Chevy Traverse to be priced ~$23,000

Flybrian

GM to Build New Chevy in Tennessee
Posted Image
Jamie LaReau and David Barkholz | Automotive News | October 1, 2007

DETROIT — General Motors will build a new mid-sized Chevrolet crossover at its Spring Hill, Tenn., plan beginning early next year.

The vehicle, to be called Traverse, will arrive in showrooms as a 2009 model, sources say.

The Traverse will be based on GM's Lambda architecture, which is used for the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and the Buick Enclave. Those three crossovers are assembled at GM's plant in Delta Township, Mich.

United Auto Workers and management officials have told Spring Hill workers that the new Chevy will be priced about $10,000 below the Enclave. The Enclave starts at $32,790, including shipping.

The Chevy crossover is expected to target Chevrolet TrailBlazer and minivan owners. GM is phasing out the TrailBlazer and minivan sales continue to decline.

We need it, we need it desperately,” said a large Chevrolet dealer who asked not to be named. “We don't have a van right now, the closest we have to it is the TrailBlazer, so we're losing a lot of business because of it. The crossover is a very popular segment right now.”

The dealer said Chevy wants capacity for 250,000 crossovers annually.

Spring Hill, where the Saturn Vue crossover was produced, has been down for retooling since April. It is set to re-open in January. An engine plant on site continues to operate.

they needed to sell it as GMC and Buick and Saturn first to bring higher sell prices and more profit margin.

wait, when do these hit the showrooms then? This MIGHT be an option for me now if its out before my 500 lease is up and I am am bankrolling GM card money. This could make a lambda doable for me.

Edited by regfootball

I never understood why Chevy didn't get a version first, another example of poor planning. The end of the Trailblazer will put the Moraine,Ohio plant in jeopardy but nothing has been said about it latley since its part of another union.

hardly poor planning. it was excellent planning. hit the market with the more expensive models, and then bring in the cheaper ones. it's a no brainer!

i wonder if there could be a traverse sut or something in the future? A GM version of the chrysler rampage? i think. maybe?

Edited by jbartley

How are these going to be equipped if these start at $23,000 or so? And these will have the same 270hp, 3.6-liter DOHC High Feature V-6 engine and 6-speed automatic transmission, right?

No way this starts at $23k. Perhaps $25k is possible. The Malibu starts at $20k with a 4cyl, 4-speed, and a cheap interior.

That estimate is also more than they were planning on unless they upped their target.

It will be built at both Spring Hill and LDT.

No way this starts at $23k. Perhaps $25k is possible. The Malibu starts at $20k with a 4cyl, 4-speed, and a cheap interior.

That estimate is also more than they were planning on unless they upped their target.

It will be built at both Spring Hill and LDT.

Maybe with a Chinese-made 3.4L V6/4-AT combo?

:ph34r:

-RBB

From the price and variety stand point, it seems as if GM is trying to make these cross-overs what the Caravan and Town & Country are to Chrysler.

To compete with the minivans out there, they will need to have one starting at the $23,000 range. Question is; how do you do that without taking too much content out?

To compete with the minivans out there, they will need to have one starting at the $23,000 range. Question is; how do you do that without taking too much content out?

Squeeze your margin so the most basic model barely breaks even, and expect/hope/pray very few of those will be sold. Edited by ZL-1

That pretty much explains two things to me that I was in denial about. The first is the Equinox is doing away. The Traverse will replace it price wise (not size wise) and then a U.S. version of the Captiva is coming. I like the Captiva. This removes one model for Chevrolet since they supposedly have too many right now. Thats 3 models gone, he Equinox,TB and Uplander, and one model added. :scratchchin: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So when does Pontiac , Cadillac and Saab get there versions too ? I thought the endless cloning was over at GM ?

I really like the Opel'ish Saturn version ...especially the interior , but in all honesties , it shoulda had a Chevy badge from the get go . And since Chevy is a full line dealer .....the cheaper Traverse version shoulda been where chevy starts and the top of the line Outlook is where the chevy shoulda stopped . Keep the GMC , Definately keep the Enclave and leave it at that . All price points and market preferences covered ;)

Edited by silverss/sc

Why did Chevy get the vehicle as Saturn, GMC & Buick????

In the hierarchy of things the cheap version should be Saturn. Now, Chevy squeezes in and shifts Saturn to no purpose what so ever!!!

They should have given Chevy a true minivan!!!

This would kill any resale value of the Outlook, which itself is pretty miserable in base XE form: black moldings, drab interior, manual seats, no steering wheel audio controls, and no trip computer. I guess they could get rid of the privacy glass, alloys, rear air conditioning, and third row.

250k units a year is a little ambitious I think. It is much bigger than the Trailblazer, so Trailblazer seekers may go to Jeep or Highlander or Explorer, and it isn't a minivan. Minivans are lower and easier to get into than the lambdas, moms with kids are going to still like a minivan for that reason. I am sure it will steal some sales from the minivan segment, but it doesn't make up for not having a van at all. Being 10 inches longer and 500 pounds heavier than a Trailblazer could hurt it, or it might sell at 250k a year by eating into sales of Tahoes and Acadias. I bet they price it around $25,000 base, a Honda Odyssey is that much base, and that allows them to have a smaller SUV around 23k.

Chevy needs product badly though, the Impala, Cobalt and Equinox are all dated and in need of replacement. GM needs to cut the models, they can't update them fast enough, by the time they get the new impala, Equinox and Cobalt out, they will need an all new Malibu again.

4 rebadges is a horrible mistake too, they flood the market and drive down resale value. They just recreated the Envoy/Trailblazer/Bravada problem, and look at where they are now. 5 years from now the Lambdas will be the same, low resale, too big, too slow and thirsty and dated looking because of the plastic body moldings on the sides of them all, including the Enclave. The Lambdas have a smaller, less powerful engine than the GMT360s had, but the Lambdas are 400-500 pounds heavier. While they spend 2-3 years getting these out, stuff like the Impala and Cobalt get put on the back burner, and those are the vehicles that need help, as well as the Cadillac line.

4 rebadges is a horrible mistake too, they flood the market and drive down resale value. They just recreated the Envoy/Trailblazer/Bravada problem, and look at where they are now. 5 years from now the Lambdas will be the same, low resale, too big, too slow and thirsty and dated looking because of the plastic body moldings on the sides of them all, including the Enclave. The Lambdas have a smaller, less powerful engine than the GMT360s had, but the Lambdas are 400-500 pounds heavier. While they spend 2-3 years getting these out, stuff like the Impala and Cobalt get put on the back burner, and those are the vehicles that need help, as well as the Cadillac line.

Rebadges? Plastic cladding? Low resale on vehicles that hit the lots five months ago? Where exactly are you getting this inaccurate information?

My only response is

Posted Image

You're just a sucker for punishment aren't you? I already pwned you on the CTS v. various BMWs earlier..... hell, why not this too.

The Lambdas seat seven.... which meant the appropriate comparison to a Trailblazer is the Trailblazer EXT.

First, I doubt anyone could successfully argue that the Trailblazer is more user/family friendly than any of the Lambdas. The rear seats in the Lambda are usable by adults while the rear seats in the Trailblazer EXT are only good for people age 10 and under.

Now about the weight issue. The Lambas weigh in at 4925 in AWD form. The Trailblazer EXT 4WD weighs in at 4954. There goes your weight arguement.

On the engines... Horsepower on the Trailblazer EXT 6 cylinder is 291... yes, higher than the 275 on the Lambdas. However, the Lambda engine hits it's torque peak of 251 ft/lbs at 3200 rpm rather than 4800 rpm for the torque peak in the Atlas I6. Transmissions being the same, that means better around town scoot..... but the transmissions aren't the same. The Lambda has two more gears than the GMT360... which means better acceleration and better fuel economy.

But wait, there's more. Read just about any review of the Trailblazer EXT with an I6 and the reviewer will call it a slug and either recommend opting for the V8 or just moving up to the Tahoe. Most reviews of the Lambdas tell readers that they can opt out of the Tahoe now and get a Lambda instead. Considering the GMT-900 Tahoe is one of the best full size SUVs on the market, that is pretty high praise.

As for "plastic cladding" on the lambdas, I see none. I invite you to post a picture of a lambda, your choice, and circle in red the areas that have cladding.

Now.... are you done or do I have to call Dr. House to find out where in your colon this drivel is coming from?

wish the traverse was out already, my married cousin, going on her 3rd kid needs a lambda with this price tag. she loves the outlook and the acadia, just not the price...she's mainly looking at a used explorer last i talked to her.

if this vehicle is supposed to replace the trailblazer, the minivan, and possibly the equnix... i think it needs more then 250k units...

i beleive it will come forward with sales similar to the trailblazer of <400k

but thats speculation... exspecially with 23k on the door... i'm sure it will have a few options removed, that once it starts to add things it'll be right there with the saturn in price...

you know Chevy, their LTZ will be 35k...

I know the Lambda is the size of the Trailblazer EXT, but the canceled the EXT due to poor sales, and what replaces the 190 inch long Trailblazer? Not everyone needs 7 seats, in fact the majority of the top 15 selling SUVs are 5 seaters. There is definitely a place in the market for 1 Lambda, even 2, but 4 is nuts and counting on them to replace all midsize SUVs and minivans, while being the same length as the full size SUV is senseless.

The regular length Trailblazer is 4530 pounds with 4wd. The Toyota Highlander 4wd is 4200-4320 pounds, most minivans are 4400 or so. The Lambdas have a weight problem. Even the SRX V8 AWD (the best SUV GM has) is 4442 pounds.

Here are an example of the gray plastic trim on the Lambdas.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both the Lambdas and GMT360s were class-leading and award-winning when first released. The question is whether or not the Lambdas will maintain their superiority over their life cycle, how long before GM redesigns them, and whether or not the segment stays popular.

I love my Trailblazer and the towing capacity it provides in a midsize package. I know some people could care less about towing but its always nice to have it. To me the Trailblazer was perfect except the interior wasn't the best. After I'm done with my Trailblazer I'm moving on to a different branded midsized SUV. I know alot of Trailblazer owners that hate the new Traverse, towing is well pathetic, engine is worse than the I-6, its to big for most people. It would have made sense to make a 5 passenger version the same size as the out-going 360's. Not everyone wants an underpowered Tahoe-sized crossover. It may look better, be better refined but its a sad replacement in my book. I hope that GM will once again build a good midsize SUV with more capabilities than this Traverse presents.

Maybe the base model will have a 4cyl, 4spd auto configuration.

0-60 in 2-and-a-half weeks! :lol:

@ flybrian's reply: that was cool! it made me laugh!

obviously they will have grey plastic trim: they have to convey the image of being off-road capable, of being able to cross a rough track without the car becoming scratched, all of that marketing crap. that image is essential to the crossover's appeal.

Edited by ZL-1

I never understood why Chevy didn't get a version first, another example of poor planning. The end of the Trailblazer will put the Moraine,Ohio plant in jeopardy but nothing has been said about it latley since its part of another union.

You are right. We know Chevy should have gotten theirs first. We see this happen time and time again, as if re-watching our favorite movie where we shout at the screen because our hero doesn't see that bad guy lurking in the shadows. But we do, and we're powerless to intervene. Perhaps as the dust settles over the next 3 or 4 years, in the aftermath of the recently concluded negotiations with the UAW, GM's appetite for glorious "train wrecks" ala Aztek, SSR will wane.

i guess the problem here is the car should have new sheet metal... 4 models on the same platfor 3 of which are using the same sheet metal... i'm glad buick is the one that gets the different one...

but the chevy should be different some how... short wheel base? slidding doors instead of traditional? something different

I know the Lambda is the size of the Trailblazer EXT, but the canceled the EXT due to poor sales, and what replaces the 190 inch long Trailblazer? Not everyone needs 7 seats, in fact the majority of the top 15 selling SUVs are 5 seaters. There is definitely a place in the market for 1 Lambda, even 2, but 4 is nuts and counting on them to replace all midsize SUVs and minivans, while being the same length as the full size SUV is senseless.

The regular length Trailblazer is 4530 pounds with 4wd. The Toyota Highlander 4wd is 4200-4320 pounds, most minivans are 4400 or so. The Lambdas have a weight problem. Even the SRX V8 AWD (the best SUV GM has) is 4442 pounds.

Here are an example of the gray plastic trim on the Lambdas.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Lambdas have a cargo and passenger capacity that rivals the Tahoe! The Highlander and SRX do not!!!

The EXT sold poorly because it was a half assed job. The I6 was not up to the task of moving the vehicle and the cost of the V8 made it pointless to buy an EXT over a Tahoe. The Lambdas are substantially better product than the EXT and are already proving their worth.

People don't want minivans. They buy them... but they don't want them. They want an SUV or CUV because they are far more stylish. The Lambdas offer 98% of the utility of a minivan with 150% of the styling of a Lexus RX or Toyota Highlander. As long as the Chevy version isn't styled like an Uplander, I'm sure it will do fine.

What gray plastic trim are you referring to on the Enclave? If it's the dark lower portion of the vehicle, that area is painted.

And you said plastic cladding....

This is plastic cladding:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love my Trailblazer and the towing capacity it provides in a midsize package. I know some people could care less about towing but its always nice to have it. To me the Trailblazer was perfect except the interior wasn't the best. After I'm done with my Trailblazer I'm moving on to a different branded midsized SUV. I know alot of Trailblazer owners that hate the new Traverse, towing is well pathetic, engine is worse than the I-6, its to big for most people. It would have made sense to make a 5 passenger version the same size as the out-going 360's. Not everyone wants an underpowered Tahoe-sized crossover. It may look better, be better refined but its a sad replacement in my book. I hope that GM will once again build a good midsize SUV with more capabilities than this Traverse presents.

Being "worse" than one of the best 6 cylinders on the market this side of BMW is a very relative thing.

I do agree with you however. I think the Trailblazer does need a modern direct replacement.

4Runner/Highlander

Pacifica/Durango

Explorer/TaurusX/Flex/Edge

Pathfinder/Murano

All prove that Trailblazer/Traverse could still be very viable.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

I know alot of Trailblazer owners that hate the new Traverse, towing is well pathetic, engine is worse than the I-6, its to big for most people.

How could they 'hate' something that isn't even out yet, let alone publically unveiled????

Being "worse" than one of the best 6 cylinders on the market this side of BMW is a very relative thing.

I do agree with you however. I think the Trailblazer does need a modern direct replacement.

4Runner/Highlander

Pacifica/Durango

Explorer/TaurusX/Flex/Edge

Pathfinder/Murano

All prove that Trailblazer/Traverse could still be very viable.

GM needs to replace TB as a low volume vehicle. It is not a good move to abandon the market altogether. Design it with small trucks and make it better same way they did the GMT-900's. Even if it sells 60-90,000 vehicles/ year, that is still a significant chunk. There are construction companies and small businesses who use it for its 4x4 capability and that medium towing abilities. And like how you said it by comparing it to other company twins, I see no reason why it will not co-exist with the traverse.

GM needs to replace TB as a low volume vehicle. It is not a good move to abandon the market altogether. Design it with small trucks and make it better same way they did the GMT-900's. Even if it sells 60-90,000 vehicles/ year, that is still a significant chunk. There are construction companies and small businesses who use it for its 4x4 capability and that medium towing abilities. And like how you said it by comparing it to other company twins, I see no reason why it will not co-exist with the traverse.

to expand on your idea.... I don't know the numbers but I'm sure that a Trailblazer/Envoy/Colorado/Canyon/H3 all on the same platform could easily crank out over 200k a year and not break a sweat.

Cargo capacity and number of seats are not the most important thing when it comes to SUVs. The CRV, Rav4 and Escape are the top sellers, Edge, Explorer and even Trailblazer (with the discounts) are still doing well. The 5 seaters and small to midsize do well, and GM has the Vue and a dated Equinox. They need to replace the trailblazer with a midsize SUV and they need a real minivan. I think they are in for a wake up call when they dump the Trailblazer and those that want a 5 seat SUV flee to Ford or Toyota.

The SRX is 0-60 in 6.4 seconds, let's see a Lambda do that, or pull .80 g on a skidpad. The SRX is the best SUV GM ever made, shame on them for giving it a wagon look and not marketing it right. The SRX is in it's 5th model year and still better than the Enclave or Acadia.

Cargo capacity and number of seats are not the most important thing when it comes to SUVs.

Uh.... right.... Because

0-60 in 6.4 seconds..pull .80 g on a skidpad.

are MUCH more important when I need to haul 3 kids, a dog, and camping gear comforably...... you want an M3, why are you even commenting on any SUV?

Make sure you order the combo package at Betty Ford..... and share your leftovers with the rest of us.

The CRV, Rav4 and Escape are the top sellers, Edge, Explorer and even Trailblazer (with the discounts) are still doing well. The 5 seaters and small to midsize do well, and GM has the Vue and a dated Equinox. They need to replace the trailblazer with a midsize SUV and they need a real minivan. I think they are in for a wake up call when they dump the Trailblazer and those that want a 5 seat SUV flee to Ford or Toyota.

Who said they're giving up the 5 seater market? The Vue, the Torrent <and it's eventual GMC replacement>, and Equinox are still out there. I"m SURE the Equinox will be replaced.... most likely by a variant of the Captiva. It is simply too good of a segment to give up. GM has had some blunders in the past, but they aren't THAT dumb! I do agree that the Trailblazer needs a direct replacement. Things are still up in the air for the Colorado replacement so I guess we'll just have to wait for the answer there.

The SRX is 0-60 in 6.4 seconds, let's see a Lambda do that, or pull .80 g on a skidpad. The SRX is the best handling SUV GM ever made, shame on them for giving it a wagon look and not marketing it right. The SRX is in it's 5th model year and still better than the Enclave or Acadia.

Fixed. The Tahoe is the best SUV GM ever made... because it suits my needs best.... so there.

to expand on your idea.... I don't know the numbers but I'm sure that a Trailblazer/Envoy/Colorado/Canyon/H3 all on the same platform could easily crank out over 200k a year and not break a sweat.

Here are the approximate numbers

Colo/Can 75-80,000

TB/Envoy 120-130,000

H3-35-40,000

About a total of 230-250,000. Easily justifies the platform. Probably add the hybrid drivetrain from Tahoe, serves dual purpose:

a) Reduces cost of the hybrid transmission investment

b) Will give a good boost to the fuel economy image of the platform.

Bob lutz says this...

"The Lambdas all have unique sheet metal except for doors. The Chevrolet will be dramatically different from the others."

Interesting he doesnt refer to it as a Traverse...

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea, but I think the Chevy looks too much like the OUTLOOK. Also GM needs to make sure that they don't have upmarket Chevys in Saturn/GMC/Buick price ranges, and that Saturn/etc don't add entry level models to crowd Chevy. As long as they can maintain the brands place with all four models, I think this will be a home run. I also hope that everyone gets away from the black plastic trim because it looks cheep.

how do we really know what it will look like, if as Newbiewar quoted lutz as saying only the doors being the same?... so far only chops have been seen

Key point.

As for TB/Envoy/Colorado/Canyon/Hummer, I think a "no-nonsense" SUV/pickup platform sized between the current TB and the old S10/Blazer would be perfect. Think high on utility/power/towing, with a "hose it out" version offered. Make it simpler and more affordable (with options available) and I think it could hit a sweet spot.