Almost 10 year old concept

CMG

I realize you guys couldn't give credit where a pentastar is on the fender, it's like pulling teeth out of an alligator on this forum. I still wonder, what do you think of the "1999 Charger" concept car?

It's almost 10 years old now as far as design goes, but it would STILL sell like hotcakes on looks alone IMO..?

Posted Image

LOVE.IT.

It would have been cool to see that concept hit production with nary a hair out of place... then add a two-door and voila... instant classic. Always liked the '68-'70 Chargers.

That being said... I do like the car we got.

That concept was awsome. Made my hair stand on end first time I saw it. :blink::D

Chrysler has usually been very good at concepts... like the Airflite, LHX, Chronos, etc... but the translation to production has been very disappointing at times. My favorite Chrysler concept was the Atlantic... A car Chrysler should have built in very limited production for the rest of time.

Out of the American Big Three Car Corporations, Chrysler probably had the most memorable and remarkable concept cars in the 1990's and this decade. I was always blown away by how great their concept cars were. I know I'm very rough on them in my posts. It's only because they show such potential with their concepts, but most of their production cars are disappointments (300, Charger, Magnum, Viper, Challenger, and Prowler are the exceptions). If just a little of the forward thinking that produced these gorgeous concepts would have been infused into their lineups, I think they would be so far ahead of the game today.

Here is a list of some of the Chrysler Corporation concept cars that I think were interesting:

Plymouth:

* 1998 Pronto Spyder

Chrysler:

* 1995 Atlantic

* 1997 Phaeton

* 1998 Chronos

* 1999 Citadel

Jeep:

* 1997 Dakar

* 1997 ICON

* 2000 Commander2 (looks a lot like the current Grand Cherokee)

* 2000 Varsity

* 2001 Willys

* 2002 Willys2

* 2002 Compass

* 2004 Rescue

* 2005 Gladiator

* 2007 Trailhawk

Dodge:

* 1997 Copperhead

* 1999 Charger RT

* 2000 MAXXcab

* 2002 m80

* 2002 Razor

* 2003 Kahuna

* 2003 Avenger

* 2004 Slingshot

* 2006 Rampage

* 2006 Hornet

* 2007 Demon

Edited by cire

My favorite Chrysler concept was the Atlantic... A car Chrysler should have built in very limited production for the rest of time.

I totally agree. The 1995 Chrysler Atlantic would have made a beautiful halo car for Chrysler. The Atlantic, Phaeton, and Chronos were awesomely executed concept cars that would have pushed Chrysler into true luxury territory if they would have made the jump to production vehicles. Before Daimler sunk their teeth into Chrysler, they produced gorgeous concepts like the three mentioned above. Under Daimler's "care and guidance", Chrysler produces the hideous 2006 Imperial concept. Very interesting... :scratchchin:

Edited by cire

what do you think of the "1999 Charger" concept car?

I love it ... especially the way so many bodylines resemble the '69ish Charger ... yet, it is distinctly new, too.

I still say they should've brought that to the marketplace instead of what they did produce as the Charger....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Hood slidin' like Bo Duke"...Dierks Bently...'What Was I Thinking?'

I realize you guys couldn't give credit where a pentastar is on the fender, it's like pulling teeth out of an alligator on this forum. I still wonder, what do you think of the "1999 Charger" concept car?

It's almost 10 years old now as far as design goes, but it would STILL sell like hotcakes on looks alone IMO..?

Posted Image

I don't really know why but I get quite a Firepower vibe from this sedan.

I love the '99 Charger concept even more than I hate the production car. I've seen it in person and , even with 4-doors, it was near perfection. It was also powered by natural gas - a true clean-air musclecar. What's not to love? This one should have been the production car.

Another fine concept was the Chrysler Hemi-C convertible. It was production-ready and gorgeous, but DCX let it die on the vine. I'm glad the Germans are gone now, maybe Chrysler can begin to matter again.

post-394-1192895590_thumb.jpg

I never cared for the '99 Charger- something about the 'single plane' front end turns me right off. It also features a lot of body 'tumblehome', which I don't dislike, but seems dated by the '90s. I'd give it a 7 on a 1-10.

Jeep aside, it's one of my least favorite '90s ChryCo concepts, most of which I like. LHS still looks futuristic to me, Chronos & Atlantic still iconic.

One of my favorite concepts from Ma Mopar lately was the Firepower.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love the FirePower..it makes perfect sense as a flagship model since it's based of existing components and would be a much better cathan the Crossfire (although I like teh Crossfire name better)

Posted Image

FYI, this was canceled buy the Germans because they didn't want a car a fraction of the cost of the SLR to be able to beat it...when it could. In fact the were already prototypes undergoing testing for limited production when it was canceled.

As for the Charger itself...in the end I like the one we got better...it's muscular and menacing in the way the concept wasn't...but the concept is a very handsome car. What the concept car has over the production model is interior design.

Posted Image

Even today it looks modern and fresh..I would love to have seen it in the production Charger.

In fact, Chrysler can build beautiful concept interiors that looks production ready and not pie-in-the-sky...I just wish they'd make it to production.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wish the LHS could've been the inspiration for all Chryslers. Simply a beautiful car. So sleek and expensive looking.

Posted Image

I actually don't care for the LHS or the Concorde...I never liked their sloping rear ends. I liked the more upright rear ends of the 300M and Intrepid. LHS/300M have my favorite interiors in a modern Chrysler.

Edited by Dodgefan

I think the Firepower was *supposed* to come out with the Gen3 Hemis. A more affordable alternative to the Viper.

The LHS never really impressed me as much as the latest model Intrepid. I kinda liked the Intrepid before it was shelved. My friend who was an auto enthusiast and not much into newer stuff RAVED about the LHS after driving one, which left me confused, as he's not a guy easily impressed. I've never driven one myself, I have no idea why he liked it so much.

I think the Firepower was *supposed* to come out with the Gen3 Hemis. A more affordable alternative to the Viper.

The LHS never really impressed me as much as the latest model Intrepid. I kinda liked the Intrepid before it was shelved. My friend who was an auto enthusiast and not much into newer stuff RAVED about the LHS after driving one, which left me confused, as he's not a guy easily impressed. I've never driven one myself, I have no idea why he liked it so much.

3.5 + AutoStick + 300M interior perhaps? I still prefer the 300M but like the Intrepid best overall.

The FirePower shouldn't be more affordable, it should simply be different. Softer, like a GT, with a far more plush interior like the concept features (in fact, just make the chrome brushed metal and call it a day).

I don't like the 300Ms basic halogen headlights and the back was too abrupt for me. The Intrepid has a nice exterior but much less powerful mechanics(no offense dodgefan) and a downgraded interior.

I always had a bit of an issue with the 300M's front end...but overall liked the exterior. Don't forget the Intrepid was available with the 3.2 or 3.5 engines, the 3.5 being the same one the 300M uses

I agree with most off you. That Charger concept was really a dreamboat. It was perfect and would have been a classic. The 69 Charger was one of my all time favorite cars, and that concept was a very modern interpatation of that product. I was actually angry when they didn't product the concept and gave us the current one instead. To bad they can't still make it.

I totally agree. The 1995 Chrysler Atlantic would have made a beautiful halo car for Chrysler. The Atlantic, Phaeton, and Chronos were awesomely executed concept cars that would have pushed Chrysler into true luxury territory if they would have made the jump to production vehicles. Before Daimler sunk their teeth into Chrysler, they produced gorgeous concepts like the three mentioned above. Under Daimler's "care and guidance", Chrysler produces the hideous 2006 Imperial concept. Very interesting... :scratchchin:

I've also wondered if Daimler was trying to sabotage Chrysler in later years in order to get rid of them. Many of the production cars and concepts like the Imperial are just hideous / tasteless compared to concepts and production Chryslers from the 90s. The Sebring was like a bad joke when it debuted. While I do like the Charger we have now, if given a choice between the concept and the production, there is no question I would pick the concept. The production one is too trucky, like most Dodge cars these days.

The Challenger is a breath of fresh air for the Dodge brand, even though it's really just recycled air. I'd love to see the next Charger emulate the concept, the Avenger stop looking like a mini-Charger, and a true Dodge small car and roadster. The Imperial (if they ever build one) should not look like a Bentley knock-off. The 300C is nice but could use some refinement...Sebring needs a clean slate.

While I thought the Charger was totally awesome.....at the time the concept came out. I don't think it would fit in today, and especially with the current Chrysler lineup. It was a very "cab forward" type of design.

Now, the Chrysler concept that I was most pissed that they never produced was the 1994 Dodge Venom concept. This would have been a real pony car that could have really competed with the Camaro and Mustang. It would have been a perfect replacement and evolution for the Dodge Daytona, with moving to RWD and possibly making a V8 available. Instead we only got the Avenger....which was kinda cool looking, but all show, and no go.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Besides the Firepower, this is by far my favorite concept:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Beautiful car. It has such good lines...everything looks like it belongs and is harmonized, not slapped together like the Sebring for example. :wub:

What I have always liked about Chrysler's concepts is that many of them look production feasible...look at the 300 Hemi C...the interior borrows bits from the then current LH interiors. It doesn't look pie-in-the-sky. The Firepower still has my favorite interior design though.

Edited by Dodgefan

Now, the Chrysler concept that I was most pissed that they never produced was the 1994 Dodge Venom concept. This would have been a real pony car that could have really competed with the Camaro and Mustang. It would have been a perfect replacement and evolution for the Dodge Daytona, with moving to RWD and possibly making a V8 available. Instead we only got the Avenger....which was kinda cool looking, but all show, and no go.

I never liked it.. It's hideous.

I always liked the Copperhead.

Posted Image

The Sidewinder, too.

Posted Image

Well I've shown some love for a few Mopars in this thread, but I part company with you guys when it comes to the Venom. It looks like a cartoon animation to me, and I wouldn't be caught dead in something like that - yuck.

But a Hemi-C would look great in my garage. When I saw this concept in person, I was certain that it was headed for production - in fact it looked to be in production trim even as a show car.

And the Firepower is sweet, both inside and out. I'd rather have it than a Viper.

Yep, hideous :rolleyes: .......kinda like :scratchchin: :

Posted Image

:stupid:

It's hideous. End of story. It's a formless blob that looks like something a child would create using play-do. And will you quit being so cynical? If someone doesn't like a Chrysler product, suddenly you jump on the bias train and mention some GM vehicle. Get a life.

Edited by blackviper8891

:stupid:

It's hideous. End of story. It's a formless blob that looks like something a child would create using play-do. And will you quit being so cynical? If someone doesn't like a Chrysler product, suddenly you jump on the bias train and mention some GM vehicle. Get a life.

It kind of resembles a 4th gen Camaro, but with a flatter front end, and some exaggerated "concept car" styling cues (see my original post with the updated pic). I guess you probably think that 4th gen Camaro's look hideous though too.....right?? :rolleyes: Well, I loved the 4th gen Camaros......and thought that the Venom would have been an awesome competitor in that pony car market. The Venom even seemed to draw on some retro Challenger cues with the blacked out tail lamp section.

Posted Image

You only hate it, and think that it's hideous because it's a Chrysler product. Get a life!! :rolleyes:

It kind of resembles a 4th gen Camaro, but with a flatter front end, and some exaggerated "concept car" styling cues (see my original post with the updated pic). I guess you probably think that 4th gen Camaro's look hideous though too.....right??

When you first posted the Venom pic I thought it looked like a Pontiac Trans Am concept. It looks alot like the Camaro/Firebird 4th gen shape but it looks like the Pontiac guys got ahold of it...? Maybe a Trans Am or Firebird Formula concept is what came to mind, I was surprised it was a Chrysler, but I had never seen it before!

The Venom has good aspects I think.

I was also a fan of the Copperhead concept and I liked the Hemi Convertible at the time but now it just seems kind of plain. Maybe it's because I'm so sick of seeing all of the LHS and 300Ms on the road that I'm just bored with the design.

I always thought this was kind of cool:

Posted Image

The Dodge Super8 Hemi

It was hated by a lot of people, but I think it had some really cool elements and was pretty unique. With some polish, I could see myself buying something like this, the fact that it has a lot of retro appeals to me quite a bit. (Of course, I also have pretty weird taste most of the time)

It kind of resembles a 4th gen Camaro, but with a flatter front end, and some exaggerated "concept car" styling cues (see my original post with the updated pic). I guess you probably think that 4th gen Camaro's look hideous though too.....right?? :rolleyes: Well, I loved the 4th gen Camaros......and thought that the Venom would have been an awesome competitor in that pony car market. The Venom even seemed to draw on some retro Challenger cues with the blacked out tail lamp section.

Posted Image

You only hate it, and think that it's hideous because it's a Chrysler product. Get a life!! :rolleyes:

In that they're wedge-shaped sporty coupes with 2 doors and 4 wheels... Sure. Otherwise, no. There is not one similar design cue to be found. Period. So don't roll you're eyes and mock me, as you always do. It's very disrespectful especially when I'm only posting my opinion. Edited by blackviper8891

Hahaha

That's the pot calling the kettle black....

:AH-HA_wink:

The Venom looks alot like the 4th gen Firebird family. It's front end reminds me of Pontiac concepts of old too. I think BrewSwillis is pretty accurate in his assessment.

Intelligent and insightful too!

LOL