I *heart* NY

Cory Wolfe

I really do. Wednesday and Thursday, I was thoroughly enjoying New York City.

It was quite a spontaneous trip. Before Monday, I was just planning on my usual "ass sitting exercises". A friend of mine asked me to go and was going to pay my way. How could I refuse? Come Tuesday night, I got picked up to be ready for our flight in the morning. By 11 am Wednesday, I was in the city and would be there until 9 pm Thursday. It didn't give me much time for sight seeing, as he was mainly there to look for an apartment, but I got to enjoy Times Square and the surrounding area. The rest, I would simply call experiences rather than enjoyment. Like the Subway, the poorer sections of town, and the subway. Did I mention the subway? It was the only way we traveled throughout the city and might I say it was unpleasant. Generally crowded, rough, noisy, smelly, and hot. Back to the good, I loved Times Square. Absolutely loved it. It was like heaven for my gay self. The lights, the colors, the people, the stores; everything was awesome. I'd love to live right in town. We stayed in a hotel on 47th street, on the same block, so it was a quick walk away. Expensive, too. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it. Much of everything else was expensive, too, including food. I didn't eat much while there, but I did have some "famous" NYC pizza. It was good, no doubt, but I expected it to be like sex from all you hear about it. Angelo's, here in Brookville can make pizza nearly as good, but definitely lacking in comparison. I was surprised to find affordable clothing stores, however. One store in particular, H&M I think it was, had clothing that was priced about on par with the lowly JCPennies. It was all styled more towards my tastes and size, too. Needless to say, if I'm in NYC again, I'll probably end up leaving with 5 outfits instead of just one. I really like what I bought there. Fits me well and looks good. Another thing that looked good... All the guys. Damn, there were so many cute guys! My eyes were getting a work out. So were my legs. I believe I did more walking those two days than I have all summer. Even when all was said and done with, I had seen a limited amount of the city. I didn't get a chance to see central park, the statue of liberty, the empire state building, etc. Maybe next time. I can't wait to go again. He's moving in October, so I may get a chance to do so then. If so, I'll have to enjoy NYC to its fullest, perhaps even meet some of you New Yorkers. :P

For now, I don't have any pictures, but will. I took about 190 and am probably going to upload over half of them.

Edited by blackviper8891

Last time I was there I got to walk around Greenwich Village, went to the NBC Visitor's Center, cruised to the top of the Empire State Building, stared through the fence at Ground Zero, checked out some marquees on Broadway, strolled through Strawberry Fields in Central Park, and bought an FCUK IT t-shirt on Fifth Ave. I'd like to go back, but just to visit.

Glad you had a good time, Vipes. Looking forward to the pictures!

Edited by ocnblu

Agree with most of you...and not stepping on any toes, since GM cars are beneath most Manhattanites (puzza sotto il naso) and most of the C&Gers here are LI, Jersey and Connecticut suburban types.

I know the area fairly well as we lived there (Teaneck NJ) a short time and my douche-bag uncle still lives there. I was planning to go to NYU to do an MBA shortly after undergrad but went into a different career. Now, I am SOOOO damn glad I didn't go to NYU ! Also, I have not been back since the late 1990s asI think seeing the skyline without the WTC would depress me. One of the greatest experiences of my life, in addition to having gone to the roof platform of the twin towers, was sailing past them from the decks of the QE2 (Queen Elizabeth 2) and peering at them through the Verrazzano Bridge.

New York is stunning. It's a testament to pushing boundaries and possibilities. I would revel in all the ethnic overload ...and the FOOD....Italian food and Greek food 'til the cows come home.

However, New York (the city) is not livable and any nice newer townhome with a drive under garage in a decent suburb on the island, in Westchester or in North Jersey would make me house poor. No thanks. Considering it's not a warm weather climate, I would pop serious money for a "crib" in the LA or SF or SD area before I ever popped equivalent money in a greater NY or Boston. I've also experienced the snooty Manhattanites who remind you they live "in the city." My attitude: f@#k you. I see the same type in Northern Cal when you'are at Tahoe, in the Sierra or hot springing. "Where are you from?" Answer: "I'm from 'the city' " ... meaning a San Francisco address and a 415 phone prefix. My thought: "Keep it, asshole, I'll take quiet Walnut Creek, 25 miles east of SF and reachable by BART, any day of the week."

I'll go back to NYC and its environs eventually. I've always enjoyed it and am way way past any desire to live there as I once had.

4 more. You've just been generalizing the hell out of the whole wide world for as long as you've been posting here. Blah blah blah. Get ahold of yourself.

But I do agree with you... you are a bit "wordly".

Edited by ocnblu

4 more. You've just been generalizing the hell out of the whole wide world for as long as you've been posting here. Blah blah blah. Get ahold of yourself.

Follow the thread carefully, PB, and see who it was that launched the first attack.

There is nothing in my initial post that could be offensive other than criticizing uppity in-town dwellers of NYC and SF. Everything else is about food, real estate and geographic position.

Have you ever heard of a branch of psychology called "social psychology"? Well, it deals with group phenomena, for the most part, as does sociology. I don't think they would bristle at anything I have posted since I've been on C&G...only you and possibly a smattering of other easily threatened people. Now grease up your right palm and log off, will you?

Edited by trinacriabob

It's because I'm wordly and actually work at seeing things for what they are

I always enjoy reading your perspectives on the metropolitan areas in the U.S. You told me some things that were helpful when I went to Southern California last year.

I loved living in Cochran. It was close enough to Calgary with having some rural areas between. The geography there is beautiful, and I thought the people were pretty friendly compared to some other places I have lived. I used to like living in the city, but that quickly wore off. As I've aged I prefer the wide open spaces. Where I am now is a small city and the people are friendly, the mountains and lakes are near, and it's a great place to start a family. I think you are right about NYC, its huge compared to Calgary and other large metropolises in Canada. They are nice to visit, but would not want to live there.

I always enjoy reading your perspectives on the metropolitan areas in the U.S. You told me some things that were helpful when I went to Southern California last year.

Thank you for saying that. I am a frustrated would-have-been geography major, I guess. I inhale it. In fact, when I was in grammar school, kids always tried to cheat off of me on geography tests but I didn't want to get the nuns mad, so I wouldn't let them! Edited by trinacriabob

Bob... as long as you realize those who dwell in "the city" (as we on LI call it), who do indeed have money and status, are not all pompous arrogant pricks. I do know several who are quite down to earth.

I personally need elbow room. I detest that at any given time you can be in the city and be in a "crowd". Hate that. I also hate the fact that what they consider quiet, I consider noisy. Albeit not the city (and don't get me started on who considers what "the city" when it comes to actual boundaries (in reference to Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens)), when I visit my friend in Brooklyn, I sometimes can't sleep at night because of all the noise. My friend will say, "What noise?" and I'll inform her of the garbage trucks blaring at 4AM, the honking horns at 3, the people yelling at 5, etc. Then she'll say, "Really? I thought it was rather quiet last night."

When she comes out here, southeastern LI, she actually has difficult sleeping because of all of the "noise". Ours, in the form of hearing crickets in the summer, or mother nature in the winter (whether it be wind, an ice storm or whatnot), drives her insane.

Back in the '90s, I'd take the train (NJ Transit) into the city 4-5 times a year. Now I'm lucky if I get there at least twice a year (April for the NYIAS and the mandatory pre-Christmas visit). This year I've aready been twice (January & April), and would love to go this month or some point in early October (I like the City in the fall). However, I know that I will definitely get there sometime after Thanksgiving and before Christmas!

To anyone looking to have a drink and take a break from walking, if you're in Times Square I suggest you go to the Marriott Marquees <spelling?> hotel. The floor you check-in on and where the restaurants are (I believe it's eight) has a great bar overlooking Times Square (sit by the windows if you get there early enough and you can see the street below). I like to vist the Times Square Toys R Us (always amazed at the amount of people in there no matter what time of the day), NYC Disney Store, Macy's, Rockefeller Center (and the NBC Studio Store) and just walking up & down 5th Avenue.

BV, can't wait to see your photos of your trip!

Vipes, I have an idea. Don't judge until you get to the end.

You're always talking about "being bored"and "stuck in your small town"and "no jobs", right? Is there any way you could move to NY with your buddy? I know your first objective just popped up, but think about it. you could find a job doing anything, you would already have a home base with your buddy, and you'd get to experience the world and some sights and lifestyles you probably don't see in your home town. You love photography, you love cars, I'm sure you could find SOMETHING that pays.

You're at the age when you don't have any real responsibility, so now's the time. Don't get me wrong, you may HATE it, however you're sure to grow and gain perspective. You may be home within 6 months with a new appreciation for a small community.

If I was in your shoes, I would pack up my laptop, throw some clothes in a duffel, leave everything else at home with the parents, and GO! (As a matter of fact, when I was your age I did, different locale, story for another day, but great story to share with the kids!)

Edited by staceface

Bob... as long as you realize those who dwell in "the city" (as we on LI call it), who do indeed have money and status, are not all pompous arrogant pricks. I do know several who are quite down to earth.

I hear you. It's in the delivery, though.

Pissy, haughty: "Yes, we live in 'the city' " as they look down at you for living in the suburbs - (ok, go to hell)

Matter of fact: "We live in 'the city' " (ok, that's cool)

Capisce?

BTW, I must have been in a posting lull or out of town, what happened to 92 Century that it's RIP?

It's because I'm wordly and actually work at seeing things for what they are and you're a hick. Get out of PA/MD a little more, will you? Can you feel the love?

Now grease up your right palm and log off, will you?

How ironic. You're behaving just like the people you say you don't like.

Edited by Chris_Doane

It's too bad that your first post on this thread can't be about New York, which is what most people have done with it.

A shame indeed. Im just not one to let hypocrisy go unchecked.

I haven't been to the city in quite a while, but I remember enjoyng The Met and the Central Park. Im sure some things have changed since I was there, but, it was pretty neat to be in one of the world's epicenters.

Edited by Chris_Doane

A shame indeed. Im just not one to let hypocrisy go unchecked.

The hypocrisy is when you selectively take out snippets of what I have posted and comment on them out of context as your initial post on the thread. My whole first post was about aspects of the New York area I see in comparison to other areas...that hyper-sensitive and unnecessarily combative people would take offense couldn't be predicted.

Camino, sir, you probably should lock the thread.

It's a shame that BV wanted to tell us all about the "inputs" he took in from NY and obviously wanted us all to do the same.

The hypocrisy is when you selectively take out snippets of what I have posted and comment on them out of context as your initial post on the thread.

Not it at all really. Oh well, no help for some.

Found my pics from NYC. It was 1996 or 1997. I had just started doing photography so they aren't the best. Bummer I cut off the right side of Libby there:

Posted Image

Didn't think I'd be taking a historical image when I shot this... :(

Posted Image

These dogs were chasing each other through a fountain in Central Park...pretty funny to watch. The little one always got away.

Posted Image

Edited by Chris_Doane

Not it at all really. Oh well, no help for some.

Found my pics from NYC. It was 1996 or 1997. I had just started doing photography so they aren't the best. Bummer I cut off the right side of Libby there:

Posted Image

Didn't think I'd be taking a historical image when I shot this... :(

Posted Image

These dogs were chasing each other through a fountain in Central Park...pretty funny to watch. The little one always got away.

Posted Image

Great shots Chris! I tip my hat to the shot of WTC. Very cool.

Love the pictures of the dogs in the fountain. I enjoy photography, and its definitely a right place, right time kinda thing.

I was in NY this weekend.... sorry; not NYC, but "the O.C.". Walked in the woods, hiked, took in a cemetery & a small-town fall festival/street fair- all very enjoyable and relaxing.

I lived in major cities in the past (Detroit & Balto) and I hated it. As Mr Smith says to Neo "It's the smell." The crowding, the herding, the attitudes, the ego-centricity, you can have it.

The most negative memory of NY is when I would go to Manhattan from Teaneck from my uncle's house, as an adult on my own. I would take the NJ Transit bus (I think it was the 167 or 168) to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and then take escalators down to the subway which would take me downtown (the area of the then-WTC and Battery Park). I remember that, during the commuting rush, you could NOT stop in your tracks as you moved through the Port Authority terminal or you would be mowed down.

The most positive memories of NY have to do with the water that surrounds it. As a kid not even 10, crossing the GW to head down to the piers to pick up the ship to cross the Atlantic to Europe or as an adult, spending an afternoon on the Staten Island Ferry just crossing the harbor for the heck of it, with a camera in hand. Also, when I was living in "the ATL," my parents came to see me and we also went up to NY to see my uncle. We took the boat ride around Manhattan...not at all corny, I highly recommend it. As we got up close to the Statue of Liberty, I watched my parents tear up a little bit....they probably really hadn't seen it up close since they came to this country by ship, arriving in NY harbor. It must have been emotional for them.

Edited by trinacriabob

Vipes, I have an idea. Don't judge until you get to the end.

You're always talking about "being bored"and "stuck in your small town"and "no jobs", right? Is there any way you could move to NY with your buddy? I know your first objective just popped up, but think about it. you could find a job doing anything, you would already have a home base with your buddy, and you'd get to experience the world and some sights and lifestyles you probably don't see in your home town. You love photography, you love cars, I'm sure you could find SOMETHING that pays.

You're at the age when you don't have any real responsibility, so now's the time. Don't get me wrong, you may HATE it, however you're sure to grow and gain perspective. You may be home within 6 months with a new appreciation for a small community.

If I was in your shoes, I would pack up my laptop, throw some clothes in a duffel, leave everything else at home with the parents, and GO! (As a matter of fact, when I was your age I did, different locale, story for another day, but great story to share with the kids!)

Hmm... It could be possibly. I know he already has a planned room mate and the apartment is slightly longer than my living room. It might be tight. :P

I'd like to, but there are alot things I'd have to think about and have in order. It can't be as easy as you make out to be. Maybe Pittsburgh, but NYC? I don't imagine it would be that easy for me to just move there and start to make a living without having a start on things. Perhaps one day, though. As I said, from what I experienced, I'd love to live there.

The hypocrisy is when you selectively take out snippets of what I have posted and comment on them out of context as your initial post on the thread. My whole first post was about aspects of the New York area I see in comparison to other areas...that hyper-sensitive and unnecessarily combative people would take offense couldn't be predicted.

Camino, sir, you probably should lock the thread.

It's a shame that BV wanted to tell us all about the "inputs" he took in from NY and obviously wanted us all to do the same.

Chris and myself have already discussed my trip to NYC over AIM. So don't worry about it and don't suggest locking my thread.. Ever.

Anyways, I hope to have some pictures up by tonight. I finished editing them and reduced the amount to just 90. Separated them into three groups, night pics, day pics, and Ripley's pics. It's a lot better than 190, that's for sure. I would have caused C&G to crash once more. :P

Chris and myself have already discussed my trip to NYC over AIM. So don't worry about it and don't suggest locking my thread.. Ever.

Obviously, that wasn't the intent. I've used your thread to talk about NY, which I could do nonstop, as have other people. To start in on me and be blindsided just wasn't cool...sorry, but that's the way I feel.

Edited by trinacriabob

To quote whoever said this first, "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." Not that it's a bad place, and living on LI I get most of the negatives associated with NYC anyway. It's just that most computer jobs in NYC basically require you to be married to your job. Not for me. I usually visit about twice a year - once for the NYIAS and once during the Christmas season.

Pluses:

- No mater what your interests, you can find something to entertain you

- You're never more than a block away from a good pizzeria, deli, or bagel shop

- Street vendors add some "charm". Belive it or not, it's fun haggling with a street vendor who doesn't speak English over the price of a $2 pretzel

Minuses:

- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

- It's gotten dirtier since Bloomberg replaced Guiliani as mayor

- Fast moving crowds can be a problem if you need to stop

- Not a single car in NYC is without dings, dents, creases, or scratches

Vipes, I'm with Stacy. Fill up a suitcase and move there, or at least spend a few months there. The experience will be a life changer for you. You'll become an adult faster than you ever could in a smaller town. There are an infinite # of job opportunities for you within walking distance of wherever you end up living. You like photography? Get a job as a photographer for the Times, the Daily News, or the Post. You like sketching? Sell some of your work on a street corner for a couple extra bucks. With one of the world's best mass-transit networks, there's no need to depend on a car for your livelihood.

Vipes, I'm with Stacy. Fill up a suitcase and move there, or at least spend a few months there.

The experience will be a life changer for you. You'll become an adult faster than you ever could in a smaller town.

Usually agree with these guys, but not this time. I say make a move, but not to NYC. It could set you back financially as you shell out for the high set up costs. I'd say Philly for you; heck, you could go to NY as much as you wanted on the train...it's a mere 95 miles up the road. Or, another major city, but not NY as a starter.

Agree with the latter part. Moving away makes you more "wordly" (ouch, I said that word, slap my wrist) as you will grow up faster and know how to handle yourself around different kinds of people, because your survival will depend on it. NYC is more sensory overload than you need, just look at all the Islanders and Jerseyites who prefer to keep it at a distance. When I wanted to leave the nest, and I had a completed college degree AND a professional certification in hand, I chose to go to Atlanta rather than deal with a "rat race" type Northeastern city. And it was the best decision I ever made.

The "ballsier" people may head for NY or Boston....more power to them. However, ATL, Dallas, Houston and PHX seem to be much easier places for those leaving the nest or finishing school to settle into because of the lower density and lower costs.

But, it's up to you, and you will make the decision from your gut. That's what I did.

I lived there for a few years back in the day. I think it's something that I could do again only if I had serious money. I have a friend who lives there and makes conservatively four times what I make a year, but still lives in a place that's a quarter the size of mine. The crowds are crazy-busy and I kind of don't like the person I become when I have to deal with them. I'll take my comparatively quiet little bubble here in LA.

I'm going next month for a week, and she's already making plans for the both of us to get "away" to New England for a few days of that week.

Oh, and it is bizarre to be there after 9/11. I lived and worked in the Village/SoHo are and I used to navigate by those towers: I always knew where South was when I got off the subway.

And yes, I was one of those obnoxious people who thought of themselves as from "The City" with my 212 are code. I was even more obnoxious- I considered going above 14th Street a chore.

Vipes, I'm with Stacy. Fill up a suitcase and move there, or at least spend a few months there. The experience will be a life changer for you. You'll become an adult faster than you ever could in a smaller town. There are an infinite # of job opportunities for you within walking distance of wherever you end up living. You like photography? Get a job as a photographer for the Times, the Daily News, or the Post. You like sketching? Sell some of your work on a street corner for a couple extra bucks. With one of the world's best mass-transit networks, there's no need to depend on a car for your livelihood.

Well, now that you put it that way, it seems a bit more doable. :P

I'll take my comparatively quiet little bubble here in LA.

Ah, yes...comparatively speaking, La-la-land IS quiet.

The numbers don't lie! Part of the reason is:

NYC's 5 boroughs: 7.4 million people - approx. 330 sq. mi.

Los Angeles, within city limits: 3.8 million people - approx. 460 sq. mi.

And, BTW, it can be 72 degrees and mild in the middle of January.