Could this hint at the next LS?

Northstar

Found this while searching the web:

Posted Image

I haven't seen it yet, so correct me if it's already debuted or something.

It's a Lexus hybrid concept that I assume is debuting at Tokyo. I don't have any info on it other than that though. Isn't the Lexus there supposed to hint at the next LS? If so, this should be pretty accurate I think.

I'm not sure I like it because it looks just like a big IS, and I don't think the LS should look like an IS on steroids. I'd rather it looked like a big GS than a big IS.

EDIT: here's a little blurb from a press release.

Tokyo, October 12, 2005 — Lexus announced today that it plans to display its "Flagship Sedan Concept Car" and two other new concept vehicles; the GS450h, a premium sedan fitted with a newly developed hybrid system, and the LF-A, a premium, two-seater sports car, at the 39th Tokyo Motor Show. The show will be open to the public from October 22 to November 6 at the International Convention Complex (Makuhari Messe) in Makuhari, Chiba.

i know this car will probably be a technological whiz and will participate in an EPIC battle with the lame 7-series and the new S-Class but toyota still can't design their way out of a box and their LS600h - won't hybrids suffer in the long run with resale value? the second owner is going to have to deal with buying all new batteries and possibly a faulty system?

I saw that picture of the LS on autoweek, and I still don't think it is distinctive enough, and it's a rip-off of a lot of BMW cues. Check out that profile, it's all 5-series, and in the rear especially it looks like the 5. For a Lexus, it's nice enough I guess. But the design does nothing to motivate me to purchase it, and especially at the price this car will be going for I'd choose an A8 or 7-series over it. I think even the new DTS is more stately looking than this warmed over IS.

I saw that picture of the LS on autoweek, and I still don't think it is distinctive enough, and it's a rip-off of a lot of BMW cues. Check out that profile, it's all 5-series, and in the rear especially it looks like the 5. For a Lexus, it's nice enough I guess. But the design does nothing to motivate me to purchase it, and especially at the price this car will be going for I'd choose an A8 or 7-series over it. I think even the new DTS is more stately looking than this warmed over IS.

[post="29502"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

in the market for a $70k premium lux sedan?

the warmed over passat A8 styling is already dated, along w/ its bloated weight and 2nd rate engineering make it a lame duck

the LS460, LS600h will set the standard for this segment.

to me it looks like it's just a sleeker looking impala, ....just a difference where the rear door ends, and looks like a shorter length from the rw to the bumper.... anyone else see it, ......i don't really pay attention to previous lexus style...

[post="29515"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's a very bold statement... It's still a while till the car is officially revealed.

In the newspaper article, I see they took the Aristo (i.e. previous gen GS) and warmed the design a bit.

Wow another BMW wannabe. Why does every luxury car have this same plain slab sided look. No character line or door molding. These so called luxury cars are going to look utterly stupid in a few years with 20 door jams on each side after they get subjected to grocery store parking lots. I'm just waiting to see when BMW eliminates door handles period so the cars look even more blah. Press a button a presto your door may or may not open! After all BMW's quality hasn't been up to par lately.

I agree with the sentiment of Lexus and many other automakers adopting that clean, slab-sided look that Chris Bangle originated on the BMW 7-Series. Even the STS suffers from it. As for this new Lexus concept, it is handsome, but slab-sided. It does look like a bigger IS in many respects, but the rear is somewhat Saab 9-3-like.

It reminds me a lot of the 7-Series, but it's less out-there. Personally I think it's a bit boring, but definetly better than the current LS.

Does anyone else think the hood is out of proportion with the rest of the car in this pic?

Posted Image

[post="30946"][/post]

No, I think the proportions are damn good on this car, but then they would be since they are an almost direct copy from the 5-series.

Lexus' adaptation of the Bangle butt is also very well executed here, I like it a lot. The design is very sporty and the inset headlights are a really nice touch. Lexus/Toyota really know how to keep design consistency over the generation while updating the designs.

But this still doesn't even come close to matching the stately elegance and refined performance look of the A8 or even the 7-series, those cars styling tricks are overall much more daring and original but still incredibly executed. The overtones of S-class in the front are still not completely absent and become even more apparent with the new headlights, overall this won't come close to being style trendsetter.

the warmed over passat A8 styling is already dated, along w/ its bloated weight and 2nd rate engineering make it a lame duck

[post="29515"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And now the LS looks like a warmed over Phaeton. Yep, new standard. :rolleyes:

At least the A8 looks like an Audi, which is what it is.

It seems like Lexus's new styling identity, L-Finesse, essentially exploits a few traits that found its way onto older Lexuses, and combines them all into one cohesive package. The Grand Prix-like rear window and rear door cutline came from the ES, and the curve of the door skins came from the SC. I guess the grille design (square edge + squircle interior) and front fender design (flat topped) are the original cues found on the LF-S concept.

What's going on with these tail lights? I mean, original yes, good no. Do they really stick out 2 inches?

Posted Image

The rest of it looks pretty plain to me. The head on view looks kinda cool, but from a diagonal POV it looks like every other one, which isn't bad. I wouldn't call it original.