NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Chrysler kills re-badged counterpart to Dodge Journey

25 posts in this topic

Chrysler kills re-badged counterpart to Dodge Journey

11/07/07, 10:57am, EST

leftlane news

Earlier this week, Chrysler announced it would pull four slow-selling products from the market in 2008. But according to Leftlane sources, company officials also decided recently to kill off a product that hasn't even been built yet — a Chrysler-branded version of the Dodge Journey.

Chrysler recently introduced the Dodge Journey, codenamed JC49, at the Frankfurt Motor Show. It was widely known that plans existed for a Chrysler version of this vehicle codenamed JZ49. Originally the Chrysler model was set to go into production some time in 2009. Later, word came down of a delay, of up to a year, on the JZ49 program.

Now comes word from industry and supplier sources that the JZ49 program has been killed outright. Reasons for the cancellation of JZ49 are not clear, though, product overlap with the Dodge Journey is a likely motive. It's also not clear if this was part of the part of the recent product lineup thinning announced by Chrysler's new management team.

This revelation will prove to be quite significant to Chrysler's lineup. With the Pacifica going away at the end of its current life cycle, and the JZ49 canceled, the Chrysler brand will be left with no traditional crossover vehicle in the show room.

What, if any, new crossover plans there might be for Chrysler are not known at this point. However, it would be hard to imagine that the Chrysler brand would abandon this segment all together.

source:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chrysler-kills...ge-journey.html

I have no idea why Ford GM and Chrysler offer soooo many rebadged vehicles to begin with.

Nuts!

I have no idea why Ford GM and Chrysler offer soooo many rebadged vehicles to begin with.

Nuts!

Many reasons, incl...

To meet dealer's demands.., and it's a cheap way to add models..

Edited by moltar

While they're at it, they should go ahead and kill the Journey and replace it with something that'll actually sell.

This is both good news and bad news.

The good news is that we won't see a Dodge Journey at a Chrysler dealership with a Chrysler grille and headlights, a grooved hood, and upside down taillights. The last thing the Chrysler brand needs right now is another badge engineered Dodge clone product sitting around to pull the brand's image down further. :)

The bad news is that the Chrysler brand won't have a crossover in its lineup after it kills the Pacifica. This means that the Chrysler brand will have to rely on two Dodge clone rebadge jobs in shrinking market segments to carry the brand's people mover business (Aspen - traditional SUV and Town & Country - minivan). To have the Chrysler brand be entirely out of the hot crossover segment at this time doesn't appear to be a wise move on Chrysler's part. :(

Edited by cire

The bad news is that the Chrysler brand won't have a crossover in its lineup after it kills the Pacifica. This means that the Chrysler brand will have to rely on two Dodge clone rebadge jobs in shrinking market segments to carry the brand's people mover business (Aspen - traditional SUV and Town & Country - minivan). To have the Chrysler brand be entirely out of the hot crossover segment at this time doesn't appear to be a wise move on Chrysler's part. :(

Agreed.

I'm a lot less enthusiastic about Chrysler's new owners judging by the decisions they've been making lately.

So, Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep will get distinct products? Ok, I'm on board with that.

I like the idea of no more badge jobs, but once again, I questions how good of a decision it was to kill the Pacifica before the Aspen, because once it goes, they have no CUVs until they gets some new product...which is what I really want to hear about.

Dealers are merging into C-J-D stores, so no need for two of the same SUV. The Pacifica was a huge long term flop, won't be missed. With more CJD stores, look for fewer badge jobs just to 'please dealers' since they will sell all 3 lines.

Edited by Chicagoland

In the mean time while they consolidate... what are they going to sell?

In the mean time while they consolidate... what are they going to sell?

Take the PT Cruiser, put a brush guard on the front and a lift kit underneath and sell that as a cossover.

Keep in mind Cadillac only has one crossover, and if I remember correctly, isn't it going away soon?

Agreed.

I'm a lot less enthusiastic about Chrysler's new owners judging by the decisions they've been making lately.

I would agree.

Chris

They have to kill pructs in order to make room for new products. Nothing happens overnight. Look at Buick...3 models for 08.

They have to kill pructs in order to make room for new products. Nothing happens overnight. Look at Buick...3 models for 08.

Those new products are not ready for production. They haven't even officially decided what new products to develop.

GM at least has 7 other brands in the US (two specifically propping up Buick) along with global resources to compensate while each brand gets reworked. Chrysler LLC doesn't.

True, Chrysler LLC is merging dealerships: CDJ dealers... but Dodge & Jeep are also cutting vehicles without replacements or different products immediately available.

I fear Chrysler LLC is slowly burying themselves in a hole they may not be able to get out of. Fewer vehicles, less revenue, less cash flow, less development funds... etc... We'll see how much Cerberus is willing to dump into Chrysler LLC before selling it in its reduced state or just for parts (if it comes to that.)

Those new products are not ready for production. They haven't even officially decided what new products to develop.

GM at least has 7 other brands in the US (two specifically propping up Buick) along with global resources to compensate while each brand gets reworked. Chrysler LLC doesn't.

True, Chrysler LLC is merging dealerships: CDJ dealers... but Dodge & Jeep are also cutting vehicles without replacements or different products immediately available.

I fear Chrysler LLC is slowly burying themselves in a hole they may not be able to get out of. Fewer vehicles, less revenue, less cash flow, less development funds... etc... We'll see how much Cerberus is willing to dump into Chrysler LLC before selling it in its reduced state or just for parts (if it comes to that.)

Well it's not like they had much funds for development before Cerberus, but Cerberus has the funds to put toward development, which they are doing.

any way you want it, that's the way you'll get it.

any way you want it.

What is sad is that I hadn't even heard of the Journey till I heard that it's Chrysler counterpart had been shelved.

There was a thread here complete with spy shotsabout it, but I know what you mean.

Well it's not like they had much funds for development before Cerberus, but Cerberus has the funds to put toward development, which they are doing.

Uhm... Before Cerberus, the Chrysler Group was part of DaimlerChrysler... Lack of funds wasn't the problem.

Uhm... Before Cerberus, the Chrysler Group was part of DaimlerChrysler... Lack of funds wasn't the problem.

On the contrary, Daimler never invested enough or allowed Chrysler Group to achieve it's full potential. Chrysler was never moved upmarket because they didn't want it competing with Mercedes. The ME-412 is a perfect example of the German ego not allowing the Americans do push the envelope. The project was shelved even as their were prototypes in testing for production run because Chrysler did what Mercedes did with the SLR for a fraction of the cost and development time.

Remember, it wasn't a "merger of equals". Chrysler was always the subordinate of Mercedes and always played second fiddle.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is out on this decision. On one hand, it means that it will be that much longer for Chrysler to have a midsize crossover, something they dearly need. Plus, the Pacifica is going away. However, as mentioned here, they need a good midsize CUV, not a rebadged Dodge. Jim Press has been talking a lot about how Chrysler has too many overlapping products, but Toyota shared platforms just like everyone else. I take this to mean that they're not aiming to end platform sharing at Chrysler, just do a better job of it.

kinda like chrysler and dodge are going their separate ways with this one