Toyota Recalls 75,000 Prius Hybrids

Guest Josh

DETROIT - Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it is recalling 75,000 Prius gas-electric hybrid cars because their engines can stall due to an electrical problem.

Involved in the recall are some 2004 and early 2005 model year Prius cars. The cars have a gas engine as well as a battery-powered electric motor that can run separately or together to save fuel.

In affected vehicles, dashboard warning lights may come on and the gasoline engine shuts down. The vehicle's electric motor will continue operating in a limited capacity, so drivers can steer to the side of the road. The gasoline engine may start working again if the driver restarts the vehicle.

Toyota spokesman Xavier Dominicis said the automaker began investigating the problem after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration received 68 reports of Prius engines stalling. No one has been injured by the defect, and it hasn't caused any reported accidents, Dominicis said.

NHTSA closed its investigation after Toyota said it would voluntarily recall the vehicles. Owners will be notified starting this month.

Toyota dealers will repair affected vehicles for free. The vehicles may need to have their software reprogrammed. Dealers may also apply a waterproof grease that will prevent water from getting into the electrical system.

Dominicis stressed that the defect isn't related to the Prius's gas-electric hybrid system and could happen in any vehicle.

The Prius was the world's first commercially mass-produced hybrid car and it remains the most popular. U.S. sales of the Prius more than doubled in the first nine months of this year to 81,042, according to Autodata Corp.

Dominicis stressed that the defect isn't related to the Prius's gas-electric hybrid system and could happen in any vehicle.

Yea, but it JUST SO HAPPENS it does in the Prius and no other vehicle on the road today. Weird how it's not just Toyotas problem.

They also went on to blame each driver of the Prius for not checking to see if their car had this problem before buying it. Therefore, the issue is entirely the customer's fault. :P Toyota's luster is starting to fade and with a vehicle so crucial to their "green" image, quality problems with the engine will start to steer people away.....wait. What am I talking about? This isn't an American car company. It's Toyota! With the company's PR tactics, people will forget about this by saturday.

"Ironicaly" today my local radio station had an entire segment on their morning show about how great the Prius was. Interesting...........................

[post="28730"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I guess this is how the prius can get really good fuel economy! :CG_all:

Toyota dealers will repair affected vehicles for free. The vehicles may need to have their software reprogrammed. Dealers may also apply a waterproof grease that will prevent water from getting into the electrical system.

If it's just a "software" problem, like all of the Toyota humpers are claiming.....then why are they applying a waterproof grease to the electrical system?? :huh:

Smells like a cover-up to me! :ph34r:

didn't DCX recall 280k Rams for a tranny defect last week
0 replies

along w/GM's recall of 125k 05-06 vehicles for engine fires which didn't even make forum news.

[post="28776"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, this IS a GM and, to a lesser degree, domestic fansite.

Also, Toyota is infallible, so when they stumble we like to point and laugh. Edited by bowtie_dude

Regarding the DCX recall:

Chrysler is also recalling about 283,000 2003-2005 Dodge Ram pickups with diesel engines and automatic transmissions. The automaker has found that some drivers are not fully placing the shift lever in the park position.

Didn't find anything on the GM recall...but I can't say this one compares to engines stalling.

didn't DCX recall 280k Rams for a tranny defect last week
0 replies

along w/GM's recall of 125k 05-06 vehicles for engine fires which didn't even make forum news.

[post="28776"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah... let me look those up so I can post about the Toyota Recall since you're discussing their recalls in this one... ^_^

You're so quick to bring us the latest Toyota news. I'm shocked that Josh beat you to posting this topic?

The significance of a Toyota or Honda recall is largely because they have this mythical reputation for quality. Bringing up a domestic manufacturer's recall notices is faulty comparison. Last time I looked, the domestics didn't charge a premium price for a supposed better vehicle.

The Toyota Prius, keeping the air cleaner by making you walk.

[post="28768"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It says the electric motor still works (albeit in a limited capacity) and all you have to do is restart the car and the gas engine will start up again. No need to walk.

The higher the horse the harder the fall. I'll be mentioning this next time a friend/coworker/relative mentions the 'fantastic' Prius. But like FoG said this wil be hushed up and forgotten unlike any recall GM has had, or ever will have.

[post="28561"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This confuses me. Yes, it "could" happen to any car. But the fact that it ONLY happened to Toyota Prius and not any other 2004-2005 new car. I think he's just trying to redirect some of the blame, lol. Because it "could" happen to any vehicle then it is obviously the fault of cars in general, and not Toyota directly.

The Prius was the world's first commercially mass-produced hybrid car

com·mer·cial, adj. 1) Having profit as a chief aim.

So we could say that the Prius was the first mass-produced hybrid car with profit as a chief aim? That sounds like Toyota. The Insight was the first mass-produced hybrid car in America. I thought it was for the world to? Am I missing something here?

com·mer·cial, adj. 1) Having profit as a chief aim.

So we could say that the Prius was the first mass-produced hybrid car with profit as a chief aim? That sounds like Toyota.

[post="28914"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sounds like every for-profit company in the world.

The Insight was the first mass-produced hybrid car in America. I thought it was for the world to? Am I missing something here?

I believe the Insight was only produced in limited quantities and you couldn't really walk into a Honda showroom a pick one out that day. I could be wrong though.

It says the electric motor still works (albeit in a limited capacity) and all you have to do is restart the car and the gas engine will start up again. No need to walk.

[post="28841"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

From CBS News:

All the reports said the engine shut down without warning. About half said the vehicle wouldn't restart and required a tow after the engine shut off.

Get to walkin buddy! :P

Yeah... let me look those up so I can post about the Toyota Recall since you're discussing their recalls in this one...  ^_^

You're so quick to bring us the latest Toyota news. I'm shocked that Josh beat you to posting this topic?

[post="28813"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry to have shocked you, I have little interest in recall threads, and haven't posted 2IS breakdown pricing, or de-camo'd Camry spy pics, I wasn't first to post the LS concept thread either.

Yeah... let me look those up so I can post about the Toyota Recall since you're discussing their recalls in this one...  ^_^

Look what up? GM's own recall was never posted . But you can join the circle and bash on Toyota, problem is that won't really assist GM getting through the yr.

Sorry to have shocked you, I have little interest in recall threads, and haven't posted 2IS breakdown pricing, or de-camo'd Camry spy pics, I wasn't first to post the LS concept thread either.
Look what up? GM's own recall was never posted .  But you can join the circle and bash on Toyota, problem is that won't really assist GM getting through the yr.

[post="28981"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm also sorry to disappoint, but I don't have any interest to target Toyota for bashing. However, if I wanted to do that, I'd probably do it in a Toyota fan forum to show my appreciation for all your hard work here at C&G. ^_^

It gets old constantly seeing "Sure this is bad, but GM is worse" in every topic posted with negative PR about a GM competitor.

And, yes, bashing a competitor doesn't help GM survive. Your negative GM rhetoric doesn't contribute to the degradation of GM's situation either. So both sides are even.
Enjoy! :CG_all:

I'd probably do it in a Toyota fan forum to show my appreciation for all your hard work here at C&G. ^_^

[post="29019"][/post]

Hardly what I consider work, I'm taking a break when I get online.

It gets old constantly seeing "Sure this is bad, but GM is worse" in every topic posted with negative PR on a GM competitor.

[post="29019"][/post]

Almost like constantly pointing out other brands shortcomings to bolster your own.

Your negative GM rhetoric doesn't contribute to the degradation of GM's situation either.

[post="29019"][/post]

What negative rhetoric, or is this how you generalize all non-rabid GM fans?

Apparently you haven't seen the commercials...

[post="29038"][/post]

nope, don't watch TV, I get my dose for senseless drama/entertainment right here
Posted Image

Almost like constantly pointing out other brands shortcomings to bolster your own.

That's not my normal practice. I usually stick with the manufacturer that the topic is discussing.

What negative rhetoric, or is this how you generalize all non-rabid GM fans?

[post="29042"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How I generalize non-rabid GM fans? You? A GM fan? :huh:
It's how I describe the non-rabid Toyota fans.
You're not a troll… but you're no GM fan by any definition.

Check out this nonsense over at one of the Toyota boards:

It's not a recall. It's a TSB.

Sorta like how early 02 Camrys got a TSB for the washer fluid buoy.

There's a huge difference between a washer fluid buoy and an engine stalling. I guess calling it a "Service Bulletin" is a little more gentle for their virgin ears. TSB is Toyotaspeak for "recall."

The significance of a Toyota or Honda recall is largely because they have this mythical reputation for quality.  Bringing up a domestic manufacturer's recall notices is faulty comparison.  Last time I looked, the domestics didn't charge a premium price for a supposed better vehicle.

[post="28830"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, the domestics either have to cut $5,000 off the MSRP of their cars or sell them at the employee price. ^_^

As much as I hate most Hondas I'd rather have a Insight then a Prius. No quesion in my mind there.

Why start a new topic... LA Time's story on the recall:

2:43 PM PDT, October 13, 2005
Software Glitch Triggers Toyota Prius Recall
By James F. Peltz, Times Staff Writer

In what's believed to be the first recall of hybrid cars for engine-related problems, Toyota Motor Corp. said today that it is notifying about 75,000 owners of its hot-selling Prius about a potential software glitch that could cause the car to stall or shut down.

The voluntary recall dented the good reliability record of the Prius, whose sales have jumped in the past two years as drivers sought better fuel economy in the face of soaring gasoline prices.

The problem involves the hybrid's computer software, rather than mechanical parts, and it first came to light in May when the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it was investigating consumers' gripes stalls and shutdowns in the car's gas-electric engines.

"We have a total of 428 complaints, but no crashes or injuries," said NHTSA spokesman Rae Tyson. He said Toyota made the decision to contact owners to fix the problem, which involves 2004 and 2005 models.

"We're satisfied that their remedy is going to take care of the problem," he said. As a result, "we intend to close our investigation" and Toyota is "to be commended" for the voluntary recall, Tyson said.

Although there have been two other recalls of the Prius, neither involved the hybrid-engine system, which uses complex electronics and computer programming to make the car's separate gas engine and electric drive motor work together smoothly.

Asked if this was the first time an automaker had recalled cars for problems directly related to hybrid-engine technology, Tyson replied: "Without doing exhaustive research, in my recollection, it's the first."

Toyota will notify Prius owners by mail that they can take the car to a dealership for free repairs, said Allison Takahashi, a spokeswoman at Toyota's Torrance-based U.S. operation.

"Most of the time it's just a warning-light coming on," but the gasoline portion of the gas-electric hybrid engine "occasionally" cuts off, she said.

If there is a stall, "you still have your electric motor and your brakes and your steering, so the driver can pull over" away from traffic, Takahashi said.

The NHTSB has not received similar complaints from drivers of other models of hybrid vehicles, Tyson said. Other automakers, including Honda Motor Co. and Ford Motor Co., also have rolled out hybrid models as demand for the fuel-efficient cars has increased.

Toyota does not expect the software problem to slow sales of the Prius, Takahashi said. "Demand for vehicles that have lower emissions and high gas mileage will still continue," she said.

Jim Hossack, a consultant at the research firm AutoPacific Inc. in Tustin, agreed that the problem wouldn't curb enthusiasm for the Prius. One reason: Toyota has a long record of building reliable vehicles, he said.

"It is a new technology and they will be forgiven," Hossack said.

Introduced in the U.S. five years ago, the Prius triggered the popularity of hybrid vehicles, especially this year as gasoline prices surged to $3 a gallon. Demand is so high that some dealerships have waiting lists.

Toyota sold 53,991 Prius cars in 2004 and had sold 81,042 this year through Sept. 30, and the automaker expects to sell 110,000 for all of this year. New models have a base price of $21,275 but often sell for thousands of dollars more due to the strong demand.

The car also has been praised for its quality and reliability. In May, the auto-research firm J.D. Power & Associates named the Prius the top compact car in the firm's annual initial-quality survey.

Im with bow tie dude

TOYOTA DIE!!!!!! :Toyota: :Toyota: :Toyota: :Toyota: :Toyota: :Toyota: :Toyota:

I think i got my point across.

That is strange that out of the millions of cars made only the Pirus has the problem.

Volintary recall!! It should be mandatory recall i car stalling for any reason is bad unless its because you dont know how to drive a stick.

I saw the best Hybrid system today it has Zero emissions and it requires no gas!!

Posted ImagePosted Image

The higher the horse the harder the fall.

I'll be mentioning this next time a friend/coworker/relative mentions the 'fantastic' Prius. But like FoG said this wil be hushed up and forgotten unlike any recall GM has had, or ever will have.

[post="28903"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My mother in law just purchased a Prius becuase of the Toyota quality all the green "PR" stuf despite me trying to disuade her from purchasing it in place of a better alternative. This will be fun to tell her, sort of a "I told you so". On a positve note she gave me her commuter 1992 Coralla AWD wagon, so now I can return my 1993 Trans Am to garage queen status and stop piling on all those miles. Now it's time for the serious power mods and suspension changes on my baby, as well as a repaint because of some a**hole who keyed the entire drivers side of the car. Anybody know of 1996 -1997 ram air car thats being parted out, I need the ram air hood?

"It is a new technology and they will be forgiven," Hossack said. They will be forgiven because of the supposed bullet proof reliability, while the domestics would be hung out because that is to "be expected from the big 2.5". It seems people can not accept the possibility that the carefully nurtured reputation of Toyota is at stake and the possibility that Toyaota may experience more recalls as they try to become the number 1 in world sales. Will the media continue to give Toyota the benefit of the doubt at that point? And don't get me started on Toyota quality concerning our experience with our Lexus RX 300. Toyotas are not all the media claim them to be.