GM @ SEMA: Saturn Astra Tuner Concept

Chris_Doane

GM @ SEMA
Saturn Astra Tuner Concept
For release: Oct. 29, 2007, 12:01 a.m. EDT

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

With its lean, taught bodywork stretched over a long wheelbase and wide track, the all-new Saturn Astra has an undeniably sporty stance. Fortunately, its European-inspired driving dynamics and energetic 1.8L Ecotec engine back up those aggressive good looks with commensurate performance, making the Astra prime material for all-out tuner treatment. Saturn got the ball rolling at SEMA with the Astra Tuner, a concept vehicle that applies some of the latest bolt-on performance and appearance components to show what’s possible with this all-new compact. The Astra Tuner is based on a production XR three-door and features approximately 20 more horsepower and a lowered ride height. Numerous exterior enhancements – including 19-inch wheels –give the car a racier look. It may be the first, but this unique Saturn certainly won’t be the last personalized Astra.

Vehicle highlights:
• Astra XR three-door
• 1.8L Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder with approximately 160 horsepower, via exhaust header, cold-air intake and modified throttle body
• Five-speed manual transmission
• Lowered ride height
New front and rear fascia extensions
• New grille surround finish
• Tinted headlamps, taillamps and windows
• Rear center-outlet exhaust
• Production side moldings deleted
• High-performance Recaro seats
• Unique interior trim
• Unique sill plates and parking brake handle

GM Accessories (production and concept)
• OPC 19-inch wheels (concept)
• OPC rockers (concept)
OPC rear spoiler
• GMA pedals (part number 93183691)
• Blaupunkt sound system

I actually like this. I can see the Astra winning over compact tuners. I think GM finally got it right with Astra. The tuner crowd is a large legitimate market after all, and GM doesn't have a lot of presence in that arena. It's good for GM to finally have a compact car that can fit the part. It's also under the correct brand for the job! Bravo GM!

Nice raid on the OPC and SRi( groundFx) parts bins , too bad they forgot the HP . 160 is weaksauce batman . The color is sweet , the seat fabric however... is certainly not .

Lame.

Wonder if the HHR SS motor would fit in there?

Opel Astra GTC does that job in Europe since 2005.

Those seats are horrible. Exterior is fantabulous yet simple. I hope this car does not end up being a rice mobile.

Opel Astra GTC does that job in Europe since 2005.

Those seats are horrible. Exterior is fantabulous yet simple. I hope this car does not end up being a rice mobile.

160hp? Thats not SRi Turbo horsepower! Still, nice effort but I would've thought the OPC parts bin has a lot more to offer them. It SHOULD'VE been a VXR/OPC for chrissakes!

160hp? Thats not SRi Turbo horsepower! Still, nice effort but I would've thought the OPC parts bin has a lot more to offer them. It SHOULD'VE been a VXR/OPC for chrissakes!

We were talking about the 2.0DI turbo which is going to be in the HHR SS and is the same mill in the GTC.

It SHOULD'VE been a VXR/OPC for chrissakes!

Maybe u meant to word it like that on purpose ? ...if not , OPC and VXr are the same thing . OPC goes to Opel in England and VXR is Vauxhall in the UK and Holden in AU .

Who cares what engine it has? It's just a concept, though some of the features could probably become accessories. Regardless, it doesn't matter whether this particular vehicle has the LNF or has no engine at all since it's a concept.

Good chance it's not so much a concept though. Aside from the cat puke seats of course.

Good chance it's not so much a concept though. Aside from the cat puke seats of course.

Still, that doesn't necessarily mean that if produced, it's going to have this same engine. There's nothing preventing them from putting the 2.0 turbo in aside from getting it approved in the vehicle. Just because the concept has the 1.8 doesn't mean the production version has to. That's what I was getting at.

So how much of this would make it to production? They wouldn't offer things like a cold-air intake from the factory, would they?

-RBB

Personally, I don't think we'll see any of this from the factory. Maybe a few dealer options, or GM offered aftermarket parts.

Maybe u meant to word it like that on purpose ? ...if not , OPC and VXr are the same thing . OPC goes to Opel in England and VXR is Vauxhall in the UK and Holden in AU .

Right on! I did, seeing that i'm eyeing off a Astra SRi Turbo here at home at the moment. I just can't understand that for a SEMA car, that Saturn didn't try harder. Then against, at least they made an effort!