SEMA: '08 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo

Chris_Doane

I honestly do not like the color of the gray inserts on the seats, but I like the materials and shape of the seats. I like the wheels, they're wide open to show off the Brembo brake system. I am thinking either white with black/red leather, or dark blue with the same interior (I always liked dark blue and red together), if by chance it is available.

So much for that mesh grill...

That should be corrected come NAIAS . The yellow car is not a production car . The development cars had the new grills , no clue why it was left off this one .

Edited by silverss/sc

Will this one be offered with an auto or just manual like the SSCS?

Judging by the HHR SS released earlier which has the same powertrain, I think they might offer the automatic, which may have less power than the manual transmission.

Dilutes the image of the car

Let's see...

Honda - Civic Si comes in sedan form

Mazda - Mazdaspeed3 and Mazdaspeed 6 are hatchbacks and sedans

Toyota - They had the Corolla XRS, but that's out of the question, but again no coupe

Chrysler - The Caliber SRT-4 is a hatchback

I don't see the problem. It ain't no Corvette. More variations, more sales. I for one can't really see myself buying a coupe as a primary car.

Edited by ToniCipriani

Neither the Mazda 3, the SRT-4, Sentra SE-R SpecV or the Civic Si are available with an auto... having said that I understand having an auto option opens up the car to a more buyers, the question is; are said buyers simply upgrading from a Cobalt Sport or would they have bought something totally different.

The last thing Chevy needs is for the Cobalt to loose credibility much like how a V6 Mustang is regarded as a secretary's car.

I have no issue with the sedan other than its not the best looking car in its class.

Guest vegas_hound

Here's the shake down on the Cobalt as told by the GM man at SEMA:

Price: Under $24,000

When: Starting April of '08

LSD: Real and available, not standard

Shift linkage is better (as opposed to the Redline and previous SS)

Seats are more comfortable just not as supportive as the Recaros

0-60 should fall near 5.5s due to No Lift Shift Feature

Economy should be better that the previous SS due to lower final drive ratio (3.83 v. 4.11) and the turbo

Overall it is the "stealth" import killer Chevy needs

here are the Pics:

Cobalt SS 1

Cobalt SS 2

Cobalt SS 3

Cobalt SS 4

Edited by vegas_hound

Anybody that buys this car without an LSD is an idiot.

Yeah, LSD is essential for that kind of vehicle.

Wait a minute... I think I see a hint of the crosshatch grille in vegas_hound's picture there.

Spot on my dear friend. I looked at that and said GM photography sucks. It seems like they photoshopped Cobalt LS and changed the wheels and replaced the L by S to have SS.

I was wondering if the 2.0 DI T will be on par with the 2.4 ecotec for fuel efficiency.

I don't see a reason why not, since, the DI T in the Kappas is actually better than the 2.4l for fuel economy on the highway, and almost par in city driving.

It would be nice to have a 22-34 mpg rating, which will make this car a worthy vehicle to own.

I was wondering if the 2.0 DI T will be on par with the 2.4 ecotec for fuel efficiency.

I don't see a reason why not, since, the DI T in the Kappas is actually better than the 2.4l for fuel economy on the highway, and almost par in city driving.

It would be nice to have a 22-34 mpg rating, which will make this car a worthy vehicle to own.

I can tell you as an owner of a 2.4L, they don't get the best mileage. I average between 10.5 and 11.5 L/100kms. If I drive like a girl, I can get 9.5L/100kms. Mine is a stick.

I'd image the 2.0L be similar and better if you kept it out of the boost...

I can tell you as an owner of a 2.4L, they don't get the best mileage. I average between 10.5 and 11.5 L/100kms. If I drive like a girl, I can get 9.5L/100kms. Mine is a stick.

I'd image the 2.0L be similar and better if you kept it out of the boost...

Do you drive in city, with heavy BtBT (Bumper to Bumper Traffic)?

With 11.5L/100km it is about 20.6 mpg, close to 22mpg city rating, with 9.5L/100km it is 24.9mpg.

I have a friend who owns it (and it is a stick too) he used to get 25mpg in city, which was pretty close to the old EPA ratings, and often busted it to 36mpg on the highway.

Do you drive in city, with heavy BtBT (Bumper to Bumper Traffic)?

With 11.5L/100km it is about 20.6 mpg, close to 22mpg city rating, with 9.5L/100km it is 24.9mpg.

I have a friend who owns it (and it is a stick too) he used to get 25mpg in city, which was pretty close to the old EPA ratings, and often busted it to 36mpg on the highway.

The lowest I have ever seen is in the 7.5 range on the highway at around 130Km/h (80MPH)

I have a heavy foot and am almost always in the city, rarely on the highway. My average speed is usally around 50KM/H according to the DIC.

The lowest I have ever seen is in the 7.5 range on the highway at around 130Km/h (80MPH)

I have a heavy foot and am almost always in the city, rarely on the highway. My average speed is usally around 50KM/H according to the DIC.

Again on the highway at 80mph, that is about 32mpg, not bad compared to the current EPA estimates, which are indeed 32mpg. I have usually noticed that the car loses about 2-3mpg if you go up from a average speed of 70-75mph to 80-85mph.

My Lumina gives me 32mpg on highways at an average speed of 71.2mph but returned 29.3mpg at average speed of 80.5mph.

My TSX does the same thing. 36.5mpg at 70.6mph, while 34.2 at 79.2mph.

I did not get chance to test my Z06 with that, but it gave me 31.5mpg at average speed of 74.3mph.

So you are right in the ball park.

Again on the highway at 80mph, that is about 32mpg, not bad compared to the current EPA estimates, which are indeed 32mpg. I have usually noticed that the car loses about 2-3mpg if you go up from a average speed of 70-75mph to 80-85mph.

My Lumina gives me 32mpg on highways at an average speed of 71.2mph but returned 29.3mpg at average speed of 80.5mph.

My TSX does the same thing. 36.5mpg at 70.6mph, while 34.2 at 79.2mph.

I did not get chance to test my Z06 with that, but it gave me 31.5mpg at average speed of 74.3mph.

So you are right in the ball park.

I should mention that my car has an AEM intake, GMPP exhaust and a HPT tune that is currently running slightly rich.

The wheels suck less but still aren't that great. I actually liked the SS's larger wing better. In these photos it doesn't look much different than the standard coupe. Which is ashame. Like it or not, the Caliber SRT4 looks special and will never be mistaken for the regular Calibers.

Odd but true, I am starting to like the Caliber in SRT-4 trim. It should be a hot car.

Chris

The seats and upholstery makes such a difference. I hated the old Supercharged SS's interior, with its vinyl door inserts and shiny leather, but this new one, with its black/grey alcantara is much classier. The seats look so much more substantial.

From AutoBlog...

Posted Image

For those of us in our forties buying such as car, the seats look much better than the psudo racing seats ususally put in such cars.

Chris