Tundra adds cheaper models to try and boost sales

Flybrian

Toyota adds cheaper Tundras
Posted Image
Alan Ohnsman | Link to Original Article @ DetNews

Toyota Motor Corp. will add 13 more versions of its full-size Tundra pickup, including lower-priced models with fewer features, as Japan's largest automaker targets a bigger share of U.S. truck sales.

Changes for the 2008 model year include "Tundra Grade" DoubleCab and CrewMax trucks for $1,400 and $1,990 less than the cheapest 2007 versions, Toyota said Tuesday. They are aimed at buyers who need a basic work vehicle, said Irv Miller, vice president for U.S. communications.

"We want to have the opportunity to deepen our market, to attract more on the work side, the lower end, people that didn't need some of the equipment that had been standard," Miller said on a conference call.

Toyota is seeking a 60 percent boost in 2007 sales of full-size pickups, a segment dominated by Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC.

The new Tundra, which debuted in February, offers size and engine power that matches or beats U.S. rivals' for the first time. It also cost more.

Tundra sales are up 58 percent this year through September to a record 144,480. The 2008 trucks go on sale this month.

Toyota said the new Tundra will be available in 44 variations, an increase from the 31 initially offered on the redesigned 2007 model. The automaker pared the price on the Tundra Grade trucks by removing the towing package, styled steel wheels and chrome bumper as standard equipment, spokesman Bill Kwong said.

Offering the lower-cost models will help Toyota compete in the "$23,000 to $28,000 segment where 25 percent of the industry resides," said Miller, who is based at Toyota's U.S. sales headquarters in Torrance, Calif.

The Tundra is built in San Antonio and in Princeton, Ind.

from autoextremist.com

Toyota. Things are not so rosy for the Toyota gang as they find out the pickup truck market in the U.S. more closely resembles Cutthroat Island. Toyota is adding content and cutting prices on their 2008 Tundra truck lineup in order to maintain momentum, as their Detroit competitors are proving to be much tougher and more savvy than expected. Arrrgghhh.

145k 2007 sales. :blink:

I guess they'd better have 60,000 '07 Tundras kicking around to make their target.

:D

Introducing DESPERATE by Toyota.

The cologne for products that just can't seem to succeed on their merits.

POSSIBLE TAGLINES:

(One smiling 20-something friend to another)"Is that Desperate I smell? Someone must've just got a new Tundra!!!!!" -- That cheeky feel like the new Highlander commercials. (hold the profaine squirrel)

"Come by now and see our new model: The Toyota Tundra Grade Tundra Double Cab TRD D-Spec." -- To be placed in Toyota Marketing Monthly (known publicly as Consumer Reports)

Maybe they could name these models the PreTundra to tie into the PreRunner Tacoma line. It's kinda like precum; you know, not exactly what the customer really wanted and doesn't exactly get the job done... If ya know what I mean.

Or better yet, PreTender, since that's pretty much 85-90% of the Tundra buyer pool (When accounting for 7% error of course)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

:D

Introducing DESPERATE by Toyota.

The cologne for products that just can't seem to succeed on their merits.

POSSIBLE TAGLINES:

(One smiling 20-something friend to another)"Is that Desperate I smell? Someone must've just got a new Tundra!!!!!" -- That cheeky feel like the new Highlander commercials. (hold the profaine squirrel)

"Come by now and see our new model: The Toyota Tundra Grade Tundra Double Cab TRD D-Spec." -- To be placed in Toyota Marketing Monthly (known publicly as Consumer Reports)

Maybe they could name these models the PreTundra to tie into the PreRunner Tacoma line. It's kinda like precum; you know, not exactly what the customer really wanted and doesn't exactly get the job done... If ya know what I mean.

Or better yet, PreTender, since that's pretty much 85-90% of the Tundra buyer pool (When accounting for 7% error of course)

LMFAO :lol:

13 trim levels ?? That's half the alphabet !

Tundra Tundraspeed Speed Dubbacab TRD-A

Tundra Tundraspeed Speed Dubbacab TRD-B

Tundra Tundraspeed Speed Dubbacab TRD-C

Tundra Tundraspeed Speed Dubbacab TRD-D

Tundra Tundraspeed Speed Dubbacab TRD-F

Tundra Tundraspeed Speed Dubbacab TRD-G

Tundra Tundraspeed Speed Dubbacab TRD-H

Tundra Tundraspeed Speed Dubbacab TRD-J

Tundra Tundraspeed Speed Dubbacab TRD-K

Tundra Tundraspeed Speed Dubbacab TRD-L

Tundra Tundraspeed Speed Dubbacab TRD-M

Tundra Tundraspeed Speed Dubbacab TRD-N

Tundra Tundraspeed Speed Dubbacab TRD-P

Actually, FOG nailed it: the move reeks of desperation.

Pretender word is so true of the Turd buying pool.

In the parking lot besides us there are two f@#k-Force (or whatever the hell they call that engine) crew cabs, both driven by guys who are 5-6 tall that they have to climb in the truck using side steps. One of them has off road package with 20" Enkei Wheels that you get as part of Toy accessories, they are like worth $2900 or something. WOW! I mean why the f@#k you need dubs for going off road?

Pretender word is so true of the Turd buying pool.

In the parking lot besides us there are two f@#k-Force (or whatever the hell they call that engine) crew cabs, both driven by guys who are 5-6 tall that they have to climb in the truck using side steps. One of them has off road package with 20" Enkei Wheels that you get as part of Toy accessories, they are like worth $2900 or something. WOW! I mean why the f@#k you need dubs for going off road?

Trucks can go off road!?! :mind-blowing: :mind-blowing: :mind-blowing:

1990$ ain't gonna move that kind of merchandise... Tundra Grade sounds like a play on Professional Grade....

well... look who your talking about...

the same company you could use Genuine GM parts to fix their cars...

and your complaining about a slogan?

its not the first time they have stolen slogans either... baseball and apple pies...

You see that sort of poseur truck phenomenon way more frequently on new Tundras, Titans, and Rams than you do on old Tundras, F-150s, and GM pickups. Would be an interesting case study.

Yeah in Orlando, you see more Titans and Turds with dubs, and low profile tires boasting 4x4 signs than any other pickups. I have hardly seen any GMTs or Fords specializing that.

i got 2 friends at work that complain about 17" rims on trucks. they want 15" so you can put just about any tire you want for off road on there. my dad has an 04' Z85 with GM 20's on it... but then again the last 4x4 he owned and used for that purpose was in 78

Toyota built a truck as if they were competing in the car market. What they neglected to see is that the truck and car market are two very different ball games...to compensate they gave the Tundra all sorts of macho sounding shwag here and there. Like clock work, they failed due to their over confidence, they thought they could win the truck market with a Camry formula (drench the thing in red, white, and blue.)

Passing by the Toyota dealership, there are still 4 Tundras at the front of the lot that have hardly moved (aside from rotating to ward off cob webs) since the truck was launched.

You see that sort of poseur truck phenomenon way more frequently on new Tundras, Titans, and Rams than you do on old Tundras, F-150s, and GM pickups. Would be an interesting case study.

I've only ever seen one Ram like that...it was a red previous gen Ram with large wheels and 8 exhaust pipes. Seen plenty of Titans done up like that...no GMs but a couple of Fords...not Turds yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Toyota has the cash deep pockets to be able to come back and adjust to get the formula right without being hurt for cash. Course no one could have predicted the Consumer meltdown in subprime mortgages and our Trillion dollar credit card debt addiction. THis is all going to make it a bit harder for Toyota, but they will still succeed due to their long term plan and outlook. Some thing most american companies are still not realizing.

GM I think and hope has finally realized they have to think global and long term to be a leader.

BIG QUESTION? How many of these stripped down models do you really expect to see on the lots. So far all I have seen is toyota dealers ordering them fully loaded and this has always been their problem. Toyota dealers think they can sell everything fully loaded and not have to deal with people who need cheaper auto's. At least that is what I see here in Seattle.

Toyota has the cash deep pockets to be able to come back and adjust to get the formula right without being hurt for cash. Course no one could have predicted the Consumer meltdown in subprime mortgages and our Trillion dollar credit card debt addiction. THis is all going to make it a bit harder for Toyota, but they will still succeed due to their long term plan and outlook. Some thing most american companies are still not realizing.

GM I think and hope has finally realized they have to think global and long term to be a leader.

BIG QUESTION? How many of these stripped down models do you really expect to see on the lots. So far all I have seen is toyota dealers ordering them fully loaded and this has always been their problem. Toyota dealers think they can sell everything fully loaded and not have to deal with people who need cheaper auto's. At least that is what I see here in Seattle.

Tundra Grade?

Hmm.... what pun to use.... what.. pun to use....

My 1992 Civic hatchback was Tundra grade.. apparently..... me and 2 friends could sit on the tail gate and it wouldn't buckle or bend at all. Could load 110 - 200 lb transmissions in it all day too, without breaking. Well I guess that would make it "Tundra Grade Plus"!

Come to think of it, every car I've ever owned is at least Tundra Grade.

But then again, I can't complain about less chrome.

I guess Toy will now offer packages called

Turd Tailgate plus package, which will let you put loads of more than 150lb on the tailgate and limiting it to 300lb.

And

Turd Tailgate plus plus package, which will let you put loads of more than limiting it to 500lb.

That way they can make more money and say it an industry first.