Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2008 Dodge Challenger Revealed!

Flybrian

they are limiting the first year sales so they don't have so many recalls and warranty fixes to deal with.

"let's get a few on the road fer sum RESEARCH"

I could reply with a post that would explain why they are limiting production, but your tiny, one-track mind would no doubt be unable to process the information. So, just keep driving your ASStek and dumpy Ford.

Edited by Dodgefan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eaxactly. stop and go, stop and go

the only continuous driving you get is on the highways

....and then with continuous highway driving, you just throw it into 5th or 6th and drive.

American, non-enthusiasts, could care less about a manual tranny. I don't think older people like them that much either....and you know a bunch of mid-life crisis-ers will be buying these.

All this complaining about having to wait 5 months for a manual tranny......from the people that hate the car! :rolleyes: Man, alot of you people would really be a drag to live with.

Posted Image

Not a big fan of this car but I will never say it is a bad looking car. My only complaint is too heavy and I don't anyone will disagree with that.

Either way it is a big jump ahead of the Mustang in styling.

I just prefer the Camaro in Size and shape a little more. The Camaro is not going to change much more than the Challanger did with a B pillar, Mirrors, Wheel size and a few dimentions that few will know changed other than to get a tape measure out.

Styling is subjective and none are better than the other it is just what you like.

The advantage the Camaro will have is weight as it will beat this car by a few 200-300 pounds. I know you can add a bigger engine to combat the weight but it still takes it's toll on handling and stopping distance.

But I know Chrysler was stuck with the LH platform on this round and we can only hope the next platform will free up some weight.

I know may cry for Manuel Trannys but so few are sold anymore. Add to that so few people know how to drive them too. I wonder how much longer it will be and they will be gone. Even Ferrari is mostly semi manuel now. Better get one while you can.

Edited by hyperv6

....and then with continuous highway driving, you just throw it into 5th or 6th and drive.

American, non-enthusiasts, could care less about a manual tranny. I don't think older people like them that much either....and you know a bunch of mid-life crisis-ers will be buying these.

All this complaining about having to wait 5 months for a manual tranny......from the people that hate the car! :rolleyes: Man, alot of you people would really be a drag to live with.

Posted Image

Go back to your hole.

And I agree with Camino, wholly. Americans are lazy bastards. It's sad that the majority can't drive a manual transmission.

Edited by blackviper8891

All this complaining about having to wait 5 months for a manual tranny......from the people that hate the car! :rolleyes:

LOL!

Nail head, meet hammer!

I have no interest in buying a Challenger, not in the least, but it sure looks like a nice looking pacvkage and at the prices suggested I bet it will sell like hotcakes.

reg- go to bed!

:duh:

How can people keep reading your drivel?

Go back to your hole.

And I agree with Camino, wholly. Americans are lazy bastards. It's sad that the majority can't drive a manual transmission.

LOL, Bruce Willis is narrow minded because he probably doesn't know how to drive a real transmission (i mean manual), so he comes out with an explanation to defend Chrysler's decision for releasing an auto-only sport's car. To me, Automatic is like riding a bike with four wheels. And as for Camino's opinion, it's not because Americans are lazy, it's because Automatic is a more popular choice than manual is. Automatic transmissions were offered since the 50's in most average family cars, and driving with it, has been passed down generation to generation. I Europe, there were no big boats like we had here in North America. Cars need to be simpler, more fuel efficient, and much smaller. It's just two different cultures adopting to two different ways of driving. BTW, automatics are gaining popularity in Asia, and in some parts of Europe, however, manual seems like a popular choice.

>>"Americans are lazy bastards. It's sad that the majority can't drive a manual transmission...."<<

or operate manual steering or manual brakes or manual windows or mechanical throttle linkage or handle a car without ABS, stability control, active suspension, laser cruise control, back-up cameras, read a map, etc, etc, etc. To me, it's hypocritical- either the driver operates these features or the car does. Tho I primarily drive automatics and prefer them, I do own an 8-speed manual.

And the above quote brings to question: are the European drivers who also prefer automatics likewise 'lazy Euro bastards'? Same for the japanese, I assume?

Or just because someone has different preferences from you doesn't mean one has to pidgeonhole that person with a derogatory label, right, vipes? :wink:

LOL, Bruce Willis is narrow minded because he probably doesn't know how to drive a real transmission (i mean manual), so he comes out with an explanation to defend Chrysler's decision for releasing an auto-only sport's car.

"SPORTS CAR"????

The Challenger is NOT a "SPORTS CAR" in my opinion, that's for sure. Dodge Viper maybe, not the Challenger.

The Challenger isn't an "auto only" car anyways. It's the first 5500 that will be automatics. Manual transmissions are to follow.

Not a "sports car".

Not "auto-only".

The Challenger, like the original, exists somewhere between a "pony car" and a "muscle car". The semantics become easily confused, but it is most definitely a performance car, and as such is the proper place for an "enthusiast-only" manual transmission.

The trouble with the all-too-common argument that only a small minority want a manual trans is that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Take a look at the numbers of late 4th gen f-bodies and 2004-2006 GTOs that were manual if you want to see what the target market really wants.

The proper transmission choices are required for a car like this.

Manual GTOs seemed to sit on lots forever, sadly even manual Solstices are left waiting 'round here. Manuals do have their place, but that place isn't going to be in any daily driver I own after the Fusion. Too much stop and go, getting caught in traffic to be constantly shifting.

Only in America, the rest of the world still knows how to drive manuals.

My new car buying days will be over when/if manuals disappear.

True that, my friend...

:yes:

Actually, as it regards performance vehicles, the US is one of the only market that still prefers automatics. The rest of the world prefers paddle shifters. There are a couple of models (though which ones are escaping me at the moment) where a manual is only available in the States - Europe gets F1 or DSG shifters.

Now, for economy cars, you're absolutely correct.

-RBB

>>"Americans are lazy bastards. It's sad that the majority can't drive a manual transmission...."<<

or operate manual steering or manual brakes or manual windows or mechanical throttle linkage or handle a car without ABS, stability control, active suspension, laser cruise control, back-up cameras, read a map, etc, etc, etc. To me, it's hypocritical- either the driver operates these features or the car does. Tho I primarily drive automatics and prefer them, I do own an 8-speed manual.

And the above quote brings to question: are the European drivers who also prefer automatics likewise 'lazy Euro bastards'? Same for the japanese, I assume?

Or just because someone has different preferences from you doesn't mean one has to pidgeonhole that person with a derogatory label, right, vipes? :wink:

Hardly derogatory. Either way, that's my opinion. If you can't drive a manual, you're lazy. I'm not talking about those who can but choose not to. And I completely agree with your first point. Who needs all that? :wink:

LOL, Bruce Willis is narrow minded because he probably doesn't know how to drive a real transmission (i mean manual), so he comes out with an explanation to defend Chrysler's decision for releasing an auto-only sport's car.

You couldn't be more wrong son. I've driven more manual equipped cars then you probably ever will. I've owned a 5 speed Dodge Dakota, and a 5 speed Eagle Talon Turbo AWD......and have driven countless manual Porsches, BMWs, Ferraris, three on the tree cars from the 40's and 50's, right hand drive British roadsters, etc. Like I said, more then you probably ever will.

As far as the Challenger, you guys are making way too big of a deal about the car not having the stick available for 5 months. The bottom line is that a six speed pistol grip stick is going to be available......something that has not been available on a full size Chrysler for like 20 years??

Here's how it will break down. The Challenger will be heavier and less agile than the Camaro and Mustang, but will be just as fast, if not faster, in a drag race......all the while being the most luxurious of the 3. It really doesn't need a stick, but will give the enthusiasts one less thing to complain about.....unless they are GM loving or Toyota humping Chrysler haters.

American aren't as "involved" in their driving as Europeans are. Americans typically have either long commutes, or bumper to bumper commutes. Then tend to spend alot of time in their cars. Not that many years ago, European cars didn't even have cup holders.

i really want my next car to be a stick because I really enjoy sticks, but most days I would be best off with an automatic.

as far as the challenger goes, i am not sure how many muscle car buyers wants sticks or if powerbraking an automatic for smoky burnouts in the parking lot is fine.

If the manual offered in this car is clunky, then they should wait until they get a decent one.

Its hard to know what Chrysler buyers want, Chryco stuff is always a bit off the mainstream.

Edited by regfootball

Here's how it will break down. The Challenger will be heavier and less agile than the Camaro and Mustang, but will be just as fast, if not faster, in a drag race......all the while being the most luxurious of the 3. It really doesn't need a stick, but will give the enthusiasts one less thing to complain about.....unless they are GM loving or Toyota humping Chrysler haters.

almost sounds like the description of a 70 stage1 buick GS :lol: ... sigh... i wish that were the case

Please do explain how a car with 425HP is faster than a car with 430 HP when the car with 430HP weighs less? Essentially they have equal power, but the Camaro will be at least a couple hundred pounds lighter. Perhaps the 6.4 will outrun the LS3 Camaro, but assuming the Camaro gets a supercharged version, well, the Challenger doesn't have much of a chance.

Also, how do you know it is going to be the most luxurious of the 3? Because some Chrysler insider (who doesn't know what the Camaro's interior will be like) said so? I wouldn't doubt that it will be more luxurious than the crappy Mustang interior, but Chrysler hasn't exactly putting out much to desire in terms of interior material quality lately. I would hope that the Challenger would be more luxurious than the other two, seeing as how it is going to cost a lot more.

You couldn't be more wrong son. I've driven more manual equipped cars then you probably ever will. I've owned a 5 speed Dodge Dakota, and a 5 speed Eagle Talon Turbo AWD......and have driven countless manual Porsches, BMWs, Ferraris, three on the tree cars from the 40's and 50's, right hand drive British roadsters, etc. Like I said, more then you probably ever will.

As far as the Challenger, you guys are making way too big of a deal about the car not having the stick available for 5 months. The bottom line is that a six speed pistol grip stick is going to be available......something that has not been available on a full size Chrysler for like 20 years??

American aren't as "involved" in their driving as Europeans are. Americans typically have either long commutes, or bumper to bumper commutes. Then tend to spend alot of time in their cars. Not that many years ago, European cars didn't even have cup holders.

I apologize for that comment to you. I said that out of sarcasm because you made it sound like a guy who never drove stick, and tried to justify that "Oh, noone drives stick anyways" type of excuse if you know what I mean. I had an argument with someone who claimed he was a car guy, and tried to argue that driving automatic is better and faster than stick, meanwhile this guy never drove stick in his life. There is a saying, once you go manual you never go back. I wish we had a market like in Europe in terms of cars having a manual option, eventhough only like 5% of the population buy stick, it is much different here in Canada, at least in French-Canada. I was told that if you wanna find a rare 5 speed car, go shopping in Quebec for one. I'm 24 years old, and I've owned five cars already, and all of them have been manual. It's funny because, I'm the kind of guy that can't drive anything else, if I drive auto, then I'm searching for the clutch out of instinct half the time, lol. I dunno, I think when I set up a family, I will custom order a minivan with manual, if it can be done :P

Edited by Polish_Kris

The Camaro is WAY better looking, albeit also B-pillared. For $%^ shame. <_<

automatic muscle car... lame.

Agreed, but who cares about the first model year anyway... the only people to buy

tyhem will be stupid yuppies with fat checkbooks who pay $12,000 over STICKER. :rolleyes:

Please do explain how a car with 425HP is faster than a car with 430 HP when the car with 430HP weighs less? Essentially they have equal power, but the Camaro will be at least a couple hundred pounds lighter. Perhaps the 6.4 will outrun the LS3 Camaro, but assuming the Camaro gets a supercharged version, well, the Challenger doesn't have much of a chance.

Also, how do you know it is going to be the most luxurious of the 3? Because some Chrysler insider (who doesn't know what the Camaro's interior will be like) said so? I wouldn't doubt that it will be more luxurious than the crappy Mustang interior, but Chrysler hasn't exactly putting out much to desire in terms of interior material quality lately. I would hope that the Challenger would be more luxurious than the other two, seeing as how it is going to cost a lot more.

The next gen SRT-8's are supposed to have 500 HP. I don't know if the Challenger SRT-8 will debut with that, but at some point, in the very near future, the Challenger will have that engine. I don't see the Camaro ever getting a supercharged V8, and costing less then 50K......which would put it too close to Vette territory in price, and power....which won't happen.

Luxurious does not only mean interior, it also means ride and suspension......which like I said, for the Challenger, will probably be a bit softer....ie more luxurious. The Challenger will most likely have more interior space, which could be considered more luxurious.

Like it was said by another poster. Chrysler likes to ride the line between segments. The Challenger will ride the line between pony car and muscle car. The Camaro will probably more of a true pony car in terms of size and handling.

Edited by BrewSwillis

LOL

Everybody knows the future here.... LOL :AH-HA_wink:

Why is it the Ford guys know the Mustang is best, the Dodge guys know the Challenger is the best, and GM guys know the Camaro is best?

LOL

Not unless you have modified your GTO.

A dead stock 400hp GTO was bested by a Chrysler 300 SRT8 4 door Sedan a few years back, not just in acceleration either... slalom, braking, you name it...

The comparison is very well known by now I thought...?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/...pecs_price.html

Put down the crystal ball! Wait and see, like you say..?

:AH-HA_wink:

Oh yeah? My F-15 Eagle will beat all of ya'all :pokeowned:

Ok a serious question... what would happen if i took a torch to the car and took off the b pillars and put a rubber seal on the window edges to make up for the gap? would it really mess with the structure that much? and i dont mean just chop them off. actually do some real welding work. any thoughts?

Ok a serious question... what would happen if i took a torch to the car and took off the b pillars and put a rubber seal on the window edges to make up for the gap? would it really mess with the structure that much? and i dont mean just chop them off. actually do some real welding work. any thoughts?

but what about rear windows rolling down? whats the point of no b pillar if the quarter windows dont retract? :hissyfit:

You would lose structural integrity. The car wouldn't have the same rigidity and torsional stability etc. They do put the B pillars in for a reason.

We used to put convertible frames in the 1969 Chevelles we used to run, they were a boxed frame. We were street racing, nothing showed and it all looked stock underneath, but gave us a little more strength than a c channel stock frame.

Maybe a kit could be made to strengthen the substructure and remove the B pillars, I'm not sure how much room is available in the 1/4 panel pockets and under the car......

but what about rear windows rolling down? whats the point of no b pillar if the quarter windows dont retract? :hissyfit:

Window mechanisms can be made prettttty compact nowadays, if there was room it should be a no-brainer, the windows SHOULD be made to roll down if it's a hardtop people are going for. IMO anyways.

poor mustang is left in the dust....droopy eyed hunk of metal.

Hardly, The new Body comes out in 09 as well. How many sold since 2005? How long will it take for Chev or Dodge to sell that many. Prtobably never will. The Dodge is by far the better looking of the two ( Camaro, Challenger )