2009 Pontiac Vibe GT

FIRST LOOK: 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT
Posted Image

Posted ImageC&G Color Palette

All-new, but still retaining the original's blend of style, performance and versatility, the 2009 Pontiac Vibe also signals the return of the popular all-wheel drive and performance-oriented GT models (shown here). The 2009 Vibe will make its public debut at the upcoming Los Angeles Auto Show and will be available at Pontiac dealerships in early 2008.

Looks like it got hit with the ugly stick. Gotta love Toyota's massive 128 hp engine. Yet another reason why Pontiac is a rental car brand, not a performance brand. Even if the G8 does well, and Solstice does well (although sales and resale value are dropping, while the Sky rises), the volume cars are the G5, G6 and Vibe, they are selling more fleet junk than good cars, and that will hurt the image of the good cars, it is already happening with the Solstice.

The front end looks pretty good. Funky, bold, and modern at the same time... not at all blobby. The Vibe is important for Pontiac because it attracts conquest buyers and because it's the most fuel-efficient vehicle in NA GM's lineup.

Remember, there is always one dog that gets sacrificed for the greater good of the larger group. As long as Cadillac and Chevy continue to get stronger and Buick and GMC slowly grow, then sacrificing Pontiac for Rental sales and Fuel milage auto's is just another way to make a stop gap measure while the General continues to improve getting his house in order.

I see the Vibe as a stop gap measure as they revamp everything in time in the Generals Portfolio. Also, why waste money when you can make money and save expenses working with a competitor. The car is not a bad little sellar and it does fill the need for a high gas milage Auto.

:metal: Rock on General!!!

Yes of course it cannot hope to hide its Toyota DNA, but I like it... except it looks like it has those outdated chromey-clear taillights on it from this angle. I do like the front end, it's bold, has a nicely-executed split grille, and I like the headlights. A measurable improvement over the old one. And no cladding! There is character in the sheetmetal, for example the fender line that echoes the roof curvature. See now, that's what I'd like to see on Pontiacs... a bodyshell with some sort of style (which can be debated, of course), instead of the "stealthy" G8, which is so featureless GM thinks it can fit into SIX of their global brand lineups with a minimum of unique identifiers.

P.S.: does that thing have a silver arrowhead emblem?

Edited by ocnblu

I think it looks sharp! It's a nice evolution of the current car. I think the current version still looks pretty good (except for the grille update; the original grille looked more distinctive), so I can see why Pontiac didn't go for a completely different appearance. I don't know if casual viewers will notice that this is a redesign, but I can see it and I like what I see. I especially like the new front end and detailing on the sides. I can't wait to see it at the dealership.

As far as engines and transmissions, I don't see why they can't put the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder and 5 speed automatic transmission from the base Camry in this thing as an upgrade. Mazda puts the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder/5 speed automatic from the base Mazda6 in the upscale versions of the Mazda3 and it performs quite well. Toyota puts this engine (although it's partnered with a 4 speed auto transmission) in the Scion xB which is based on the Corolla platform (as is the Vibe and Matrix). Why can't they do something similar with this. If they still want to offer a turbocharged engine as the top choice above the 2.4, then that's great (Mazda does this with the Mazda3 also).

If Toyota would let Pontiac offer the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, the 5 speed automatic transmission, and 4 wheel antilock disc brakes (also offered on the Scion xB), then Pontiac would have a fairly competitive compact vehicle on the market. I would like for it to have an independent rear suspension (like the Mazda3 and Honda Civic), but I don't think it's going to happen.

I think this serves well as a stopgap measure for Pontiac to keep sells going until the all rear wheel drive lineup appears (which needs to be soon). If there is a next generation, it needs to be reassigned to another division (Saturn or Chevy). I would like to see Pontiac offer a full rear wheel drive compact family on the Alpha platform. I see a sedan, coupe, convertible, and a five door hatchback in rear wheel drive with all wheel drive as an upgrade.

I think appearance wise, the new Vibe will compliment the new G8 sedan (and wagon, if GM will bring it over) very well. Now Pontiac needs to do something about the front drive G6 if they are going to keep it around as a stopgap measure for another 4 or 5 years.

The character line where the front fenders meets the doors and the way the greenhouse budges towards that line makes it look chubby...

I don't like it...from the A-pillar back it's ok, and the front fascia is ok, but between those two areas lie a mess...

G8 styling 1,000x > Vibe styling

i think i am fine with it.

i wish it had some motor.

the first vibe sold well. this should do ok too.

cars like the vibe and g6 and torrent bring in sales revenue that allows pontiac dealers to keep the doors open, and hence, to sell things like the new g8, which won't keep dealers afloat by itself.

it also sells to conquest buyers and youth.

back part of the greenhouse is looking a bit too prius though.

Edited by regfootball

Looks like it got hit with the ugly stick. Gotta love Toyota's massive 128 hp engine. Yet another reason why Pontiac is a rental car brand, not a performance brand.

They haven't been a performance brand for years now.. That is the ultimate goal, not the current reality.

Even if the G8 does well, and Solstice does well (although sales and resale value are dropping, while the Sky rises),

If this is in fact true, I'd venture to say it's because of 1) The Solstice GXP and 2) The Sky's MUCH more limited production numbers. Not the rest of the Pontiac portfolio.

the volume cars are the G5, G6 and Vibe, they are selling more fleet junk than good cars, and that will hurt the image of the good cars, it is already happening with the Solstice.

Last I checked, volume didn't automatically equal fleet.

Anyway, I really like the Vibe! I think it'll do well for Pontiac and GM. Sure, it doesn't belong in the division, BUT Pontiac needs all the help it can get at this point. And considering everything they're getting or rumored to get in the next few years (This, Alpha, G6 update, G8, Ute, G8 wagon, Solstice Targa, GTO) I think the transition will pick up momentum from here on out.

Booooring. Nice Nissan headlights though. :P

It's high time GM sever this relationship with Toyota!

I agree. No sense in sleeping with the enemy.

it looks great. the sharpened lines, fresh face, and more Matrix-like stance sharply improve the aesthetics. The Vibe from before is a mommy-vehicle, whereas the Matrix really lends itself to customization. Part of the problem was the tired face; this new face is much better than before; still I'm hoping Pontiac can redefine its face soon. The sloping front window is a stupid design cue...needs to go away.

Booooring. Nice Nissan headlights though. :P

I rather find it as a Sentra Hatch, not Toyota. Well marriage of Toy and GM brings out Nissan, no wonders Ghosn feels like getting GM like an abandoned child wanting to take his father's legacy.

I agree. No sense in sleeping with the enemy.

Yup, brings out a bastard child who is also an enemy.

Any photos of the interior?

They haven't been a performance brand for years now.. That is the ultimate goal, not the current reality.

If this is in fact true, I'd venture to say it's because of 1) The Solstice GXP and 2) The Sky's MUCH more limited production numbers. Not the rest of the Pontiac portfolio.

Last I checked, volume didn't automatically equal fleet.

Anyway, I really like the Vibe! I think it'll do well for Pontiac and GM. Sure, it doesn't belong in the division, BUT Pontiac needs all the help it can get at this point. And considering everything they're getting or rumored to get in the next few years (This, Alpha, G6 update, G8, Ute, G8 wagon, Solstice Targa, GTO) I think the transition will pick up momentum from here on out.

I agree, they haven't been a performance brand in a long time, I don't know why they keep saying they are. I am not sure why it is the goal even, they don't have the products (or money) to achieve it.

I read the Solstice sales were dropping, while the Sky had been rising. I also looked up used Skys in my area and they sell for the same as new, sometimes even more still. The Solstice however is selling for a few thousand less than new, I think having a Pontiac symbol on the front hurts it because Pontiac is a "damaged brand" and Saturn is not.

The Grand Prix was 78% rental fleet sales in 2006 or 2007, the G6 I think is around 30%, just like the Malibu and Cobalt are. The G5 and Vibe are probably lower, but they sell for such low cost, and with incentives. None of those cars are image or profit boosters. If GM is serious about Cadillac, Pontiac, and Buick they need to cut fleet sales to 8%. GM's corprate average is still 23-24% despite them saying they are going to reduce fleet sales.

Or if they need a fleet and economy brand, make 3-4 Pontiacs that are cheap and mainly fleet cars. G8 can be the Taxi/police car, G5, Vibe and G6 go to rental lots. Especially the Vibe, they should fleet the heck out of it, and hope it drags the Matrix down too. Then they can cut the rental car sales on other brands all together.

Why do those who cry the G8 is not a Pontiac not cry out on this vehicle?

A rebadged 4 cylinder Toyota is as far from a Pontiac as you can get.

To me I am not a fan of this car and nver have been. But It drives well and I am sure it is cheap to build while it makes money in lower volumes at a time Pontiac needs product in the show room. I can accept it for that.

I just know this car is just buying time till we see true Pontiac or at least GM platdform taking this things place. Just thank God they sis not rebadge a Scion.

I would rather have seen this car do duty as a Chevy or Aveo wagon as it is not really not a performance car but in thruth it is a stylish value car like Chevy represents.

It will continue to attract younger buyers to the BPG dealers. The only thing lacking on the old car was a real engine. If this gets the 2.4 liter engine, it should do well.

let's hope the 2.2L LAP that's supposedly going in 09 cobalts.

Wow! So many sour grapes over this vehicle because it is the product of a joint venture between GM and Toyota! :nono:

It looks great and serves its purpose well of keeping Pontiac going until GM kicks it into gear with the proposed all rear wheel drive lineup that seems to be in a perpetual talking stage but never becoming reality. If Toyota will allow GM to install some great options and engine/transmission combos into the new generation Vibe, then this will be a great small car for Ponitac. The only other compact alternative is the G5, which is such a blatantly lame attempt at transforming a Chevy Cobalt Coupe into a Pontiac that it makes me sick to look at it. To me, the Matrix and Vibe don't resemble each other as closely as the Cobalt and G5 (which is just a Cobalt Coupe with Cobalt Sedan taillamps and a forced-on Pontiac nostril grille. How pitiful is that?).

If Pontiac keeps its promise of producing an all rear wheel drive lineup, then this vehicle should go away or be assigned to another division (if contract conditions dictate that it must continue to be produced). Until this proposed future lineup appears, I am happy to see the Vibe is here to help keep Pontiac's doors open. :yes:

Maybe I should clarify my opinion further. It does have the profile of the Matrix. I would much rather the Pontiac Vibe be built off Delta or the new Gamma platform, with the excellent Ecotec engines. The point I was trying to make is... it has some body contouring, it has an engaging front end and nice looking rims. I am sure it will have good fuel mileage, and I welcome back the AWD chassis. It certainly has an advantage over Chevy's small, tall hatchback, the HHR, with the AWD option.

I am not sure how long GM and Toyota have this agreement for joint venture. It certainly has been going on for quite a few years now.

Maybe I should clarify my opinion further. It does have the profile of the Matrix. I would much rather the Pontiac Vibe be built off Delta or the new Gamma platform, with the excellent Ecotec engines. The point I was trying to make is... it has some body contouring, it has an engaging front end and nice looking rims. I am sure it will have good fuel mileage, and I welcome back the AWD chassis. It certainly has an advantage over Chevy's small, tall hatchback, the HHR, with the AWD option.

I am not sure how long GM and Toyota have this agreement for joint venture. It certainly has been going on for quite a few years now.

It goes waaayyy back to the power of the Prism.....

I kinda liked the look of the Vibe...and as long as it keeps Pontiac's doors open and our dreams alive, then I am all for it, Toyota or not. :yes:

I'm already seeing a few Vibes with over 150k, so they seem to be holding up well out there....

The new one looks nice, though I need to see more than one pic, or see this thing in person.....

It goes waaayyy back to the power of the Prism.....

I kinda liked the look of the Vibe...and as long as it keeps Pontiac's doors open and our dreams alive, then I am all for it, Toyota or not. :yes:

I'm already seeing a few Vibes with over 150k, so they seem to be holding up well out there....

The new one looks nice, though I need to see more than one pic, or see this thing in person.....