I did 133mph today

Chris_Doane

I have an Audi A6 (3.2L) press car this week and I was told its electronically limited to 130mph. Turns out it's more like 133 :D

Heh...but the funnier part of the day was with the chief of police. I kinda know him, and he wanted to check out the A6. So on a local highway, I did 116 with him in the passenger seat. I wasn't going to let it rip but he said something like "come on, do it!"

I was almost hoping we'd get pulled over just to see what would happened when the chief stepped out in full uniform.

I have an Audi A6 (3.2L) press car this week and I was told its electronically limited to 130mph. Turns out it's more like 133 :D

Heh...but the funnier part of the day was with the chief of police. I kinda know him, and he wanted to check out the A6. So on a local highway, I did 116 with him in the passenger seat. I wasn't going to let it rip but he said something like "come on, do it!"

I was almost hoping we'd get pulled over just to see what would happened when the chief stepped out in full uniform.

What state do you live in?

• 7 months later...

When I was 14, my buddy and I 'borrowed' my father's '69 Chrysler 300 and took it for a spin on a freeway just north of Toronto at about 2 in the morning. I buried the needle at 120 mph, so I really have no idea how fast we were going.

I nearly $h! myself thinking about that now: no seatbelts, no air bags. At least the beasty had front discs, Michelin radials (my dad was a big tire nut) and a 15' hood to fly over if we had hit anything.

Well 133mph is child's play now. Several weeks ago I got to 145 in a diesel Audi. A few days ago in a...something or other...I got to 160 before I had to lift. The car was still gaining too but I was running out of real estate.

I've been 135 in an (original model year) Lexus SC430 and a (old-body-style V12) 750iL......120mph in my old Mazda6 company car.......135mph in my C6 convertible.......and 125mph in an Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 1.9L TDi......

That's it for me.....

Not to hijack the thread but...

Tested a WRX SCCA pace car when they first came out about 2001 or 2002. They are indeed electronically limited to 141.

Buried the 160 Speedo on a Plum Crazy Purple 70 Road Runner, No idea how fast we were really going, not sure I want to know.

A friend got clocked at 156 in a modified turbo RX-7 by the Ohio State Patrol...and then talked his way out of it. NOT kidding here!

Done enough stupid stuff when I had my 70 Chevelle that I shouldn't be alive now...

Chris

A friend got clocked at 156 in a modified turbo RX-7 by the Ohio State Patrol...and then talked his way out of it. NOT kidding here!

A few of us were talking about a situation like this..

We figured if a cop clocks you at such an insane speed he's at least going to want to hear a story about why you are doing what you're doing before he throws you in the slammer. Or if the story is good enough...letting you go.

103 in the impala before the motor was redone, 100 in the colorado - limit, and 135 in my dads 94 z28 just like ya'll ran out of road... was still pulling hard, tach was at 3600 or so so there was much more left in her. why is is so fun to go fast?

I've gone well over 100 in many cars, but most of my cars only had speedo's that went up to 85. In my '78 98 I had to needle pinned bellow the instrument cluster out of sight...it looked as if there was no needle at all. Same goes for my Delta 88, despite only being a 3 speed, they can go way over 100, I was clocked at 110 in my 98 at 2am one night. I've gone around 130 in an RSX type S, about 140 in an '85 Monte Carlo SS with a worked 383 under the hood. It still had juice, but at that speed the car felt like it was going to fall apart, and did not feel safe, so I let off. I've only taking my Riv to about 110 at the most.

135mph in a 2000 Acura Integra GS-R (headers, intake, cam, exhuast, chip)

122mph in a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis (granny cruiser)

120mph in a 1991 Toyota MR2

110mph in my 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE (there abouts) **aren't they gov. ltd? Is it at like 108 or so?** (What could one do honestly if I got an Intense PCM?)

105mph in a 2006 Chevrolet Suburban LS 2WD 5.3L (down a large hill)

100mph at least in my 1992 Cadillac Sedan Deville the speedo stopped at 85, but I had to have been going at least one-hun-do.

98mph in a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 2WD 5.3L (gov. kicked in)

That is it for my speeding... At least that I can recall in the past 10 years...

I have only done like 90mph in my Impala never thought it was meant for speed but I had to push my Bonneville... It is a Pontiac after-all.

I have only hit 80mph in my Torrent how fast would she go? Or is she gov. at like 108mph or something... (Without the gov. would she hit 120?)

Not to derail the thread, but I think Paulie just wants to see pics of Nick in his Speedo with his "needle" pointing to 155. Or something like that. I could be wrong. :AH-HA_wink:

EDIT: ahem, back on track, it's always fun to make a top speed run in a GM truck because, based on experience, Ford and Dodge trucks have a lower speed cutoff built into their engine computers. Picture this: ocn on the Northeast Extension of the PA Turnpike on the way to the campground, cruising slowwwwly past an F-150, both of us bumping up against our fuel cutoffs... both of us are lame, but the Sierra allows me to be just a little bit less lame than the Ford driver.:lol:

Edited by ocnblu

Not to derail the thread, but I think Paulie just wants to see pics of Nick in his Speedo with his "needle" pointing to 155. :AH-HA_wink:

Paulie wouldn't be the only one. ^_^

Actually, when I read the title of this thread and that it was started by Chris Doane, I thought he was going to say that he had done that 133mph while chasing a vehicle to get a photo. I wanted to see what it was.

During college, I hit exactly 100 with the Pathfinder... fun. Then the whole truck started shaking... not fun.

I'd love to take my wife's Maxima that high... but she probably wouldn't let me.

185 in a friends modded 2001 Z06 at 3am on a empty freeway ;)

110 in a 97 Plymouth Neon w/ the DOHC motor

120 in a 2000 Malibu

105 in a 2000 Ford Taurus

140 (guessing) in a 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS w/ the 5.0 (speedo only goes to 85, it was pegged for about 3 minutes after I took my foot off the gas)

I told this story once before. My buddy & I took his '65 Catalina up as high as it would go: needle passed 120 and was pointing to where '140' would've been, then it suddenly dropped off to the right side & out of sight (big horizontal speedo). Car had a 389 & 2.41 gears. Suddenly there was a bellowing noise and the car felt like an anchor was thrown out. After coasting down & pulling over, opening the hood and reeling back from the heat, we found that the steel air cleaner snorkel had sucked itself shut. I wish to hell he had saved that piece.

Come on I have done 1100 mph and broke the speed of sound.... So what if i was in the bomber seat of a F/A - 18 B

in a car i dont really remember but i did take a friends vette up to 150.