Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Pontiac G8 to start at $27,595 | Ordering Guide

Would you buy a G8 for the price?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing the pricing of the Pontiac G8, would you buy one?

• Yes, make mine a $29,995 V8 GT!
    • Definitely, I'll take a $27,595 V6 GT!
    • Yes and either make a great deal!
    • Maybe...the pricing is a little high
    • Nah, too much for my blood

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

except for the fact that to your way of thinking everyone north of the mason-dixon line will be buying the accord cause the G8 does not come AWD. :rolleyes:

oh, and the excrement accord will probably outsell Pontiac's entire car lineup. and the excrement Camry will outsell the entire Pontiac division.

That's an apples to oranges comparison..the Camry and Accord are mainstream family sedans...the G8 is not in that niche..it's main competitor is the Charger.

The reason I would get a V6 instead of GT is gas cost and insurance cost.

Compare Grand Prix prices:

V6: 22500

GXP: 29500

G8 V6: 27959

G8 GT: 29995

It just doesn't make sense. The V6 is way too expensive. The GT too cheap. The GT's price won't stay that low for long. The V6 will have to be lowered or massive incentives. But this is typical GM, instead of setting realistic prices that they can keep, they let marketers set "introductory" prices. Then they have to correct things later.

Why not ask 25k for the V6 and 31k for the GT and stick to it. Stop the snake oil salesmen techniques already.

Thought o' the Day: Pontiac has an artificially-higher price on the V6 to balance out the ridiculously reasonable price on the V8.

With such a small disparity, why wouldn't you get the GT? You actually still end up paying more, meaning a higher profit off each car. Plus, as GM4life mentioned, people who want to just buy the biggest Pontiac are used to $27k anyway.

The reason I would get a V6 instead of GT is gas cost and insurance cost.

Compare Grand Prix prices:

V6: 22500

GXP: 29500

G8 V6: 27959

G8 GT: 29995

It just doesn't make sense. The V6 is way too expensive. The GT too cheap. The GT's price won't stay that low for long. The V6 will have to be lowered or massive incentives. But this is typical GM, instead of setting realistic prices that they can keep, they let marketers set "introductory" prices. Then they have to correct things later.

Why not ask 25k for the V6 and 31k for the GT and stick to it. Stop the snake oil salesmen techniques already.

The GP is not that much cheaper similarly equipped. If you get the Sport package (still with only 16 inch wheels), the Security package (G8 has that stuff standard), and the Premium package (dual zone climate, front bucket seats) you are at $26080, and still probably don't have everything besides bigger wheels plus the G8 interior is much, much better.

The 07 GT would have been comparable, with leather and 17" rims would still have been cheaper AND more powerful than the anemic V6 in the G8.

The GP is not that much cheaper similarly equipped. If you get the Sport package (still with only 16 inch wheels), the Security package (G8 has that stuff standard), and the Premium package (dual zone climate, front bucket seats) you are at $26080, and still probably don't have everything besides bigger wheels plus the G8 interior is much, much better.

The 07 GT would have been comparable, with leather and 17" rims would still have been cheaper AND more powerful than the anemic V6 in the G8.

The G8 is a whole lot more car than the Grand Prix. The G8 replaces both the Grand Prix and Bonneville. It is being sold in limited numbers. The Grand Prix, is also way too cheap, because it is old and outdated. That should not dictate the price of the G8.

But he was comparing price, not sales. I believe his point was that you can get a G8 for not much more than the average V6 family sedan, not that it will outsell them.

DING. someone who GETS it.

People, the v6 is barely a pittance more than the UJS $h!boxes, and is a LOT better car.

So what if Pontiac has to throw 1 grand on the hood of the v6. the v8's will sell out if the dealers don't do ADM, and the v6's can be advertised with a little cash on the hood and bring people into the showrooms.

BTW, the 9-3 lists close to the same.

CMON PEOPLE THIS NOT A BAD PRICE. stabilitrak is included. its not much more than a taurus, FF'sS

Edited by regfootball

my only complain about this is the lack of a manual transmission option in those two models. if the demand is low and there's an extra cost to offering manuals in the G8 (i can only think of emissions-related reasons - the Holden SV6, SS and SS-V offer manuals in AUS), reverse 'tradition' and make the manual an extra-cost option. but offer the damn manuals.

oh well, then I guess GM can rest easy and get a good night sleep.

I guess so, since GM did not build this car to fight the Accord and Camry. That's what the Malibu and Aura are for... and, to some extent, the G6. Not the G8.

That's like saying the Lucerne is in place to fight the TSX. The two are incomparable.

my only complain about this is the lack of a manual transmission option in those two models. if the demand is low and there's an extra cost to offering manuals in the G8 (i can only think of emissions-related reasons - the Holden SV6, SS and SS-V offer manuals in AUS), reverse 'tradition' and make the manual an extra-cost option. but offer the damn manuals.

There will be a manual just not at into as it has some thing that need to be worked out yet.

The gas guzzler thing is a problem with the shift it yourself. They will get it worked out and you will and it on the V6 soon eneough.

The V6 I expect it will have too little demand for it to make it worth the effort and cost to federalize it.

The big problem anymore is so few people can drive a stick at all or even enough to move a car with it. The numbers are even down on thefts as too many can drive it after they steal it.

There will be a manual just not at into as it has some thing that need to be worked out yet.

The gas guzzler thing is a problem with the shift it yourself. They will get it worked out and you will and it on the V6 soon eneough.

The V6 I expect it will have too little demand for it to make it worth the effort and cost to federalize it.

The big problem anymore is so few people can drive a stick at all or even enough to move a car with it. The numbers are even down on thefts as too many can drive it after they steal it.

But Pontiac needs to offer it. That's the market they need to go after. They can't claim they build excitement, then not offer a stick. That's like saying, only X% of the buying public are enthusiasts. Does that mean you should stop offering cars for enthusiasts?

And why would the gas guzzler thing be a problem with manuals? Manuals almost always get better gas mileage than their automatic counterparts. The GTO for example. Get an auto, pay the gas guzzler tax, it was rated 16/21. The option to get a manual was around $1500, but no more gas guzzler tax. it was rated at 17/25.

The V6 and the V8 needs to have the stick available.

But Pontiac needs to offer it. That's the market they need to go after. They can't claim they build excitement, then not offer a stick. That's like saying, only X% of the buying public are enthusiasts. Does that mean you should stop offering cars for enthusiasts?

And why would the gas guzzler thing be a problem with manuals? Manuals almost always get better gas mileage than their automatic counterparts. The GTO for example. Get an auto, pay the gas guzzler tax, it was rated 16/21. The option to get a manual was around $1500, but no more gas guzzler tax. it was rated at 17/25.

The V6 and the V8 needs to have the stick available.

I agree fully Pontiac needs to offer this but modern technology and Gov reg are forcing them more and more out. Hell Even Ferrari is to the point they are offerning fewer and fewer real manuals in their cars. They have replaced them with semiauto manual that are faster and will pass the regs with no problem.

Emissions are the biggest problem but they also can have some milage issues depending on the drivetrain combo used. Electronics and new Autos are not always at the disadvantage they used to be in the milage department.

Lets face it too, if Pontiac offers this car with the 2nd gear skip shift the press will grill them. So if they are going to do it it needs to be right. I see no reason other than some additional tuning that is needed to get this car to market. With it already offerd in other markets the hardware is already inplace so just getting the needed numbers is all that is required. At best though I will be shocked if 25% will have a manual in the US market. I may be over estimating considering the entire market is only about 8% and shrinking.

The advantage of manuals being better performning is not as much an issue anymore either as the new Solstice GXP auto is as fast as the Manual since the computer keeps the turbo boost up during shifts. Their 1/4 and 0-60 are near identical. This is getting more common on other models too as the gap has shrunk.

The bottom line is it is not cost effective to build manuels on most car other than sport models or very under powered ecno boxes. If it was left up to the MFG's most would not build them at all. They sell better on sport models so this is Pontiacs strong playing card to sell more than the average.

If you want manuals to remain the best thing to do is teach someone to put down thew damn cell phone and show them how to drive one. The fewer drivers we have the fewer buyers there will be. To keep them viable we need more buyers.

So teach a kid to drive one today, tell em it's more fun than texting.

All I know, is that my next car will be a manual. No manual, no sale.

My car has 1-4 skip shift, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Even in 4th gear the car has no problem accelerating. I don't think skip shift should be used on the V6, but on the V8 it's fine.

I guess so, since GM did not build this car to fight the Accord and Camry. That's what the Malibu and Aura are for... and, to some extent, the G6. Not the G8.

That's like saying the Lucerne is in place to fight the TSX. The two are incomparable.

i was not suggesting that the G8 competes with the accord nor the camry. but they were mentioned in the thread so i thought i'd make an observation.

the point was, you can argue all you want at the pricing of this vehicle and the options and whatever the hell else you want. the reality is that Honda and Toyota sell more vehicles with one model then all of Pontiac combined. that is a pretty pathetic reality.

Why?

The interior is just fine, and should exceed expectations of a discerning customer, especially in this price range.

Holdens just seem to look dated or bland for some reason, the GTO interior suffered form that. They look kind of European, but European of 10 years ago. I think the 300C or Accord have a better interior, MKZ as well. All of those have flaws too, but I think they are better than the G8's.

"They look kind of European, but European of 10 years ago." smk4565, you've just clarified what I've been trying to say throughout this whole discussion. Thanks.

He's talking about the interiors. Which I have to disagree with that as well. The GTO has one of the best interiors GM has ever made, except maybe the new CTS.

And the outside looks more like the current 5 series than anything. Not a 10 year old 5 series.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In fact, I would say the G8 looks better than the 5 series.

He's talking about the interiors. Which I have to disagree with that as well. The GTO has one of the best interiors GM has ever made, except maybe the new CTS.

And the outside looks more like the current 5 series than anything. Not a 10 year old 5 series.

Cosign, except I'm not sure the G8 would look that much better than the 5er except that it has those amazing wheels. I do perfer the design of the GTO interior to the G8, however, I think.

I think the 1st post said the manual would be a different model, which I assume to be a GXP. I still think they should offer manuals across the board, although I understand there are not many people that can drive a manual car in the US. Having Pontiac do some perception- and image-building would be nice for a change.

Posted Image

Posted Image

:rotflmao:

I told my local dealer to call me when the first GT comes in. I'm hoping that when the G6 lease is up November 08, the price gouging will be over with and the fact that I am a repeat customer will keep the "additional" bull$h! in line. Red with red leather and every option.

And the 2006 GTO that GM let me test drive for a week had the best interior from GM ever (2007-08 excluded).

And PCS, I know you hate Holdens, but the G8 does look better than the 5er.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Much better than a 5.

Never like the rear deck lid or the Dame Edna front of the 5. Everything in the middle is fine.

The G8 fixed the problems of the Bangle design.

Navigation is just another new option that every pu$$y who;s

too much of a retard to tri-fold a map NEEDS.

Well, some of us would rather listen to a voice to guide us so we don't have to take our eyes off the road than either A.) have to pull over to check or B) try to read the map while driving hence being 1.)Unsafe and distracted 2.) An idiot.

This holds especially true when you are the only one driving

Also, yes you can get a Charger or 300 for $23,000, but what do you get? That's right; a $23,000 Chrysler with wheel covers, four tinny speakers, and an anemic rental car mill under the hood. For an extra five grand, I'll take superior power, styling, and a decidedly un-Dollar special feel.

That's rather unfair, not surprisingly...

If you're going to accurately compare the two, you do so with the Charger SXT...which comes with 17 inch wheels, 250 hp 3.5L V6, 5-speed automatic. I'm assuming SXT gets you an upgraded stereo too. That brings the price to $25,685...almost 2 grand less than the G8.

Let's compare apples to apples.

The G8 Gt pricing sounds fair...it's cheaper than the R/T and not much more than the base G8...you'd be silly not to buy one over the base model. If you're gonna fork over that much coin, you might as well spend a little bit more to get a lot more for the money. I'd like a black GT with a 6-speed manual.

Considering Pontiac is the performance brand, it's pretty sad that we'll have to wait for the manual...and just plain retarded that you can't get it with the V6...but the GT is a better buy anyway so I guess it's ok.

If you're going to accurately compare the two, you do so with the Charger SXT...which comes with 17 inch wheels, 250 hp 3.5L V6, 5-speed automatic. I'm assuming SXT gets you an upgraded stereo too. That brings the price to $25,685...almost 2 grand less than the G8.

Elsewhere, people have pointed to the 'low' base price of the 300/Charger while ignoring the junk base models. I just wanted to nip it in the bud.

It's not that much more than a 3.6 L G6. What do you want? A G8 priced lower than the G6? We have one of those already—it's called a Grand Prix.

But you realize the Grand Prix will eventually be phased out, right? The idea, I believe, is when the G8 moves to Canada to replace the GP with the G8.

Am I correct?

Here are my thoughts:

1) Nobody panic, This car will have a manual transmission. Every magazine article I've read, including this month's Motor Trend, report that the car will have a manual. It's overseas brethren have manual options, there will be a manual, do not panic

2) Maybe you guys didn't know, but GM's T56's suck. I've never had one with more than 50k miles that didn't have at least one gear with a problem. These transmissions are nothing to brag about. The new automatics are very nice( we're not talking about the old 4 speed 4L60 slush boxes anymore), and are nothing to be ashamed of. Besides, everybody knows auto's are better for drag racing.

3)

One thing I don't understand, is why did GM use the 361hp 6.0L, instead of the 400hp 6.0L? I hope they at least tune the exhaust the exact same way as the LS2 GTOs.

I too am curious about this engine. Where did the HP go? The LS2 is 6.0L and makes 400hp, the L92/LS3 is 6.2L and makes up to 436hp. Why is this one only 360ish? Is this just GM under-rating the engine or does this car have truck-style cylinder heads on it. If that is the case, expect some very friendly modification options.

4)

My car has 1-4 skip shift, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Even in 4th gear the car has no problem accelerating. I don't think skip shift should be used on the V6, but on the V8 it's fine.

You can turn that off with a $23 part, and 5 minutes: http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?i...86&catid=58 You're welcome.

5) As long as there are no dealer mark-ups, this G8 will be a big seller. I'm seriously thinking about trading in my wife's '06 GTO on this thing.

I guess I'm living in the past when it comes to car prices. With the '08 Impala LTZ I saw today going for $28.8k, the 3.6L G8 starting price is fine. I honestly hope this thing sells well, I just wish it looked the part. Edited by ocnblu

To go along with what Reg said, a similarly equipped Altima V-6 with XM radio (must get premium pkg) is about $30K. An Accord simiarly equipped is about $27K. I would choose the G8 over either of these cars, grab the sunroof, and save $1500 over a comparably equipped Altima or Accord EX V-6.

One thing I don't understand, is why did GM use the 361hp 6.0L, instead of the 400hp 6.0L? I hope they at least tune the exhaust the exact same way as the LS2 GTOs.

DoD?

I believe I read somewhere that it had DOD to. That would be great, I like good gas mileage when I am not bombing around.

Garenteed you didnt read anything about DoD on anything in the last 2 years... as GM decided DoD has extremely poor perception, thus the name change to AFM

the G8 LS2 is the first 6.0 to receive the Active Fuel Management system.

I actually don't want to. It's not that bad.

No offense Nick...

but sure you dont want some of this on your cts?

Maybe you guys didn't know, but GM's T56's suck. I've never had one with more than 50k miles that didn't have at least one gear with a problem

Edited by Newbiewar