NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Chevy will get small 7-seater

40 posts in this topic

Chevy will get small 7-seater

Minivan is similar to Opel Zafira, will be built in Michigan

Jamie LaReau

Automotive News

November 12, 2007 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT — General Motors will build a compact minivan for Chevrolet in 2009.

The seven-seater, code-named MPV-7, will be modeled after the next-generation of GM's Opel Zafira.

It will be boxier and more masculine than the sleek Zafira, with a unique interior.

The vehicle will be priced from the high $20,000s to the low $30,000s, and Saturn might get a version exported from Europe, a second knowledgeable source says. "It could be for Saturn, but the first product is for Chevrolet," the source says.

While compact people movers such as the Zafira are established top sellers in Europe, they are just catching on in the United States.

GM believes the MPV-7 can generate U.S. sales of 100,000 units annually.

Full article: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...711120354/1078

Good planning. When oil is at $200/barrel, people will change their priorities and care less about image. Soon (if not already) driving a huge off-roader to soccer practice will be ridiculous and unfashionable, and Chevy will offer a perfect alternative. Competitors will then be "forced to sell vehicles that people don't want to buy."

I rode in a Touran TDI taxi, which is essentially a Jetta with a high roof and seven seats, and it's every bit as functional as most 15 MPG crossovers/SUVs.

Edited by empowah

minivans need to be sizable to succeed. mpv failed, mazda5 tanks, dcx SWB vans etc.

this reeks of XL-7 rebadge with different snout.

If the dollar remains in the dumps, why not build the Saturn in NA and export it to europe as an Opel?

I think that is their plan in long term. Build opels in the unused GMNA factories.

When gas hits $4-5 a gallon, these little people movers will catch on. Good planning on GM's part.

minivans need to be sizable to succeed. mpv failed, mazda5 tanks, dcx SWB vans etc.

this reeks of XL-7 rebadge with different snout.

The Zafira is nothing like the XL-7... it's based on the Astra and has a footprint similar to a Civic sedan's.

Posted Image

VW's version...

Posted Image

Small minivans failed because gas was cheap. At $6/gallon, a 15 MPG 4500-lbs van is no longer acceptable.

Nice to see GM thinking small for a change.

nice to see them ahead of the curve for a change....

I rode in a Touran TDI taxi, which is essentially a Jetta with a high roof and seven seats, and it's every bit as functional as most 15 MPG crossovers/SUVs.

Functional, yes. I just hope GM makes their version slightly more fun to drive than the Touran is. I spent a week driving one and it's all the fun you can expect out of essentially a 2007 Dodge Colt Vista.

I think the Saturn version coming later will be good competition for the Mazda 5. The Chevy version will be good competition for the S-MAX when it comes over. I like the idea of these small people movers. I can see the benefit of owning one with gas being $4-$5 a gallon.

The Zafira is nothing like the XL-7... it's based on the Astra and has a footprint similar to a Civic sedan's.

Posted Image

VW's version...

Posted Image

Small minivans failed because gas was cheap. At $6/gallon, a 15 MPG 4500-lbs van is no longer acceptable.

-the politicians will not let us have 6 dollar gas anytime soon. the public will vote them all out of office before that happens.

-even at 4.50-5.00 a gallon these little cracker boxes won't sell. a car like the vibe will sell more. a jetta wagon will sell more. this type of stuff, there is a reason we do not get the s-max. there is a reason the mazda5 is heavily fleeted despite only about 10-15k units per year.

This would be right up our alley... terribly bad they'll come a year or two too late... and we'll be snugly snuggled into a W-Body. Damn.

High 20s sounds expensive. I'd expect the larger Traverse to be priced this way not the Zafira. Pricing should be closer to the Mazda5 which starts around 18K. Great idea in any case. Ford and Toyota should follow suit.

Where were all you guys when I was being crucified for thinking that the Ronda and/or 5 were good ideas? (HHR SS thread)

Help me Ronda. I thought it was called the Kia Rondo.

Help me Ronda. I thought it was called the Kia Rondo.

It is Rondo.... aka Carens outside NA.

-the politicians will not let us have 6 dollar gas anytime soon. the public will vote them all out of office before that happens.

-even at 4.50-5.00 a gallon these little cracker boxes won't sell. a car like the vibe will sell more. a jetta wagon will sell more. this type of stuff, there is a reason we do not get the s-max. there is a reason the mazda5 is heavily fleeted despite only about 10-15k units per year.

What if they make it ridiculously good looking like Zoolander and "cool" like an xB?

The Zafira is essentially an HHR -- a high roof compact based on a small sedan/hatch -- but with better space efficiency.

HHR: Length, 176.2. Body width, 69.1. Overall height, 62.5 in

Zafira: Length, 176. Body width, 70. Overall height, 64.4 in

How does the overall interior volume compare, converting the current Zafira to cubic feet?

What if they make it ridiculously good looking like Zoolander and "cool" like an xB?

The Zafira is essentially an HHR -- a high roof compact based on a small sedan/hatch -- but with better space efficiency.

simply put, no one who needs a third row on a fairly consistent daily basis or even a semi occassional basis wants something this small, regardless of how expensive gas is.

the only ones who would actually make use of this type of vehicle are 'forever single auntie carol' who maybe babysits the nieces and nephews once in a great moon. If she had the kids and fam herself, she'd be buying a larger 3 row or minivan. Maybe she figures the big mutt will use the third row.

zafira and s-max have dorkmobile written all over them, just like the rondo and such. the mazda5 barely escapes dorkmobile status, but that is more because they are so rare that no one sees one in enough time to really rip on it.

while we're at it, i'll redflag that width. 70 inches is too narrow. I'd like to see that be at least 72. the lambdas are what, 78? shoulder room, baby. i think the mazda5 is 69 inches and it really could stand a bit more girth.

the late 90's dorkmobile champ was the original odyssey. Honda got wise and got big. and sales proved them out. people moving is one segment that can bear has gasoline costs and still move a few units.

These kind of vehicles will not be big volume sellers when CHryco is already selling the all new vans at 19998 as advertised regularly around here now.

Edited by regfootball

Uhh, that's like saying the Town and Country is essentially an Enclave. While they overlap in utility and customers, they are very different styles of vehicle.

There is no reason to believe that a smaller, space wfficient vehicle can't sell...if styled and marketed correctly.

To take lack of success of either the 5 or Rondo as absolute evidence is somewhat unfair. That would be like Chrysler looking at the VW van sales in 81 and deciding not to produce the Caravan/Voyager.

A better mousetrap that also appeals to Americans is feasable, but not necessary--GM's overcapacity in the US, coupled with exchange rates would make a C-sized 7 seater a GREAT export product....

Part of the appeal shoukd be the fact that the Major Japanese com's do NOT have a current, US offering in this space. Just because the product doesn't appeal to us as enthusiasts doesn't make it a bad idea.

zafira and s-max have dorkmobile written all over them, just like the rondo and such. the mazda5 barely escapes dorkmobile status, but that is more because they are so rare that no one sees one in enough time to really rip on it.

I'm not sure if you meant the C-max, because yes, that is a dorkmobile. However, the S-max is fairly large, nearly mini-van sized, and is actually pretty decent looking in person. It's the Aztek that wasn't.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0