NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

FIRST GLIMPSE: Holden Commodore Sportwagon

44 posts in this topic

FIRST GLIMPSE: Holden Commodore Sportwagon
Posted Image
Glenn Butler | Link to Original Article @ Drive.com | 05/10/07

Full details of the forthcoming Holden VE Commodore wagon have leaked days before its official reveal at the 2007 Sydney motor show. And it confirms Drive.com.au's August report that Holden has sexed up the VE Commodore wagon, making it more of a Euro-chic sports wagon than the fleet-friendly load lugger it used to be.

Holden also believes that reinventing the Sportwagon as a more affordable alternative to European wagons from Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz will draw more buyers to the brand.

Officially, the VE-based Commodore wagon Holden will display at the Sydney motor show is a concept only, but, as the leaked pictures show, the Commodore Sportwagon is production ready. Expect only the 20-inch wheels to be dropped for the production model, which goes on sale early in 2008.

For the first time, the wagon will be built on the shorter of the Holden Commodore's two platforms. This should allow Holden the necessary scope to improve the Sportwagon's dynamic abilities to better match its name.

A full range of models will be offered, starting with the Omega – which will no doubt do the majority of the fleet business – through to the mid-level Berlina and topped by the luxury Calais and Calais V. Holden will also offer a full range of sporting models – SV6, SS and SS-V – for the first time (Commodore SS wagons have been available in the past, but never a range like this).

Each Commodore Sportwagon model will mirror the equipment and safety levels of the equivalent sedan. Pricing has not been disclosed, but the wagon is likely to carry a $2000 premium over the sedan, which starts around $35,000.

The change in focus for the Commodore wagon from fleet-machine to stylish family wagon necessitated changes to the wagon's load area. The tailgate's hinges have been pushed further back into the roof to allow a wider opening, and to make loading easier. It's not known whether Holden has lifted the aircraft-style runners/adjustable luggage tie-down system from Saab, another GM-owned brand.

Engines for the rear-wheel-drive Sportwagon are also lifted straight from the VE Commodore sedan. The Omega and Berlina Sportwagon will have a 180kW version of the 3.6-litre six-cylinder engine, offered with a four-speed automatic transmission. The Calais and SV6 models will get the same engine in a higher-performance 195kW, and teamed with a five-speed automatic gearbox.

Calais and Calais V buyers will be able to option the 270kW, 6.0-litre V8 engine that is standard in SS and SS-V sports models. All V8s will be available with a six-speed automatic transmission; S and SS-V buyers will have to pay extra to upgrade from the standard six-speed manual.

Holden Commodore Sportwagon models will also benefit from recent tweaks to the Holden line-up, including a six-speed transmission for V8 models that deletes the transmission's sport/power button for a more user-friendly shift-to-the-side power mode.

--------------------------------------------
G8 Coming to America in 2009?
Posted Image
Link to Original Post @ CamaroZ28

You all (should) know GuionM and his occasionaly insights into the future of GM's rear-wheel drivers. Here's an excerpt of the relative bombshell dropped over at CZ28...

Expect a Pontiac G8 wagon here for the 2009MY.

The upcoming G8 and the prospect of the one-of-a-kind Ute is gathering all the news.

Importing the wagon to the US was part of the case for the Commodore wagon. GM North America wanted to do away with it in favor of shipping to Australia a small crossover from the US in it's place.

Check out his original posts at the link above.

This news of a strongly-likely G8 wagon fleshes out the top-end of the Pontiac lineup - a G8 sedan, yet-unnamed Ute, and a companion station wagon - and leaves us asking the question...would you buy a wagon as hot as this?

Bring it here to North America as a Pontiac or Buick wagon by summer of 2009 and you have me ready to buy one. Unlike most, I really liked the 2003-2004 Saturn LW-300 station wagons and would have bought one instead of the '04 Malibu LT I did in November of 2003 (the wife absolutely doesn't like S/W's at all, so that was the deal killer for me and a LW-300). Now that we're not going to share cars anymore and I get to choose what I want, I will forego a pickup truck for the opportunity to buy a station wagon. Come on GM, don't disappoint me. I've got $$$ to back up my claim :thumbsup:

Bring it here to North America as a Pontiac or Buick wagon by summer of 2009 and you have me ready to buy one. Unlike most, I really liked the 2003-2004 Saturn LW-300 station wagons and would have bought one instead of the '04 Malibu LT I did in November of 2003 (the wife absolutely doesn't like S/W's at all, so that was the deal killer for me and a LW-300). Now that we're not going to share cars anymore and I get to choose what I want, I will forego a pickup truck for the opportunity to buy a station wagon. Come on GM, don't disappoint me. I've got $$$ to back up my claim :thumbsup:

A Pontiac G8 Safari would be no problem technically, so just write/email GM and lobby your local dealers. Ask them to at the very least show a G8 wagon concept early next year, and don't forget to mention you are ready to buy, not merely that you think it's a good idea.

Looks great, bring it on over so the Magnum has competition!

Looks very upscale with those wheels. The last one we saw (I'm guessing an SV6) had the uglier wheels on it. I guess this is the Calais V model? I hope this comes over as a Pontiac, but please no Safari name. Ick!

Call it Pontiac G8 GTWX :)

Looks better than the sedan.

<--- dons flamesuit

Wagons always look better than sedans. :AH-HA_wink:

Who is Don? :huh:

<--- dons flamesuit

Wagons always look better than sedans. :AH-HA_wink:

:o Wow! I never would have thought you were a wagon man.

From another website:

Posted Image

Nice! GXP trim with manual trans please! And my 100lb dog needs to fit in back...and they need to offer a pull up barrier like the BMW/Audi wagons do.

Sexiest wagon since the 1990s BMW 5-er. :)

But.... it's a Holden. It needs to be re-styled to make it more Pontiac. This would be a disgrace to Pontiac's great heritage.

Just Kidding :P

I will always prefer a coupe or sedan over a wagon, but that wagon does look amazing. Traditionally, I would be against Pontiac having any wagons at all, but if it looks like that, I'll make an exception. Thank you Holden for making GM's that I would actually want to own.

I prefer the sedan a little bit more, but this is still a very nice piece...I'd have no objections to taking this over a smaller SUV.

A Pontiac G8 Safari would be no problem technically, so just write/email GM and lobby your local dealers. Ask them to at the very least show a G8 wagon concept early next year, and don't forget to mention you are ready to buy, not merely that you think it's a good idea.

Would you PM me the e-mail addresses of the right people to write to? I'd love for nothing else to own a modern-day station wagon like this Holden. I'd be happy with it as a Pontiac nonetheless. Seeing as how I was going to buy my next vehicle late summer of 2009, this would be an obvious choice for me. I really do want a truck, but would put it on the backburner to get my hands on this s/w. Of course once it's paid off, then maybe I can add a pickup at that point. TIA!

Wagons rock.

The only way I'd buy a 3-series is in wagon form, because that way you get to say, "I'm purchasing it solely for its combination of utility and performance, not style or image. I fully acknowledge that the 3-series is neither cool nor stylish nor original. If I weren't pragmatic or an antisocial driving enthusiast, I'd happily buy a more glamorous CTS, which I have the good grace to endorse. I'm an original thinker, honest!"

Basically you get to enjoy driving a new 3-series without having to wipe off reg's phlegm from your windshield.

Thank you Holden for making GM's that I would actually want to own.

My sentiments exactly.

:o Wow! I never would have thought you were a wagon man.

I have always loved wagons - they take the boredom factor out of a sedan design.

Just like a coupe.

or a Ute.

And I'm fine with the Safari name on this car.

While I dont ever see myself EVER buying a wagon , that is a damn fine looking one though . It looks as upscale as a A6 wagon . Im not sure how the G8 front clip would transfer though , the Calais front end on the Holden looks like perfection . I say bring it though , I see Dodge Magnums EVERYWHERE , business case made .

Edited by silverss/sc

I have always loved wagons - they take the boredom factor out of a sedan design.

Just like a coupe.

or a Ute.

And I'm fine with the Safari name on this car.

I've always liked wagons, and been especially fond of performance wagons because the dogs can fit in the back and they can surprise Mustang owners at the stoplight. Add in a taller stance and an AWD system (a la Holden Adventra) and do double takes. I'd sell my Av for something like that and get an old truck for haulin the big stuff.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor