Malibu will 'take over' the digital world on Oct. 17th

Flybrian

I haven't used the OnStar stuff, but I have used a Milo GPS navigation on several occasions. Borrowed a friends when we went to Clearwater Beach, FL for vacation back in August. I gotta tell ya, made getting around the area a breeze. We drove to St. Petersburg and back, to Tampa and back, all up and down the coast, found all of our restaurants in a snap, and even used the points of interest feature to look up and locate a fantastic mexican place on our way back from Tampa one day. And THEN used it to get around a nasty traffic jam.

Sorry, but I can't see turn-by-turn doing all that for me. And that was with a $200 aftermarket navigation.

With the Lancer's $2000 navigation and technology package, I get all that PLUS a music server w/ 30GB of music storage for MP3s and remote keyless entry and start. Sounds like a helluva deal to me. And I can get that, a sunroof, 6CD-changer, 8-speakers w/ a 10" sub AND bluetooth for $22k.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of what a person refers, offering nav doesn't affect the people who don't want it. I don't see why GM just can't OFFER a navigation and technology package in the top-o-the-line mid-size cars. Whats the problem? Its completely mind-boggling that you two are arguing that because OnStar may be superior in some ways, that GM shouldn't even bother with OFFERING navigation. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Sorry, but I can't see turn-by-turn doing all that for me. And that was with a $200 aftermarket navigation.

That's EXACTLY how turn by turn would help you.

*Press blue button*

Rep: Thank you for calling Onstar, how can I help you today Mr. Dude?"

Bowtie_Dude: "I'm stuck in a terrible traffic jam on Interstate 75. What's the fastest way to Mr. Fantastic's Mexican Place in Tampa?"

Rep: "Certainly. I can help you find that Mr. Dude. Would you like me to send the directions to your Turn-by-turn?"

Bowtie_Dude: "Yes please kind Onstar lady."

Rep: "Download complete, will there be anything else today?"

Bowtie_Dude: "Could you change our reservation to 7:30, we're obviously going to be late. It's under "Dude, party of 4""

Rep: "Certainly, hold one moment"

*elevator music*

Rep: "Your reservation is confirmed for 7:30 under Dude party of 4, anything else I can assist you with?"

Bowtie_Dude:"No, thanks that will be all"

Rep: "Thank you for calling Onstar and have a great day"

Now.... do that with your Garmin.

Regardless of what a person refers, offering nav doesn't affect the people who don't want it. I don't see why GM just can't OFFER a navigation and technology package in the top-o-the-line mid-size cars. Whats the problem? Its completely mind-boggling that you two are arguing that because OnStar may be superior in some ways, that GM shouldn't even bother with OFFERING navigation. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Again, you aren't listening. I'm saying that not offering NAV will not significantly effect sales. I'm not against them offering it... I just don't see it as such a big deal that they don't.

And yes, I do think onstar turn-by-turn is superior because I've used it's predecessor.

Again, you aren't listening. I'm saying that not offering NAV will not significantly effect sales. I'm not against them offering it... I just don't see it as such a big deal that they don't.

And yes, I do think onstar turn-by-turn is superior because I've used it's predecessor.

And I think it will affect sales. If not directly, then indirectly as it will affect perception.

But do you see my point as to how Turn-by-turn can be better? Always get up to date information.

Well, that is also a matter of preference. I'm 24 and I like the interactivity of a navigation system. While I see the benefit of OnStar's Connections and Directions w/ Turn-by-Turn, I'd rather have the touch-screen nav screen. *shrug*

But hey, whatever floats your boat. I'm just trying to say that offering a navigation/technology package would boost public and journalist perception of the Malibu, not to mention hit a very lucrative car market (loaded models make lots of money, if I'm not mistaken).

OnStar blows Nav systems out of the water. End of story.

I'm still interested in your opinion as to why GM even offers nav systems at all, if OnStar Turn-By-Turn is so superior.

Wait a minute... I just saw a press release from April showing that OnStar is partnering with MapQuest for its turn-by-turn navigation. That ruins its "superiority" right there. :rolleyes:

Honda and others are scrambling to play catch up.

Let's see... not only does everyone else (except Hyundai/Kia) offer nav, but the Altima and Avenger/Sebring will give traffic updates as well through XM or Sirius, something I know that OnStar doesn't do... unless you want to use up your hands-free calling minutes with the Virtual Advisor. So Honda, Toyota, and Ford may be catching up, but Nissan and even Chrysler are enjoying a view from the front. Technologically, that is.

Well, that is also a matter of preference. I'm 24 and I like the interactivity of a navigation system. While I see the benefit of OnStar's Connections and Directions w/ Turn-by-Turn, I'd rather have the touch-screen nav screen. *shrug*

But hey, whatever floats your boat. I'm just trying to say that offering a navigation/technology package would boost public and journalist perception of the Malibu, not to mention hit a very lucrative car market (loaded models make lots of money, if I'm not mistaken).

I'm 28 and a techno-nerd. I'd rather have the TrafficNav offered in the CTS. I'd never buy the Malibu because I stick with the Cadillac class or go classic.

I'm still interested in your opinion as to why GM even offers nav systems at all, if OnStar Turn-By-Turn is so superior.

Wait a minute... I just saw a press release from April showing that OnStar is partnering with MapQuest for its turn-by-turn navigation. That ruins its "superiority" right there. :rolleyes:

Let's see... not only does everyone else (except Hyundai/Kia) offer nav, but the Altima and Avenger/Sebring will give traffic updates as well through XM or Sirius, something I know that OnStar doesn't do... unless you want to use up your hands-free calling minutes with the Virtual Advisor. So Honda, Toyota, and Ford may be catching up, but Nissan and even Chrysler are enjoying a view from the front. Technologically, that is.

GM has 10 years and tens of millions tied up in OnStar. Next year, it will be standard on everything. So will XM radio, which GM also owns a chunk of. In the lower priced vehicles (like the base Civic and Mazda 3) DVD Nav systems are not even offered; whereas, OnStar can be had in the Cobalt, if the owner so chooses. iPod has made MP3 players popular because iPod is very portable and simple to use - even old farts like me can figure it out. I am not adverse to technology - I foolishly forked over $300 4 years ago to buy an MPIO player and it was a nightmare to download to and use, especially with a lousy 256mb internal memory. (The salesman misled me by telling me it would be a mb a song; rather it turned out to be a mb a minute!)

If anything, the market's convergence of technologies is getting silly: for example, who needs XM, an iPod input, and an MP3 capable 6-pk in-dash Cd changer, as in the Equinox? People will gravitate to one or the other. Since I got my portable XM 2 years ago (and now have 2 XM units - in my house and car), I don't use Cds at all, and although I was using my iPod at the gym, I barely bother with that anymore either. I have 3 digital cameras, if you include the one in my phone, yet I forgot to take a picture at the accident scene when a dumb chick turned into my new car 6 weeks ago!

GM offers DVD nav systems in their high end vehicles because the posers demand it. The dirty secret out there is that most people don't use their nav systems after the first year. After all, you don't need them for the morning commute and unless you have the DVD for the city you're travelling to, they aren't much use their either. A $2k upgrade in a $30k car is easier to justify than a $2k upgrade in a $15k car, wouldn't you agree?

Besides, if you are upside down in a ditch, OnStar can call the paramedics, talk to you to keep you out of a coma AND tell the paramedics how many impacts your car sustained (due to multiple sensors in the vehicle.) None of that is available in anybody else's vehicle. PERIOD.

Let's stop criticizing GM for the stuff that doesn't matter (like this topic) and save it for the areas that do matter - like why does the Silverado still have a 4 spd auto?

OnStar blows Nav systems out of the water. End of story. Honda and others are scrambling to play catch up. I am quite comfortable with change: new HP laptop, Hitachi 42" plasma TV, 7.1 Yamaha surround system...3 iPod, portable XM.....GM is ahead of the curve on this one AND UNTIL YOU HAVE USED TURN BY TURN, I SUGGEST YOU BITE YOUR TONGUE.

I have used turn by turn, so think before you make assumptions. I have also used a screen-based Nav system. I prefer screen-based because I can actually see my location should I get confused in a big city with lots of strange roads that lead into each other and such. It's nice to be able to double check this sort of thing. Plus you do realize that these Nav systems have Turn-by-Turn as well so you don't need to look at the screen constantly.

Another nice feature of a true Nav system is you can ask it to display several locations of say, places to eat at once, and then pick one that is closest or is of preference or whatever. It's much easier to see this sort of thing than to be told it.

Once more, it's pathetic that you are defending this since it's not as though it would take much effort to make the system an option, when it's not, and adding the availability of a true Nav system would satisfy those of us who want such a thing and then we wouldn't have much to criticize about....you know...beyond the rear end and the interior shortcomings.

I'm not going to get into the Nav vs. OnStar debate, but will your Nav do this (see the e-mail I received below)?

Dear Mr. ...,

To help you when there's a wildfire in your area, OnStar and the American Red Cross have partnered to provide OnStar subscribers with disaster relief information and assistance.

OnStar Crisis Assist is a service that can help you before, during and after a wildfire.

Just push your red Emergency button or blue OnStar button for specially trained Crisis Assist Advisors who will work to:

• Connect you to loved ones

• Provide evacuation routes

• Pinpoint your location to help emergency responders get there more quickly

• Provide up-to-date crisis information and directions if you need food, water, medical supplies or a hospital

• Help find the appropriate shelter or hotel for you, your loved ones and even your pets

• Help you register for the Red Cross Safe and Well Web site

Through OnStar Crisis Assist, we will do our very best to help keep you out of harm's way, get the help you need, and be there when it matters most.

Click here to learn more about OnStar Crisis Assist.

Sincerely,

Your OnStar Crisis Assist Team

The two systems aren't mutually exclusive. Its not as if you can't have OnStar AND GPS navigation.

reg had the best idea, yet.

Agreed completely.

Maybe GM is giving the technology time to trickle down from Cadillac...

GM could really lead if the on star and screen NAV were integrated. You could use the NAV with or without ON star.

BMW has that. With the Convenience Plan, you push the SOS button, tell your destination to an operator, and then get directions beamed down onto the nav system (fully integrated, maps and all). The regular Safety Plan is standard for 4 years, while the Convenience Plan is $199/yr.

It works with Bluetooth, too, so you don't have to switch to Verison just to get hands-free calling.

Edited by empowah