Up Close and Personal with the All-New 2008 Malibu

Our first one hit the lot last night...base LS, dark grey, MSRP of 20,XXX.

Looks great for a 'base' unit---actually, it makes the old 'bu and the current Impala look a little dowdy. I think this thing will sell, but I still have real concerns about its overall cannabalization of the Impala sales.

Great job, GM, regardless.

to those who haven't checked one out. you gotta see it in the flesh to understand. it's not so much about the quality of the materials and that, it has more to do with the design concept for the interior is so strong and so interesting that the interior materials don't have to be Lexus quality. It's a very intimate interior, and the twin cowl design is what is unique and inviting. Little things like the graining of the leather and splotchy coloring of it are what is fun. The gauges behind the steering wheel, you don't grasp how cool looking and three dimensional it is until you see it in the flesh. I can only imagine at night with the ambient blue light its even cooler.

Camry sucks. The Accord interior looks dated by 10-15 years in comparison, even though its plastics and fit quality might be better. There really isn't any of the dull 90's matte black thing going on in the Malibu's cabin. The Accord's cabin is bathing in that cheap matte black look. The Accord's cabin is like going back and listening to crappy 90's music like Dave Matthews or something in an endless loop. The malibu's cabin has an elegant futurism to it.

Accords cabin is airy and open. The Malibu's is more secluded and private feeling in comparison.

Edited by regfootball

You'd have to be visually impaired and/or mentally challenged to even consider the old car.

Unless you don't care what your car is like and just want a cheap car that's pretty big for the price.

But yeah, if someone asked 100 people which one looked better, 100 would have to say the new one.

You'd have to be visually impaired and/or mentally challenged to even consider the old car.

I'll be fair and say in SS trim with a black interior the old BU was passable. But still not a stopper.

My one interior bitch on the Malibu. The power window swtich on the door pillar f-king sucks. Get the damn think on the door as God intended. Don't even get me going on the HHR and G8 window switches.

In LTZ form it looks amazing in person (the exterior), better than the CTS perhaps, for sure better than any Buick or Pontiac. That picture of the white base model, with cheap wheels and black plastic rear view mirror looks bad though, I hope they don't produce a ton of base models for the rental companies and screw up a good looking car.

Edited by smk4565

The dealer nearby has a white 1LT 4-cylinder, which I test drove, and a black 3LT V-6. Overall, I liked the exterior design - even the 1LT, with its plastic chrome wheel covers and white paint - and I found the interior tolerable. Everything seems competitive with others in its class, though overall, it's not as comprehensive or impressive as the Lambdas, GMT900s, or CTS. Considering they couldn't start from a clean slate, it's a good effort.

Most of my complaints revolve around the interior and the parts it shares with older Epsilons. Things like window or mirror switches, buttons for the trunk release or power pedals, seat bases or the backrest angle lever, all predate the newfound attention to detail and overall product excellence of GM, and it shows. The fit-and-finish was fine, assembly quality was excellent in fact, but the collective ambiance of cutlines, cheap switchgear, harsh upholstery, generic radio/HVAC interface, and acres of deeply-grained plastic and silver paint lent a feeling of cheapness, compared to the low sheens and soft finishes of an Accord or Camry, IMO. The VUE's interior is nicer.

I also thought the front seats were a bit cardboardy, and the back seat wasn't too accommodating. There was lots of legroom, but the bottom cushion lacked thigh support, encouraging slouching. It's not as comfortable as the Accord or Camry's, IMO, and there's no center armrest or headrest (or grab handles, for that matter). Outward visibility and headroom could be better.

The powertrain is okay. It's sluggish at low revs - perhaps because of its tall gearing and four-speeds - but it's reasonably muted. There are very few vibrations. Shifts from the transmission are firm but not harsh.

Steering feel is unnatural, dead at times, but the average consumer probably doesn't care. I didn't like the shape of the wheel rim (I prefer something with rounder edges). Brake feel is good, once you've pushed past the initial "looseness" of the pedal assembly. In terms of driving dynamics, I prefer the Accord and Fusion.

The ride was smooth, the structure felt solid, and the cabin was very quiet.

So to drive, it's nothing special, and the interior has its faults. But most family sedan buyers can't be bothered to care about "driving sensations" and whatnot, and the immense power in the form of an optional V-6 is always enough to create a grin. Awesome styling, a low price, lots of equipment, a good warranty, and competitive specs make the Malibu a class leader, and I'd highly recommend one to anyone looking at an Accord or Camry.

I believe the Malibu buyer will not be someone looking to spend $2500-3000 just for a fancy screen. Who wants to rely on a 1 or 2 year old DVD to give maps when Turn by Turn (available through OnStar for only $199/year) will give them more accuate, up-to-date information at a *fraction* of the cost?

~ janette

:thumbsup:

Aftermarket screens aren't that expensive. Who is 'gouging' who?

My dealer has just received 2 new Bu's. Man does it make the outgoing model look bad!

I have a few pictures, but Ill show you one to illustrate...

Posted Image

The point is well made with the illustrations. Would you take the old model if they giving it away? Now that you've seen the 'promised land'?

so the BU i saw today had the brick/black interior. actually getting to sit in it got me closer to the fray and in brick the plastics did seem less nice than the cocoa/cashmere scheme. and the whole interior with the dark leather and dark plastics and such it just didn't resonate like the tan. to top it off, actually wedging myself in the car was a pain just like the aura. GM no longer builds cars for big and tall. it's a hassle to try and mount this car. it's low, narrow, and the roof and high sill intrudes. And you cannot get that steering wheel anywhere where you can easily get around it.

what then was odd was i went to the saturn dealer across the street right after and found myself really liking the light tan interior on the aura xr i wedged myself into.

so i guess all the malibu really has on the aura is the little bit nicer exterior.

the trunk in the malibu was embarassing. tiny, not high, hard to access. just like the new accord.

no doubt the malibu is a well done car but this example i looked at today really made me check my hype at the door and realize, yes, it still is a stopgap product with deficiencies. it does not make it a bad car at all. but i think if you enjoy the space in the current malibu, the confinement of the new one may be a change.

GM is getting really bad with this whole cars that don't fit thing. the grand prix with its pancake roof and tiny back seat. the lucerne which you have to wedge into under the a pillar. and all the tiny epsilon cars.

now i know why the w body lives on. it has the bases covered for those need something with a little more width, height, and such.

Edited by regfootball

I believe the Malibu buyer will not be someone looking to spend $2500-3000 just for a fancy screen. Who wants to rely on a 1 or 2 year old DVD to give maps when Turn by Turn (available through OnStar for only $199/year) will give them more accuate, up-to-date information at a *fraction* of the cost?

~ janette

:thumbsup:

Turn-By-Turn sucks......

And most Nav systems these days are GPS-based....not DVD-based.

I disagree.

There are numerous consumers out there in the marketplace, like me, that don't like the junky appearance and clutter of an aftermarket navigation system sitting in our car.

....and you'd buy a Malibu, right? :rolleyes:

to those who haven't checked one out. you gotta see it in the flesh to understand. it's not so much about the quality of the materials and that, it has more to do with the design concept for the interior is so strong and so interesting that the interior materials don't have to be Lexus quality. It's a very intimate interior, and the twin cowl design is what is unique and inviting. Little things like the graining of the leather and splotchy coloring of it are what is fun. The gauges behind the steering wheel, you don't grasp how cool looking and three dimensional it is until you see it in the flesh. I can only imagine at night with the ambient blue light its even cooler.

Camry sucks. The Accord interior looks dated by 10-15 years in comparison, even though its plastics and fit quality might be better. There really isn't any of the dull 90's matte black thing going on in the Malibu's cabin. The Accord's cabin is bathing in that cheap matte black look. The Accord's cabin is like going back and listening to crappy 90's music like Dave Matthews or something in an endless loop. The malibu's cabin has an elegant futurism to it.

Accords cabin is airy and open. The Malibu's is more secluded and private feeling in comparison.

And you have touched on my 3 biggest beefs with the new Malibu. It's smaller inside than the old one. It has a smaller trunk and trunk opening than the old one. Worse, it's interior feels cramped compared to even a Kia Optima. I'm still trying to figure out how they managed to LOSE interior space from 6 out of 8 dimensions and get a smaller shallower trunk with a smaller opening on a physically larger car on a longer wheelbase compared to the 2004-2007 generation Bu.

And you have touched on my 3 biggest beefs with the new Malibu. It's smaller inside than the old one. It has a smaller trunk and trunk opening than the old one. Worse, it's interior feels cramped compared to even a Kia Optima. I'm still trying to figure out how they managed to LOSE interior space from 6 out of 8 dimensions and get a smaller shallower trunk with a smaller opening on a physically larger car on a longer wheelbase compared to the 2004-2007 generation Bu.

They brought the W-body designer out of retirement?

Sorry for the lack of uploaded photos to image shack or photo bucket. On my next go-round I'll try and get those up there instead. (I was pressed for time since I was at work still... haha) That beautiful LTZ has already sold but we have received a nice 2LT in the New Golden Pewter Color and 2 more 1LS 'Bus. More pics to come including the elusive "popped hood" shot, my bad! :P

Hmmm....airy and open is good. One of the biggest complaints I've had with many cars today is poor outward visibility (some of the worst I've been in recently have been the HHR, Magnum, and 300). Big windows with plenty of visibility is a good thing.

thank you for noticing.

yes moltar, the HHR, magnum both feel limited in outward vis.

Bigger isn't better. The new Malibu is hands-down better than the previous one, despite the dimensions. The Camry & Accord got away with being smaller in the 1990's because they provided enough room for 4 passengers and 5 in-a-pinch. The new Malibu isn't "the largest" mid-size sedan out there (partially because the Accord sedan is no longer a mid-size sedan) but the Malibu doesn't have to be the largest to be successful at its mission.

When looking at the stats, the Malibu isn't as wide as some of its competition, but upon personal inspection it still provides plenty of room for most people and occasions. I had no problem getting comfortable in the new Malibu, nor did I have issues with the interior material quality like the last one. I wasn't embarrassed sitting inside the Malibu at the car show at all.

As a side note, I'm not saying the new Accord sedan is bad. It's put together well, but the result has no character. Nothing inside or out spoke to me saying,"THIS IS HONDA." It might as well have been a well-built car under a number of other brands. That's certainly not the case with the new Malibu. IMO, the Malibu has a very strong identity in the flesh (inside and out.)

the new bu is prob a good car for anyone 5'-9" and under, mostly chicks and thin / no beer ledge metrosexual guys who wear the flat front pants with comfort and still have room for the mail.

the bu is not a commodious car in the front for anyone of girth or like 5'-11 or taller.

my guess is the interior will be popular with smaller women up to 5'-6"/5'-7" who will find the fit just right and nicely intimate.

Edited by regfootball

the new bu is prob a good car for anyone 5'-9" and under, mostly chicks and thin / no beer ledge metrosexual guys who wear the flat front pants with comfort and still have room for the mail.

I was wondering who still bought pleated pants, thought they went out with double breasted suits and bleached jeans.

the bu is not a commodious car in the front for anyone of girth or like 5'-11 or taller.

my guess is the interior will be popular with smaller women up to 5'-6"/5'-7" who will find the fit just right and nicely intimate.

I'm 5'11" and found the Malibu's front seats perfectly roomy, but then again, I like being close to the pedals. I've never been in a modern car that didn't have enough room up front, MINI included. It's the rear seat I didn't like - not enough headroom, odd seat bottom angle, and poor visibility.

big windows is what you want? then i have the car for you!

a beautiful pacer!

Hmmm..well, that's taking it to extremes...I definitely don't like the large slab side with tiny windows trend that so many cars have today..

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm 6'2" and fit just fine. The 2008 Malibu has more front headroom and legroom than the 2008 Camry. :rolleyes:

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm 6'2" and fit just fine. The 2008 Malibu has more front headroom and legroom than the 2008 Camry. :rolleyes:

the door sill is high, the pillar is low and pushed very far back, and the steering wheel per usual GM is low and pushed far back and cannot be adjusted that well. trying to wedge yourself into the drivers seat is a bit of a gymnastics exercise, even compared to the focus or fusion or 07 bu. the cobalt is probably easier to get in and out of. the driver's seat is narrow and the console and beltline are high and overall the passenger space is narrow. Once you manage to get under the roof of the car, the headroom is fine, it just takes putting the seat way too low and far back and the steering wheel adjuster, well, you might as well reach down and scratch your butt while you're down there.

I just think a midsizer should have better access and girth and such. Of course I am spoiled considering all the room i have everyday.

the steering wheel thing is a problem on lots of GM cars. My Aztek has it, the inlaws 88 has it, parents seville and s-10 has it, even when i sample a lambda, the damn steering wheel is in your stomach and it comes out of the dash too low.

i don't know about import cars but the 00-07 focus had a steering wheel that was perfect size and in exactly the right spot and could be adjusted perfectly.

I will say this about the magnum loaner i had earlier this year. the steering wheel and seat relationship and cabin girth were all good. if those chryco products could lose the cabin claustrophobia they did have nice accomodations aside from the really dumb turn signals and cruise control.

GM really doesn't build commodious sedans anymore. the DTS might be the only one now. The Lucerne has the same ingress / egress issues as the Malibu, to a little lesser extent, but i guess it at least preserves the width. The CTS and STS are pains to get in and out of. People are becoming less tolerant of the low slung car thing.

Edited by regfootball

I just saw a commercial where the Malibu had a walkaround view, I sure hope it looks better in person.

It's not horrendous, but it isn't good enough looking to draw in people driving by glancing either. Maybe it looks better in person..?

I was disappointed.

I just saw a commercial where the Malibu had a walkaround view, I sure hope it looks better in person.

It's not horrendous, but it isn't good enough looking to draw in people driving by glancing either. Maybe it looks better in person..?

I was disappointed.

Im biased, but its a much more attractive car than the 08 Accord sedan, and on par (with better details) than the Camry.

Only angle where the new Malibu looks a bit awkward, is the rear. Those tailights are love it or hate it.

Im biased, but its a much more attractive car than the 08 Accord sedan, and on par (with better details) than the Camry.

Only angle where the new Malibu looks a bit awkward, is the rear. Those tailights are love it or hate it.

Looks better to me than a Camry or Accord too, but I'm biased also, I'm NOT an import fan usually....

:AH-HA_wink:

LOL

It's not "BAD" looking, but I think I've seen a concept Chevy that looked alot like the 1999 Charger concept somewhere, BOTH of those concepts I think would have drawn customers in just by looks alone....

I was disappointed.

Let's not forget that this segment of cars is one of the most conservative. I haven't seen one in the flesh yet, but certainly the pictures are quite exciting for THIS segment.