Saturn’s Revolution

Variance

Saturn’s Revolution: Why I think it’ll become GM’s hottest brand
-VarianceJ30

October 14, 2005

Posted Image

Debuting in 1990, Saturn was made to be General Motors’ lower-end import fighter. Saturns were a unique breed in many respects. With their spaceship-like styling and space age dent-resistant polymer body panels, one would think the name “Saturn” was indicative of where they came from. GM established a plant specifically for making Saturns, Spring Hill. They had unique engine and platform shared with no other GM vehicles. Lastly, the dealership experience at Saturn differed from everyone else in that they employed a “no-haggle” policy with their cars. Basically, the price you saw on the dealer sticker of a Saturn was what you paid. No more, no less.

However, as of late, Saturn has not been the most popular choice in the automotive marketplace. For the year to this date in 2005, Saturn sales have been down 1.9%. The Saturn Ion does not have a favorable design inside or out in the eyes of more than a few people. The Saturn Vue has recently been refreshed with an improved exterior and interior which is a good job since the previous ones were nothing to write home about. The Relay is Saturn’s newest vehicle on sale and it’s also the least “Saturn-like” car sold today. It is one of the four GM Crossover Sport Vans (CSVs), which compared to competitors’ offerings are disappointing on the whole.

However, an aura of change is emanating from Saturn and GM fans are looking to the sky and seeing a brighter outlook for the brand.

New Saturn products are on the horizon and they look very promising. The midsize Aura concept is a vast improvement over the mediocre at best L-Series sedans. The Aura employ sharp and handsome styling rivaling the Nissan Altima, Volkswagen Passat, and Mazda6 and trouncing the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, and Dodge Stratus.

Posted Image

The Aura’s interior is a sight to behold. It’s like stepping in the cockpit a neo sci-fi Euro-chic sedan. This is prefect since I feel that describes the Aura to a “T”. If the production version retains 85% of the concept’s good looks, I fully expect this car to sell quite well.

Posted Image

The Saturn Sky is in my opinion, the epitome of the phrase “of all time”. For starters, it has one of the best Saturn exteriors of all time. The Sky is the brother of the Pontiac Solstice and it’s not hard to see who Papa GM’s clear favorite is. Looking at the Sky is almost like looking at a mini-Me Corvette. I can honestly say I can find no design fault with the outside of this machine.

Posted Image

The Sky also has the best Saturn interior of all time. The concept showcased a gorgeous red and black contrasting two-seat leather interior. This is accented with stylish black piano wood and aluminum trim. Hell, this may be one of the best General Motors interiors of all time and the way I see it, the Sky may be the quickest selling Saturn of all time.

Posted Image

The Outlook is the third member of the new Saturn trifecta. It is based off of GM’s Lambda architecture and is planned to have an available V8 engine. It is intended to battle with the likes of the Toyota Highlander and VW Touareg. Outside of a couple of teaser photos, not much is known about what this vehicle will look like. However, if the Sky and Aura are anything to go by, the Outlook should be attractive inside and out.

Posted Image

Saturn will never have had a stronger lineup than it will have when these new cars start hitting dealer lots next year. Now, some of the Saturn “uniqueness” is lost with these products. Future Saturns will no longer have the dent-resistant panels (this started with the Relay) and they are on platforms shared with other GM makes. However, the crucial part of the Saturn experience will remain and will ensure these vehicles success (as if they need any help): the no-haggle dealerships. This ensures that the hot new Sky won’t subject to “market adjustments” in price.

Saturn: A Planetary Revolution.

Edited by VarianceJ30

IF GM really does take from Opel and does little suspension, engine, etc. changes, I think Saturn will be a huge hit again.  They key will be how much they "Americanize" the brand line.

[post="28726"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's funny how much GM is willing to embrace Saturn, but how little it is willing to do to save buick and pontiac!

It's funny how much GM is willing to embrace Saturn, but how little it is willing to do to save buick and pontiac!

[post="28731"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Amazing, isn't it? It's a shame how easily they disregard yet another 100 yr. old. brand (Buick).

IF GM really does take from Opel and does little suspension, engine, etc. changes, I think Saturn will be a huge hit again.  They key will be how much they "Americanize" the brand line.

[post="28726"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are you saying that the shouldn't "Americanize" it much? If so, then I agree. Let Saturn me totally different from anything else GM has to offer.

I know... I'm just annoyed by the comment, itself. Not you. Mainly because it's probably true...

[post="28928"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hey, BV, cheer up... the Solstice is GORGEOUS on the road--I saw my first one last night--it looked like a much-more expensive car on the road than it does in pictures--and to be honest, with that design, I was like, "Wow... Go Pontiac Go!" ^_^

Oh... I know. I love its design. I think it looks better than the Sky. But, GM probably does love the Sky and Saturn more. Why else would Saturn be getting all this great product while the only Pontiac we've heard of is the G8 and GTO. Both of which are pretty sketchy... I just don't like it and think it will lead to the demise of Pontiac instead of the brand that deserves it.

Oh... I know. I love its design. I think it looks better than the Sky. But, GM probably does love the Sky and Saturn more. Why else would Saturn be getting all this great product while the only Pontiac we've heard of is the G8 and GTO. Both of which are pretty sketchy... I just don't like it and think it will lead to the demise of Pontiac instead of the brand that deserves it.

[post="29696"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, let's put it this way.. just be happy they're not getting as much attention as Buick is. I mean, I got all excited about the 3Billion invested, and we have the Lucerne, a great car... then... umm... ???? :huh:

[post="28731"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, that's. Sad but true in the most depressing kind of way.

If it were up to me I'd kill Saturn in a heartbeat... wouldn't shed a tear. The Saturn fans didnt; for Oldsmobile. <_<

Sky: Chevy "Stingray" or possibly Cadillac "XCR"/"SCC"

Aura: Pontiac "Grand Am" or "Tempest" or perhaps Buick Skylark.

Ion Quad coupe: Pontiac Sunfire or Rageous

The rest: down the shitter. In the circular file, 6 feet under...

I usually stay away from saturin only posts but I poped in to see what everyone had to say.

Its pretty clear by watching and gaugeing what GM people and real car people think of saturin. they are a "what for" brand. The real "Why job". Sales have always been non profitable. They are a money pit. Right now we have 2 - repeat - two body shells that are not creative but rather derived from other cars already in production. Two body shells and everyone is going all googly eyed ? Interiors ? googoo gaagaa, looks an awfull lot like Oldsmobile Alpha and GII Aurora to me, BFD, toot, toot ! Its like some not so good lookin girl went to the salon and had a makeover, now shes the queen of the ballroom, but you know what she has to go home and wash it all off. This is saturin, they have never turned a buck and we all know it. Never contributed to the huge GM machine but rather been sucking them dryer in these last 2 tuff decades. saturin was built on BOP, C&C rock and roll. The last dance was over years ago the floors are being swept and shes still hanging around, afraid to go home and wash off all the makeup.

For once, I agree with Sixty8 and Razor...

Have to say i agree too. SorrySaturn, I still see it as the poor replacement for the real division. Olds didnt need to take a powder.take the following;
Olds
Pontiac
Buick
Keep the top 3-4 selling name plates and dump the rest
no more cookie cutter rattle traps and bring up the quality.

sorry for the rant
Ion=Cutlass
Aura=Aurora/Intriuge
Sky=Starfire

I would have preferred that Olds had survived too. However, didn't Pontiac once replace Oakland in GM's line-up. Saturn ,like it or not, is Olds replacement. I wish it weren't true but, it is and it is becoming much more apparent the more I hear what Saturn is doing. I do hope that Pontiac & Buick is given lots of attention when the new Lambdas,Epsilons,& Chis come out. I can't wait for Zeta,or Sigma-lite,too.

If Gm starts to step up all of it's brands like it is doing with Saturn, then the companies problems would be over. Next, fix up Buick, redesign some of the Pontiacs, and bring back a classic nameplate from Chevy's past. Like the Chevelle. Or settle the battle with the Canadians and just build the new Camaro in Canada. Who cares it they are built up there? I don't. But really, they should bring back the Chevelle to combat the Charger, and the Camaro to kick the Mustangs but again. If Chevrolet would just tamper with the SS legacy and make a retro-styled Chevelle SS with....... Lets say, a 450hp LS6 like in the 70's, the Chargerwould be biting it's dust. Take that Dodge! And When the GMT900 trucks come out Chevy will return to #1 again!

Yah sorry for the rant guys. I was just in a funk about it thinking back.I do dig the ion and the sky and aura go without saying! I just need to chill i guess. Olds was very near and dear to my heart like alot of others. Plus i never ran a multi billion dollar corp either...........I just play one on T V! lol :P

It seems to me that GM is turning Pontiac into "nice, but affordable performance" where Saturn is just as "performance-oriented, but more upscale and pricey," for those that want to spend more. Which is something I don't have a problem with as I'd take a Cobalt SS/SC with cloth seats if it would knock a grande or so off the sticker. Saturn shouldn't and likely won't make Pontiac irrelevant anymore than the Lucerne makes the Impala irrelevant. Sharing a platform doesn't mean they're sharing a consumer target. GMs goal is to get you into a Chevy or Pontiac and as you get older and (hopefully) wealthier, you move up to more expensive Chevy's or Ponchos OR into a Saturn, Buick, or GMC. OR, if you happen to become very successful, into a Cadillac or Hummer. Seems well-thought-out to me. I'd take the cheaper Solstice over the Saturn any day...well, if the damn thing wasn't a ragtop.

I don't understand why people think that Saturn is taking the place of Oldsmobile. When I consider the lineup of Ion/Aura/Sky/Outlook/Vue/Relay, I really think that Saturn is GM's competitor for Honda, Mazda, and VW - sporty, import brands. Saturn's not getting anything comparable to the Aurora.

Seems well-thought-out to me.  I'd take the cheaper Solstice over the Saturn any day...well, if the damn thing wasn't a ragtop.

[post="35164"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

there is hard top coming out in 07/08 i believe. Also,I think saturn is turning the corner as becoming the full olds replacement in quality and price. If the brass wouldn't have waited to debute other models in the begining, imo,they would have been there alot sooner.opel is injecting some much needed design flair. Edited by prototype66

I don't understand why people think that Saturn is taking the place of Oldsmobile.  When I consider the lineup of Ion/Aura/Sky/Outlook/Vue/Relay, I really think that Saturn is GM's competitor for Honda, Mazda, and VW - sporty, import brands.  Saturn's not getting anything comparable to the Aurora.

[post="35264"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ion/alero
aura/intriuge
vue/bravada
outlook/too new ,no crossovers till equinox in 04/05
relay silouette
sl300/aurora

just my opinion naturaly. B)

ion/alero
aura/intriuge
vue/bravada
outlook/too new ,no crossovers till equinox in 04/05
relay silouette
sl300/aurora

just my opinion naturaly. B)

[post="35398"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ion - Civic/Mazda3/Jetta or Golf
Aura - Accord/Mazda6/lower end Passats (Aura uses Epsilon platform, and if Olds
had survived, the Alero replacement would have used Epsilon)
Vue - CR-V/Tribute
Outlook - Pilot/lower end Touareg
Relay - Odyssey
Sky - S2000/Miata

To my mind, there are many more parallels between Saturn and Honda, Mazda, and VW - especially Honda - than between Saturn and Oldsmobile. The Aura is closer in size to the Alero than the Intrigue. Had Saturn gotten big sedans on the W and G bodies and a SUV on GMT 360, then I would agree that Saturn replaced Oldsmobile.

Ion - Civic/Mazda3/Jetta or Golf
Aura - Accord/Mazda6/lower end Passats (Aura uses Epsilon platform, and if Olds
          had survived, the Alero replacement would have used Epsilon)
Vue - CR-V/Tribute
Outlook - Pilot/lower end Touareg
Relay - Odyssey
Sky - S2000/Miata

To my mind, there are many more parallels between Saturn and Honda, Mazda, and VW - especially Honda - than between Saturn and Oldsmobile.  The Aura is closer in size to the Alero than the Intrigue.  Had Saturn gotten big sedans on the W and G bodies and a SUV on GMT 360, then I would agree that Saturn replaced Oldsmobile.

[post="35494"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Exactly why GM changed the NAME from Olds to Saturn in the first place.
The line was mostly dated as the name was as well. old image in new image market. Therefore, revamp the entire line,change the name and eliminate the other line. You get to Saturn by riding a rocket! :P

I don't see Honda, Mazda, or VW in the same competing category-Honda seems more mainstream, a la Toyota and Chevrolet, just overpriced and overhyped, understyled and underequipped in volume DX/LX-model cases. Mazda seems slightly more premium, taking on Dodge and Pontiac in terms of affordable sportiness/performance-something Dodge and Pontiac don't seem to be doing too well on. I think Buick should compete more with Volkswagen-the Passat has a lot of features that LaCrosse doesn't-and should. I say that because they both have premium reputations to them-not full-blown Cadillac/Audi/BMW/Lexus/etc. luxury, but more than Chevy/Ford/Toyota/Honda. Acura might fit in the Buick/VW category as well. Saturn-honestly, I really don't know where they should be competing. European-based products (except for Relay and Outlok) is fine, but I just don't know where Saturn fits without overlapping Chevy, Pontiac, and Buick. Maybe its just me, but personally, I think more emphasis should be placed on those three aforementioned brands ahead of Saturn.

I consider Honda to be sportier than Toyota because a higher percentage of Hondas are sold with manual transmissions that with Toyota. Dodge is a macho brand with the Hemi, and I don't consider Mazda to be a competitor with Dodge. I do see VW as a natural competitor for Mazda and Honda. Edited by ehaase

NOTE TO AUTHOR... Nice topic... good points, and well laid out... only thing I notice; Cars, like boats, are always refered to as females... so when saying the solstice and the sky are brothers is very rude...  they are sisters  :P

[post="38487"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't tell that to the FBdofather. We had a lonnnnnnggggg discussion on this. He still insists some cars (especially powerful ones) sould be refered as male.

Don't tell that to the FBdofather. We had a lonnnnnnggggg discussion on this. He still insists some cars (especially powerful ones) sould be refered as male.

[post="38816"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

well... one might argue, the title muscle cant go with a female...

but gennerally.. I think after i finished polishing my Trans Am, to say "Wow HE is SOOO BEAUTIFUL" that would take away half the beauty to it...

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings