Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang84

2009 Fusion speculation & info

18 posts in this topic

Here's a great article full of info on the '09 Fusion. The big news are the five engine choices:

New 2.5L I4 (improved power & mileage)

3.5L V6 (improved power & mileage over the 3.0; it will probably get comparable or better numbers than the Camry for fuel efficiency considering how well the Taurus does)

Hybrid Gen II engine (better fuel efficiency than current hybrid engine, CVT, more US-sourced tech)

1.6L or 1.8L Twin Turbo I4 making 170-200 hp (30 mpg city / 40 mpg hwy. est.)

2.5L Twin Turbo I4 making 260 hp, 30 mpg hwy.

Apparently those images leaked a while back were internal sketches from Ford, so expect the Fusion / Milan / MKZ to look like them.

More info: http://www.autosavant.net/2007/09/predicti...009-fusion.html

If the I4tt made that much power, what would be the use of the V6?

Smoother and more refined.

V-6 for the Old Farters

I-4TT for the Ricers

J/K

.5 L more, and an extra turbo, and it just manages to match the Ecotec? Seems like a waste.

neat article. but...we'll see if it pans out.

the high mileage 4 seems like a neat option. decent power and 30/40 mpg. that could be popular.

Just stick with an I4, hybrid and V6. Anything more, IMO, is more complicated than it should be and might cost more money in the long run.

Edit: And I like the new face and rear end. They look meaner and more refined.

Edited by sciguy_0504

the many new powertrains will see application in other models. the fusion is a good test mule to refine and introduce these powertrains.

1.6L or 1.8L Twin Turbo I4 making 170-200 hp (30 mpg city / 40 mpg hwy. est.)

If they could actually achieve this in a mid-size sedan, I would be quite surprised.

If they could actually achieve this in a mid-size sedan, I would be quite surprised.

its interesting because i was reading some owner reviews of the saab 9-3 recently. the saab 9-3 owners with the turbo four and manual transmission report very high mileage....many times exceeding 30mpg, some exceeded 35mpg sometimes. or so i recall.

anyways, the twincharge 4 might be DI, and would have a smaller displacement and output so it is conceivable that they could in real world hit 30mpg, although i doubt the epa test would give it 30 mpg.

.5 L more, and an extra turbo, and it just manages to match the Ecotec? Seems like a waste.

transmission limits...?

overall good ideas.

is ford giving up the 3.0L for sure?

transmission limits...?

overall good ideas.

is ford giving up the 3.0L for sure?

yes - 3.0l is dead the moment Ford can find something else to stuff inside Jag X-Types and when Escape is replaced.

PS: I am the author of the article - so ask away if you have any further questions.

PS2: actually the Twin turbo 2.5l is a typo/error - I4's will have only 1 turbo .. finally, the TwinForce engines are not about POWER/PERFORMANCE .. but EFFICIENCY ...

Igor

yes - 3.0l is dead the moment Ford can find something else to stuff inside Jag X-Types and when Escape is replaced.

PS: I am the author of the article - so ask away if you have any further questions.

PS2: actually the Twin turbo 2.5l is a typo/error - I4's will have only 1 turbo .. finally, the TwinForce engines are not about POWER/PERFORMANCE .. but EFFICIENCY ...

Igor

Well that makes more sense. 2 turbos on a 4 cyl regardless of power seems pointless. I'm happy to see the use of turbos spreading .

Interesting article. I looks like Fords "twin force" technology is moving forward.

Igor: The Altima that took the world by storm was actually a 2002 model released in the fall of 2001. I know because I owned one. It was a great car except for the hard plastic interior.

The engine upgrades are aggressive. This is a surprising, but pleasant move for Ford.

The front end of the restyled 2009 Fusion looks great. It allows Ford to distance the Fusion a little bit more from the Milan. I am also happy to hear that they are working on the interior. Car interiors are the most competitive selling point of a vehicle and will often make or break a sale. Ford is wise to continue to finesse the Fusion's interior.

I hope this restyle doesn't signal Ford's usual procedure of allowing the car to grow stale in the marketplace. A restyle is a good way to keep a car current when it is in the middle of its product cycle. It is not a good reason to let the car continue on the market for another 5 or 6 years without a complete redesign. A totally redesigned generation of the Fusion should make it to market no later than the 2012 model year. :yes:

Edited by cire

If it improves as much as the Mazda 6 looks like it is going to then the Fusion should be pretty damn good.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0