NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Volkswagen aims to overtake Toyota by 2015 -report

68 posts in this topic

Volkswagen aims to overtake Toyota by 2015 -report

Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:11am EDT

FRANKFURT, Sept 22 (Reuters) - Germany's Volkswagen (VOWG.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) aims to overtake Japan's Toyota (7203.T: Quote, Profile, Research) as the world's number one carmaker by the year 2014 or 2015, the German industry magazine Auto Motor und Sport reported on Saturday.

"We want to overtake Toyota in volumes and by profitability," the magazine quoted Michael Kern, head of sales and marketing for the Volkswagen brand, as saying.

"In the next three years we are going to bring 12 new models to the market and we are going to expand our presence in the United States, Russia, India and other markets," Kern said.

Citing company sources, Auto Motor und Sport said Volkswagen's internal planning assumes that the company will surpass Toyota measured by production volumes in 2014 or 2015.

Toyota is expected to produce 9.34 million vehicles this year and U.S. General Motors (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) around 9.3 million, the magazine said.

Volkswagen's 2007 output would exceed 6 million vehicles, Auto Motor und Sport quoted Kern as saying.

source:

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...20070922?rpc=44

:omfg:

I want to know what they are snorting and where I can get some.

about the only way they could overtake Toyota would be if they bought Honda.... and even then they'd F it up.

I have serious doubts they'll make it (on the volume front - profitability is another issue), but I would not laugh at this. Look at how people laughed at Toyota and the other Japanese manufacturers 40 years ago, and look where they are now. Many things can change in a relatively short period of time.

In other news.....

Oldsmoboi aims to overtake Toyota by 2013 -report

Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:11am EDT

Pittsburgh, PA, Sept 22 (Reuters) - Pittsburgh's Oldsmoboi (REO: Quote, Profile, Research) aims to overtake Japan's Toyota (7203.T: Quote, Profile, Research) as the world's number one carmaker by the year 2013 or 2014, the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reported on Saturday.

"We want to overtake Toyota in volumes and by profitability," the newspaper quoted Drew Dowdell, head of the Oldsmoboi brand, as saying.

"In the next three years we are going to bring 12 new models to the market and we are going to expand our presence in the United States, Russia, India and other markets," Drew said.

Citing company sources, the Post Gazette said Oldsmoboi's internal planning assumes that the company will surpass Toyota measured by production volumes in 2013 or 2014.

Toyota is expected to produce 9.34 million vehicles this year and U.S. General Motors (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) around 9.3 million, the magazine said.

Oldsmoboi's 2007 output would exceed 2 vehicles, the Post Gazette is quoted Drew as saying.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Vee Dub is in da house... Ja.

(I for one hope it happens!)

Volkswagen aims to overtake Toyota by 2015

My first thought when reading this was.....

"up a hill?"

:AH-HA_wink:

My first thought when reading this was.....

"up a hill?"

:AH-HA_wink:

in recalls?

but seriously.... maybe they can do that after the backlash of the quality control issues they've had, but over taking toyota won't mean they'll over take the GENERAL!

so does hyundai...

its a feice world out there... and i think hyundai is poised to do it better then anyone...cause they actually have a significant lead on vw in america...

but this growth people are talking about, is coming from asia... and i hate to tell everyone but GM is growing the fastest and with the largest numbers... i dont know about russia, but i know china and india... gm is poised to probably add another million cars annually next year if growth is sustained...

europe and middle east are also a bright spot for GM...

gm is growing everywhere but here, and if they want to overtake toyota, so be it... but it'll be because toyota collapses, due to customer's reaction of poor quality...

i told my dad a firm beleiver in toyota, that they had taken the path of quanitity instead of quality, and he shook his head and said... thats the wrong route...

but we will soon see...

it wasnt but a few years ago that toyota sold 6 million cars, as vw does...

but vw already has a large presense in asia...

:rotflmao:

+1 , but it would be hilarious if it happened.

Serious question: Where do they plan on getting another 3 million car capacity in that short of a time period?

and that assumes that neither GM nor Toyota currently have or even create more capacity in the meantime.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Serious question: Where do they plan on getting another 3 million car capacity in that short of a time period?

I thought I read that there was serious consideration of VW leaving the United States market.

And you guys laughed when Toyota recalled more vehicles than it sold in a year... Well if VW becomes that big get ready for them to recall more vehicles than they sold............ ever.

This just in:

FRANKFURT, Sept 22 (Reuters) - Germany's Volkswagen (VOWG.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) recalls every car it has ever sold to replace a faulty VW emblem. Spokesperson for the company says "Not enuff bling bling". Volkswagen was not available for additional comment.

source:

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...20070922?rpc=44

well when gm goes belly up... vw buys everything... wala! you got the new worlds largest automaker...

the silly assumptions these accounts make

And you guys laughed when Toyota recalled more vehicles than it sold in a year... Well if VW becomes that big get ready for them to recall more vehicles than they sold............ ever.

This just in:

It'll be an electrical recall. :AH-HA_wink:

It'll be an electrical recall. :AH-HA_wink:

:pokeowned: Actually every car recalled for everything.

This is one of the most ambitious statements I have ever heard for a while.

There are quite a bit of bold assumptions.

1. They have to overtake Toy and upsurging GM who are forcing their envelope of development and research and not stagnant.

2. They may actually make that many vehicles, but will they sell them?

I think comparing Toy's emergence and VW dream is incorrect. Toy emerged while reality was still to bite GM, Ford and Chry. With the Three making an effort to relive themself, Toy becoming a major player, it would be difficult for VW to fight with them. Besides, in the largest automarket they are losing share and revenue, how are they going to keep up with the growth they are projecting? Producing vechiles like TUGIAAAAN, CLS like coupe, and other POS, is only diluting their image. If their UP vehicle is going to help them, then seriously they see GOD in it.

It's a vision, it's suposed to motivate the troops. GE does the same thing: their aim is to be nr.1 or nr.2 in every business they're involved in. Stretch-tergeting is kinda cool!

The comparisons between Toyota and VW are silly.

Toyota has enjoyed 40 years of import quotas/subsidies and support from MITI in Japan that kept foreign competition crippled and at bay. VW does not. VW is having its fair share of union problems in Europe, while Toyota exerts mind control over their workers in Japan. VW is beseiged in its own turf with a dozen manufacturers vying for supremacy; whereas Toyota enjoys no foreign competition on its home turf.

Toyota had nowhere to go but up when they landed on our shores, plus they had the benefit of being in the right place at the right time. VW, on the other hand, owned the 'import/small car' market in the '60s and totally dropped the ball in the '80s. Japan Inc may not have enjoyed such a free ride here if VW hadn't screwed around so much in the '70s.

VW will always be a major global player if it plays its cards right, but I doubt it will ever become #2, let alone #1.

VW will always be a major global player if it plays its cards right, but I doubt it will ever become #3, let alone #1.

Fixed

Well, I didn't believe that such a statement would ever be issued, let alone for me to believe it period, but;

Volkswagen AG hasn't a snowball's chance in hell at this!

HA HA LOL LOL HA HA LOL LOL I just can't hold it in . . . HA HA LOL LOL HA HA LOL HA HA

That was so funny. Nothing like good comedy to make ones day.

OK V-Dub. Whatabout full sized trucks? Toyota can't even make a perfect one yet. :pokeowned:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor