Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regfootball

CONSUMER REPORTS LOVES FORD FOCUS

27 posts in this topic

the latest CR ranks small cars and the focus got 2nd in a large group, 1 point behind the Cvic. Mazda3 was 3rd i think. Corolla? 7th...!

Cobalt was like 12th.

Edited by regfootball

The Focus has always been a great car (excellent packaging, ergonomics, suspension, steering)... it's just that it got long in the tooth after 8 years.

It's not a bad car. It provides more of a light feel like the civic and corolla vs the Cobalts heavy feel (more typical American small car).

Who knows, after seeing the new Focus in person, it just might redeem itself, looks-wise. We'll see.

I haven't seen one in person.

I think it'll either be a huge success or a big failure. there is no middle ground with that design IMO.

The basic mechanics are good (I love my 2001) but it ain't 2001 anymore either if you get my drift.

the latest CR ranks small cars and the focus got 2nd in a large group, 1 point behind the Cvic. Mazda3 was 3rd i think. Corolla? 7th...!

Cobalt was like 12th.

Seeeeeeee, CR isn't so bias after all, they chose a Ford. Actually, from what I have been reading, the Focus started to be a good car ever since Ford got rid of the Zetec engines in place of the Mazda-designed 2.0 - 2.3 Duratec engines. Plus they fixed allot of engineering errors which occured with the first Focuses. The first ones were a disaster, I think it was like 12 recalls or more? My buddy's parents bought a Focus in 2000, and for no apparent reason, the engine would stall while driving. :ph34r:

A lot of people here have ripped on the Focus refresh, but seeing it in some real-world pictures it doesn't look that bad. Sync alone will sell the Focus. Honestly, I think it's going to be the Ford Escape pt. 2 where everybody predicted failure because it appears to just be a mild refresh, yet sales proved otherwise. The design was pretty polarizing when I first saw it unveiled (partially due to $h!ty Ford photography), but it's been growing on me especially seeing it in real-world light. Our Focus may not be as good as the European one, but it's by no means a POS. It has decent handling, fairly reliable, and good name recognition.

A lot of people here have ripped on the Focus refresh, but seeing it in some real-world pictures it doesn't look that bad. Sync alone will sell the Focus. Honestly, I think it's going to be the Ford Escape pt. 2 where everybody predicted failure because it appears to just be a mild refresh, yet sales proved otherwise. The design was pretty polarizing when I first saw it unveiled (partially due to $h!ty Ford photography), but it's been growing on me especially seeing it in real-world light. Our Focus may not be as good as the European one, but it's by no means a POS. It has decent handling, fairly reliable, and good name recognition.

speaking of the escape refresh (I assume you're referring to the refresh), it's really grown on me. Maybe the focus looks will too.

yes.

the focus is still a fun car.

the early teething problems were overrated. my sister had a 2001 ZX3 that was flawless and she regretted trading it for the elantra dung she drives now.

what i think is lame about the car press........they laud the yaris and fit and versa, but the focus is as cheap or less, comes close in real world mpg, and provides same/better utility and comfort.

The only objective things wrong with it really is just safety. The '08s curtain airbags definitely help; I hope they beefed up the B-pillar, too. It's a shame stability control isn't available; the Focus had it as an option back in '01 I think.

I just saw an M plate Focus sedan today. I only saw it from a rear 3/4 view so not a complete look at it. One thing I never noticed in the pictures that stood out like a sore thumb on this car was the chrome accented "vent" just in front of the front door. It looked VERY out of place on this car.

my sister's 01 had the advance trac and the rotary moonroof switch. i think they had it through 04 or 05 actually.

No, 2003 was the last year.

Ford needs all the good press they can get right now good for them. The Cobalt is thousands of times better than the Rolla.

That's why I fondly refer to them as Toyota Crapola's! :lol:

The lack of hatchback models is a big turn off of the new Focus compared to the old one. If I were in the compact car market, I'd seriously look at the Astra.

How? I's ugly and a POS when compared to the one in Europe.

The EUR one is heavy and expensive and ugggly with the 1980 GM X car hatch; just because it is assembled by Europens doesn't make it "better". Reason why MAzda 3 is affordable it it's made in Japan. An imported Euro Focus would flop since it would cost too much. Just look at how many VW's sell with their "German Pedigree". So much so that VW is planning to "Americanize" their cars to sell more!

So called "enthusiasts" have to get over themselves.

vw just builds cars in mexico and brazil and tries to pass them off as real german.

i've already read a couple reviews on the new 08 focus and they are encouraging but to me it seems the interior is not what it should have been.

the early teething problems were overrated.

No the Focus was over-rated.

It's an entry level car that off the showroom floor is capable of very little excitement in the automotive world.

No the Focus was over-rated.

It's an entry level car that off the showroom floor is capable of very little excitement in the automotive world.

The Focus had lots of teething problem...bu t when they were worked out it was a good driver's car....but Ford, in typical fashion, let it grow stale on teh market (Crown Vic, old Taurus, Ranger...sound familiar?)

The EUR one is heavy and expensive and ugggly with the 1980 GM X car hatch; just because it is assembled by Europens doesn't make it "better". Reason why MAzda 3 is affordable it it's made in Japan. An imported Euro Focus would flop since it would cost too much. Just look at how many VW's sell with their "German Pedigree". So much so that VW is planning to "Americanize" their cars to sell more!

So called "enthusiasts" have to get over themselves.

Mmmhmm. No need to be delusional, either. Euro Focus > US Focus in every way imaginable.

The Focus is a POS compared to anything but a Corolla, Kia or Hyundai.

I have never understood how this car ever got good ratings.

I doubt you have ever driven one. They are not bad little cars. The Mazda 3 may be better, but that hardly makes the Focus a POS.

I doubt you have ever driven one. They are not bad little cars. The Mazda 3 may be better, but that hardly makes the Focus a POS.

I doubt it as well. Except for being a bit underpowered the 00-04's (especially the SVT version) ran circles around pretty much ALL of its competition. Damn things cornered like they're on rails. Too bad the jackoffs in Dearborn tuned most of the fun out of them after the 05's were introduced.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0