Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Pontiac G8 got redesigned already

ZL-1

Yes I know, I use to be brand loyal, but Lutz has killed that for me by bringing in Holden, Pontiac is no longer Pontiac because of that one move. Lutz has lost me as a loyal buyer of Pontiac. Not one thin dime will ever go to Pontiac from me ever again, and as you see, I don't seem to be alone in that regard. Tick, Tock! :AH-HA_wink:

Because... you know... Your Grand Prix is a true Pontiac and all. Corporate platform, Chevy/Buick engines, FWD performance (I.E. the lack of), styling you'd find on a 3rd grader's doodles, and an interior put together by Fisher Price. Ah... What a delightful Pontiac. It truly does give the brand a good name. No wonder it's such a hot seller. Oh, wait... Fleet sales don't count, do they? Edited by blackviper8891

Actually they do, GM makes money off them too.

Don't leave your little town BV, you'll be eaten alive. You need to grow up! :yes:

Besides the fact consumers aren't actually buying them. The Grand Prix sells horribly without being whored out to fleets. Pretty much shows how much the buying public cares about it. All those dealerships, all those rebates, all that history... It still fails to sell well. Take away fleet sales and what do you have? The Mercury Grand Marquis was outselling it at retail levels at times. How pathetic! :lol:

Besides the fact consumers aren't actually buying them. The Grand Prix sells horribly without being whored out to fleets. Pretty much shows how much the buying public cares about it. All those dealerships, all those rebates, all that history... It still fails to sell well. Take away fleet sales and what do you have? The Mercury Grand Marquis was outselling it at retail levels at times. How pathetic! :lol:

At least it runs, put all your family's cars together and what do you have? Answer, a pile of broken crap. Besides you father's work truck, do any of them function a 100% of the time? :rotflmao: How bout 50% of the time? :P Like I said, don't leave your little town. :nono:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

At least it runs, put all your family's cars together and what do you have? Answer, a pile of broken crap. Besides you father's work truck, do any of them function a 100% of the time? How bout 50% of the time? Like I said, don't leave your little town.

Aw... PCS can't come up with a good response so he resorts to taking jabs. :P

All five of our vehicles run. They all function 100% of time. Functioning correctly is a better way to put it. But hey... one is 23 years old with 103k miles bought for $450, 14 years old with 100k miles bought for $100, 12 years old with 175k miles bought for $1600, and 5 years old with 105k miles bought for $5800. If you have to compare a brand new vehicle to those cheapies to prove a point... I think you're reaching a little far, aren't ye? Desperate, much? :wink:

Aw... PCS can't come up with a good response so he resorts to taking jabs. :P

All five of our vehicles run. They all function 100% of time. Functioning correctly is a better way to put it. But hey... one is 23 years old with 103k miles bought for $450, 14 years old with 100k miles bought for $100, 12 years old with 175k miles bought for $1600, and 5 years old with 105k miles bought for $5800. If you have to compare a brand new vehicle to those cheapies to prove a point... I think you're reaching a little far, aren't ye? Desperate, much? :wink:

Desperate not at all, you're the one that comes on here whining how your cars don't work from your Asian Ford on down. As for why you even try to mess with me, is beyond me for two reason, 1st, your out of your league, Secondly, I'm probably one of the few people here who actually tried to help you do something with your life and use your God given talent you have. Help from me will be slow in coming, if at all, in the future.

Enjoy your day!

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Desperate not at all, you're the one that comes on here whining how your cars don't work from your Asian Ford on down. As for why you even try to mess with me, is beyond me for two reason, 1st, your out of your league, Secondly, I'm probably one of the few people here who actually tried to help you do something with your life and use your God given talent you have. Help from me will be slow in coming, if at all, in the future.

Enjoy your day!

Do you take everything you read so seriously? Is there some hidden personal battle going on between you and I that I don't know about? I didn't know making a comment about a certain vehicle meant I was vandalizing your property, trashing your good name with slander, and blackmailing you into submission. My, I must be so out of touch with reality to have not come to this realization! As well, I had no idea using sarcasm to represent the seeking of advice on automotive matters meant I was whining. I sure do have alot to learn. But wait, there's more? You mean to tell me that doing the previous for one vehicle means I do it for all? Wow! You sure have shown me the light! I mean, it was my understanding that I only defended my 100% Japanese Millenia from those poor bias-blinded fools. I didn't know I whined it about it, too. I guess I have taken you for granted. All that help you gave me... I must have truly been ignorant. Usually when someone wants to help me out, they're sincere and caring, not cold and impersonal. None the less, I know that I was wrong now. I am truly sorry that you feel that way and I will go about changing ways as soon as I finish this post. Right after I finish the online conversations I'm having with the person I met here that led me through the struggles of depression. I thought he was the one who truly helped me out with life... Boy, was I ever wrong. Thanks PCS. I now know how much you mean to me.

Do you take everything you read so seriously? Is there some hidden personal battle going on between you and I that I don't know about? I didn't know making a comment about a certain vehicle meant I was vandalizing your property, trashing your good name with slander, and blackmailing you into submission. My, I must be so out of touch with reality to have not come to this realization! As well, I had no idea using sarcasm to represent the seeking of advice on automotive matters meant I was whining. I sure do have alot to learn. But wait, there's more? You mean to tell me that doing the previous for one vehicle means I do it for all? Wow! You sure have shown me the light! I mean, it was my understanding that I only defended my 100% Japanese Millenia from those poor bias-blinded fools. I didn't know I whined it about it, too. I guess I have taken you for granted. All that help you gave me... I must have truly been ignorant. Usually when someone wants to help me out, they're sincere and caring, not cold and impersonal. None the less, I know that I was wrong now. I am truly sorry that you feel that way and I will go about changing ways as soon as I finish this post. Right after I finish the online conversations I'm having with the person I met here that led me through the struggles of depression. I thought he was the one who truly helped me out with life... Boy, was I ever wrong. Thanks PCS. I now know how much you mean to me.

As I said, have a good day. There is no further need for us to communicate.

The current Grand Prix is as good as dead. My very small Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealership maybe carries 2-3 brand new GPs at any time, and they are the bottom feeders of the MSRP range for those wonderful low lease price ads (not that they've featured the GP in any of their ads in the last two years). My close friend owns a '05 GP and he's not been happy with it and can't wait for the day that he can replace it (which is a shame, as he has always loved the GP and couldn't wait to get another one). I loved my wife's 2000 GP GT sedan, but once Pontiac came out with the "two-steps backward" 2004+ GP, they lost me as a GP customer.

I feel the G8, while the name sucks and it's not as "Pontiac" with its exterior design, is still a better Pontiac than what has been offered since the last generation GP, Bonneville, and Firebird/Formula/Trans Am, and even the GTO (which suffered due to its outdated exterior styling). Most "die-hard" Pontiac fans feel that once the Pontiac V8 died in or shortly after 1979, so did the Pontiac brand. Those in that catergory also don't even support the brand today, or even in the late '80s and throughout the '90s.

Die-Hard, while I can appreciate your passion for the brand, Pontiac sold mostly to women in the '90s (Sunfire, Grand Am, Grad Prix were all big sellers to women buyers) and Pontiacs were still basically "upgraded" Chevies. For Pontiac to survive, they have to differentiate themselves even more from Chevy & Saturn (move to RWD/AWD) and find the true Pontiac styling that once existed and got people excited. Holden will help with the RWD/maybe AWD part for now, even if the exterior & interior styling aren't up to par with die-hard Pontiac fans (I for one like the G8 and I have not considered a Pontiac since the Bonnville died in '05 - which I couldn't afford the Bonne I waned anyway, a GXP sedan). The G8 is on my radar, and maybe the Torrent for the wife. But other than that, the G5 is too small, I prefer my Saturn AURA over the G6, I love my SKY more than the Solstice, and the current Grand Prix turns me off completely. I grew up with and learned how to drive on a '83 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ, owned a '95 Trans Am, leased a '99 Pontiac Grand Am GT sedan, and shared the wife's '00 GP GT sedan. And I love many of the Pontiacs offered throughout 1926-2005. So for me to say that I don't care - outside of the G8 & Torrent - about today's Pontiac lineup means something. I'm glad you love the GP and are getting one next month - it works for you. But until GM and Bob Lutz put some new models in the lineup, I'll continue to go to Saturn or Buick or hopefully one day Cadillac for my GM car needs.

PCS, you have your reasons for your hatred of Holden and that I can respect. But for me, as a former owner of Pontiacs and one who is not interested much in the current lineup, I am excited that Holden is here to help Pontiac move back to where it once was prior to 1980. You can hate them all you want, but realize that others here don't share that hatred and are waiting to see how else Holden will help reinvent Pontiac. I will say that while the G8 isn't the best styled offering from Pontiac, it is much better than the regrilled G5 and too-soft G6 (which is an attractive car, but not what is relighting the fire with consumers). So with Holden's help, Pontiac may find new customers. Once GM sees the $$$ flowing back into that division, maybe more R&D money will be allowed and the NA designers can have their say again. If you're going out of your way to prevent Zeta from happening, then you must not really care about the future of Pontiac. Which is sad in itself, seeing how you are a gloried Pontiac owner.

I am not going to get involved in this argument anymore. It turned out ugly as I can see as some of you fighting over the matter. All that matters to me now is that, my mind is already set and my decision is firm that I am determined to get the last, true, ORIGINAL, American Designed Pontiac before Luts(aka, Pontiac hater) makes a stupid mistake killing it like they did to Firebird. Well, the brand new 08 models, though it isn't any differ to the 07. That's all that matters to me.

I agree btw, the current line up of Pontiac is pathetic. Aside from their best selling G6, last breed of Grand Prix, and the Solstice which was so popular that later spawned Saturn version(though GM already had it planned), the rest of line up can be easily laughed at and forgettable. Vibe is nothing more than a recycled Toyota(even the new 09 model I can tell), G5 being only a copy of Chevy Cobalt trash with a pontiac grill, G8 being nothing more than a re-badged Holden Monaro(or is it commodore, I forget, the two looks confusing to me) which to me, do not FIT in Pontiac styling unless they make some restyles on it, and correct me if I am wrong, Torrent seems just like a modified version of Chevy's Equinnox, which I NEVER liked, though Torrent has a better look, that is sportier.

Well, I am still hunting for the best price on my next Grand Prix, so I will just leave it at that. Hey, everyone have his/her right to have opinions, but to me, GM is just making another STUPID mistake. They can just bring back Grand Prix along with G8, after making some update to the Grand Prix(which dates back to the 1970s, that has history) and also add in newly updated models of Fiero or something, to really have the chance to compete, and in line of the ever-expanding Chevy line up. Pontiac needs some good NEW models as well. As is, they won't make much money as they should.

Well, that's how I see it. About the only other gripe I have about Pontiac in addition to it, is their new naming scheme, They should stop putting numbers after G. There are so many good names they can use for a car rather than taking lazy way out of just adding number to the alphabet. Well, it worked for an Audi, but the same naming game won't work for more than 1 make, and certainly Pontiac is not one of them. Well, that's my opinion.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

I

Well, I am still hunting for the best price on my next Grand Prix, so I will just leave it at that. Hey, everyone have his/her right to have opinions, but to me, GM is just making another STUPID mistake.

Check Avis sales..I'm sure you can get a good deal there..(they were a big buyer of GPs).

Edited by moltar

Agree with the above. The w-bodies had their time, and the market has changed since that architecture was even developed. Now that the W-body is aged, any redesign on it is like taking an 80 year old woman, giving her a facelift, and setting her on the street corner for pleasures of the flesh I used to be a big fan of the w-body Grand Prix in the late 80s and most of the 90's, with my favorite being the 97-2003 models, GTP sedan, black, 1SD package with the HUD, leather, and all the goodies.

I applaud GM for combing their global operations. I think its an efficient way to get products to a number of different countries. I like Holdens. I like that Holden has been making large, rear wheel drive, V-8 powered midsize, large, and utes for years. To me, they had a better idea of traditional American cars than American car makers who abandoned that market because the carmakers believed that the front wheel drive car was the future. Now that the market is changing again and rear wheel drive is considered premium for its handling and infinite power cieling, automakers are coming back with their larger cars being rear wheel drive. I know things will never be the way they were, and while I miss some of the things that older cars had (bench seat options for example), I am only one customer and a car maker cannot make decisions based on one or two customers wants and/or needs. If GM can bring Zeta based vehicles to the U.S. that are competitive and that the market demands, then I think they should do it. It's a good way to fully use the company's global resources and increase global sales.

I am not going to get involved in this argument anymore. It turned out ugly as I can see as some of you fighting over the matter. All that matters to me now is that, my mind is already set and my decision is firm that I am determined to get the last, true, ORIGINAL, American Designed Pontiac before Luts(aka, Pontiac hater) makes a stupid mistake killing it like they did to Firebird. Well, the brand new 08 models, though it isn't any differ to the 07. That's all that matters to me.

I agree btw, the current line up of Pontiac is pathetic. Aside from their best selling G6, last breed of Grand Prix, and the Solstice which was so popular that later spawned Saturn version(though GM already had it planned), the rest of line up can be easily laughed at and forgettable. Vibe is nothing more than a recycled Toyota(even the new 09 model I can tell), G5 being only a copy of Chevy Cobalt trash with a pontiac grill, G8 being nothing more than a re-badged Holden Monaro(or is it commodore, I forget, the two looks confusing to me) which to me, do not FIT in Pontiac styling unless they make some restyles on it, and correct me if I am wrong, Torrent seems just like a modified version of Chevy's Equinnox, which I NEVER liked, though Torrent has a better look, that is sportier.

Well, I am still hunting for the best price on my next Grand Prix, so I will just leave it at that. Hey, everyone have his/her right to have opinions, but to me, GM is just making another STUPID mistake. They can just bring back Grand Prix along with G8, after making some update to the Grand Prix(which dates back to the 1970s, that has history) and also add in newly updated models of Fiero or something, to really have the chance to compete, and in line of the ever-expanding Chevy line up. Pontiac needs some good NEW models as well. As is, they won't make much money as they should.

Well, that's how I see it. About the only other gripe I have about Pontiac in addition to it, is their new naming scheme, They should stop putting numbers after G. There are so many good names they can use for a car rather than taking lazy way out of just adding number to the alphabet. Well, it worked for an Audi, but the same naming game won't work for more than 1 make, and certainly Pontiac is not one of them. Well, that's my opinion.

Get your Grand Prix, I love mine! :yes:

Chances are, they will keep the Impala and kill the better version which is Grand Prix since GM and Mr.Luts(Pontiac Hater) only cares about Chevy. Impala probably will go on without GP which is RIDICULOUS.

It's happened before. Chevy's kept going with an old chassis (B, G) when B-O-P moved on to the newest (H, W)

One thing... The Firebird, along with the Camaro, were dead far before Lutz took over. He also gave us the GTO. Love it or hate it, it brought back performance to Pontiac. As did the Solstice, also Lutz's doing. And now the G8. Pontiac hater? If he hated Pontiac, he'd truly do some damage. Perhaps he'd take the Mercury route and keep giving it redundant products, much like the Grand Prix is now. If you think the lineup sucks now, I'd love to see your opinion of one without Lutz's influence. He is SAVING Pontiac, not killing it. It's in the form of baby steps, but I'd much rather it be this than to not have had these three wonderful vehicles. The brand still has a ways to go, namely in the form of getting back on the right track of styling. I personally don't have a problem with G8's design in itself and I have defended it through and through. I won't try to pass it off as perfection, but ask yourself what really matters. This unrelenting disgust for a superb vehicle that Pontiac needs desperately? Or letting it run it's course so that the chance of an even greater successor following is possible? Think about it.

I, for one, am fed up with all this hypocrisy.