Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

No Manual-Transmission Pontiac G8 for 2008 ?

Link

No Manual-Transmission Pontiac G8 for 2008

Date posted: 10-17-2007

DETROIT — Want the scorching V8-powered Pontiac G8 GT sedan coming in the first quarter next year? GM's performance division already will let you spec out the 361-horsepower G8 just the way you'd like.

As long as you want an automatic transmission, that is.

Yep, you read that right: The G8's probably the best thing to happen to Pontiac since John DeLorean bent the rules to make the GTO, but the first models shipped to these shores from Australia will have just two pedals, like it or leave it.

Early adopters, it appears, will have to be satisfied with slushboxes — six-speeders with GM's Drive Shift Control manual-shift function, at least. But if you can hold off, we're betting a manual transmission for the G8 GT will be along later in 2008, but perhaps not until the '09 model year.

Right now, Pontiac's G8 site says the automatic is the "standard" and only transmission offered for the G8 GT. And a Pontiac spokesperson tells Inside Line, "What we've said — and which is still the case — is that the six-speed manual won't be available at launch."

So Pontiac will not mention a manual option for the V8-powered variant of the G8 rear-drive sport sedan. Further complicating the issue, press information disseminated earlier this fall by GM's Powertrain Division clearly indicates the '08 G8 GT can be fitted with a combination of the 6.0-liter V8 and a six-speed manual transmission — effectively the Corvette combo until the 'Vette got a standard 6.2-liter V8 for '08.

But a powertrain spokesman says that information is a mistake, flatly adding, "There is no manual option for 2008."

Self-shifters thinking they might get a manual gearbox with the base-model G8 and its 256-hp, 3.6-liter dual-cam V6 also are out of luck. The only available transmission is GM's 6T70 six-speed automatic — despite the fact that the same engine (with direct-injection fueling) already is teamed with a six-speed manual transmission for the Cadillac CTS.

What this means to you: It's unfortunate, perhaps, that true believers will have to wait for what many will insist is the ultimate G8. But we'll gamble GM plans to bring it here sooner than later.

I think that only 20% of buyers would opt for it, so from a sales standpoint I don't think its that big of a deal, but I am in that 20% minority who would want the standard shift. I guess I will be waiting for the manual to come out, or a GXP. Can't decide now.

I think that only 20% of buyers would opt for it, so from a sales standpoint I don't think its that big of a deal, but I am in that 20% minority who would want the standard shift. I guess I will be waiting for the manual to come out, or a GXP. Can't decide now.

The more important standpoint is image, which I think is a very big deal. A manual on this car is more important than the sales figures or marketing data would lead you to believe.

This is why I have a love/hate ralationship with GM.

Stupid, stupid, STUPID!!!

I believe GM has decided that the current Tremec T56 is too crude and dated, and with a new, superior transmission imminent would rather wait until they can offer that.

That would be understandable and a good move for the long term. Hope that's the thinking.

True, from a business standpoint the automatics are the ones that matter. But, like you, I'm one of the 20%. And I have to say that even though there are a number of upcoming cars that I "want" to buy, the manual G8 will be a car that I may actually put the money up for. Edited by Windy-57

There is going to come a point where the auto manufacturers realize that they have to offer a manual simply to keep the auto rags happy. Even if they only make 5 of them and put them in press cars, the good press would be enough to generate sales of even the automatics.

That would be understandable and a good move for the long term. Hope that's the thinking.

True, from a business standpoint the automatics are the ones that matter. But, like you, I'm one of the 20%. And I have to say that even though there are a number of upcoming cars that I "want" to buy, the manual G8 will be a car that I may actually put the money up for.

Yup, same here. Why cannot GM make a manual tranny for decent cars? 20% here, 5% there, 1% somewhere else, those are customers, who are not satisfied, and possibly GM may lose them. Come on GM, come up with a better strategy, look long term. I think you can make more profits from the people buying manuals, because you can make a case that GM will have to build it for them as they are not readily available on the lot, which means the customer cannot bargain and thus get better deal for the vehicle.

Usually people who buy BMW, Acura manuals wait for 2-3 weeks for getting their vehicles, and they are harder to bargain. Don't lose that customer base.

I say again, Tick Tock, Tick Tock! :smilewide:

I thought you wanted the custom-S.

I believe GM has decided that the current Tremec T56 is too crude and dated, and with a new, superior transmission imminent would rather wait until they can offer that.

The Nov Motor Trend article said the G8 GT would use a Tremec 6060 6-speed manual paired with the Gen-IV 6.0 liter. Is that the "improved" model?

From Wikipedia (TR-6060):

The gear ratios on the 2008 Pontiac G8 GT:

1st: 3.01

2nd: 2.07

3rd: 1.43

4th: 1.00

5th: 0.84

6th: 0.57

Applications:

* 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 (remote mount shifter with dual braces and single linkage)

* 2008 Chevrolet Corvette

* 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10

* 2008 Dodge Challenger

* 2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Edited by BigPontiac

The Nov Motor Trend article said the G8 GT would use a Tremec 6060 6-speed manual paired with the Gen-IV 6.0 liter. Is that the "improved" model?

From Wikipedia (TR-6060):

The gear ratios on the 2008 Pontiac G8 GT:

1st: 3.01

2nd: 2.07

3rd: 1.43

4th: 1.00

5th: 0.84

6th: 0.57

Applications:

* 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 (remote mount shifter with dual braces and single linkage)

* 2008 Chevrolet Corvette

* 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10

* 2008 Dodge Challenger

* 2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Umm wow, slightly higher 1st thru third gears. Still much lower than the BMW uses in 550i, may because, it is not a high spinning V-8. It seems like 6th they made it ultra low to get the highway MPG up.

Found this from a GT500 review:

So you might be wondering exactly how a Tremec TR-6060 compares with the T56 you know and love. In short, it’s better in just about every way. It can handle more torque thanks to a move from a 10-spline input shaft to a 26-spline unit. Moreover, the new case is stronger, the countershafts are one-piece units, and the gear faces are wider. All these changes add up to much greater strength, which we’ll all appreciate after we start modding these cars. What we noticed while driving the car, however, was its easy, precise shifting despite the factory shifter.

The prime movers in the better shifting are increased synchronizers on all the gears. Where the Terminator T56 had only two synchros on the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts and single synchros on the remaining gears, the TR-6060 offers triple synchros on the 1-2 and 3-4, and dual synchros on all remaining gears, including Reverse. Plus, the synchronizers have been upgraded from a carbon-particle paper to a sintered-bronze material.

Gt500 Transmission Gears

A larger input shaft, beefier gears, more synchronizers, closer gear ratios, and more make this six-speed one that should become a popular aftermarket upgrade.

So this transmission shifts easier, but it also offers a shorter shift throw. “The synchronizer hubs are much narrower, reducing fore and aft shift travel,” Tremec’s Jim Averill explained. “Additionally, the hub system uses three encapsulated ball-and-coil-spring struts that are much more precise than the old-style hoop-and-stamped strut. This also adds to a smoother fore, aft shift.”

So the TR-6060 is smoother, stronger, and just better than its predecessors. That’s cool, but the better news for those who aren’t buying GT 500s is that Tremec will be rolling a lot of this technology into its aftermarket transmissions, so you’ll be able to put all the good stuff in your Mustang soon.

link

Gee the sun came up today and by the end of the model year the G8 will be sold out. The 2009 will have a manual to make happy the minority of those who that will buy it and life goes on.

Ok now that this disaster has been averted lets move on to the next problem.

Ok, How many here already don't think the new Alpha platform is not Pontiac enough? :banghead:

Ok now that this disaster has been averted lets move on to the next problem.

Ok, How many here already don't think the new Alpha platform is not Pontiac enough? :banghead:

I prefer the "Holden look" to the "Pontiac look" for the Monaro/GTO, (Yeah, I'm weird) but I'm not sure about what you mean with the G8...?

We will all live, and I bet you will get your manual tranny! What about a special order? Or better yet get an automatic with manumatic shifting and AFM that can't be had with the manual. I would rather have AFM than a stick! (I just got my Nov. M/T it says in their!)

I love manuals, but I'd probably be content with an automatic with this car...in the Real World of stoplights, metered ramps, gridlocked freeway traffic, an automatic is easier to live with...

I drive my 6 speed manual in freeway gridlock, traffic and stop lights every day. If GM doesn't want my money, I'm sure BMW won't mind taking it again when the time comes.

Catering to the lowest common denominator and dumbing down their products as a strategy hasn't exactly helped GM in the sales department. RWD with a manual trans has become a differentiating characteristic that some people (like me) are willing to pay a premium to get.

And if everyone drove a stick, there wouldn't be gridlock! (everyone would be motivated to keep moving) Put down the bagel, coffee and cell phone and concentrate on driving the damn car! (and quit putzing along in the left lane)

I drive my 6 speed manual in freeway gridlock, traffic and stop lights every day. If GM doesn't want my money, I'm sure BMW won't mind taking it again when the time comes.

Catering to the lowest common denominator and dumbing down their products as a strategy hasn't exactly helped GM in the sales department. RWD with a manual trans has become a differentiating characteristic that some people (like me) are willing to pay a premium to get.

And if everyone drove a stick, there wouldn't be gridlock! (everyone would be motivated to keep moving) Put down the bagel, coffee and cell phone and concentrate on driving the damn car! (and quit putzing along in the left lane)

Here, Here! :yes: