Solstice Targa (GMX627) coming in '09

GM plans Pontiac Solstice Targa
Posted Image
10/05/07, 10:02am, EDT | Link to Original Article @ LeftLane News

General Motors will begin production of a Pontiac Solstice Targa model in early 2009, according to well placed sources. It's not clear how the project relates to the previously-rumored Solstice coupe. Internally, GM refers to the Targa as GMX627.

Production will start production in January of 2009 at GM's Wilmington plant. Production may be limited to as few as 10,000 units annually. Possible debut venues would include SEMA '08 or LAIAS '08.

Lutz said any possible Solstice Coupe would look "exactly" like the Solstice Coupe Concept shown in 2002, so it's safe to assume the Targa model will share its basic lines with that concept. He said it was always GM's intention to build the coupe, but priority went to the roadster.

Awesome, if their "safe assumption" comes true...

Hmmmmmm, Someone may have already driven one! :smilewide:

That is just a wish of mine.

I believe Pontias was not wishing but stating a fact. :smilewide: But I do wish I could test drive these mules. That would be an awesome job. :smilewide:

Once these models arrive, it will truly be the baby Corvette, offering the same bodystyles and everything. I think this will go a long way in improving sales that have slumped. I bet the coupe and targa will double sales.

So would 'someone' like to comment about an increase in trunk/hatch space?

Thats what Im sayin . A real useable trunk would take from being a looker , to a potential buyer .

Targa , useable trunk and LNF FTW !!!!

Crank that 2.0 turbo to 300hp. Make its dynamics class leading, add 6-speed in it and then throw it on the tails of the Germans and then see them run like Chicken lil's.

and with a base 2.4L w/ ~200hp, yes.

is the 3.6L too tall for the engine bay?

but yes. 300hp with a 6 speed, how can it go wrong?

With cargo space at a premium in the Kappa chassis, a softtop Targa bodystyle could be a solution for storing the top while on excursion. This sounds very promising, and it is a REAL Pontiac! :AH-HA_wink:

you know...

every day, i seem to be impressed more and more by Lutz...

it seems everything he has said is coming true...

GM seems to be lining up a whole fleet of considerable vehicles for the average public...

Alpha, Kappa, Epsilon II, Zeta, Sigma II, Lambda, Gamma, next gen Equinox, C7, Ute, CUV(ridgeline competition), C3XX and more are expected within the next 4-5 years... thats basically everything GM sells is going to be redesigned... on more flexible, cheaper, more desireable platforms...

I really see GM growing year of year until at least 2013...it would be nice to see them get back into the 30% market share again...

With cargo space at a premium in the Kappa chassis, a softtop Targa bodystyle could be a solution for storing the top while on excursion. This sounds very promising, and it is a REAL Pontiac! :AH-HA_wink:

A real Saturn and Opel too. :AH-HA_wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Is the targa bodystyle going to other divisions selling Kappas?

Mr. hyper... what other car is a Solstice twin? None. It wears its own distinctive skin. And that's the way it should be. Saturn was going through a style transformation to become a mere American Opel... no big deal the Sky is a (good looking) clone of the GT. Daewoo is a non-entity here in The States, so I don't care.

Edited by ocnblu

Is the targa bodystyle going to other divisions selling Kappas?

Mr. hyper... what other car is a Solstice twin? None. It wears its own distinctive skin. And that's the way it should be. Saturn was going through a style transformation to become a mere American Opel... no big deal the Sky is a (good looking) clone of the GT. Daewoo is a non-entity here in The States, so I don't care.

Ok, if you want to look at it like that.

Hmmm what other car is a twin to the G8 sold in this country. The same logic should apply to this as you did to the Daewoo, so the G8 looking like a Holden should be a non-issue here too since the Holden is not sold here.

You can twist the Sky and Solstice as much as you want. While they are not identical twins they are closely related twins all the same. At least the XLR got a different drivetrain than the Vette.

Edited by hyperv6

Ack, I hate chess. Yeah, Holden is as much a non-entity here as Daewoo, I guess. That doesn't change my opinion that the G8 is flat and generic.

I can respect it if you don't like the car. I guess what gets to me is trying to say it is just not Pontiac enough.

That was like the last GTO not looking like a GTO for some. The problem is there are 11 different ideas [or model years] of what a GTO can be. The same can be said on the new Pontiacs that are coming.

Too often on this site we all think with out hearts and not our heads when we see new designs. We have to consider all the factors and the fact the majority are not Pontiac fan. When the G8 was started many at GM did not even know if there would be a Pontiac by the time it reached market with the money problems and all.

I may not be a fan of the G6 but I will never claim them to not be Pontiac enough.

Sorry I did not mean to single you out with my comments. But once a comment is made a small group forms and jumps on the it not Pontiac enough love train and it was so quiet.

I guess we are all the victim of Pontiac just not having a real true direction for so long that we are all on different pages anymore. The sad thing is this is only what is going to make it harder to try to satisfy the old Pontiac gard fans oe whats left of them vs starting in a new directrion in styling. It would not be Pontiac's first fresh start and it just maybe time for a new one to start today with the G8.

When I spent a little time with the one G8 at work many there who were not Pontiac fans just were beside themselves at the new car. We were lucky to not only see the top but the drive train under the car. It made a great impression on many that were there.

I also think you will be more than happy with the G8 when it moves north in a few years. Things will be a little different.

I like the Solstice the least out of all the RWD Pontiacs. I'll take Holden designs any day.

For that matter, I'll take Opel designs over REAL Pontiac designs too. The Sky looks a lot better.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V