2008 Dodge Challenger Revealed!

Flybrian

First Glimpse: 2008 Dodge Challenger
Link to Original Post @ Ontario Street Car
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

The wheels and grille have been altered from the concept. An inch has been added to the rear bumper to meet federal standards. Yes, Virginia, it does have a B-pillar.

The Challenger debuts in March as a 2008 model with a limited production run. Only 5500 will be built for the first year, all SRT-8s with six-speed automatics.

2009 model year production begins in July, 2008 with a full range of engines - 3.5l V6, 5.7l, and 6.1l Hemi V8s - and a choice of the aforementioned 6-speed automatic or 6-speed T-56 manual.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome...looks almost identical to the concept besides the aforementioned changes...which don't bother me at all. The idea of a limited first year run sounds cool...my only problem is that they should all be 6 speed manuals.

Oh well, the G8 doesn't have manual availability it's first year either, so it's not like it's unheard of.

Edited by Dodgefan

The idea of a limited first year run sounds cool...my only problem is that they should all be 6 speed manuals.

Totally disagree. Remember, the majority of early-adopters probably don't care if its a stick or not, they just want a bad-ass car. Plus, some of these will be auctioned and still not everyone wants a manual.

'it's not a true hardtop'

i don't care for the proportioning. it has big overhangs, is top heavy, and has no flow. camaro is better.

I'm sorry but are you blind or just stupid? The front overhang is small, the rear is larger as is typical of a RWD car. You have no idea if it's "top heavy" considering you don't even know the specs of the car. It has plenty of "flow" to the design...but I don't expect you to understand...you bought an Aztek and even defend the way it looks! It's not a crappy Explorer...it won't tip over...it has a low center of gravity. Seriously...say something intelligent instead of spewing crap out every time you see a Chrysler product...or simply say nothing.

Enough of that rant.

reg- you are THE definition of a troll.

Will your drivel ever end....

:deadhorse:

The $38,000 pricetag for an SRT8 version is pretty darned good IMO. The first 5500 will be 425 horsepower and 6 speed automatics. Everybody in this thread who owns a stock vehicle from a manufacturer other than Chrysler that can top the upcoming Challenger's 6 speed automatic "lame" performance, raise your hands......

*listens to pin drop*

Yeah, that's what I thought....

:pokeowned:

The car came out much better than I thought. It looks better than I thought it would after "real world" madifications were done to the prototype.

Wait until the Camaro prototype goes through the "real world" modifications, the B pillar is just the start, trust me...

:AH-HA_wink:

I think if the base models have an AFFORDABLE price tag the Challenger will do well. If it's priced the way it looks like it will be- with the SRT8 version going for $38,000ish, this car will be everywhere.... should be a success IMO.

history repeats itself over decades and decades, the chrysler is always bringing up the rear.

Yeah, 1st domestic car line with an optional 1 horsepower per cubic inch- 1956 Chrysler 300.

1st domestic car line with a standard 1 horsepower per cubic inch- 1957 DeSoto Adventurer.

Desoto and Chrysler also available with fuel injection in 1957.

Hydraulic brakes, "no wood" interiors, ABS brakes, all sorts of things.

Ford and GM both used Chrysler based engines in their funny cars. To stay COMPETITIVE.

Chrysler 300/ Max Wedge Mopars both big HP cars with suspension to match both brought out BEFORE the GTO.

Barracuda pony car brought out BEFORE the Mustang.

Etc etc etc

Some of the older MoPar stuff may not be as mainstream or as popular as some of the Chevs and Fords, but follow they didn't, that's for sure.

Take a look at the new for 1958 Chevy fll size, and how the platform was scrapped after ONE year to get the 1959 Chevys down low, like the 1957 MoPars that came out.

History. It's only a ton of reasearch reading away for you reg......

I don't trash talk GM and Ford, becuase I don't HAVVVE to.

You own an Aztec, so I understand....

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ABS? What? GM popularized that back in the early-90s. Hell, Chrysler didn't have brake-shift interlock until a handful of years ago on some models.

Its neither here nor there, but man...

Anyway, Chrysler may have lead at times, but there is a serious stick-to-ittiveness problem over in Auburn Hills. It seems rare that Chrysler follows up a significant model with continued improvement and, sadly, it shows. They left the fullsize market in 1981 ('78 if you care about good fullsizers), the luxury market in the 70s, and haven't returned to either yet. I have no doubt the Challenger will sell out - artificially production ceilings and its begging-for-a-Stars-and-Bars styling guarantees that - but what's next? There is zero long-term strategy at Chrysler these days and it shows.

Chrysler, Ford and GM are responsible for their own sets of innovations and firsts.

Chrysler beats to it's own tune..hence why the RWD LX cars debuted during a time when everyone else had FWD. Their designs were unique and head turning and weren't and still aren't mistaken for anything else. The 2nd gen Ram broke the mold in the otherwise boring pickup segment (in terms of design).

Chrysler hardly brings up the rear.

Ok but how successful was Chrysler then, and how are they now, if you ask me, I'd say development is in GM and Ford's court, also, before you bring up the whole G8 not available with a manual in the first year, um the Chargers been out for how long and without a what, some muscle car.

I think people are still a little bit wishy-washy on the transmission deal. To elaborate and clarify, I wouldn't consider 2008 a real first-year for the Challenger people want. Look at it as a members-only presale for the fools willing to pay $5-10k over sticker just to have it first. With its limited powertrain selection and potential early build issues, its the automotive equal to waiting in line to get the first iPhone...or buying a Prowler.

Look at 2009 as the true first year for the Challanger - three engine choices, two transmission options, probably countless little but meaningful improvements in option packages, trimout, and feature content, plus a larger number produced means less reason for FYDR (First Year Dealer Raping).

Is it the same 6-speed that's in the Viper?

I'm not sure what's in the Viper, but I'm going to guess it's not exactly the same, the Viper's has to be much beefier I would assume. The T56 is/was used in lots of GM applications (CTS-V, GTO, Corvette, SSR, Camaro, Firebird). Basically all LS1s and LS2s were paired to the T56. Magazines don't seem to like the transmission much and always complain about long throws and rubbery feel.

ABS? What? GM popularized that back in the early-90s. Hell, Chrysler didn't have brake-shift interlock until a handful of years ago on some models.

Its neither here nor there, but man...

LOL

Not even close.

Have a google dig for 1971 Imperials. I owned one.

You'll have to trust me on it..? :AH-HA_wink: LOL

LOL

Not even close.

Have a google dig for 1971 Imperials. I owned one.

You'll have to trust me on it..? :AH-HA_wink: LOL

I'm not saying Chrysler didn't have ABS back then, but they sure didn't include it on many models until rather recently. Better than the Asians though.

Here guys.....

Most important of these, and the only one we asked for on a "must" basis, was the Bendix Corp. 4-wheel anti-skid system, which costs a tidy $344 extra and, we feel, is worth every dime of that sum. Chrysler calls the Bendix system "Sure-Brake." We tested it at the firm's proving grounds at Chelsea, Mich. in June of 1970, prior to introduction for the first time anywhere as an option only on the '71 Imperial.

From

http://imperialclub.com/Articles/72Elegant/index.htm

>>"Desoto and Chrysler also available with fuel injection in 1957."<<

1958. Plymouth offered it, too.

>>"Ford and GM both used Chrysler based engines in their funny cars. To stay COMPETITIVE."<<

GM never built any funny cars, pretty sure Ford didn't either. Don't forget; GM was "out" of racing come Jan '63 {wink!}. ChryCo probably did in '64-65, tho. The few guys who used MoPar powered GMs had plenty of competition from those using proprietory GM power, too, ESP pre-426 Hemi.

>>"Chrysler 300/ Max Wedge Mopars both big HP cars with suspension to match both brought out BEFORE the GTO."<<

I give full props for the 300/Adventurer/D500/Fury, but GM had other 'big HP cars with suspension' before the GTO (not, tho, before the ChryCo super cars). SD Pontiacs, to name one.

>>"Desoto and Chrysler also available with fuel injection in 1957."<<

1958. Plymouth offered it, too.

1957 build date, 1958 car model, you are correct. White's DeSoto Adventurer is an all original EFI car running the original Electrojector setup.

Many guys don't realize the MoPar fuel injection was ELECTRICAL fuel injection, not mechanical like the Corvette's of the 50's.

>>"Ford and GM both used Chrysler based engines in their funny cars. To stay COMPETITIVE."<<

GM never built any funny cars, pretty sure Ford didn't either. Don't forget; GM was "out" of racing come Jan '63 {wink!}. ChryCo probably did in '64-65, tho. The few guys who used MoPar powered GMs had plenty of competition from those using proprietory GM power, too, ESP pre-426 Hemi.

Well, NO funny car was a factory produced car.

The funny cars with Ford and GM bodies used Chrysler based 426 Hemis after they came out. Even Jungle Jim Liberman, a diehard Chevy guy -who deserves alot more credit for what he did back then- switched his Chevy funny car over to Chrysler Hemi power.

Show me a late 60s to early 70's Ford or GM funny car WITHOUT a Chrysler based Hemi that was competitive....

>>"Chrysler 300/ Max Wedge Mopars both big HP cars with suspension to match both brought out BEFORE the GTO."<<

I give full props for the 300/Adventurer/D500/Fury, but GM had other 'big HP cars with suspension' before the GTO (not, tho, before the ChryCo super cars). SD Pontiacs, to name one.

I agree.

I like the Pontiac older stuff. Cool cars, 8 lug wheels still mean something to some guys....

8)

I'm not sure what's in the Viper, but I'm going to guess it's not exactly the same, the Viper's has to be much beefier I would assume. The T56 is/was used in lots of GM applications (CTS-V, GTO, Corvette, SSR, Camaro, Firebird). Basically all LS1s and LS2s were paired to the T56. Magazines don't seem to like the transmission much and always complain about long throws and rubbery feel.

I'm aware of the complaints relating to the tranny, but none of those complaints seem to crop up with the revised Viper...I know they did some work to the shifter.

The shifter for the Z06's six-speed, for example, is fine on its own, but compare it to the Viper's accurate shift linkage and it feels like it's been smoothed over by a committee meeting.

Yeah, 1st domestic car line with an optional 1 horsepower per cubic inch- 1956 Chrysler 300.

1st domestic car line with a standard 1 horsepower per cubic inch- 1957 DeSoto Adventurer.

Desoto and Chrysler also available with fuel injection in 1957.

Ford and GM both used Chrysler based engines in their funny cars. To stay COMPETITIVE.

Chrysler 300/ Max Wedge Mopars both big HP cars with suspension to match both brought out BEFORE the GTO.

Barracuda pony car brought out BEFORE the Mustang.

Etc etc etc

Some of the older MoPar stuff may not be as mainstream or as popular as some of the Chevs and Fords, but follow they didn't, that's for sure.

Take a look at the new for 1958 Chevy fll size, and how the platform was scrapped after ONE year to get the 1959 Chevys down low, like the 1957 MoPars that came out.

History. It's only a ton of reasearch reading away for you reg......

I don't trash talk GM and Ford, becuase I don't HAVVVE to.

You own an Aztec, so I understand....

This might be out before the Camaro, but the Camaro will destroy it sales and performance wise. I don't want to argue though, just wait and see :AH-HA_wink:

And I'm sure my GTO will put up similar, if not better performance numbers compared to the Challenger. The G8 GXP might be getting a 430hp LS3 too.

While applaud Chrysler for making these cars instead of trying to appeal to Avalon/Lucerne buyers, they are still only good, not great cars. Camaro/Impala/G8 are going to be great cars.

That's a great looking car, and I'd otherwise love it in orange... but I am sick of this car in that color, after seeing the concept for so long. How about a new version of the ubiquitous Chrysler avocado green that was so popular in the late 60's-early 70's, with green interior to match? That new Surf Blue would be sexy as hell on this car, also. Props to Chrysler for bringing this car to market... we need more AMERICAN cars like this... and one more thing... I am very happy to hear of the V6 and midrange V8 engine offerings coming down the line. YES!

This might be out before the Camaro, but the Camaro will destroy it sales and performance wise. I don't want to argue though, just wait and see :AH-HA_wink:

And I'm sure my GTO will put up similar, if not better performance numbers compared to the Challenger. The G8 GXP might be getting a 430hp LS3 too.

While applaud Chrysler for making these cars instead of trying to appeal to Avalon/Lucerne buyers, they are still only good, not great cars. Camaro/Impala/G8 are going to be great cars.

You can't say the Camaro will "destroy!!11!11!" it when we don't have sales expectations for teh Challenger yet. Plus neither car is out and demand for both is high...so you're basically pulling that statement out of your ass. Chrysler does build great cars (not all of them are great but the same can be said for GM and Ford). I should hope the Zetas will be great, since they've got a lot of catching up to do.

You can't say the Camaro will "destroy!!11!11!" it when we don't have sales expectations for teh Challenger yet. Plus neither car is out and demand for both is high...so you're basically pulling that statement out of your ass. Chrysler does build great cars (not all of them are great but the same can be said for GM and Ford). I should hope the Zetas will be great, since they've got a lot of catching up to do.

Did you not see my lets wait and see comment? So lets wait and see shall we?

LOL

Everybody knows the future here.... LOL :AH-HA_wink:

Why is it the Ford guys know the Mustang is best, the Dodge guys know the Challenger is the best, and GM guys know the Camaro is best?

LOL

And I'm sure my GTO will put up similar, if not better performance numbers compared to the Challenger.

Not unless you have modified your GTO.

A dead stock 400hp GTO was bested by a Chrysler 300 SRT8 4 door Sedan a few years back, not just in acceleration either... slalom, braking, you name it...

The comparison is very well known by now I thought...?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/...pecs_price.html

Camaro/Impala/G8 are going to be great cars.

Put down the crystal ball! Wait and see, like you say..?

Edited by CMG

You people complaining about the car debuting with a 6 speed auto, are completely ridiculous!! :stupid: :stupid:

They are trying to get the car out ASAP, and the manual won't be ready in time for launch. Keep in mind that the Challenger was built off of a modified LX platform, that only had autos available. Now, this car will have a 6 speed auto, which is exactly one more cog than the Mustang offers. Who knows what the Camaro will debut with. I am also willing to bet that the manual won't crack 30% of the Challenger's total sales.....with SRT-8 version seeing maybe 50% manuals.

Also, remember that the C6 Corvette debuted with a 4 speed auto, as the 6 speed auto was not yet available. It did, however, also have a manual option, as it has had for like 50 years.

LOL

Everybody knows the future here.... LOL :AH-HA_wink:

Why is it the Ford guys know the Mustang is best, the Dodge guys know the Challenger is the best, and GM guys know the Camaro is best?

LOL

Not unless you have modified your GTO.

A dead stock 400hp GTO was bested by a Chrysler 300 SRT8 4 door Sedan a few years back, not just in acceleration either... slalom, braking, you name it...

The comparison is very well known by now I thought...?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/...pecs_price.html

Put down the crystal ball! Wait and see, like you say..?

Wow, 1/10 of a second in the quarter mile? The GTO even won in the figure eight. Their numbers are so similar(which I believe I stated, did I not?), the differences are negligible, a simple thing like tire choice could sway those numbers.

I think people are still a little bit wishy-washy on the transmission deal. To elaborate and clarify, I wouldn't consider 2008 a real first-year for the Challenger people want. Look at it as a members-only presale for the fools willing to pay $5-10k over sticker just to have it first. With its limited powertrain selection and potential early build issues, its the automotive equal to waiting in line to get the first iPhone...or buying a Prowler.

Look at 2009 as the true first year for the Challanger - three engine choices, two transmission options, probably countless little but meaningful improvements in option packages, trimout, and feature content, plus a larger number produced means less reason for FYDR (First Year Dealer Raping).

they are limiting the first year sales so they don't have so many recalls and warranty fixes to deal with.

"let's get a few on the road fer sum RESEARCH"

Edited by regfootball