Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buick 2006 - 2010

Tailfin61

This weeks issue has a layout of upcoming GM changes based on insider info and suppliers, now through 2010. Here's the link but I think you have to be a paying subscriber to read:

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=54222

Here's a recap:
LaX - no changes planned. replacement in 2010 with development to be done in Germany with styling from US.

Lucerne - All we've read about with base price 28K - 30K for V6. What I found interesting is that they referred to it as replacement for LeSabre, not LeSabre/PA.

Flag ship sedan - This was referred to as replacement to PA code named Roadmaster. Now that zeta is cancelled plans are up in the air. No vehicle is planned until 2010 at the earliest.

RWD Coupe/Convertible - Still uncertain. Could be zeta or other RWD option. Possibly by 2008 (could they be anymore vague?)

Rainier - 2007 is last year.

Terraza - status quo until 2008. Future model uncertain.

RDV - Freshened for 2006 with new engine, grill, and quiet tuning. Replacement for 2008 model year. New model lower and sleeker with V8 option. Name change likely to Centieme.

I think I captured everything . . .

A Rebadged SRX wiht the Centime's styling is a perfect replacemetn for both the Terraza & the Ranier.

At last... some Buick ;) future product news!

Tailfin61: Thank you so much for posting this. I wondered what the article said.

Which is the Epsilon Buick? Bob Lutz mentioned it in the Automotive News article titled "Global a Go." He said, "We will be able to build a Buick Epsilon in China, a Saab Epsilon in Korea or the United States," Lutz promises. "Once we get identical parts, we have these enormous savings in worldwide parts buying." Was he just making an example, or is it a China-only Buick?

Sixty8panther: Do you mean the Equinox rebadge that's supposed to go to Buick in model year '09?

Well, if GMC is getting the Lambda minivan then I don't mind the Terraza disappearing. Ditto with Rainier since the Envoy will be moving further upscale. I actually prefer Buick to keep the Rendezvous name on the Lambda Crossover though. It's been very successful and has continued to maintain as a premium competitor in the Crossover market.

GMTruckGuy74: Maybe by the time your friend wants to replace it, Buick will have something even better!

HarleyEarl: I would have liked to have seen a second-generation Buick Rainier, at least to see what they would have done to replace the Bravada-like styling.

I just asked because I find it hard to believe that Buick will only have 2 CARS for the next 5 years, both of which will be out this fall. With this Buick is neither improving its image (such as a Zeta Buick would or a vehicle above the Lucerne) nor capturing the sales they did with the Regal/Century LeSabre/Park Avenue crowds because they will only have 2 cars to pick from. Especially since their only other option is "truck based" models which apparently would leave us with a dying Rainier, a not-even-tried-to-be-unique Terraza (which I thought GM was getting rid of Buick and Pontiac cookie-cutter vehicles), and a replaced Rendezvous. So assuming the Terraza gets knocked out too (because it certainly wont hold any sales being such an obviously similar minivan to the rest when you can get a more unique Chrysler for the same price) there'd only be 3 vehicles for Buick? I'm skeptical Buick could survive on these- I think (more like hope) that GM and Buick are thinking fast about what else needs to come out for their product line- because they're far too short. Edited by Cananopie

Cananopie: Obviously, the Buick Lambda crossover (Centieme?) will be a very important product. And you'd think GM could fairly easily take the biggest Holden and rebadge it as Invicta, or Roadmaster if you prefer. But perhaps they need more time to sort out the Buick NA and Buick China products against the global portfolios, or the present products have to be allowed to run their course before they can fix things. (I trust that they don't want three
4-door sedans of approximately the same length, etc.) Of course, a Riviera, or Velite if you prefer, seems like another no-brainer, but what do you base it on? Hopefully not the Pontiac G6 with its convertible top problems.

moltar: Unless somebody knows something they're not yet revealing, two Buick cars may be it - for a number of years. Evidently we have to adjust the way we view Buick. In 2004, wasn't it considered a "full line"? So now, with the B-P-G channel, we know it is (or is heading toward) being one "portion" of a full line with Pontiac and GMC. So our old yardstick for measuring products can't continue to be used. Add Buick's two cars to however many Pontiac will have and that will be the total we should hold against previous years. Besides, as you know, the Century and Regal were too similar, as were the LeSabre and Park Avenue. So, under the present financial climate, if GM gives Buick at a minimum 4 or 5 great and really distinctive products, that's plenty.

I just remember reading in one of the periodicals that the Lax was phasing out the 3800 during 2007 and using the 3900 V6 along with the Grand Prix. Also they said the Ranier was done after 2006 and the Terraza was being phased out after 2007. The Rendevous is slated for Lamda and some sort of rear drive full size patterened from the upcoming Aussie full size is due by 2008. Sounds like Buick killed one too many cars off at one time. Why they couldn't keep the Park Ave for one more year until the Lucerne gears up is weird. Even more odd is why they find it necessary to rename there entire car lineup. They even used up 2 names for one car in the case of the LaCrosse\Allure when Regal would have been just fine since the Lax is just a warmed over version of that same car. If I was to asked for a better 2007 Buick lineup it would look like this: 1)A return of a lower priced W-body with the old Century name and just the basics like a 211hp 3500 only engine, no std power seat, no side air bags and a bench seat for around $19995. Limit options to a package with power seat, ABS, side air bags, remote start and a trip computer and a few stand alone ones like alloy wheels and a telescoping wheel so price doesn't go above 24k or so. 2) LaCrosse with std 3900 V6. Upper CXS model uses a 255 hp version of the 3.6. Restyle the front end to look less like a Hyundai. Darked the seat colors as they get dirty real quick and somehow squease an extra inch or so of rear legroom. Introduce 6 speed automatic on the top CXS model. 3) Ditch the gruff lower output 3800 on the Lucerne and give it a 3.6 std. Start off base prices right in line with the Avalon. Pair the upper CXS model with 6 speed auto trans. Have a base model with cloth seats and a lower price. 4) Bring out a full sized rear drive Buick with a 5.7 liter V8 ASAP! Don't care if it's Aussie based or not just give it Buick styling and quality interior. Keep price in line with 300C and hp levels that exceed it. 5) Redo the Rendevous on upcoming Lamda platform and give it 3500 211hp V6 and 255 hp 3.6 DOHC. 6) Drop Ranier, it's just not needed with all the other T360's out there. 7) Keep Terazza and give it 3900 as the only mill. Pair it to 4 speed auto as std and make the top model with the 6 speed auto and better gears for more satisfying power. Put glove box light in and make dash door less cheap feeling. Also ditch those horrid seat inserts on the base model and give it traditional cloth material. 8) Bring back the Riviera coupe with exciting new styling and a V8 and quiet tuning. Utilise the Same rear drive chassis as the full sized sedan. Price in the low 30K range. I know some of this is a pipe dream but it would go a long way in fleshing out Buicks current weak lineup.

Got my hard copy of Automotive News in the mail yesterday and, even thought it is the same as the online article I recapped, actually seeing how sketchy and uncertain the Buick product plan appears to be is a little disheartening. There is a chart listing, by model year, all the changes for each division and Buick has only two items on the chart, only two; Lucerne 2006 and RDV redesign 2008. That's it! I hope they know what they're doing. Starve Buick for product, or keep product well past it's prime, and then close the division for lack of sales, then who's the idiot? Also, to pick up on another topic mentioned here, I don't mind Buick having a minivan. As long as it's somewhat distinctive from the other brands and suitably upscale with Buick style, it would be a great alternative to high end Chryslers, Toyotas, and Hondas. Actual YTD sales, the Terraza has outsold the Montana SV6 and the Relay. Maybe that's why GM is unsure about whether or not there will be a Terraza after 2008, depending on sales.

Wildcat- I understand that because of the Buick/Pontiac/GMC that Buick is planning on scaling down, but from what I understood from it was this-- apparently GM decided at some point a few years ago they are going to give Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Cadillac, Chevy, the works all full lineups... this included the ideas of the Terraza, Rainier, G6, Torrent, etc... Buick was getting 3 BILLION dollars to make this happen... The Park Avenue, LeSabre, Century, and Regal was NOT the full lineup they had in mind, they had at least 3 cars in mind and 3 "trucks" and they definitely hinted at a 4th car for a while. Now to cut that in half is extremely disturbing- 2 cars and 1 "truck"? Is that even a car company anymore? And the reason they were consolidating the dealerships I thought were because Pontiac and Buick were going to have lower volume, but more unique vehicles... No offense to Pontiac OR Buick but the Torrent isn't unique, the LaCrosse isn't very unique, the G6 isn't very unique, and the Lucerne is not that special- not special enough to support 1/3 of Buick at least. The Solstice IS unique and new and fresh and is something worth making Pontiac smaller because it's a new kind of car that screams Pontiac (even though Saturn had to butt its head in there and take the platform) but the vehicles are different enough to give each a unique look. The Lucerne and the LaCrosse are still badge-engineered vehicles. If anyone thinks that Buick could be supported off of 2 badge-engineered cars for at LEAST 5 years (probably 7 again which is Buick's usual rotation) and a redesigned Rendezvous I'm very scared for Buick. Buick needs at LEAST 4 vehicles. And something lame like the Terraza or an aging Ranier won't do it in a couple years. I think Buick has plans for at least 1 vehicle we here at C&G just don't know about. Buick has never been on the high priority list for spys to find out what they're doing- in fact we didn't even know what the Lucerne looked like until a night or 2 before it was unvieled. I give Buick a little more credit than 3 vehicles. I hope so at least. And thanks Harley, I thought it was a neat idea but I think I might make a different one, I'm not warming up to it so well.

I just remember reading in one of the periodicals that the Lax was phasing out the 3800 during 2007 and using the 3900 V6 along with the Grand Prix. Also they said the Ranier was done after 2006 and the Terraza was being phased out after 2007. The Rendevous is slated for Lamda and some sort of rear drive full size patterened from the upcoming Aussie full size is due by 2008. Sounds like Buick killed one too many cars off at one time. Why they couldn't keep the Park Ave for one more year until the Lucerne gears up is weird. Even more odd is why they find it necessary to rename there entire car lineup. They even used up 2 names for one car in the case of the LaCrosse\Allure when Regal would have been just fine since the Lax is just a warmed over version of that same car. If I was to asked for a better 2007 Buick lineup it would look like this:

1)A return of a lower priced W-body with the old Century name and just the basics like a 211hp 3500 only engine, no std power seat, no side air bags and a bench seat for around $19995. Limit options to a package with power seat, ABS, side air bags, remote start and a trip computer and a few stand alone ones like alloy wheels and a telescoping wheel so price doesn't go above 24k or so.

2) LaCrosse with std 3900 V6. Upper CXS model uses a 255 hp version of the 3.6. Restyle the front end to look less like a Hyundai. Darked the seat colors as they get dirty real quick and somehow squease an extra inch or so of rear legroom. Introduce 6 speed automatic on the top CXS model.

3) Ditch the gruff lower output 3800 on the Lucerne and give it a 3.6 std. Start off base prices right in line with the Avalon. Pair the upper CXS model with 6 speed auto trans. Have a base model with cloth seats and a lower price.

4) Bring out a full sized rear drive Buick with a 5.7 liter V8 ASAP! Don't care if it's Aussie based or not just give it Buick styling and quality interior. Keep price in line with 300C and hp levels that exceed it.

5) Redo the Rendevous on upcoming Lamda platform and give it 3500 211hp V6 and 255 hp 3.6 DOHC.

6) Drop Ranier, it's just not needed with all the other T360's out there.

7) Keep Terazza and give it 3900 as the only mill. Pair it to 4 speed auto as std and make the top model with the 6 speed auto and better gears for more satisfying power. Put glove box light in and make dash door less cheap feeling. Also ditch those horrid seat inserts on the base model and give it traditional cloth material.

8) Bring back the Riviera coupe with exciting new styling and a V8 and quiet tuning. Utilise the Same rear drive chassis as the full sized sedan. Price in the low 30K range.

I know some of this is a pipe dream but it would go a long way in fleshing out Buicks current weak lineup.

[post="2613"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I like your lineup-a lot. I'd ditch all the High Value engines however-they should never have even been produced to begin with. I think however Buick needs to go upscale-so it can rival Volkswagen and maybe a few luxury cars, but lower priced and with better appointments, and more passenger and cargo room. So therefore, I would make the 3.6-liter DOHC High Feature 255hp V-6 engine and 5-speed OD electronic automatic transmission for Century S/R (aka LaCrosse CXS), all Rendezvous', and Terraza's. Remember, the Lambda may have the 4.6-liter DOHC 275hp Northstar V-8 optional. ABS, side airbags, every other possible safety feature we know now needs to become standard ASAP on every single Buick trim level and model!!! If a Hyundai Sonata or Kia has all this safety equipment standard, there is no excusea premium near-luxury brand such as Buick to make these optional, or worse, unavailable on certain models. And maybe excepting Century CX (aka LaCrosse CX), make aluminum wheels standard on all models. I agree with the nasty fake cloth and vinyl seats on Terazza CX-an absolute disgrace-more so than on similar Relay 2, Uplander Base/LS, and Montana SV6 1SA.

If you guys haven't seen it, this is the Buick being made by Holden for the
China market.
They got this, and we got the LaCrosse!
I'm not showing it, but I have the pic showing dual DVD viewers in the back of the
front seat headrests! Oh those poor Chinese...............

:( Posted Image

Don't believe me?
Check this out!

Posted Image

See, I told ya............

Posted Image

Buick needs at LEAST 4 vehicles. And something lame like the Terraza or an aging Ranier won't do it in a couple years. I think Buick has plans for at least 1 vehicle we here at C&G just don't know about. Buick has never been on the high priority list for spys to find out what they're doing- in fact we didn't even know what the Lucerne looked like until a night or 2 before it was unvieled. I give Buick a little more credit than 3 vehicles. I hope so at least.

[post="3744"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Cananopie, I totally agree with your statement. Buick needs more. For a while now I've been feeling that Buick is hiding something from us--and I'm hoping that's the case. I just have been sitting on this hope, thinking that there will be some phenominal sedan that will blow us away, make the Lucerne look like a joke in comparison, and show all the glory that Buick once was, and should be again.

I'm talking flagship here. I'm talking RWD, 6-speed auto, silent, loaded with features--and no copping out w/ things like 1 auto window down, or cloth base or manual climate control base, etc. Power, 300-350hp. Style. Flair. Room--more room--larger, FULL-SIZE sedan, huge trunk that could hold a Focus in.

Navigation. DVD entertainment available. Massaging rear seats. Heated/cooled cupholders. LED taillamps. Heated steering wheel. Rear auto climate controls. Surround sound. Woods/textures that totally blow peoples' minds. Leather that feels like butter to the touch. You get my point. Just bring it on!

Buick will have at least four models that we know about: Lucerne, LaCrosse, Lambda X-Over and Theta X-Over. A RWD car would make five.

[post="3959"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, I feel Buick should have 3 sedans. Period.

I just don't like them having choice a or choice b for sedans. It's like "do you want a car with all? Or do you want a car with practically nothing?"

I think the Lucerne would make a great extry lux car, which ranges to 40, and then they should have a luxury car that goes from 40-52K. IMHO.

I think the Lucerne would make a great extry lux car, which ranges to 40, and then they should have a luxury car that goes from 40-52K.  IMHO.

[post="3968"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm not sure Buick should got into the $50,000 mark. You can get a loaded STS V6 or a base STS V8 with a couple options for that price.

I think they should stick the 3.6 in the Lucerne, give it 270HP or so, and get rid of the Northstar (and therefore make the top price about 3-4k less). Then I would put a Sigma Lite sedan with the 3.6 from about $30-37k and make a V8 optional (maybe detuned LS2 or RWD Northstar) and make that about $37-42k. I think most people who have the choice between a $50k Buick or a $50k Cadillac would probably pick the Cadillac 9 times out of 10, but that's just me.

Where did we hear this theta news? I don't even remember an article or someone mentioning this that has inside connections. I'm pretty sure there's only 3 definites for Buick- LaCrosse, Lucerne, and Rendezvous replacement.

[post="4580"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

On the old board Hogans Heros (an insider) posted a detailed list of the future Thetas. He had Buick getting a premium Theta I believe.

I'm pretty sure there's only 3 definites for Buick- LaCrosse, Lucerne, and Rendezvous replacement.

I agree. I think that there is a good chance that GMC, not Buick or Pontiac, will get future Theta derivatives, as well as Lambda minivans. In my opinion, GMC is currently the strongest brand of the three and will sell all of the trucks (except the Buick Lambda) for B/P/G. Wildcat won't like this, but I think Buick's sedans may end up being luxurious versions of Chevrolet's larger sedans. The LaCrosse may use the Malibu's platform, and the Lucerne may end up using the Impala's platform. If the next generation Impala is FWD (Chi), then so will be the Lucerne. If the next generation Impala is RWD (Zeta/Sigma), then so will be the Lucerne.

Interestingly, the Automotive News article also addressed a next generation Grand Prix on either a new RWD platform or the Chi platform.

ehaase: You may be right. But isn't that what Buick has been in recent memory? I just don't want them to eliminate it altogether, or to just give it all four-door sedans. Boring. I want something with utility, and suspect the Lambda crossover will be too big.

Well, according to this article, GM will have 14 crossovers by 2009. Currently GM only has the Torrent, HHR, SRX, Rendezvous, Equinox, and Vue, so that leaves 8 more to come; three of those are Lambdas, so that leaves 5 more.

If I remember correctly (for some reason I can't find the thread on Google cached pages), Hogans Heros said that GMC would get a sub-Theta, as would Chevy and Saturn (to slot below Equinox and VUE), and that Cadillac would get the BRX and Buick a smaller-than-Lambda crossover. That makes 14, but by this time the Torrent will have come and gone, leaving 13. I believe the 9-6X will make 14 though.

Autoweek.com (sister site to AutoNews) now has this complete article online for free.  Here's the link:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103041

[post="7471"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think this article is fairly fair and accurate for Buick (just by scanning it quick) it says how the only definites are of course the Lucerne LaCrosse and Rendezvous replacement. They speculate on a flagship Buick but admit there is no evidence. I think they know about as much as we know and reported it fairly.

I'm not sure Buick should got into the $50,000 mark. You can get a loaded STS V6 or a base STS V8 with a couple options for that price.

I think they should stick the 3.6 in the Lucerne, give it 270HP or so, and get rid of the Northstar (and therefore make the top price about 3-4k less). Then I would put a Sigma Lite sedan with the 3.6 from about $30-37k and make a V8 optional (maybe detuned LS2 or RWD Northstar) and make that about $37-42k. I think most people who have the choice between a $50k Buick or a $50k Cadillac would probably pick the Cadillac 9 times out of 10, but that's just me.

Well, the only reason I would think there would be some overlapping in prices, is because first, Cadillac is SO different--the look is much edgier, whereas Buick is more conservative. Secondly, Cadillac I believe wants to take their brand up a few notches in luxury, no? So, I would imagine their prices would go up.

• 1 month later...

I agree. I think that there is a good chance that GMC, not Buick or Pontiac, will get future Theta derivatives, as well as Lambda minivans. In my opinion, GMC is currently the strongest brand of the three and will sell all of the trucks (except the Buick Lambda) for B/P/G. Wildcat won't like this, but I think Buick's sedans may end up being luxurious versions of Chevrolet's larger sedans. The LaCrosse may use the Malibu's platform, and the Lucerne may end up using the Impala's platform. If the next generation Impala is FWD (Chi), then so will be the Lucerne. If the next generation Impala is RWD (Zeta/Sigma), then so will be the Lucerne.

Interestingly, the Automotive News article also addressed a next generation Grand Prix on either a new RWD platform or the Chi platform.

ehaase, having the trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans badged as "GMC" makes the most sense because GMC sells trucks (or truck-like vehicles) and it has the best image of all 3 nampleates within PBG. A GMC grill on the vans would look 100% better than what they've done with the Terraza. Expanding GMC will make $$$ for GM. And, I agree, Buick selling more luxurious Chevys is the right and probably only choice GM has right now. What's wrong with that? It's what GM has been doing for 50 years anyway to one degree or another. LaCrosse should move to the next Epsilon (good riddance to the excellent W with its lousy back seat) and Impala should share "G" (or Chi or whatever they're going to call it) with Lucerne and DTS. The difference (as it always has) lies with 3 things for Buick: styling, quiet, comfort.

I have no problem with the Buicks being upscale versions of Chevrolets, as long as the differentiation is in place. I think Buick should have a 5-vehicle model. One minivan/crossover, and four cars: one midsize, one large FWD, one large RWD and a coupe/halo derivative based on the RWD platform.