Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pow

2008 Focus pricing and MPG released

24 posts in this topic

Standard TPMS, 2.0L 140 hp PZEV (CA+5) engine, side curtain airbags, A/C, and iPod jack. Cruise control and ABS are optional.

It's lighter and quieter than the '07 model.

Three trim series – Focus S, Focus SE and Focus SES – are available for both body styles.

Base Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price for the 2008 Focus S coupe starts at $14,695, while the new Focus S sedan begins at $14,995. SE models are an additional $1,000. All prices include a $620 destination and delivery charge. The top-of-the-line Focus SES coupe and sedan, with Sync standard, begin at $16,695 and $16,995, respectively.

2008 EPA hwy fuel economy (manual)...

Corolla: 37 MPG

Focus: 35 MPG

Civic: 34 MPG

Elantra: 33 MPG

Mazda3: 32 MPG

Cobalt: 32 MPG

Sentra: 31 MPG

Spectra: 30 MPG

Lancer: 29 MPG

Jetta: 29 MPG

Impreza: 27 MPG

Standard TPMS, 2.0L 140 hp PZEV (CA+5) engine, side curtain airbags, A/C, and iPod jack. Cruise control and ABS are optional.

It's lighter and quieter than the '07 model.

Three trim series – Focus S, Focus SE and Focus SES – are available for both body styles.

Base Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price for the 2008 Focus S coupe starts at $14,695, while the new Focus S sedan begins at $14,995. SE models are an additional $1,000. All prices include a $620 destination and delivery charge. The top-of-the-line Focus SES coupe and sedan, with Sync standard, begin at $16,695 and $16,995, respectively.

2008 EPA hwy fuel economy (manual)...

Corolla: 37 MPG

Focus: 35 MPG

Civic: 34 MPG

Elantra: 33 MPG

Mazda3: 32 MPG

Cobalt: 32 MPG

Sentra: 31 MPG

Spectra: 30 MPG

Lancer: 29 MPG

Jetta: 29 MPG

Impreza: 27 MPG

What's the automatic transmission mileage on the Focus?

wow the jetta and imprezza get woeful mpg.

they should make abs std. as long as the option is cheap.

focus is/was one of the few cars where heated seats could be had with cloth, and real cheap. that still the case?

wow the jetta and imprezza get woeful mpg.

they should make abs std. as long as the option is cheap.

focus is/was one of the few cars where heated seats could be had with cloth, and real cheap. that still the case?

impreza makes sense - awd kills economy.

impreza makes sense - awd kills economy.

The Impreza and Jetta are the only two that exceed 3000 lbs and have engines greater than 2.2 liters.

Saw an Impreza today, btw, and it looks like a Versa sedan. :puke:

Edited by empowah

A little pricey for the Focus-I thought it was only going to offer SE and SEL trims, one of which had a "Deluxe" package. What is this, 1960? Saw the blue coupe at this year's auto show, very little buzz surrounding it, and its obvious almost nobody (including me) is looking forward to this car. Way to NOT listen to your enthusiasts and customers, Ford!

A little pricey for the Focus-I thought it was only going to offer SE and SEL trims, one of which had a "Deluxe" package. What is this, 1960? Saw the blue coupe at this year's auto show, very little buzz surrounding it, and its obvious almost nobody (including me) is looking forward to this car. Way to NOT listen to your enthusiasts and customers, Ford!

For the record, I've rarely heard anyone gush over an econobox-type car, unless of course it was a high-performance variant (Cobalt SS). They're not the exciting part of the market (only a step or so above the minivan for excitement level). Now if Ford were to come out with an SVT model again, which they probably won't....

Plus, this isn't really an all-new model, just another refresh. We probably won't hear a lot of buzz about it until next decade when they finally bring the European version over and make it global.

honestly, high gas prices and all, the reason people buy cars (overwhelmingly) in this country is to save gas money and car payment money. that is why the bar is so low. Time and time again, folks want a little better an bigger nearly all the time if their pocketbook allows.

honestly, high gas prices and all, the reason people buy cars (overwhelmingly) in this country is to save gas money and car payment money. that is why the bar is so low. Time and time again, folks want a little better an bigger nearly all the time if their pocketbook allows.

To emphasize that, all the people who don't really drive all the much and traded their paid-off Tahoes and Expeditions for Prius' are fools.

Instead of thinking, "We'll save hundreds in gas!" they should be thinking, "We'll be spending $25,000 to save hundreds in gas!"

As I've said in my tale of fixing my cracked oil pan, I can either replace it completely for $1200, or top it off with a quart every two months for over 30 years at the same price. Most people would probably do neither and just buy a new car.

To emphasize that, all the people who don't really drive all the much and traded their paid-off Tahoes and Expeditions for Prius' are fools.

Instead of thinking, "We'll save hundreds in gas!" they should be thinking, "We'll be spending $25,000 to save hundreds in gas!"

As I've said in my tale of fixing my cracked oil pan, I can either replace it completely for $1200, or top it off with a quart every two months for over 30 years at the same price. Most people would probably do neither and just buy a new car.

yeah, those that traded a pickup that they had positive equity on, but got lowballed on trade.....and now they save 200 a month in gas got lost their shorts by 10 grand in the transaction.

more specifically to this topic.......there a ton of dumbasses who will go out and buy a similarly equipped civic for mpg at 18,19 thou when they can get a focus for 14 or 15 thou. cobalt too for that matter.

fine if you think the civic is worth 4 grand more, but its simply not. at least for 2007 that price differential exists. i hope ford doesn't jack up real transaction prices.

Edited by regfootball

yeah, those that traded a pickup that they had positive equity on, but got lowballed on trade.....and now they save 200 a month in gas got lost their shorts by 10 grand in the transaction.

more specifically to this topic.......there a ton of dumbasses who will go out and buy a similarly equipped civic for mpg at 18,19 thou when they can get a focus for 14 or 15 thou. cobalt too for that matter.

fine if you think the civic is worth 4 grand more, but its simply not. at least for 2007 that price differential exists. i hope ford doesn't jack up real transaction prices.

So if someone loses money in the long run by trading in their pickup/SUV for a Prius, who cares? They'll be using a lot less gas and polluting a lot less, not to mention that'll be one less full-size pickup/SUV on the road, and one more much smaller, lighter sedan on the road. Less wear and tear on roads, smaller probability of an accident (blind spots, handling, braking distance), less pollution, etc. I certainly wouldn't make a poor financial decision like that, but if some other SUV/Truck driving person wants to, that's fine by me.

The difference between a 14k Focus and a 17k Civic is that Ford allows you to buy a stripped down manual window/door lock, no ABS etc, car while Honda only allows you to buy a Civic with most options standard. Go compare the features. Similarly equipped, the Focus is going to be at best $1,000 less than the Civic, not $4k... and it'll probably still be lacking some of the safety features standard on the Civic. And regardless of cost or features, the Focus will still get less mpg than the Civic... specially if you're comparing the Automatic transmission models.

The difference between a 14k Focus and a 17k Civic is that Ford allows you to buy a stripped down manual window/door lock, no ABS etc, car while Honda only allows you to buy a Civic with most options standard. Go compare the features.

I see where the Civic DX has power windows... and that's about it. No standard radio, no air conditioning for goodness sakes. They may one-up the Focus in safety features, but if I had to go somewhere in a DX model with no A/C, radio, or power anything but windows, I'd just as soon stay home and be safe there.

I see where the Civic DX has power windows... and that's about it. No standard radio, no air conditioning for goodness sakes. They may one-up the Focus in safety features, but if I had to go somewhere in a DX model with no A/C, radio, or power anything but windows, I'd just as soon stay home and be safe there.

Look at the LX. I was responding to Reg's comment comparing an 18-19k Civic to a 14-15k Focus, and saying they were "similarly equipped".

I'd get a Focus over a Civic any day...if we were talking about the Euro Focus...otherwise I'd take the Civic over this thing.

I predict the shock of its new, busier bodystyle will wear off rather quickly, and it will sell well. I kinda like the coupe. I think the Cobalt is due for a front-end refresh... soon. It certainly does trump the Cobalt on mileage ratings, with comparable base engine power.

I'm sorry Ford, but this warmed over car still looks aged. It's pathetic that we get this warmed over mess when Europe gets a much more refined Focus. A decontented version of that car would be the ticket for Ford right now.

I think the problem might be though that some of those features on the Euro car may be too integral to it, making it difficult to decontent it for US market fit.

There's a story on AutoBlog today that Ford has listened to consumer/media/enthusiast cries and they are doing little things like making black instead of chrome door handles (black=cheap, chrome=class, IMO) and other minor, meaningless touches which will do nothing for this mishap-designed car.

it's really pointless to suggest the civic is the torch bearer in this class, the mazda 3 owns the living daylights out of the civic in just about every way imaginable.

it's really pointless to suggest the civic is the torch bearer in this class, the mazda 3 owns the living daylights out of the civic in just about every way imaginable.

lawl

The Focus is a great car - I own one and the handling makes it a blast to drive. I can see trading in my '01 for a new one under the right circumstances - except my old one has been stone cold reliable for years and there's little reason to trade it other than to have the "latest".

So if someone loses money in the long run by trading in their pickup/SUV for a Prius, who cares? They'll be using a lot less gas and polluting a lot less, not to mention that'll be one less full-size pickup/SUV on the road, and one more much smaller, lighter sedan on the road. Less wear and tear on roads, smaller probability of an accident (blind spots, handling, braking distance), less pollution, etc. I certainly wouldn't make a poor financial decision like that, but if some other SUV/Truck driving person wants to, that's fine by me.

The difference between a 14k Focus and a 17k Civic is that Ford allows you to buy a stripped down manual window/door lock, no ABS etc, car while Honda only allows you to buy a Civic with most options standard. Go compare the features. Similarly equipped, the Focus is going to be at best $1,000 less than the Civic, not $4k... and it'll probably still be lacking some of the safety features standard on the Civic. And regardless of cost or features, the Focus will still get less mpg than the Civic... specially if you're comparing the Automatic transmission models.

Well put. Dollar for dollar the civic is still much more car than the Focus.

Also, on the large truck thing....yes some people have them paid off or have positive equity but a lot of people are lseemingly etting them go back to the bank because of fuel costs. I drive past the Ohio auto auction on my way home from work and on repro days there is a major convoy of car carriers bringing in SUV's and pick-em ups. Econo boxes are few and far between on repo day at the auction.

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0