the owner so I pretty much got it for cost, $5000 off the MSRP. It clocked in a tad over 40k, however, I did upgrade to the 6.0, got the Nav radio, power back glass & a few other options along with the SLT pack. It'll be in in 6-8 weeks... can't wait!! My very first "New" truck.

Hello All,

My very first post... About 4 hours ago I left the dealership after placing my order for this truck. I know the owner so I pretty much got it for cost, $5000 off the MSRP. It clocked in a tad over 40k, however, I did upgrade to the 6.0, got the Nav radio, power back glass & a few other options along with the SLT pack. It'll be in in 6-8 weeks... can't wait!! My very first "New" truck.

Congrats. What color combo and cab config?

Congrats on the new truck SuperDarron. When it arrives be sure you take lots of pics of it. You're definitely the envy of me. This is the only truck I'd replace my Av with. Been looking for them on dealer lots and havent been able to find one yet.

I'll post some pics once it arrives. In 6-8 weeks you'll probably see them everywhere. The manager at the dealership was looking at the pics I brought in (the one you guys posted here) & was like "Damn, I need to get some of these here on the lot, these things are gonna sell like crazy". I was telling him "No !!! I don't wanna see one around every corner I turn". :angry:

These are the new 18 x 8 rim pictures at GMC.com. I'm not sure if these are replacing the 5 Star design or not. Anyone know?

Posted Image

I believe those are the standard wheels for the Sierra Denali, with a 20in Denali specific wheel being optional.

The website appears to be "evolving" as it didn't have the All Terrain interior picture posted last week, didn't have Fire Red as a color option in the 360 gallery, etc. My guess is they don't have the correct image posted for the All Terrain wheel and the one pictured on the truck is what it will look like. It still has the same "bug" when you try to build a 1500 Ext Cab standard box 4x4 too on some pages and only comes up with WT or SLE1 as options -- I reported that to GM last year and it's still not fixed!

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a different GMC dealership this past weekend and they didn't have the Sierra brochure (but did have the All-Terrain hero card, which I already have). My local GMC dealership still hasn't gotten in the Sierra brochures either. Does it show the SLE work truck dash in the brochure, since the hero card shows the SLT luxury dash? I gotta find me one of these Sierra brochures ASAP!

GMTG, Yes it does. On page 38 at the bottom left corner. It shows the SLE Extended Cab work truck interior in Light Cashmere Select Cloth.

This was the only 08 Sierra brochure in the rack at this particular dealership. It has a black Denali sitting on the beach on the front of it. I hope you get one soon bud.