Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Holden Torana may spearhead global midsize RWD comback

39 posts in this topic

Torana to Spearhead Alpha Return to RWD
American Ute plans 'deferred'
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ TheAge

The Torana, Holden's popular small car, may soon make a comeback.

Bob Lutz, global president of General Motors, said yesterday that its Australian outpost would be a big part of an attempt to build a mid-sized rear-wheel-drive car for the world market by 2011.

Mr Lutz said GM was just starting to look at the mid-sized car, code-named Alpha. Holden displayed a Torana-sized concept car at the Sydney Motor Show in 2004.

Called the TT36 Hatch Concept, the car was about the right dimensions for the Alpha platform, Mr Lutz said. The concept car included some parts from the now redundant Commodore platform.

GM's plans for a global rear-wheel-drive small car were spoiled after it revealed plans to the United Auto Workers, the US union representing workers in the US, as part of pay negotiations. The union then published the details.

Mr Lutz also confirmed that the strong Australian dollar was upsetting Holden's plans to sell large rear-wheel-drive cars in the US.

He said current plans to sell the Holden Commodore in the US, rebadged as a Pontiac G8, would continue, but similar plans for the Commodore ute would remain deferred.

Mr Lutz also confirmed that the strong Australian dollar was upsetting Holden's plans to sell large rear-wheel-drive cars in the US. He said current plans to sell the Holden Commodore in the US, rebadged as a Pontiac G8, would continue, but similar plans for the Commodore ute would remain deferred.

Hmmmmm, are they storm cloulds I see on Pontiac's horizon. Tick Tock, Tick Tock! Uttt Ohhh! :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Well Poop.

No Ute for now :( Time to get that Oshawa plant retooled PDQ.

Hmmmmm, are they storm cloulds I see on Pontiac's horizon. Tick Tock, Tick Tock! Uttt Ohhh! :AH-HA_wink:

Or is that GM getting more reasons to build U.S. versions of the Zeta architecture in North America?

I hate when these GM jerks lie. I could care less about the bucket-o-bolts known as the the Ute. But when execs like Lutz spin "news" it insults my intelligence. Is he personally just waking up to the fact that the US Dollar has steadily lost ground to the Australian Dollar for the better part of the last decade? If so, all the six-figure economists in his employ should be fired at once! Or (more likely) is he just counting on the moron press to simply suck up every word that comes out of his mouth? I guess he couldn't just come out and say that Holdens sold in America are doomed duds, could he?

Mr Lutz also confirmed that the strong Australian dollar was upsetting Holden's plans to sell large rear-wheel-drive cars in the US.

He said current plans to sell the Holden Commodore in the US, rebadged as a Pontiac G8, would continue, but similar plans for the Commodore ute would remain deferred.

I hate when these GM jerks lie. I could care less about the bucket-o-bolts known as the the Ute. But when execs like Lutz spin "news" it insults my intelligence. Is he personally just waking up to the fact that the US Dollar has steadily lost ground to the Australian Dollar for the better part of the last decade? If so, all the six-figure economists in his employ should be fired at once! Or (more likely) is he just counting on the moron press to simply suck up every word that comes out of his mouth? I guess he couldn't just come out and say that Holdens sold in America are doomed duds, could he?

Probably because the G8 will not be a "doomed dud" and as for the Ute, many, many enthusiasts care a great deal about it.

Or is that GM getting more reasons to build U.S. versions of the Zeta architecture in North America?

Ahhh see, now your on to my plan, cut the Aussie crap off and build it here. Now Oshawa won't be able to build all of them, so what other plant is around without a product in the near future, with rail lines and a port for shipment overseas? Hmmmmmm! :AH-HA_wink:

Ahhh see, now your on to my plan, cut the Aussie crap off and build it here. Now Oshawa won't be able to build all of them, so what other plant is around without a product in the near future, with rail lines and a port for shipment overseas? Hmmmmmm! :AH-HA_wink:

Here?

in Zürich?

Fairfax?

Don't know where you're coming from with that comment, but the Ute is hardly a bucket of bolts. In fact, it performs its intended function pretty damn well considering what its based on. As for exchange rates, they are only part of the picture when it comes to import costs, and are affected by numerous different factors, many of which are very difficult if not impossible to predict.

For someone who works for GM you really should know better. I'm the first to admit Holden has built its fair share of crap cars in the past, but VE is not one of them. I would suggest you take a look at some of Opel's past efforts if you want to see what "crap" looks like, plenty of examples within their product portfolio; should keep you occupied for hours. :wavey:

So the Union confirmed one of autodom's worst kept secrets: that there will be compact/midsize rear wheel drive vehicles produced based on a platform called Alpha. Like most of the auto enthusiasts' sites haven't reported on this already (wake up Bob!). The big news would be to finally see the production versions materialize already. A compact rear wheel drive sedan based on the Holden Torana concept car would be an awesome addition to the Pontiac lineup (as well as coupe, convertible, and 5-door hatchback variants). Let's see less talk and more action.

As far as Zeta variants, I thought they were going to be built in North America in the near future anyway? I wouldn't be as worried about importing a product that will sell in low volumes to a few enthusiasts (El Camino, Caballero, or whatever Bob wants to call the trucklet this week), as I would about a rear drive replacement for the current front drive Impala and Lucerne sedans. It seems to me that there would be more money made on these two sedan models than a North American Ute variant (Although I would love to see it here to satisfy the enthusiasts; it simply would not be a priority).

If I had to pick an Australian Zeta product to import to the U.S., then I would send the upcoming sports wagon over as a Pontiac G8 variant to support Pontiac's lineup until the rear wheel drive lineup conversion is complete. Although I know the wagon would sell in low numbers, I think its increased utility would sell better here than the Ute.

I really hope this means Pontiac's Zetas will be built in NA, with American-designed sheetmetal, as soon as possible. And although another Alpha thread seems to emphasize Cadillac and kind of backs away from Pontiac, I hope to see Alpha on BPG lots with some updated, but still recognizable Pontiac design.

Most moronic post ever.

I can hear the scream clear across the state!

More like a howl.

GM has been teasing about an El Camino for so long now, it really constitutes torture.

I really hope this means Pontiac's Zetas will be built in NA, with American-designed sheetmetal, as soon as possible. And although another Alpha thread seems to emphasize Cadillac and kind of backs away from Pontiac, I hope to see Alpha on BPG lots with some updated, but still recognizable Pontiac design.

My bet is that the Zeta Cadillac and Buicks will be made on a line in the states, the Zeta G8, Camaro, Impala, Firebird, and possibly a Saturn later on down the road in Oshawa...

More like a howl.

GM has been teasing about an El Camino for so long now, it really constitutes torture.

Camino, what wrong did you do to GM? Did you sleep with any of the executives' daughter/wife? You deserve better news.

More like a howl.

Didn't you hear? Torture is in this year.....

MOre RWD = :smilewide: I love the idea of a modern affordable RWD car.

As was mentioned before Pontiac should reincarnate the BMW 2002.

I certainly hope so!!!!!!!

All this Zeta B.S. (setbacks, delays, cancelations...) are begining to smell like AXL's Chinese Democracy. <_<:angry:

GM better get a couple Zetas in every division or they're F***ed.

Seems like the RWD G-6 will be a reality in 2012-13. So much for the wait. I think GM waited too long for the Alpha. Torana concept came back in 2004/05. GM should have got it in grove by 2009.

BMW has the new 1 series, I hope GM comes with something strong in these alphas. Put the Pontiac to compete the 1-series and the Caddy to be inline with the 3-series.

And your IQ is?

Camino, what wrong did you do to GM? Did you sleep with any of the executives' daughter/wife? You deserve better news.

Don't be so closed minded, perhaps it was a son/brother! :smilewide:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0