Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

FIX THIS WEBSITE

How long have web forums been around? How many exist SUCCESSFULLY today? MILLIONS.

DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW HOW TO RUN THIS PLACE?

It's not like Cheers and Gears is some insanely popular place that deals with an overwhelming amount of traffic. Get your $h! together. Muster up some testicles and tell the hosting company to f@#k themselves. DO SOMETHING.

How long have web forums been around? How many exist SUCCESSFULLY today? MILLIONS.

It's not like Cheers and Gears is some insanely popular place that deals with an overwhelming amount of traffic. Get your $h! together. Muster up some testicles and tell the hosting company to f@#k themselves. DO SOMETHING.

I see diplomacy is not your forte! :P

On a more polite note, do you guys happen to know what exactly about the host is causing the 500 errors, or is that still a mystery Oldsmoboi is keeping secret?

I said it in a thread the other day, though Camino says it's not just that..

yes I'm going to make you SEARCH for it. :P

Yeah, yeah. I pay a whole $0.00 to use this place. Great. I also pay a whole $0.00 to actively post on 10, 20, 30 other web forums. Honestly, if a few bucks would fix this bull$h! I would gladly contribute but I seriously doubt that it would.

I was more polite the last TWO times I complained about this, the first time being a solid year ago. A YEAR AGO. The past two times I got the same runaround too.

I suppose if I piss off the right people enough I will just be banned or something which will be followed by me crying in a corner for 2 days straight and then re-registering. To hell with post counts. Or maybe, something will actually be done to remedy the problem. Or maybe, nothing at all will happen.

Edited by bcs296

+1

Thank you for posting this...while it may not change anything, I've been wanting to post much the same thing, but every attempt to do so failed because the board would crash.

I'm also active on sixthsphere.com - a saturn tuner site. Problems with the server company prompted the admin to ask if anyone might chip in a little bit toward a dedicated server. Next thing he knew he had over $800 in his paypal account from half the members pitching in a few bucks.

This site seems to have a similar level of activity, but members here seem to actually have solid incomes and be willing to spend money on things they like and would like to support (unlike Saturn tuners, who tend to be the cheapest bastards you'll ever meet. lol). If C&G isn't on a dedicated server yet, perhaps a similar move should be made? I would probably pitch in a little bit.

It's being worked on... Don't think it's being ignored or going by unnoticed.

We switched hosts in May 2006. They've had technical issues and supposedly overhauled their entire network at once time or another (which also directly impacted us :rolleyes:) but this week has been far worse than recent memory can recall. The staff are in contact with the hosting company and are working to resolve the issues.

I understand the frustration - it is my own as well.

I've ranted about this in the mod/admin forum since the beginning - just ask Fly or Z. :AH-HA_wink:

The truth is, we are tied to these jerks that host the site for another 7 months and are held hostage by their crappy service. If there were an easy solution, we'd take it. As it is, we are doing all that we can to get the host to give us the service that we have already paid for.

Yes, it's frustrating.

No, none of the staff is slacking on this issue.

It ticks us off as much, if not more than, everyone else.

Yeah, yeah. I pay a whole $0.00 to use this place. Great. I also pay a whole $0.00 to actively post on 10, 20, 30 other web forums. Honestly, if a few bucks would fix this bull$h! I would gladly contribute but I seriously doubt that it would.

I was more polite the last TWO times I complained about this, the first time being a solid year ago. A YEAR AGO. The past two times I got the same runaround too.

I suppose if I piss off the right people enough I will just be banned or something which will be followed by me crying in a corner for 2 days straight and then re-registering. To hell with post counts. Or maybe, something will actually be done to remedy the problem. Or maybe, nothing at all will happen.

I don't think re-registering will work since the admins can likely ban your IP address.

Don't get me wrong, I think the server errors have to be the most annoying thing since Richard Simmons. However, is it that big of an issue that deserved that first post? No. When I get the errors, I just don't click refresh 43 times to hope it will come back. I go somewhere else or do something else. Other things in my life need to get done, and to be frank, not being able to to see what antics wbpharry is up to this time isn't going to ruin my life. Not being able to see shots of the Buick LaCrosse Super until a few hours after it was posted? Didn't ruin my life. I saw it eventually.

Again, I think the errors are stupid, but if something could be done to fix it, don't you the the mods would do it? It's not like their trying to intentionally piss us off. Or are they? :P

Even with the crappy server, I'd still rather be here than the "other" GM fansite.

Muster up some testicles

Considering the readership of this website I don't think that will be difficult.

don't worry, 25% of us can muster up testicles better than anyone....

muster

mus - ter

–verb (used with object)

1. to assemble

Now, I suppose I could have used a word with a similar meaning such as accumulate, agglomerate, amass, bring together, bunch, bunch up, call, call together, capture, collect, come together, convene, convoke, corral, flock, gang up, gather, group, hang around, hang out, huddle, lump, meet, meet up, mobilize, muster, poke, punch, rally, reunite, round up, scare up, summon, unite, or in this context, the most literal term grow but I didn't.

Thanks for playing though. Why don't you take your funny act on the road, earn some money, and donate it to the site?

Oh, BTW - an IP ban would have little success, trust me.

Thanks for the vocab lesson. We're all better people for it, though I probably should add that most of us probably understood what you said the first time.

All I can say is, from the technical end of things, C&G is sound. The ball lies in Dreamhost's court. We've made that fact known to them and are working with them to bring about a resolution once and for all. Plus, this issue is one of many things the staff is working on, both C&G related and otherwise, so I ask for some patience. I will keep you abreast of anything we find out from the host.

In the meantime, Fly has added a bunch of interesting photos and commentary from the South Florida Auto Show, and there's a very interesting tidbit on the new CTS-V. Why not take a look at those threads and give this one a rest?

muster

mus - ter

–verb (used with object)

1. to assemble

Now, I suppose I could have used a word with a similar meaning such as accumulate, agglomerate, amass, bring together, bunch, bunch up, call, call together, capture, collect, come together, convene, convoke, corral, flock, gang up, gather, group, hang around, hang out, huddle, lump, meet, meet up, mobilize, muster, poke, punch, rally, reunite, round up, scare up, summon, unite, or in this context, the most literal term grow but I didn't.

Thanks for playing though. Why don't you take your funny act on the road, earn some money, and donate it to the site?

Wow. Way to take a pun and overanalize.

Nothing kills fun like unnecessary explaination.

Did you get punched in the face a lot as a kid?

muster

mus - ter

–verb (used with object)

1. to assemble

yes... 25% of us can get testicles better than the rest.... get the joke and move on.

...most of us probably understood what you said the first time.

Yes - most of you, with the exception of two comedians.

Did you get punched in the face a lot as a kid?

The jokes just keep coming.

Thanks for initiating a dialog that added absolutely nothing to this thread. My point (which apparently offended some people) was made so I will leave this thread now and read about the CTS-V. That is, of course, assuming I can actually navigate to that page. :P

Yes - most of you, with the exception of two comedians.

The jokes just keep coming.

Thanks for initiating a dialog that added absolutely nothing to this thread. My point (which apparently offended some people) was made so I will leave this thread now and read about the CTS-V. That is, of course, assuming I can actually navigate to that page. :P

Let it go man....things wil get better.

Take it from someone who has slow internet, which makes it even worse. :(

I come here for the knowledge and the people, so I guess I can wait. :P

Don't get me wrong, I think the server errors have to be the most annoying thing since Richard Simmons. However, is it that big of an issue that deserved that first post? No. When I get the errors, I just don't click refresh 43 times to hope it will come back. I go somewhere else or do something else. Other things in my life need to get done, and to be frank, not being able to to see what antics wbpharry is up to this time isn't going to ruin my life. Not being able to see shots of the Buick LaCrosse Super until a few hours after it was posted? Didn't ruin my life. I saw it eventually.

Again, I think the errors are stupid, but if something could be done to fix it, don't you the the mods would do it? It's not like their trying to intentionally piss us off. Or are they? :P

Even with the crappy server, I'd still rather be here than the "other" GM fansite.

maybe so, but i can count on one hand the amount of times I have been on GMI and crashed in the last two years.

i'm willing to put some jing in the pot and c'mon, let's not avoid the issue, maybe it's time for some ad dollars to help out.

nothing cuts into a time starved lunch hour more than excessive server crashing

maybe so, but i can count on one hand the amount of times I have been on GMI and crashed in the last two years.

i'm willing to put some jing in the pot and c'mon, let's not avoid the issue, maybe it's time for some ad dollars to help out.

nothing cuts into a time starved lunch hour more than excessive server crashing

There may come a time for that,Reg.

Right now we need to get what we can out of dreamhost.

I have had my issues with server errors on this website, but I pay zilch to contribute and I get tons of enjoyment out of it. While the server errors are frustrating, I'm pretty thankful for the luxury of C&G and the outlet that it gives. The first post was extremely rude and it could have been presented in a more mature, more effective manner.

I hope that the problem can be fixed soon, even if it means changing host companies. In the meantime, thanks to the staff for tryin to take care of the issues.