Not happy

Sixty8panther

I love Buick, not for what it currently is but for what it was back in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s 80s, and even 90s. and more importantly what it COULD be.

I went to the website the other day and was kind of saddened by the lackluster model lineup and crappy model names.

With a rich history of awsome names like Century, Electra, Invicta, Riviera, Roadmaster, Regal, Centurion, LeSabre, Park Avenue, Super, Special, Skylark, Grand Sport, Grand National, Wildcat you'd think at least a fe of them owuld be used to resurrect the brand, but nope... instead we get two cars and two SUVs.

WTF? This is not the Buick that's going to win backl serious sales. There was another Brand that was fouled up by GM management. They failed to gain a decent amount of new customers while they alienated all their core customers... what was that brand again... oh yeah... Oldsmobile. Even when they went under they atleast had three car models.

All of their names were new and clever sounding.

Alero
Intrigue
Aurora
Silohuette
Bravada

Now it's

Lacrosse
Luscerne
Randevous
Rainer

Pretty pathetic. Let's hop[e history does not repeat itself this time. It seesm GM is either blind, stupid or both. Either way they sem to be setting up another brand for a nasty fall. Why do you have to F**** everythign up GM? :angry:

As traditionally the most conservative of GM's makes, Buick should use a lot of classic styling, heritage names, and design cues. You're right, the most desirable names include Roadmaster, Invicta, Wildcat, et al. Advertising once said "the great American road belongs to Buick; "Buick... the great American beauty"; etc. but, more recently, they gave the vehicles European styling and/or Swiss or French names. Huh?

GM can't be as stupid as it seems; so must we think they are trying to kill Buick with a half-a**ed new names marketing experiment, and little attention or money?

Super? Special? Great names? :blink: Anywho, I pretty much agree. Atleast all of Buick's name have some sort of theme being french names or such. Unlike Pontiac which has almost three entirely different themes going on. G6, SV6; Grand Prix, GTO; Vibe, Solstice, Torrent... Why can't they stick with one? Or even two? BTW, your spelling rocks! :P :D

Yes, my spelling sucks, let's start a separate thread to talk about it. I was nine years old when I learned english and coming form a culture/country where everythign is phonetic it's kind of hard to learn perfect spelling in english. I think we established that my spelling is as bad as Paris Hilton's acting a while ago. (like the day I joined this forum) Half of it is my horrible typing skills... which is why you see words like "Caamro", "Wehn" and "teh" so often. My typing skills suck and I do not take the time to type slow as I'm always in a hurry, even when relaxing. I'm a bit hyper. Most people who don;t know me suggest I cut down on Coffee not realising I do not drink any. Anyway getting back on the toipc at hand... Why do you think English is the only language to have spelling bees? No toehr language is as fudged up and miscombobulated as American English. No phonetics, no real rhyme or reason to the rules or grammar... very odd language. At least I learned the language unlike some people who live here.

Rendezvous is an awesome name as it really does befit the vehicle - a meeting of a car, a van, and an SUV.

The other names I could go back and forth on, but the real disappointing thing to me is all this talk about Buick being Lexus and so forth. Perhaps its just me who realizes that Lexus was the Japanese Buick and I say that with complete sincerity and belief. To borrow from a George Jones song, Buick was premium before premium was cool. It was the poor man's Cadillac - and that's not derogatory. It had the style, the class, the panache of a full-blown luxury car without the haughtiness and especially the price tag. And though many Buicks approached Cadillac price ranges, the vast majority delivered a truly 'premium' ride for a bargain price. Even as recent as the late 90s, there were Buicks that lived up to that reputation.

The Century is derided by all for a 'wheezy' 3.1l and 'stodgy' styling, but remember this was a car that cashed out at significantly under $20,000 at a time when that price was shared by midlevel intermediates or stripped midsizers with 4-bangers. Besides, a $20k Camry or Chrysler then looked like a $20k car; Century didn't.

Regal GS set the standard for horsepower in midsize cars back in 1997 with 240/280 from the blown 3.8l. Remember what else had numbers that high for under $30k (loaded, btw) in 1997? Not Acura's flagship RL, which was 70% more and had far less performance. Not Nissan's flagship Maxima, which was a little more with a LOT less power. For an affordable sleeper, Regal above all others.

But back to my point. Buick doesn't need to be Lexus. Let Lexus be Lexus with boring, derivative styling, high pricetags, and a total lack of personality. Where is all the talk about Buick being B-U-I-C-K?

I admit, I don't really care for the new names. I LOVED the name Riviera--I mean, that, just the name alone, screamed class to me. It screamed luxury. Then, the car, well, it was true to its name.

All I can say is that I am getting VERY much sick and tired of hearing this as the ONLY Buick (or any GM brand for that matter) target line: "Total Value Promise". Ooooh, really, I actually get a 4 year/50k mile warranty with that overpriced and underengineered and underdesigned new Buick....that's just amazing. Things like that should be a freaking given on a car that's "supposed" to have such stature and class, from the very beginning--it shouldn't have to be a damn selling point this late in the game. As a person with a beautiful (but still, admittedly, a little frumpy) '92 Roadmaster Limited sedan parked out in the driveway that has 192k miles on the clock, but still looks and runs like a brand new armored tank--only with huge, comfortable leather seats and good gas mileage--all the new Buicks are just pathetic, save the Lucerne which is actually one heck of a nice car that just happens to have been given one of the most boring, disproportionate nose jobs of any car today. Get me back in and believing "the great American road belongs to Buick" or "Buick... the great American beauty" and you just might have something. Until then, stick the warranty and finally standard ABS up your ever living arse, GM, and try to get to work on something people might actuallly flock to the dealerships for. Edited by caddycruiser

God I miss the Roadmaster SO much... that is my idea of a BEAUTIFUL car...

[post="29056"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm 95% in agreement with the last few threads... esp. this last one.

Between the Riviera, Roadmaster sedan/wagon, Regal/Century & Park Ave./LeSabre it seems Buick has taken the biggest "hit" of the GM Brands in the psat few years wiht the obviuos exception of Olds, who is no more.

As much as I despise the cancelation of the B/F bodys Chevy still has a few "core" products but the slate has ben wiped clean at Buick.

I love Buick so it saddens me to say that it seems as if it is going to hell in a hadbasket. When the "Minivan" in the buick lineup is the most handsome one it would seem we have a problem. Edited by Sixty8panther

[post="29056"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Absolutely. My granddad had a maroon '96 Roadmaster that my cousin has now... Loaded to the gills with whitewalls... rides like an absolute dreams. THAT name should be resurrected as the flaghship.

Discarding the names of some of the highest quality vehicles in the market was not a good move in my opinion. In a way, Buick is trying to walk away from its immediate past (old fogey image) and try to present a slightly more upscale, fresher image. Lutz hinting that Buick would become an American Lexus only set up people for disappointment because if they expected a meticulously crafted, high quality interior in a LaCrosse, they didn't find it. Then again, the street price is a lot less.

Discarding the names of some of the highest quality vehicles in the market was not a good move in my opinion.  In a way, Buick is trying to walk away from its immediate past (old fogey image) and try to present a slightly more upscale, fresher image.  Lutz hinting that Buick would become an American Lexus only set up people for disappointment because if they expected a meticulously crafted, high quality interior in a LaCrosse, they didn't find it.  Then again, the street price is a lot less.

[post="29088"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Like I've already said... the Intrigue and Aurora made for awsome LExus/Acura alternatives but look where olds is now. :(

While I agree that Buick needs help, this French naming thing is not new. Does anyone think the cars they were attached to made the names great and not the other way around? When the Invicta, Electra, Wildcat and Centurion names were phased out, Buick carried on. I think Lucerne is an elegant name that conjures up old-world class and a certain longevity. Give 'em a chance to show us this new car, and let's hope for a knockout flagship sedan above it, plus a coupe and convertible, and a crossover with graceful styling. The current Rendezvous is a shoebox with Buick styling cues barely etched into the surface.

While I agree that Buick needs help, this French naming thing is not new.  Does anyone think the cars they were attached to made the names great and not the other way around?  When the Invicta, Electra, Wildcat and Centurion names were phased out, Buick carried on.  I think Lucerne is an elegant name that conjures up old-world class and a certain longevity.  Give 'em a chance to show us this new car, and let's hope for a knockout flagship sedan above it, plus a coupe and convertible, and a crossover with graceful styling.  The current Rendezvous is a shoebox with Buick styling cues barely etched into the surface.

[post="29183"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

OCN, I agree with you and I've said it in the past. However, since the cars attached made the names great, people associate the name with the car. Since people now associated "Century" and "Regal" with old, bland styling, Buick wants to get away from that association. However, I feel it is foolish to have dropped the LeSabre name since the car was doing so incredible and it was a well-known name.

OCN, I agree with you and I've said it in the past.  However, since the cars attached made the names great, people associate the name with the car.  Since people now associated "Century" and "Regal" with old, bland styling, Buick wants to get away from that association.  However, I feel it is foolish to have dropped the LeSabre name since the car was doing so incredible and it was a well-known name.

[post="29217"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

AAAANNNND it went with the "L" theme for cars.

Oh boy, where to start ?

Great Post Bri - Buick will always be Buick to me, Im not the one confused. Lutz should be kept from speaking publicly or even privately, he just says one foolish thing after another. I too have been so fed up with this, comparing to other companies, "think" some other brand. Such BS. When I think Buick I think of Buick, same for all the rest of Gm's lineup, Im not confused but somehow GM feels it needs to unconfuse the rest of the American public so they start pulling Lexus, BMW, Mercedes comparo's and it reaks of desperation, which it is. Things are very desperate.

"Wouldnt you really rather have a Buick ?" Well yes I would !

So now lets have it, Buick is about styling, class, and iron fist in a velvet glove. So where is the styling ? Its OK but it aint Buick ! Its conservative, it (has)says Im retired. Or I dont want to stand out in a crowd. They just improved on that some but it still not Buick, its still not new, unique styling that reaches out and grabs you. Its a hard task I know but they had better get on it.

Names, I dont like whats going on there but Im going with it, it wont change, we just need to hope these damn cars sell. I have no problem with Lacrosse, I have always know of the game which is rugged and I myself have two pairs of Lacrosse winter boots. Lucerne is a little limp for me but Ill deal. Neither of the cars are really sporty enough looking for me anyhow. Many of those big Luxury Buicks had a sporty styling edge to them, not so much anymore, that I really dont like. Rendezvous is a name I myself like, a Rondy is a part of American heritage, it was a annual fur trade event. There is still a dogsled race called the Rondy, infact a few on that theme I think, it is Americana and Im glad Buick picked this one up. Of course in order to be a bunch of PC, bleeding heart, other culture embracing bunch of liberals they need to put a Spanish twist on it. :rolleyes: Toro, Eldo were the same kind of thing.

I'd love to have a 38 Special SC :CG_all: Yea, thats right ! That would be a lightweight (3000lb) RWD Sport Coupe, powered by none other than an IRON FIST 3800 SuperCharged at its full potential, not the choked down version that GM marketed, mated to the new 6 stick. It would have body sweeps and the correct amount of chrome, fully non optioned interior velvet glove, but none of the BS that is making all new cars heavier than a 60 Caddy at half the size. No head hammer bags, no ankle bracelet bags, "no help me please Im so lost," no "here kids shut up and watch TV", no "I cant stop without ABS", I cant go without TC. Just the goods. American Power, comfort, American leather, American hardwood in its natural state, real padded leather, cloth, wood and chrome bezel interior panels. All wrapped in a body shell that makes me leak ! I mean weak !

What more is there to say

Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove

I'd love to have a 38 Special SC  Yea, thats right ! That would be a lightweight (3000lb) RWD Sport Coupe, powered by none other than an IRON FIST 3800 SuperCharged at its full potential, not the choked down version that GM marketed, mated to the new 6 stick. It would have body sweeps and the correct amount of chrome, fully non optioned interior velvet glove, but none of the BS that is making all new cars heavier than a 60 Caddy at half the size. No head hammer bags, no ankle bracelet bags, "no help me please Im so lost," no "here kids shut up and watch TV", no "I cant stop without ABS", I cant go without TC. Just the goods. American Power, comfort, American leather, American hardwood in its natural state, real padded leather, cloth, wood and chrome bezel interior panels. All wrapped in a body shell that makes me leak ! I mean weak !

:withstupid:

Now that sounds like a Buick that I'd actually *want* to own, unlike any current one.

:withstupid:

Now that sounds like a Buick that I'd actually *want* to own, unlike any current one.

[post="29439"][/post]

Hey blackviper, how about one like this?This would get your adreneline moving! B)

Posted Image

> > > Edited by rkmdogs

Sorry to say, but Buick will most likely never rake in the sales numbers as it had in the past. And GM simply cannot afford to have cars with same bodies with many different names, like the 60's. Marketing costs are way up, so no more Century/Regal, but one name to promote from now on. Buick is now paired with Pontiac, and better get used to it. GM planned to spend billions to bring Buick up as they did for Caddy, but many other problems occured since then. Caddy and Chevy need the cash most, and then if they are lucky, maybe the other divisions. FOr now, GM has to deal with legacy cost, Delphi, and gas prices. No extra cash for 1960's/70's line ups anymore.

Buick 38 Special

Wow, how the hell have I never thought of that name. AWSOME name awsome concept, esp the NO-Bull$hit low content interior... and if it was styled like a BlackHawk.. DAMN I might even forsake a Camaro over that.

Honestly, who the hell does NOT likke this car??? :blink: Sex on wheels.

Posted Image

Discarding the names of some of the highest quality vehicles in the market was not a good move in my opinion.  In a way, Buick is trying to walk away from its immediate past (old fogey image) and try to present a slightly more upscale, fresher image.  Lutz hinting that Buick would become an American Lexus only set up people for disappointment because if they expected a meticulously crafted, high quality interior in a LaCrosse, they didn't find it.  Then again, the street price is a lot less.

[post="29088"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm with you there bobo. The LaCrosse doesn't cut it, the styling doesn't on any model, and its still got that image. Understyled cars and having your flagship car that looks like a Chevy (and not a well-styled one at that) are a couple of ways to kill a division I think.

Remember the LaCrosse show car from a few years ago?  Now that was a hell of a Buick...loved that design...

[post="30275"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

See, I didn't like that design either... then again, I'm one of those boring people who likes a nice conservative design. Hence me being 28 and loving Buick.

Buicks not supposed to be conservative thats just something that happened in the 90's. Sales dropped off then too. Not sure why.

As far as styling and critizing the Blackhawk

One of ya's drives a old Century and the other thinks the world evolves around a Grand Am ????????? So whats one to do ????

:P :lol: http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

Id be content in a Century
Id be ashamed in a Grand Am
Id be proud in a Black Hawk styled hotrod :)

They'll have a similar fiberglass shell out someday. I have two friends building 30's Ford styled rods now. Ones a 550hp 454 5 speed in a chopped coupe. The other is a sedan I think with a blown 440 5 speed.

GM could have hand built probably 10-15 of those BlackHawks and wealthy enthousiasts would have snapped them up at $100,000 a piece. The could have made money, just like Ferrari and Lamborghini do, but nooooo !!!!! More money than brains........gone !

See, I didn't like that design either... then again, I'm one of those boring people who likes a nice conservative design.  Hence me being 28 and loving Buick.

Well, different strokes for different folks, as they say... when I was 28, I bought a then-2yr old BMW M3... but I had come very close to buying an Aurora or a 2yr old Caddy STS at the time, believe it or not...thought seriously about an STS again when I was 30 but bought a Grand Cherokee instead.

Well, different strokes for different folks, as they say...  when I was 28, I bought a then-2yr old BMW M3... but I had come very close to buying an Aurora or a 2yr old Caddy STS at the time, believe it or not...thought seriously about an STS again when I was 30 but bought a Grand Cherokee instead.

[post="30457"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So you felt that was better suited than a large 4dr. sedan ?

So you felt that was better suited than a large 4dr. sedan ?

Yeah...I was having an internal debate with myself about a large luxury sedan or sports coupe when I bought the M3.....(I had a Mustang GT and a Bronco daily driver then). I had been thinking about it for a year and was engaged then...then broke up and treated myself to a BMW.. :)

When I bought the Jeep, I was thinking large FWD luxury sedan, AWD sports sedan (A4), or SUV (my Bronco was dying) for a daily driver...I ended up going with a loaded Grand Cherokee, so I could get some luxury with the SUV capability and practicality for a daily driver.. Edited by moltar

[post="29056"][/post]

Hmm....how about our nearly perfect '92 White/Red leather Roadmaster Limited with 192k on the clock? :)
Posted Image

Quite an antique by today's standards, but even with almost 200k, feels as solid as a military tank and that it could take a beating for quite some time--these cars were beasts, and that's why so many are still around in such great shape.

Really wish they'd come out with a new REAL one, that was large, refined, and still TOUGH http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons//AH-HA_wink.gif

Buicks not supposed to be conservative thats just something that happened in the 90's. Sales dropped off then too. Not sure why.

One of ya's drives a old Century and the other thinks the world evolves around a Grand Am ????????? So whats one to do ????

:P  :lol:  http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

Id be proud in a Black Hawk styled hotrod  :)

[post="30435"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't get me wrong... I'm more a Lucerne CXS type than a LaCrosse CX man. I prefer a sporty-luxury sedan. I would go a little sportier than the Lucerne CXS, but that doesn't exist for Buick. As for my Century, well, even that is too bland for me!

I agree with you 100%. These silly new names are utterly forgettable. Things I would like to see dissapear from morern newly designed cars: 1) Dumb meaningless names and alphanumerics 2) A return to soft plush real cloth seat material instead of the fake synthetic garbage like in the New Malibu or Rendevous or Terrazza. 3) Bodyside door moldings should be standard or at least available on every model for us people that don't want door dings galore. 4) Glove box lights should be included on any vehicle that costs over 20K 5) Buick should have at least one coupe available 6) Axe the silly ranier ASAP. It is a rendundant model. 7) Have at least one rear drive larger size model available for Buick and Pontiac. Name them Roadmaster and Bonneville.

Id be proud in a Black Hawk styled hotrod  :)

[post="30435"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not so fast... I do NOT think the world evolves around a Grand Am. Fiero? Possibly... but Grand Am? Hell no... :lol: So get it right, razor! :D :P

I'll agree with Moltar on the LaCrosse concept. It was awesome. I loved it...

Hmm....how about our nearly perfect '92 White/Red leather Roadmaster Limited with 192k on the clock? :)
Posted Image

Quite an antique by today's standards, but even with almost 200k, feels as solid as a military tank and that it could take a beating for quite some time--these cars were beasts, and that's why so many are still around in such great shape.

Really wish they'd come out with a new REAL one, that was large, refined, and still TOUGH http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons//AH-HA_wink.gif

[post="30512"][/post]

That thing is so big that it couldn't fit in a european style Shipping berth!