Where In The Hell...?!

What's illogical about it? You check the fluid through that tube, so why can't you add some through it?

That's why it's so wide as compared to the oil dipstick.

Stop bitching or we'll give you a BMW where you don;t even GET a dipstick! :P

All older GM cars (At least the 4 I have dealt with you fill the transmission through the dipstick tube. Not so illogical. Use a funnel and pour a little at a time and you will be fine. Which engine-transmission does this car have?

Dodgefan... good grief man... the trunk release is in the glovebox for security reasons... you can lock the glovebox and give the parking attendant the valet key.

Not to mention that most cars by that point had a remote trunk release on the key fob... which is right bloody in front of you most of the time you would need to pop the trunk... It is quirky though!

• 3 weeks later...

Dodgefan... good grief man... the trunk release is in the glovebox for security reasons... you can lock the glovebox and give the parking attendant the valet key.

Right, `cuz I keep 3 dead bodies and $1.2 million in the trunk, along with the secret to Toyota's success, the patents for a 27.3 speed automatic, and the secret of life... :P

No, I like having the trunk release within easy reach. Lots of cars these days lack a locking glovebox anyway.

No, I like having the trunk release within easy reach. Lots of cars these days lack a locking glovebox anyway.

Trunk release switch on dash behind wheel.

Kill switch in lockable glovebox.

Olds thinks of everything.

P.S. its better than those chessy, $h!ty handles Japanese cars have on the FLOOR?!?!?!

P.S. its better than those chessy, $h!ty handles Japanese cars have on the FLOOR?!?!?!

I guess my Grand Am was Japanese. :P

My Millenia has the trunk and filler door releases on the door panel as buttons. It works. I also agree... having the trunk release in the glovebox is pretty backwards.

Like I said thats how they did it then. Though the glove box on the 1985 is lockable. If the Bonneville would have had one it would be in the same place. Though the ones on these cars can only work if the ignition is on. I am pretty used to it though it is true they do place them better on this day and age. Moms on the 2007 Aveo being on the door is good. Still have to get used to releasing the gas cap on hers though. That one still gets me every now and then though it could keep somebody from siphoning gas out of it.

Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

I love how something new to somebody is illogical or stupid simply because it didn't smack them out of their sneakers in 0.1 seconds. No wonder the typical owner's manual is now 350 pages long, 300 pages of which is comprised of legally-mandated warnings and cautions.

Auto trans' have been filled via the dipstick tube for the majority of the history of the automatic. I cannot think of a single vehicle I've been under the hood of where the manufacuter decided TWO separate tubes leading down to the trans pan was more intuitive and technically necessary than 1.

Then again, as mentioned above: BMW feels even 1 is too many. NOW we have grounds for name-calling.

Same thing with the glove-box trunk release; it was put there to facillitate security. My '59 Buick & '64 Pontacs all had locking gloveboxes standard, tho I think the remote trunk release (in the glove box) for Pontiac first appeared in '64- none of mine had that option tho. Back when cars usually had a separate trunk key- this made all the sense in the world. Now with 1-key scenarios (so no one gets confused) and non-locking gloveboxes (so no one gets flustered), and the trunk release on the key fob (so no one loses it), I suppose the glovebox release can go away and take that crushing stress away from today's young motorists, thusly 'proving' how stupid it really and truely was. :rolleyes:

I love how something new to somebody is illogical or stupid simply because it didn't smack them out of their sneakers in 0.1 seconds. No wonder the typical owner's manual is now 350 pages long, 300 pages of which is comprised of legally-mandated warnings and cautions.

Auto trans' have been filled via the dipstick tube for the majority of the history of the automatic. I cannot think of a single vehicle I've been under the hood of where the manufacuter decided TWO separate tubes leading down to the trans pan was more intuitive and technically necessary than 1.

Then again, as mentioned above: BMW feels even 1 is too many. NOW we have grounds for name-calling.

Same thing with the glove-box trunk release; it was put there to facillitate security. My '59 Buick & '64 Pontacs all had locking gloveboxes standard, tho I think the remote trunk release (in the glove box) for Pontiac first appeared in '64- none of mine had that option tho. Back when cars usually had a separate trunk key- this made all the sense in the world. Now with 1-key scenarios (so no one gets confused) and non-locking gloveboxes (so no one gets flustered), and the trunk release on the key fob (so no one loses it), I suppose the glovebox release can go away and take that crushing stress away from today's young motorists, thusly 'proving' how stupid it really and truely was. :rolleyes:

I am in awe of this post. :lol:

You want quirky?

My Maserati had a lockable lever built in to the doorjamb for the trunk release.

Not everything that's out of the ordinary or different is stupid. High Beam switch on the floor is very clever for example. Having to reach across the dash is not so much. I guess I'm just spoiled by having the trunk release right in front of me on the lower driver's side dash, 1 key, a key fob, and a locking glovebox with a light. Guess I can have my cake and eat it too :P

My complaint about trans tubes is their location, at least on the cars I own. They all require a massive funnel to keep the fluid from spilling because the bottle neck can't reach the tube.

Edited by Dodgefan

I love how something old to someone is always automatically better and makes anyone saying otherwise young and stupid. Something new can't possibly be better. Doesn't matter if it's something silly like a trunk release located inside the glove box... or something unbeknown like filling the transmission via the dipstick tube. Thus, we must make a case against anyone who simply posts in favor of something else because we can't move on and everyone else is just young, naive, immature, and out to ruin our automotive morals. No wonder none of the supposedly better forms return after being replaced with an inferior form... They're out to get us! Run! Let's get those dumbasses who took away glovebox located trunk releases!!! Yeah!!!

Bitch, please. :rolleyes::P

Edited by blackviper8891

What's really annoying is not having a trunk "release" or "open" handle/switch/button on the trunklid itself.

Agreed...the Cobalt and Prizm lack a handle, but both trunks pop up easily so it's not reallt a problem. My car doesn't have a handle but there's enough space under the lip of the trunklid to put your fingers under it and lift it.

No; empowah wants the trunk opening button (not a handle) on the decklid itself. Apparently he wishes to share whatever he may have in his trunk with whomever walks by.

I don't see how it's any different from having a door handle on a door. It's annoying to have to get back inside the car to open the trunk, or to fumble around with a keyfob, if you're standing next to the trunk and want it open. Practically all minivans, SUVs, hatchbacks, and pick-ups have 'em.. I don't get why more sedans don't have have it.

As far as security, you could always lock the trunklid, as you would with any door.

I've owned a few MoPars with the trunk release in the glovebox.

:scratchchin:

I've never seen an auto tranny NOT filled through the dipstick. While BMW might not have a tranny dipstick neither does the 300/Charger/Magnum with the 5 speed Mercedes auto. The reasoning is they don't WANT people checking and adjusting the fluid levels, they want to do the $ervice them$elve$. :AH-HA_wink:

Interesting...never heard of filling the trans via the dipstick.

Yeah, I found out the Odyssey had one... by mistake...

On all our other cars, including the Bimmer with a 5L40E, there isn't one. It's sealed for "life", but if you want to check the ATF level, you need to park on level ground, climb underneath, unbolt the fill plug, and take a peek. If there's too much for any reason, it'll drain out.

>>"Interesting...never heard of filling the trans via the dipstick."<<

You forgot the jokey smurf smilie...

No smilie needed... I've really never heard of doing that... (I've only owned one automatic, never added tranny fluid--the shop takes care of that when I go in for maintenance).