Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2008 LaCrosse Super review

RJB

GM keeps the great reviews rolling, now they just need to keep the car fresh so it doesnt grow stale on the market.

Uh, the Lacrosse was already stale from day one...even as Bob Lutz admits, things like the Super model are just to give it a fun little boost and a few new sales to those who notice before it's done with.

The completely new Lacrosse isn't far away, and already seen running around with just tape on it, so this current Lacrosse and it's antique W-body platform that limits the proportions and squeezes the interior will be gone shortly.

That all said...I really do like this Super model, and the new face, wheels, and extra little touches, along with the V8, do make a dowdy little sedan at least quite interesting, and it is well done for what it is. Even better than the more commonly known Impala SS, for example, and as was said, with a better suspension (i.e. Bilsteins, like the Grand Prix GXP), and a more luxurious ambiance.

It looks nice now, has great power, and is trimmed out well enough to help most forget the downfalls of the interior until the new model arrives.

Here's a good Youtube from a GM Engineer with a Super, as well...and gives you an idea of the quiet burble of the 5.3L in the Buick:

Edited by caddycruiser

That's a pretty sexy car!

As an aside, did anyone else get around to reading the dumb assed comments about the article?

:bs:

Yeah, and I was sorry I did. <_<

This does look to be a pretty nice car... you know, something to hold us until the Epsilon LaCrosse hits the market. Anyone know if the V8 can fit the new Epsilons?

Yeah, and I was sorry I did. <_<

This does look to be a pretty nice car... you know, something to hold us until the Epsilon LaCrosse hits the market. Anyone know if the V8 can fit the new Epsilons?

I'm thinking they won't stuff V8's in the new Epsilons even if they could. I think the DI 3.6L or turbo something is the wave of the future for the LaCrosse Super, Aura RL, Malibu SS (Should they make one).

It's nice to see Buick get another positive review.

The car is o.k. and looks much better with the new grille (which also makes it fit in better with the rest of the lineup). That being said, I still can't wait for the next generation Epsilon II car to arrive.

This is a little off the subject, but I went over to Buick's China website and looked at their version of the LaCrosse. I wasn't impressed. Unlike many people, I think the U.S. version looks much better. The Chinese version looks bland and very derivative of Asian based designs. I think the U.S. version (although slightly derivative of the last generation Taurus) fits in better with Buick's near luxury image.

This is a little off the subject, but I went over to Buick's China website and looked at their version of the LaCrosse. I wasn't impressed. Unlike many people, I think the U.S. version looks much better. The Chinese version looks bland and very derivative of Asian based designs. I think the U.S. version (although slightly derivative of the last generation Taurus) fits in better with Buick's near luxury image.

I pretty much agree. Not that the US version is a beauty, but the China version is very bland and derivative outside, aside from more balanced proportions. Its key saving grace is the much higher level interior, and design, but that will soon be remedied on the new US version as well.

Unlike the Lucerne Super, the exterior upgrades to the LaCrosse Super do help the look overall and make it feel more substantial while making it look a bit less dated. The interior has some nice use of colors and materials...but the whole thing feels dated. I'd much rather spend the money on a CTS...which isn't running on ancient running gear and isn't a victim of being an also-ran in any department...which includes the superb powertrain.

Unlike the Lucerne Super, the exterior upgrades to the LaCrosse Super do help the look overall and make it feel more substantial while making it look a bit less dated. The interior has some nice use of colors and materials...but the whole thing feels dated. I'd much rather spend the money on a CTS...which isn't running on ancient running gear and isn't a victim of being an also-ran in any department...which includes the superb powertrain.

Pretty much. Base CTS vs. Lacrosse Super, it's a pretty clear choice for most...well, except for the dollars and cents of being able to get more $$ off the Buick's sticker in the end. Still, very close either way.

But the point still stands, and I'll even agree with Fly a bit here, the Lacrosse is not at all a bad car, but rather quite decent and just hobbled by ancient underpinnings and a mish-mash interior and trimming of sorts. Solid and decently refined, but about as much so as it takes to make a nice rental. Still, in things like Super trim, it actually becomes very attractive as a small sedan, and will give the car a nice "fun" model before it bows out. I've been moderately attracted to the random CXS models I see, but now with the Super, I actually have a pretty strong pull to one. Not sure if I'd actually sign the check, but would at least drive one, if in the small sedan market.

Edited by caddycruiser

The LaCrosse Super is the right price, especially since the LaCrosse is not a heavily sought-after vehicle. It isn't a bad car. The LaCrosse Super addresses many of the bland issues I had with the regular LaCrosse... however I'm still not a big fan of the fish-eyes. The only other problem is oil is speeding to $100 a barrel, and as much as I've always desired a V-8, I think it'd be ludicrous to buy one until there is some severe relief in gas prices.

Just curious--where's the Lucerne Super? It's not on Buick.com, and it's not reviewed. Anything anyone?

Hopefully Buick is reconsidering that hideous new grille that they slapped on the show car version, but I seriously doubt it.

I have also wondered why it is not on their website yet. I thought the Super trim models rollout would be one huge, combined event to celebrate and market the return of the Super moniker. Maybe they are staggering the rollouts to help keep interest levels elevated for the brand. Another reason could be that the LaCrosse needed some serious attention to return it to the consciousness of consumers without being overshadowed by the Lucerne. I'm not sure either, but there must be someone out there with some insider information.

The LaCrosse is one of those few cars left that have truly comfortable seats, a library quiet ride and an exterior with some trim and chrome that avoids the bland plain slab sided look that is being copied by litterally every manufacturer. The used 2007 CXS model I test drove the other day really surprised me with it's velvety smooth 3.6 that had intoxicating power above 20 MPH, it's very responsive steering and handling for a Buick, the sit in them all day seats and all the luxury features that came with this car for the very reasonable sum of $15995. If limousine back seat legroom and the latest fads aren't important, I would give this car a very close look for those looking for a well built, reliable used car bargain.

I believe the Lucerne Super will have a late intro in Summer/Fall 2008. It allows Buick to stretch the Super roll-out in between the Enclave and the LaCrosse replacement debut.

If that's true, that's ridiculous. It's not like they're doing anything ground-breaking... they took the Northstar out of the DTS that gets a whopping 17 more hp, put a wood steering wheel in, added shiny plastic on the center console, some suede to the doors, and a new fugly grille. Ooooh, Super!

Why bother introducing it SO early then? I think it's ridiculous.

I'll just have to just wait for the new LaCrosse before I see any significant change like the Enclave made.

Its not a bad looking car. I prefer the stance of the Super better than the V6 powered LaCrosses. As with others, I am ready for the replacement. I hope the next Gen-LaX/Regal (whatever they call it) will have more cohesive looks befitting a real Buick and the DI 3.6 and 6-speed auto.

• 2 weeks later...

The car is sharp. But I'd let someone else take the first 1-2 yr/ depreciation hit and buy one just to be different....

I watched an ebay auction on a used one, chocolate on chocolate, with only 600 miles on the odometer. The dealer was looking for $27 Grand but nobody bid more than right over $20 Grand. . . .

This would be a nice car to lease, though.

I am leasing a 2006 Lacrosse, 20 months into a 36-month lease, right under the appropriate mileage at more or less 25,000 miles. I won't have to worry about depreciation, either.