Dead Dime.

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

I've been a little beside myself, humbled, since this happened. I don't have much to say. I'm out of a truck now, though. Let me also say, that, if I had hit the power lines going 30 MPH rather than 25 (the speed limit down the particular road I was traveling), I wouldn't even be typing this right now. The force of the hit of my truck was enough to almost snap the pole supporting the lines in two and knock the transformer off of its mountings (only two wires were holding it in place).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Totalled.

What happened? I can't really say for sure. I just know I came upon a surprise curve and tried to keep myself on the road by slowing down and (perhaps stupidly) downshifting from 3rd gear to 2nd. Next thing I knew I was jamming my brakes as hard as I could and not slowing down in time and hitting the pole head on. The airbags deployed and then the truck fishtailed and stopped parallel to the driveway near the pole holding up the lines.

Am I hurt? Well, my right knee is very sore. And I'm coughing a lot, probably because of the dust that came out of the airbags when they deployed. Otherwise, I'm in one intact piece and feeling okay. Just ... disappointed.

Where was I at? I was going to see Cheyenne at her grandma's house. We had a fight that was dragging on since Wednesday. I won't go into detail on why. (It's a personal issue concerning a personal matter that most couples have to face.) I felt like the argument was my fault, so I wanted to talk to her in person about things. Needless to say, we aren't fighting anymore after this happened. She's also very thankful I'm alive.

I'm going to miss my old S-Dime. I really grew to love the little truck over the past few months. I have a lot of great memories attached to it ... some of them I really didn't realize I had until I wrecked. It pains me to think that it's now going to just sit in a junkyard and rot while people pick apart what's left of it. V_V

Some final photos of my truck before it was totalled.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:lol2:

Edited by YellowJacket894

OUCH. Sorry to hear this.

Did you get some wheel-hop during the downshift form 3rd to 2nd? I wouldn't think those speeds would cause it... Otherwise, a common mistake (at least when learning to drive stick) is to not brake enough before or during downshifting, but I don't think you're a "rookie" with the stick.

Guest YellowJacket894

Nah, I'm not a 5-speed greenhorn. I do remember hearing my tires squeal while I was shifting and trying to make the turn.

The aftermath of the crash did make me realize how actually sturdy the S-Series trucks were made. Anything else, and I'm not so sure that I would have walked out of my vehicle with a sore knee and a slightly stiff neck.

Glad to hear you are OK. Being a first responder, I have seen a lot of crash scenes, and have been unfortunate enough to come across people who have been hurt much worse from crashes just like yours. I am guessing you must have had your seatbelt on to come away from the crash so well off.

Feel better, I have had a few dumps off of snowmobiles and 4-wheelers where I have been in pretty rough shape, but you heal up relatively quickly.

Guest YellowJacket894

Thanks, everyone. :)

And, yes, I was wearing my seatbelt. I pretty much always do.

I know I really don't have the money yet, but I am already looking for a replacement. It's either I buy the IROC I found about two weeks ago, or I buy the truck I really wanted (not a Syclone, I have to think within reason here), a black V6, two-wheel drive ZQ8 GMC Sonoma. Since my S-10 served me so well, and since I do somewhat owe to the fact that it was because my truck was built so sturdy I managed not to get very seriously hurt, the S-Series trucks are high up on my replacement list.

Guest YellowJacket894

I am sorry to hear this. I am relieved to hear you are okay. It is sad this happened. The accident did put things in perspective for you. I am glad that you two are not fighting any longer. It is sad these accidents keep happening.

Thanks, Ninety Eight. :)

Oh...that'll buff right out.

Seriously, you know what we always say about being replaceable; I'm very glad to hear you're okay. The airbag cough will go away soon, too.

Accidents do happen, my friend; this was one of them. There's no shame in it. Just be thankful you're okay. Good luck truck huntin'.

Wow...some hit. That truck gave up it's life to save yours. I'm glad you're OK, YJ.

Lots of luck looking for a replacement. I don't blame you for wanting another S-10. They have their issues, but they're cheap and easy to fix, and, as you know, they hold up when it counts. You might be able to get an Xtreme (or the older S10 SS) for within reason.

Wow, YJ ... sorry that happened to you and your truck.

But, very glad/thankful that you are OK. Looking forward to meeting up with you this coming November during my road trip.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Nothing lasts forever" ... Guns N Roses ... 'November Rain'

Guest YellowJacket894

Thanks, guys. :)

Well, I think I have found a suitable replacement. It's not quite the Sonoma I wanted, but it is a black S10 with a V6. It's a 1998 with 102,000 miles and the asking price is $4950.

Someone might also be buying what's left of the old S10 soon, too. They really want the bed, but we'll sell the whole thing (minus maybe the CD player) to them for $900 bucks. So that's the down payment.

Guest YellowJacket894

Some pics of the accident site two days later, from Cheyenne:

Tire tracks left in grass:

Posted Image

The pole I struck:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The pole was that close to snapping like a toothpick and falling on the roof of the truck.

Wow. Some hit. it's a good thing that didn't fall. You'd have had a big problem had the wires fell onto the roof, assuming it withstood the blow from the pole. You really are lucky, my friend.

Hey, you know, if you really want to score some points with your girlfriend, you might want to see what you can do abour acquiring something like this 8)

Guest YellowJacket894

Wow. Some hit. it's a good thing that didn't fall. You'd have had a big problem had the wires fell onto the roof, assuming it withstood the blow from the pole. You really are lucky, my friend.

Yes, and like I mentioned in my original post, the transformer broke free from it's mounting and was only held up with two wires. So that could have also fell on me or the truck.

Hey, you know, if you really want to score some points with your girlfriend, you might want to see what you can do abour acquiring something like this 8)

:lol:

For a while I was considering a later model Cheyenne as a replacement, but the fact I can't find any short bed, non-2500, regular cab trucks here in my area and the cost of gas put the brakes on that idea. (Not to say a Cheyenne won't turn up in my driveway sometime in the future, though.)

Guest YellowJacket894

Aww.. Mr. Jacket, I just like taking things out of context for effect sometimes, certainly didn't mean anything by that. How's your vehicle search going?

There wasn't any offense taken, Mr. Blu. I just tend to run a little on the slow side sometimes with jokes. :)

And my vehicle search is going quite well. The black extended cab S10 I mentioned earlier is pretty much exactly what I want (it's not a GMC, but then again, I'm not going to get really picky here; it really is what I wanted in the first place). There is a catch, though: it has a cassette player. That's an easy fix, though, because my old truck has a CD player and it's just a matter of swapping out the two. And a little bit of my old truck gets to live on, so, I'm liking the way things are sounding. :scratchchin:

Amazingly, my old truck still starts right up and runs alright. I wouldn't suggest someone run the engine too long because, of course, the radiator is crooked as a dog's leg and the fan is all screwed up. But the engine is still good.

While my mind is on my old truck, how much could I sell it for in that shape? The junkyard is out, of course. I need more than $400 in change for it and I don't know if I'm screwing myself over for letting the whole thing go for $900 dollars. I'm not expecting much, just enough for a very small down payment on it's replacement.

• 2 years later...