Toyota @ SEMA: 2009 Corolla

regfootball

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another styling dud from Toyota. All GM bias aside, the designs from this company need to step up a notch if they want to stay competitive. Especially now that a lot of people are catching on to the fact that Toyotas aren't as well built as they used to be.

Now, this isn't ugly. But it doesn't stand out in a segment that is getting increasingly competive. You know you have a big fight up ahead when all major automakers including the Americans are devoting billions of dollars to new compact platforms and the vehicles that ride on them.

If someone put the photo of the new Corolla before today and called it a "modified camry", I would've believed them until I took a closer look. Most non-enthusiasts would have an even harder time telling the difference without a size comparison to the actual camry.

The interior looks better then the one in the current Corolla but still looks outdated compared to interiors from Honda and Mazda.

Honda execs are giving a sigh of relief and I hope that GM will take advantage of this and put that 4 Billion dollars they're spending on the new Delta platform to good use.. especially on the Cobalt.

i feel like they tried to make it look like a civic... but then remembered that they are toyota and not honda... so they threw a bunch of camry parts on it to cover it up

This is the "edgier" design they had to delay the car two years for?

I totally agree. I thought Toyota delayed releasing the redesigned Corolla because they thought it looked too dated after they saw the redesigned Civic. Well, it still looks dated. I don't really see it as a redesign. It looks like they just restyled the current car with a new front end and slightly altered rear design. The profile really didn't change at all. This is pitiful. The Mazda3 has been on the market since the 2004 model year and looks a thousand times more current than this car. I'm not really fond of the current Civic sedan or Sentra, but I would choose these cars before I would consider the "redesigned" Corolla. I don't want to see any more negative posts about the 2008 Focus (which I don't care for either) from any Toyota fans after seeing this disgraceful lump of metal. To me, it seems like Toyota unsuccessfully followed Ford's playbook (which would explain the Ford grille treatment on the SEMA version).

To top it off, this same design has been on sale in other territories outside the U.S. for quite a while now. Again I ask, "Why the blasted delay to not offer anything new or exciting?"

I haven't seen the redesigned Matrix yet, but I hope that it fared better than this joke.

That is word for word what went through my mind when I saw the images.

As a matter of fact, when I found it on Autoblog, I figured there was some sort of mistake, and that we were looking at Japan's Corolla, because they waited 2 years for a more edgy one here.

And the interior? That's the XLE interior? That's supposed to be upscale? It doesn't even have chrome doorhandles. What about putting some faux aluminum trim on the steering wheel and center console like in the "sporty" S trim?

Big disappointment... not that I was expecting something amazing, just better.

And another thing... even though this monstrosity will sell, the Mazda3 owns this race in terms of style. I don't think anyone comes close.

We need a new Cobalt... although I like the current one, I'm confident GM can turn out a stunner that will knock the Corolla on its ass.

Civic will always have a huge following... there are just so many ways to rice it out.

I haven't seen the redesigned Matrix yet, but I hope that it fared better than this joke.

Both the "New" Corolla and Matrix are on Toyota's official website. The Matrix fares a little better than the Corolla, but I still can't say that I am impressed with it either. The Mazda3 5-door has nothing to worry about from the Matrix.

Some good news is the availability of the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine (the 1.8 liter 4 cylinder is standard) and AWD on the Matrix (the 2.4 liter engine is also an upgrade on the Corolla). I don't recall seeing any information about the auto transmission that will be available with the 2.4 liter engine (I might have overlooked it). Both the Corolla and Matrix will have rear disc brakes and a tilt/telescoping steering wheel also. So there is a little good news to balance out both cars' bland/lame appearances.

If the recent picture of the Pontiac Vibe is accurate, I would wait for this vehicle to come out instead of purchasing a Matrix. I would expect the Vibe to receive the same upgrades as the Matrix. When combining these upgrades with the Pontiac's superior appearance, I would buy it instead of the Matrix.

Edited by cire

Yes, well they were actually going to take the '08 Corolla and carry it over to '09 and just say it's different in the hopes that people will believe them. But I guess people caught on so they had to change the head/tail lights slightly and remove the side molding.

Um...you sure that isn't a Mazda Protege?

Yes, I do get that vibe in certain angles too. Just a more rounded version of the Protege.

And another thing... even though this monstrosity will sell, the Mazda3 owns this race in terms of style. I don't think anyone comes close.

We need a new Cobalt... although I like the current one, I'm confident GM can turn out a stunner that will knock the Corolla on its ass.

Civic will always have a huge following... there are just so many ways to rice it out.

The Mazda3 has good styling, but doesn't own anything. It is conservative, like the GTI (which I think looks better), and also a bit dated looking (dare I say boring?). The Civic, IMBO, looks newer and more edgy than the Mazda3, but is quite polarizing. I think the Civic Coupe wins in terms of styling for compacts available here.

I thought I posted already but whatever.

I like the interior.

I think the exterior looks way to close to the current cr. It looks like it had ne front and rear fascias and that's it. I hate the bulging head and tail light lenses and the front lights droop down too low and make teh car look more frumpy and ugly than it needs to be.

Looks like a facelift. They could've fixed the rear 3/4... it's horrendous, which is sad b/c it looks like the current car. I think it's ugliness will alienate the 50-something emptynesters who bought the previous gen which, for all it's shortcomings, was a pleasing, unoffensive looking car.

This begs you to buy a Civic.

As a more critical observation, this just goes to show how little relevance Toyota has in the youth market anymore. They've completely given up on trying themselves and are relying solely on Scion as the banner division for hip, sporty styling. For Scion, that means the 'anti-brand' has been annexed into the large boring empire.

Looks like a facelift. …

It is. Oh, there are a few more upgrades than in a typical MCE, but it's far from "all-new".

The 2.4 gets a 5-speed manual or auto, and less power and highr fuel consumption than a Cobalt 2.4 with a 4-speed auto. Oh, and did anyone notice? the 1.8 L has a 4-speed auto. When is GM going to realize they need a 6-speed auto to be competitive. Oh, wait, my mistake, this is a Toyota, a 4-speed must be the latest development in transmission technology. They'll upgrade to a 3-speed 2010 and really blow the competition away.

It is. Oh, there are a few more upgrades than in a typical MCE, but it's far from "all-new".

The 2.4 gets a 5-speed manual or auto, and less power and highr fuel consumption than a Cobalt 2.4 with a 4-speed auto. Oh, and did anyone notice? the 1.8 L has a 4-speed auto. When is GM going to realize they need a 6-speed auto to be competitive. Oh, wait, my mistake, this is a Toyota, a 4-speed must be the latest development in transmission technology. They'll upgrade to a 3-speed 2010 and really blow the competition away.

132hp and 4-speed auto; Toyota is going all out with this one!

EPA numbers (preliminary) of 27/35 seem alright. If that is for the 5-speed manual, then the automatic will likely get 25/33. Both are less than the current model.

The 2.4L mileage is indeed very sad, especially for the low output: 158hp & 22/30 mpg. 2.4L equipped Accords with either 177 (base) or 190 (EX) horsepower engines both get 22/31 with manual trans, and 21/31 with automatic.

Tell me, where is all the profit that Toyota is making going? Because it certainly isn't going into new product development, or powertrain development for that matter.

Edited by siegen

The 2.4 is the same as the one found in the tC and it is horrific in gas mileage. Cobalt 2.4 is much better and lot fun to drive.

Tell me, where is all the profit that Toyota is making going? Because it certainly isn't going into new product development, or powertrain development for that matter.

Toyota's profit goes into buying US T-Bills, HH and EE T-Bonds. See they are investing in our country.

Actually it could be worse. But it is still very ugly. Then again after the Yaris anything is better right. Toyota better realize there new cars the Turd, Camry, Corolla, and Highlander have all gone down the tubes in terms of styling. What an ugly car something about the porportions isn't right.

The interior with the navigation system seems less boring. Simple and clean, rather than complicated Civic one.

The gages look lifted from 1990's.

But 5-speed manual and 4-speed Automatic?

Some those very same people on the autoblog who bash cobalt for its looks, love the desgin of this thing. :nono:

It seems like this Toyota platform has been hardly modified from the previous one.

It looks better than the current one, it is a good blend of Camry and Yaris, so it fits right in. I don't like the styling on any Toyota, I think they are all ugly, but the Toyota faithful will like this car, and they got a better engine option finally and 5 speed auto optional, so it will be competitive for sure. Probably isn't a better car than the Civic but it will outsell every other compact because it is a Toyota. The current, really dated Corola is the #3 selling car in the country, I am sure this one will maintain that spot.

Standard Toyota practice. A redesign every 4-5 years, but a new larger platform every 2nd model change. Next gen midsize rwd sedans (previewed at Tokyo) keep the current platform, but get new bodies. This Corolla is only cosmetically different, under the skin it's no wider and no longer. The most dramatic structural difference is the rake of the A-pillar (the bottom has been pushed forward). GM did more with the latest Astra, and they don't even pretend it's "all-new" as Toyota does with this. Just be glad you don't get the Japanese version.

The interior with the navigation system seems less boring. Simple and clean, rather than complicated Civic one.

The gages look lifted from 1990's.

But 5-speed manual and 4-speed Automatic?

Some those very same people on the autoblog who bash cobalt for its looks, love the desgin of this thing. :nono:

It seems like this Toyota platform has been hardly modified from the previous one.

The gauges are simple, but at least electroluminescent, so it gives them a more upscale appearance when lit.

As for the 4-speed auto, most cars in this class have that. A 5-speed auto is available on the Corolla XRS.

What's with the new fad (Camry, Accord and now Corolla) of stretching the tail lamps and headlights around the side and halfway down the quarter panels? It's ugly as sin.

Standard Toyota practice. A redesign every 4-5 years, but a new larger platform every 2nd model change. Next gen midsize rwd sedans (previewed at Tokyo) keep the current platform, but get new bodies. This Corolla is only cosmetically different, under the skin it's no wider and no longer. The most dramatic structural difference is the rake of the A-pillar (the bottom has been pushed forward). GM did more with the latest Astra, and they don't even pretend it's "all-new" as Toyota does with this. Just be glad you don't get the Japanese version.

I remember GM got bashed when they called the Impala all new in 2006. What is this? Like you mentioned, the platform is the same, the dimensions are within an inch. Just different body moldings. Enhancing an existing platform which is already good is fine, but I fail to see any mention of increase in the structural rigidity, or torsional resistance in the press release. Yet this will be the darling of Toy humpers.

132hp and 4-speed auto; Toyota is going all out with this one!

EPA numbers (preliminary) of 27/35 seem alright. If that is for the 5-speed manual, then the automatic will likely get 25/33. Both are less than the current model.

The 2.4L mileage is indeed very sad, especially for the low output: 158hp & 22/30 mpg. 2.4L equipped Accords with either 177 (base) or 190 (EX) horsepower engines both get 22/31 with manual trans, and 21/31 with automatic.

Oh it is. They may be behind GM in Dual-VVT 4-cylinders, but you have to remember they have more models around the world to pay for (getting close to 30 MPVs of different sizes), and lots of engines and product you don't see here. Toyota spent all their money on CVTs for subcompacts and compacts, so they don't have a 5-/6-speed for this class of car, and apparently TMS doesn't have Nissan's faith in the American buyer's willingness to adapt to a transmission that doesn't shift when you expect it to.

The gauges are simple, but at least electroluminescent, so it gives them a more upscale appearance when lit.

As for the 4-speed auto, most cars in this class have that. A 5-speed auto is available on the Corolla XRS.

I agree with 4-speed Paoli. I was being sarcastic, as edmunds had once mentioned, when GM decided to put 6-speeds in the mid-sizers, saying that most of the smaller cars come with 5-speeds or more.

Gages are simple no doubt, but at least they could have put in some better design touch.