08 Chargers

What is not production-like about the Torana? There's nothing about it that you can say "that would never make it to production."

And if you want to compare concepts, well:

Posted Image

You could mistake a Charger for an Avenger pretty easily, I think, depending on the viewing angle.

I disagree. The Avenger is an example of family resemblance gone wrong.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you ever mistake an LX for another car? I don't think so.

No, I wouldn't, but that's not a good thing.

Around here, you see the 300/Charger/Magnum so much that it's getting to the CamCord status of "I wish they would just disappear."

ESPECIALLY the cars modded to look like SRT models but still have the 2.7 engine, so they're not fooling anybody... :AH-HA_wink:

You are purposely posting unfortunate examples to try to own me and it ain't gonna work. If you guys support the fact that with the G8, GM is removing all recognizable distinctiveness from Pontiac design and replacing recognizable distinctiveness with generic invisibility, that's up to you. It is killing Pontiac instead of nurturing it. Look how many brands the rebadged Holdens are selling under... proof that the design has no brand-specific character. It is so generic and featureless, GM feels they can slide it in anywhere. And for them to slide it into Pontiac, of all brands with such a history of distinctiveness, with no lube like that, really hurts.

Ocn, open you're damn eyes. It's killing Pontiac? I don't think so. What is killing Pontiac is crap like the Grand Prix, G6 GXP, G5, Torrent... Need I go on? Holden is SAVING Pontiac. Just as Opel is saving Saturn. The G8 looks great. Why don't you appreciate the fact that Pontiac is getting one hell of a car, that, for once, isn't hideous? It's wholly unrealistic to think GM can just revitalize the entire Pontiac lineup with 100% unique vehicles. Expectations only lead to disappointment.

You are purposely posting unfortunate examples to try to own me and it ain't gonna work. If you guys support the fact that with the G8, GM is removing all recognizable distinctiveness from Pontiac design and replacing recognizable distinctiveness with generic invisibility, that's up to you. It is killing Pontiac instead of nurturing it. Look how many brands the rebadged Holdens are selling under... proof that the design has no brand-specific character. It is so generic and featureless, GM feels they can slide it in anywhere. And for them to slide it into Pontiac, of all brands with such a history of distinctiveness, with no lube like that, really hurts.

Though I'm not going to put it as harsh as you did, I agree. Holden's designs are safe, predictable, boring. Camry/Accord-like. The nondescript G8 name fits. The only things that don't blend in to every other car on the road are the powertrain and (probably...hopefully) performance. Are the Holden rebadges better than what Pontiac has now or has had in the past decade or so? Hell yes. Better interiors, more performance-oriented, RWD. However, there's nothing really special about them. If you want to be politically correct, the G8 is a sleeper. The Charger looks like the vehicle it's trying to be. There are markets for both, however, for Pontiac fans it's very unfortunate the brand is basically getting Holden rebadges. You might as well save the money and rename Pontiac "Holden."

Hold on Viper, my argument has not changed since this whole rebadge debacle first came up. I am 100% for Pontiac going all-RWD with Holden-engineered Alpha and Zeta platforms, and of course Kappa. The G8 is one hell of a Holden and I am grateful for the chassis hardware. But it is obvious when this car was designed, it was made to be such a blank sheet (probably to help Holden with exports) that GM management thought it could be stuck in a lineup anywhere in the world... because it has no specific brand character. I don't give a damn about other world markets, but when a flagship of a storied GMNA brand is watered down to the point of the G8, I am going to voice my displeasure.

OMG... you guys got me so worked up, I forgot this is a DODGE CHARGER thread! This is the last comment I will make about this in this thread.

Love those '08 Chargers!

Edited by ocnblu

Reg: I despise that kind of redneck analogy, I think guys who keep their balls in their wife's purse

and therefore drive a Camry or Taurus are the people who perpetuate it... :P

Precisely...

On a side note: I really get a kick out of people who say muscle cars are redneck since a well restored muscle car goes for enough money to sell their first born these days. And is especially worth more than their 'premium' yet quickly depreciating import 'performance sedan'.

:yes: True that....

As for the Torana... Well, at least it's sexy in a 2003 kind of way as opposed to the circa 2000 sexiness of the G8.

The difference is simple, it's like dating a a playboy playmate (Charger) verses dating a sorority girl (The G8) Sure, they're both attractive enough, but one is in an entirely different (and bad ass) league.

:yes: True that....

As for the Torana... Well, at least it's sexy in a 2003 kind of way as opposed to the circa 2000 sexiness of the G8.

The difference is simple, it's like dating a a playboy playmate (Charger) verses dating a sorority girl (The G8) Sure, they're both attractive enough, but one is in an entirely different (and bad ass) league.

Hmm... So let me get this straight... A Charger is like a dating a slut who's probably oozing with STDs whereas the G8 is like dating a well rounded "girl next door" type who probably has much success in front of her. I don't know... I'm gay, but I totally wouldn't pick the Charger from that analogy. :lol::P

Precisely...

On a side note: I really get a kick out of people who say muscle cars are redneck since a well restored muscle car goes for enough money to sell their first born these days. And is especially worth more than their 'premium' yet quickly depreciating import 'performance sedan'.

I've never heard anyone say muscle cars are redneck. Not real muscle cars anyway.

But that playboy playmate analogy makes me feel like I'm making the right choice by liking the G8 more.

These Holdens are going to put Pontiac back on the map, and make it a viable performance brand. I feel like were entering a new era for Pontiac.

Hmm... So let me get this straight... A Charger is like a dating a slut who's probably oozing with STDs whereas the G8 is like dating a well rounded "girl next door" type who probably has much success in front of her. I don't know... I'm gay, but I totally wouldn't pick the Charger from that analogy. :lol::P

Here, so you don't do a "stupid personal interpretation" mistake......

Try with pictures. It's alot like ink blots.......

PLAYMATE

Posted Image

SORORITY GIRL

Posted Image

You *might* be "gay", but you aren't stupid right?

I never saw the words "slut", or "STD", or anything of the sort.

Are all gays so silly in their interpretations?

:AH-HA_wink:

Is there a genetic missing chromosome for reasoning/conclusions or something...?

Here, so you don't do a "stupid personal interpretation" mistake......

Try with pictures. It's alot like ink blots.......

You *might* be "gay", but you aren't stupid right?

I never saw the words "slut", or "STD", or anything of the sort.

Are all gays so silly in their interpretations?

:AH-HA_wink:

Is there a genetic missing chromosome for reasoning/conclusions or something...?

Haha... Bitch, please... I can interpret however I please. Playmates may be sexy, but if I were straight, I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. It's not a good analogy to make. :P

True. Problem is they dont buy them new, cant afford to, with all the money they spend on lottery tickets, cheap beer and whatever cigarettes are BOGO this week, they end up rolling in ghetto cruisers.

I think you and I have a different view of what rednecks are. From seeing your location, you live near the Ozarkian rednecks. The rednecks I am familiar with are blue collar workers who are country people. Some of them do have some nice trucks and cars.

• 2 weeks later...

No need to wait brother. It's already here. It was a 2007 Daytona edition color, and now I hear it's supposed to be an SRT-8 option.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My friend who has the Chrysler 300 SRT8 - his parents just bought a plum crazy purple Charger, they love it.

they had a sublime green one at my local dealer that no one would buy and they had it advertised for $229 a month i think.

Some of our local dealerships WON'T sell the high impact color cars, or just take deposits on them, they use them to draw people into the showrooms.

The one I posted a pic of above is a car with just that history, it was used to draw people into the dealership, and the owner of the car is a salesman that works at that dealership. He sold it to himself!

LOL

They still get the traffic draw at the dealership, and he gets the car he fell in love with!

• 4 weeks later...

egg me. i checked out some of the new chargers on the dodge lot here and i'll be damned if the interior tweaks are not a decent improvement.

still deadly monotone black it was, but the center stack and gauges are much nicer, that doesn't show itself in pictures. the plastics graining was improved.

still ugly as sin on the outside but i've had like 3 or 4 ugly cars in my garage in a row now so this would not be anything different. the LX cars are at least spacious and wide. Like GM cars were at some point before all this epsilon crap. just try and wedge yourself into a malibu these days.

i was looking at an 08 sxt AWD that stickered for around 28. no side moldings or moonroof.

are there going to be any 08 magnums?

Edited by regfootball

egg me. i checked out some of the new chargers on the dodge lot here and i'll be damned if the interior tweaks are not a decent improvement.

still deadly monotone black it was, but the center stack and gauges are much nicer, that doesn't show itself in pictures. the plastics graining was improved.

still ugly as sin on the outside but i've had like 3 or 4 ugly cars in my garage in a row now so this would not be anything different. the LX cars are at least spacious and wide. Like GM cars were at some point before all this epsilon crap. just try and wedge yourself into a malibu these days.

i was looking at an 08 sxt AWD that stickered for around 28. no side moldings or moonroof.

are there going to be any 08 magnums?

Yup, Magnum will be available in `08 with the new interior.

I really like the changes to the Dodge LX interiors. I like the gauge cluster and shield a lot more now, and while I haven't seen it in person yet, the materials and graining look quite a bit better.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice camera angles. :thumbsup:

This is the interior color combo I want:

Posted Image

After seeing the new interiors in person, they are an upgrade from the last low rent, especially in the console area and the switch gear does look more upscale, but the feel is still low rent. Just like with women, looks aren't everything guys, especially if you have to touch it.

After seeing the new interiors in person, they are an upgrade from the last low rent, especially in the console area and the switch gear does look more upscale, but the feel is still low rent. Just like with women, looks aren't everything guys, especially if you have to touch it.

I don't know about you but I don't feel up the dashboard and other various bits of the interior on a regular basis.

the leathers i saw still looked abysmal. the dashtop and center stack were the biggest improvements. the door panels had some improvement. they still did not swing for the fences with the redo, but the cupholders were good with the chrome rings and the shifter is nice.

i wish the design of the gauge hood wasn't so lumpy.

Edited by regfootball

What about door pulls and armrests? Since they're all usually made of the same stuff.

Well, in the LX cars the door panels are soft material from the armest up, as is the center armest. So that's fine with me. As long as it's not hard as a rock or that horrible fabric that lines the armrest of the Cobalt then it's all good.

• 4 years later...

2006-dodge-charger-srt8-2_1600x0w.jpg

2006 Charger SRT8

Dodge-Charger-SRT8-2012_01.jpg

2012 Charger SRT8

Are we getting better or going backwards? Is this car still relevant in today's market place? Over all Fit and Finish are up but does it really meet the needs of the masses?

In looking at these pictures, while I love the new body, the only thing that is a draw back is the big black mouth that reminds me of a blow fish or some sort of sucking monster.

In looking at these pictures, while I love the new body, the only thing that is a draw back is the big mouth that reminds me of a blow fish or some sort of sucking monster.

\

Are you tralking about the Charger or some of the ladies in the Curves thread?

Edited by A Horse With No Name

In looking at these pictures, while I love the new body, the only thing that is a draw back is the big mouth that reminds me of a blow fish or some sort of sucking monster.

\

Are you tralking about the Charger or some of the ladies in the Curves thread?

:rofl: You crack me up, but I do mean the new Charger SRT8. Looks like it is about to blow or suck someone with that big black mouth.

I would choose the 2012 over the 2006 design any day. While I "liked" the Charger when it debuted, the '12 version fixed a lot of issues I had with the styling and then I became a real fan of the Charger. Still, I'd take a Pontiac G8 GT over the Charger - even a 3 year old one :lol: