Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2008 Malibu at the Georgian College Autoshow

Nice looking Auto for an entry level auto. Interior is what I would expect for a car like this. Plain, basic and cheap. Nothing fancy as if you want that then go buy a caddillac. :D

Nice looking Auto for an entry level auto. Interior is what I would expect for a car like this. Plain, basic and cheap. Nothing fancy as if you want that then go buy a caddillac. :D

So how do u explain the Accord, that is in the same price range and feels 100 times more expensive and well-built?

So how do u explain the Accord, that is in the same price range and feels 100 times more expensive and well-built?

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNT

the accord is assembled well and has some ok plastic but it does not feel that expensive. It feels creepy 90's cheap in the lower trim levels and the use of cheap matte black also is not very expensive feeling. And the center stack and display hood in the center aren't lavishly done either.

IOW, I wouldn't call the accord any sort of benchmark unless you have low standards.

Like the new Camry's interior is that much better Car and Driver bitched about the Cam's interior more than the Aura's in the same Comparo test, and the Aura bet out the Cam-Cam. Hmmm. Stop bitching it is an affordable car, and I say it looks damn sharp in any trim about a 1LT!

But seriously...how hard is it for GM,, Ford, and Chrysler to build a quality interior?

I mean...GM can get it right with th CTS...why not the rest of the cars?

I'd say it's pretty damn hard given the current UAW contracts. (Of course, the new deal just inked should help this a lot) The CTS has a bigger profit margin and traditionally, in domestic cars, the cost cutting takes place in the interior. That still seems to be the case (rightfully so IMO)
The pre-production excuse I thought would work with the Aura we sat in last year, like I said before, they didn't change anything, and I doubt they will change anything for this.

We'll just have to wait and see, but as a rule, quality usually improves from pre production to production. I can't predict the future, but I do know that.

And, no it's not fine, this interior is out-dated,
Why is that? Because it's heritage inspired and doesn't look like an 80's game console ala the new Honda interiors?
poorly built,

All this based on a pre-production model.

and there should be no excuse why GM can't do better.
Sure, they could always do better.
The City Jetta and City Golf are built by Mexicans and Brazilians, and for some reason, those interiors are lightyears ahead, even though they were designed in 1998.

What exactly does that have to do with anything?

BTW, knowing you FOG, if this was an import, you'd be dissing the $h! out of it, you're saying it's fine becuase it's a GM.
Not really... I'm saying it's fine because I've loved the design since day one (it's heritage inspired and I restore cars... That's a no-brainer) and I, unlike the minority here, think the Aura has nice interior.

I would explain that by pointing out your bias toward the Accords interior. :)

Good looking from the front. Poor from the rear. Interior is nicely styled, but the materials are only so-so. Seats were not that comfortable. Many ugly cutlines, and overall, it feels very basic. For those worried about a lack of rub strips for the doors, this car had them.

Hopefully it looks better in non grey on grey (and maybe leather seating will help alot). :scratchchin:

My pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

more next post...

Good to see the bodyside moldings at least as an option. Thanks for the pics. I agree the interior and door panals look kind of cheap, especially in gray. Can't wait to see one in the sheet metal.

Well, I'd like to see some real life pictures of a higher end model. I am interested in this car. I will probably end up with a LaCrosse, but this car will definitely get a test drive.

I really like the look of the outside--with GREAT proportions, actually--and I like the overall styling of the interior.

BUT, it's details of things in that interior that mess with it.

1) This car and the Aura suffer from some of the worst center stack syndrome in GM vehicles ever. For whatever random reason, they're 2 cars that seem like NO ONE could possibly come up with a proper way to integrate the radio and HVAC...with just too many cut lines, and panels around that look like fillers put there as an afterthought.

2) Overall, very solid and not "cheap" plastics, but at the same time, especially in colors such as the gray, nothing that comes off as even moderately rich. Even from pictures, you can tell the door panels seem barren, which has been a long-time criticism of the Aura, and still not figured out.

So, I still REALLY like the car, and think it's great how good even a lower LS model like pictured here looks outside with the great lines and wheels...but with still such obvious interior flubs, like the mess of a center stack and the overall "not great" aura put off by a lot of it, it really makes you wonder.

Is there a syndrome, at GM, that just prevents Epsilon cars from ever going past 80-85% in the interior finale?

You are wrong.

Then I am wrong, and you are right. Take your head out of you ass, I was there first hand, and many know I am extremely critical of car interiors. A car's interior represents the amount of care and money which was placed into production and quality of the vehicle. You know there are other companies who make cars besides GM. For a company which has been the largest for many generations, it is unacceptable to be bean counting on flimsy quality, especailly with the threat of being taken over in the auto market by the Asians. Time to learn from the Japanese, and spend a little more money in order to make money in the LONG-RUN! Not Quarter-yearly profits. Blaming the UAW is a really bad excuse for cutting back on production costs into making a decent interior.

Here are some real-life pics of a higher trim 2008 Malibu.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/Chevrol.../Photos2008.htm

Dash:

PK

Posted Image

FC

Posted Image

Center Stack:

PK

Posted Image

FC

Posted Image

In pics alone (regardless of the ones by PK or at familycar) you can tell GM worked hard at producing a more attractive vehicle... and the interior materials are greatly improved over the current 2007 Malibu. They may not equal the best of Honda, but if Aura is the living example, they're on par or better than what's at Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Suzuki, Hyundai, Kia and possibly Nissan (current Maxima yes... New Altima, maybe not.)

The powertrains available to consumers are also competitive and not just an after thought like the current Malibu. You don't have to be the best in class to have a successful product. You have to only offer something consumers will want. Considering standard and available features along with the extra style, I can see people wanting the new Malibu.

Here are some real-life pics of a higher trim 2008 Malibu.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/Chevrol.../Photos2008.htm

Dash:

PK

Posted Image

FC

Posted Image

Center Stack:

PK

Posted Image

FC

Posted Image

Wow, those cutlines are still painfully obvious even with the darker colors and the door panels look like crap...so plain and unimaginative.

The overall design is nice, but the details are missing to make it class-leading.

While I have to admit that these photos are way more revealing than any released by GM (big surprise there), I am going to wait to pass final judgement until I see an LTZ model (the only trim level I would consider buying) at a dealership. I must say that some of the photos show some definite oversights on GM's part. I would like to see a rear center armrest, overhead grab handles, a rear center head rest, and body colored sideview mirror housings (yes, even on the base model) on this car. I was also alarmed to see so much hard plastic in the interior, but I want to see the product in the flesh (or metal/plastic) before I pass final judgement about interior materials. I still find the exterior design to be way more attractive than either the Accord or Camry. I am also happy to see the proper type of trunk hinges used on this car instead of the traditional intrusive type still utilized by some of the foreign makes. Whether these positives make up for the interior oversights will have to wait until I see a production version at the dealership.

I disagree, I applaud GM for using a different color pallete besides gray, black, and tan.

Posted Image

the thing about this interior is the materials are very consistent and very high quality. they feel solid to pull on, they feel soft and expensive, and the design is very classy and very modern and again luxurious looking and feeling. all of this amounts to a car that solidly fits into its price range. the accord is the same; having just sat in the base base model i know the materials are superb....the design may look drab in base form, but throw some chrome and flash from the upper trim levels and that interior will be NICE. the Malibu on the other hand looks nice from afar but in these pictures the details show-everything from the craptacular seat fabric to the plain door panels to the glossy plastic housing to the window controls to the cheap unintegrated look of the radio/climate controls. saying this meets the standards of the last gen outgoing mazda 6 or last altima is not good--both those cars were poor for thier time.

on the plus side, the two tone really does dress up the style of the inteiror, and the exterior is probably the best looking midsize sedan out there.

That red/black combo, while distinctive, is horrible, IMO. It looks like someone painted the dash red himself.

The tan/brown interior is much nicer looking.

I agree 100%. The tan/brown and black interiors are much nicer. I'm looking forward to seeing the suede; the leather is too thin and plasticky.

Black leather/cream suede/cream stitching, like in many Mercury vehices, would be awesome.

Posted Image

the thing about this interior is the materials are very consistent and very high quality. they feel solid to pull on, they feel soft and expensive, and the design is very classy and very modern and again luxurious looking and feeling. all of this amounts to a car that solidly fits into its price range. the accord is the same; having just sat in the base base model i know the materials are superb....the design may look drab in base form, but throw some chrome and flash from the upper trim levels and that interior will be NICE. the Malibu on the other hand looks nice from afar but in these pictures the details show-everything from the craptacular seat fabric to the plain door panels to the glossy plastic housing to the window controls to the cheap unintegrated look of the radio/climate controls. saying this meets the standards of the last gen outgoing mazda 6 or last altima is not good--both those cars were poor for thier time.

on the plus side, the two tone really does dress up the style of the inteiror, and the exterior is probably the best looking midsize sedan out there.

Uhm... Edmunds doesn't even agree with you on the Camry evaluation (read their 2008 Malibu review), and I don't either. There's nothing soft in the new Camry's interior mid-way down and the materials DO NOT feel superb by any definition.... especially the center stack (beware of what you pull on there too). As for complaining about the Malibu's door panels, how are the Camry's door panels exciting by comparison?

I've sat in the Camry...the materials are not high quality and assembly quality was not good in the car I sat in. I won't argue abot the Malibu's shortcomings..however I feel that only the Accord stands out from the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does GM supply these events with cars destine for the Avis lot? Show me the car like was in the hot press pics!!

I agree....utter stupidity.

I think the grey color looked good...but they should have plugged an up-level model into the show.....even if not leather, at least a car with a few more options (leather-wrapped instead of plastic steering wheel, sunroof, etc.)

And, maybe the car, even in base trim, would have come off better with an ebony interior.....grey exterior with ebony interior would have looked sharp.

I agree with everyone else on here that the cutlines in the center stack and the black-tie controls ruin the interior on this car. And also, those door panels are the cheapest looking door panels that I think are in the market....period...

Other than that, the gauge cluster looks nice and the overall sweeping style of the dash looks nice. But the rest of it will tend to make alot of people (and many import-owners) scream "....typical GM...."

the ltz gets the 3.6.

fleet gets 3.5

I would rather see a darker interior and way better material for the seats.

GREAT....just GREAT.....

ONE of the positives of having your products in rental fleets is to get consumers that might never step into your showroom into the driver's seat when they happen to rent a new Malibu.

NOW....they'll get into a new Malibu with an outdated pushrod V6 and will rate the car accordingly. They'll never get to experience that car with GM's world-class V6 engine unless they actually go to a Chevy showroom (which is unlikely unless they are truly "wowed" by the car....and I don't see that happening with that interior and that "fleet" engine.)

PLUS....when the cars come out of the fleets and get sold back to dealers, Chevy lots all over this country will be showcasing this cheaply-trimmed Malibu with an outdated powertrain for "cut-rate" prices compared to new Malibus.

Sadly, I see where this car is going to end up......as the Impala's new fleet-queen sister....

I agree....and about that Camry interior.....it's not perfect....the center stack spars have never lined up on any Camry I've been in....and the manual climate control knobs feel a bit wobbly and cheap.

That being said, the overall EXECUTION (execution being the word) of the Camry's interior is what makes it just feel and look way more substantial and "premium" for the price-class compared to the Malibu interior. The materials used....how they are used...the integration of the (unique to the Camry) center stack controls, etc.

Even if Malibu had nicer and plusher materials, and all the Camry had was hard plastic....the Camry would still come off as the more premium entry...because of the execution.

all mainstream midsizers are pretty much crap inside.

the previous malibu was a definite step below. I would think from what I have seen in the pics and from sitting in an aura and testing one, that they have closed the gap considerably even though the aura's plastic could be nicer.

Look at the new accord. good assembly, but there is a badly designed and cheap looking center stack and very nasty 90's style matte black trim on the console and stuff. The new accord in cloth and dark colors incites vomiting. The gray camry interiors I have sat in incites instant diahhrea.

I think where GM's midsizers fail the market most is passenger accomodations. Get into and out of an Aura is like wedging yourself into a pop can. GM needs to back off on the pancake rooflines and also make the Epsilon cars WIDER.

Wow, you have a good eye. I have never heard or seen a car manufacturer change the look of the gauges based on the color combo of the interior. Do you know if it is going to stay this way on the production models? I have to say my favorite is the ebony/brick interior with those gauges. Very interesting.

I just wanted to get back to this point.

We now have more "real life" pictures here and it does seem to be that there is a slight difference! The LTZ has a bluish glow. :scratchchin:

Malibu LTZ

Posted Image

Malibu 2LT

Posted Image

I think where GM's midsizers fail the market most is passenger accomodations. Get into and out of an Aura is like wedging yourself into a pop can. GM needs to back off on the pancake rooflines and also make the Epsilon cars WIDER.

So true. I'm only 5'8" and when I get in and out of Epsilons I always feel like I have to be careful not to bang my head on something.