Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2008 Avalon at the Georgian College Autoshow

Yep, these have been out for a month or so now.

Main changes were, like you said, the front fascias and some new rear touches, as well as new wheels, the 6-speed automatic (replacing the 5-speed it had before), and some small touch-ups, again, inside--the latter being very, very minor.

Scion comes to mind instantly and cheap LS460..... If they switch this next Avalon to rear drive, GM , Ford and Chrysler better be on guard. Too much says this will happen. That is based on where everyone else is in the segment is in the United States. I know this car is aimed at people like me. I have no desire to own this car.

Scion comes to mind instantly and cheap LS460..... If they switch this next Avalon to rear drive, GM , Ford and Chrysler better be on guard. Too much says this will happen. That is based on where everyone else is in the segment is in the United States. I know this car is aimed at people like me. I have no desire to own this car.

If they switched it to RWD, they'd either have to put it on the GS or LS platform, neither of which I could see happening.

The Accord and Avalon may eventually compete since they're almost the same size now. Honda's problem is the cheap low end of its Accord lineup and the fact that they still compete with mid-sizers even though they're not midsize.

It's o.k. It still has a somewhat odd appearance; I don't know why. Something about the overall shape seems disproportionate. If I had to choose between this car and the Buick Lucerne based on the exterior appearance, I would choose the Lucerne (until they stick the odd "Super" grille on it). The Avalon appears to have a nicer interior than the Lucerne, though. The Avalon also has a modern DOHC V6 engine mated to a six speed transmission; there is no reason why the Lucerne shouldn't offer the same engine/transmission combo. If you combined the Lucerne's exterior with the Avalon's interior and engine/trans combo, you would have one nice, elegant looking, front wheel drive large car.

Someone in my neighborhood bought a silver XL (I think that's what it's called). I didn't recognize it at first, I thought it was some sort of JDM Corolla for a second. It's an improvement, but I still wouldn't call it pretty.

A better looking grill and the 6 speed are improvements. Still has bland generic sides and a fuddy duddy interior so it still induces a yawn from me. Buick had better get there act together and offer a 6 speed automatic on the lucerne like right NOW!!!

Edited by ponchoman49

A better looking grill and the 6 speed are improvements. Still has bland generic sides and a fuddy duddy interior so it still induces a yawn from me. Buick had better get there act together and offer a 6 speed automatic on the lucerne like right NOW!!!

Right, because that 4-speed is really holding Buick back from completely outselling the Avalon.

Oh....

wait.....

• 2 weeks later...

Sure anything that says GM on it, just for you!

:P

The Lucerne is way better looking has an optional V8, Onstar, blind zone warming/lane depature and has a more comfortable/roomy interior. Does Toyota have an of that on the Crap-Alon? Didn't think so and also the Avalon is just plain ugly. :pokeowned: Still I say give me a Lucerne CXL in Crimson Red! :AH-HA_wink:

The Lucerne is way better looking has an optional V8, Onstar, blind zone warming/lane depature and has a more comfortable/roomy interior. Does Toyota have an of that on the Crap-Alon? Didn't think so and also the Avalon is just plain ugly. :pokeowned: Still I say give me a Lucerne CXL in Crimson Red! :AH-HA_wink:

Lucerne is also quieter inside. It's vault like quiet in there... almost spooky.