Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

SPY SHOTS! 2010 Cadillac BRX

Flybrian

SPY SHOTS! 2010 Cadillac BRX
Posted Image
Link to Original Post @ Jalopnik

This BRX prototype is thoroughly disguised, but its smart size and solid stance are clearly visible. A sharp midsection character line can be seen plunging downward from the C-pillar, toward the front front fender, hinting at some possible CTS overtones. The tester was also sporting some seven-spoked wheels that closely resemble the seven-spokers on Cadillac's current Escalade. An interesting side- window-line angles back sharply at the C-pillar, with a slight kink at the waistline.

The BRX is also expected to be shared with Saab (on a 9-4X), and the revised platform may also spawn a Buick variant as well. Engine options are expected to include both the 2.8- and 3.6-liter HF V6s, while a diesel will also be offered in Europe. The new CUV, perhaps available as early as next Fall, will be available in front- and all-wheel-drive configurations

Cadillac is f@#king up! Isn't the Theta's FWD? I couldn't imagine the Theta's and Fwd as premium luxury. What is this supposed to compete with...the X3 or X5? I don't think this stand a chance. And the name BRX is horrible. The SRX was a fine vehicle, I say just update and redesign(lose the wagon mini van look) to compete more with the X5 or Range Rover..thats where the bucks at.

Looks like the Vue, which is bad. This has badge job written all over it, and they aren't even copying a good vehicle. The Vue awd V6 is 4325 pounds, the SRX awd V6 is 4320 pounds. They are trading a lighter, superior handling, rear-drive chassis, for an obese, average performing, front drive small SUV. The Vue with a pop up nav screen and 40 gig hard drive and sound proofing will probably top 4450 pounds in Cadillac form, it will be heavier than an SRX V8.

I bet the Cadillac MLS follows in 2011, based on the EpsilonII Malibu. The MLS can be a nice roomy front driver (gotta fill the DTS void with a cheaper car), priced in the mid to high 30s with a slushy suspension and compete with the Lexus ES350. They can keep all the Malibu body panels too, just swap grilles and dress the interior up some. Worked with the Cimarron, and Lincoln is on fire with the dressed up Edge and Fusion/Milan, they might put Mercedes out of business with that awesome plan.

Even in concept, this is going to be very, very hard to pull off.

From the looks of this chubby design, GM could throw any front end/rear setup from one of its brands. The SRX was and is a great performing product, but had some inefficiencies built into it from the previous regime.

A re-imagined SRX ala CTS (and of course, better pricing and awareness) would do wonders for the brand. A FWD wannabe ala MDX (which is a solid performer, but decidedly mid-lux) is not the way to go, but I assume market research found much better opportunity.

Oh goodie, a Cadillac that shares its FWD platform with a Chevy!

TE is AWD.

Cadillac is f@#king up! Isn't the Theta's FWD? I couldn't imagine the Theta's and Fwd as premium luxury. What is this supposed to compete with...the X3 or X5? I don't think this stand a chance. And the name BRX is horrible. The SRX was a fine vehicle, I say just update and redesign(lose the wagon mini van look) to compete more with the X5 or Range Rover..thats where the bucks at.

It's not Theta. TE is quite a bit different and much improved. It's also AWD.

Looks like the Vue, which is bad. This has badge job written all over it, and they aren't even copying a good vehicle. The Vue awd V6 is 4325 pounds, the SRX awd V6 is 4320 pounds. They are trading a lighter, superior handling, rear-drive chassis, for an obese, average performing, front drive small SUV. The Vue with a pop up nav screen and 40 gig hard drive and sound proofing will probably top 4450 pounds in Cadillac form, it will be heavier than an SRX V8.

I bet the Cadillac MLS follows in 2011, based on the EpsilonII Malibu. The MLS can be a nice roomy front driver (gotta fill the DTS void with a cheaper car), priced in the mid to high 30s with a slushy suspension and compete with the Lexus ES350. They can keep all the Malibu body panels too, just swap grilles and dress the interior up some. Worked with the Cimarron, and Lincoln is on fire with the dressed up Edge and Fusion/Milan, they might put Mercedes out of business with that awesome plan.

Oh please... the RX uses the same formula and sells like hotcakes.

They are trading down a segment, the SRX is in the mid-luxury SUV segment, this thing will likely be entry level with the Lincoln MKX. They are going to give up about $10,000 in price tag to boost volume, that just cheapens the brand.

If the BRX is $35-40,000, it then is in the same price class with the Enclave and Acadia, and upcoming Mercedes GLK, plus all the vehicles that have been there for a while like the X3, RX350 and MDX. It is a crowded segment. Many people have argued how the Enclave is better than other SUVs because it is bigger and and seats 7 (much like the CTS is better than a 3-series argument because it has 2 inches more legroom). So now the Cadillac will have similar price, same engine and transmission but much smaller than the Enclave. Will GM fans keep saying the Enclave is the best SUV or advertise it as the finest crossover ever, that is a put down to the Cadillac, and weakens the brand more.

Could be useful in Europe

Over here the RX hybrid is something like half of Lexus's total volume - that's what has really driven there development, expanded their dealer network

The BRX better get more than 16-18 mpg like the Vue, otherwise it won't be useful in Europe. Diesel and hybrid only could make it work over there, but again, Cadillac's image in Europe is pretty lousy.

They are trading down a segment, the SRX is in the mid-luxury SUV segment, this thing will likely be entry level with the Lincoln MKX. They are going to give up about $10,000 in price tag to boost volume, that just cheapens the brand.

If the BRX is $35-40,000, it then is in the same price class with the Enclave and Acadia, and upcoming Mercedes GLK, plus all the vehicles that have been there for a while like the X3, RX350 and MDX. It is a crowded segment. Many people have argued how the Enclave is better than other SUVs because it is bigger and and seats 7 (much like the CTS is better than a 3-series argument because it has 2 inches more legroom). So now the Cadillac will have similar price, same engine and transmission but much smaller than the Enclave. Will GM fans keep saying the Enclave is the best SUV or advertise it as the finest crossover ever, that is a put down to the Cadillac, and weakens the brand more.

I believe this is exactly GM's plan for this vehicle.

The RX has proven that the platform need not be performance or RWD biased to succeed---I certainly hope that the TE or whatever platform it's called will be lighter than the Vue, which is a porker, albeit a good product. If aluminum intensive tech can be used on this product (and Saab/Caddy pricing should allow it), perhaps it can come in at a lower weight than the Vue.

It's my understanding that this vehicle will be built in Mexico, alongside the Vue, so it stands to reason that the platform will be similar (GM has shown little ability to flexibly manufacture divergent platforms at the same facility, yet)---and the production space freed by killing the SRX will allow GM to pump more volume out of the facility that will be needed to satisfy a range of CTS', as well as the new DTS/STS replacement

lots of vehicles overlap in price. a fully loaded tahoe is in the STS range, that doesn't mean that people are going to buy the STS over the Tahoe.

the BRX is going to be a substantially smaller vehicle than the Enclave and in different class. (there won't be a 3rd row)

BMW can have 2 great crossovers but GM can't?

The Saturn Vue predated the Cadillac CTS. In other words, the Theta platform preceded the Sigma platform. So GM is going back to an older technology for the SRX replacement? Not to mention it's an economy, FWD platform. :scratchchin:

The SRX was the most critically acclaimed of Cadillac's Art & Science vehicles, even if it was never a huge sales success. I'm baffled why they didn't update the interior, exterior styling, and drivetrain choices for the future, because otherwise it's still an incredible competitor.

The Saturn Vue predated the Cadillac CTS. In other words, the Theta platform preceded the Sigma platform. So GM is going back to an older technology for the SRX replacement? Not to mention it's an economy, FWD platform. :scratchchin:

The SRX was the most critically acclaimed of Cadillac's Art & Science vehicles, even if it was never a huge sales success. I'm baffled why they didn't update the interior, exterior styling, and drivetrain choices for the future, because otherwise it's still an incredible competitor.

Exactly. They bothered to give the Escalade a facelift after one year. The SRX exterior hasn't changed for years... a CTS-like front end would be great.

even though calling BRX just another Theta is ignorant because it's Theta Epsilon, I have to agree with those that are complaining this vehicle will ultimately be based on FWD mechanicals, even if it is AWD. I wouldn't be surprised either if GM intro'd a FWD to lower the price, it's GM, they've sunk lower than that.

Back to this platform. From the styling, this really doesn't make sense as a Cadillac. It doesn't look distinct, doesn't look butch....it looks altogether too much like every other little crossover ute out there. From the platform.....well let's just say a mixture of Theta and Epsilon, two somewhat mediocre platforms to begin with, doesn't sound all that inspiring, and saying the RX, a soft rider for women, is GM's target is not that far off.

In my book, Cadillac may be choosing the low road and going for less brilliant handling cars, in exchange for something closer to a MB with a hint more sport. I won't write the BRX or them off though

They bothered to give the Escalade a facelift after one year.

What you talking about?

But yes, a line of Zeta or Sigma crossovers is where Cadillac should be aiming for. Who cares if their two row Sigma crossover would be priced with the X5, as long as it eye-catching style, a fantastic interior, and a great drive, it'd be worthy of the new Cadillac. On the top end, thier should be something that can be done with Zeta to wide and lengthen it and give Cadillac a large crossover to supplant or supplement Escalade [until that one died off], something similar in size to Range Rover Sport but not as inefficient would be cool. Call it "Fleetwood". haha, jk [actually that does sound kinda cool]

lots of vehicles overlap in price. a fully loaded tahoe is in the STS range, that doesn't mean that people are going to buy the STS over the Tahoe.

the BRX is going to be a substantially smaller vehicle than the Enclave and in different class. (there won't be a 3rd row)

BMW can have 2 great crossovers but GM can't?

I know there are tons of things that price overlap, but I think Cadillac needs to move up in price, like $35,000 base to most cars around $50-70,000 and some stuff around $100,000 like Mercedes. Cadillac is becoming more and more like Lincoln every day.

GM has a ton of $30-40,000 SUVs, they are adding the Saab (well replacing the no-selling 9-7) and Cadillac. The vehicles are different, but it will still compete some with other GM suvs, and an already crowded segment.

BMW has 2 great crossovers (3rd coming) because they are on rear drive platforms with longitudinally mounted engines, and they are in different price ranges.

I know there are tons of things that price overlap, but I think Cadillac needs to move up in price, like $35,000 base to most cars around $50-70,000 and some stuff around $100,000 like Mercedes. Cadillac is becoming more and more like Lincoln every day.

GM has a ton of $30-40,000 SUVs, they are adding the Saab (well replacing the no-selling 9-7) and Cadillac. The vehicles are different, but it will still compete some with other GM suvs, and an already crowded segment.

BMW has 2 great crossovers (3rd coming) because they are on rear drive platforms with longitudinally mounted engines, and they are in different price ranges.

You can't charge 50k for small FWD based SUV/crossover. Let's be real. Remember the segment GM is chasing with the 7/8 seat Enclave and the 5 seat (and flashier) BRX.

the RX and the x3 are not for the same people...

Cadillac is becoming more and more like Lincoln every day.

WTF? Lincoln canceled their more performance oriented, lowest price, RWD model in favor of a FWD, Mazda based luxury cruiser.

Cadillac is on the second <or 3rd if you count the Catera... hey.. it did handle well> iteration of their RWD luxury sport sedan. Cadillac has pwned Lincoln in the full sized luxury SUV market. Lincoln has no roadster. Lincoln has nothing in the STS's range... and at least Cadillac tried. And even the DTS is worlds better than the Towncar even if the Towncar out-fleets it.

I agree, the SRX was Cadillac's most competitive vehicle (one of GM's top 3 with the Vette and Silverado) in the last 10 years. And they did a poor job marketing it, and gave it too much of a long, low wagon look, and never updated the exterior or V6. The SRX should have lived on on SigmaII, which the CTS should be on.

The Germans update platforms (and drivetrains) much faster, that is why they are beating Cadillac.

and you've got to be kidding with that jacked up AMC Concord sport coupe they're calling an SUV....

Yes. Because all the women and faux-hip metrosexuals buy X3s because of the logitudinally-oriented engine configuration.

WTF? Lincoln canceled their more performance oriented, lowest price, RWD model in favor of a FWD, Mazda based luxury cruiser.

Cadillac is on the second <or 3rd if you count the Catera... hey.. it did handle well> iteration of their RWD luxury sport sedan. Cadillac has pwned Lincoln in the full sized luxury SUV market. Lincoln has no roadster. Lincoln has nothing in the STS's range... and at least Cadillac tried. And even the DTS is worlds better than the Towncar even if the Towncar out-fleets it.

yes, it's a stretch to compare Cadillac to Lincoln, a blatant fallacy based on real world product releases and image. Yes, Cadillac has made inroads into the world luxury market.

But they still have a ways to go. The CTS worries me for the same reason it worries others here. If you followed CZ28 discussions over the last year, you'd know that Chaz has been predicting these massive weight gains in all the GM cars....and it hasn't been an understatement.

Combine that with the CTS' increased bent towards luxury, something that is being confirmed by user reviews and mags....leading me to believe Cadillac and GM are striving for 8/10ths engineering instead of all the way. Thier cars need to be leaders in the class, and to get this weight is a factor. However, this could all be premeditated.....the cars that so far have been released that are on the heavy side, well it can suit them. But the reality is, if you get me to agree to that, I'm just being a yes man and making excuses for engineering that should have gone further, easpecially with regard to CTS, that should be a no compromise sports sedan.

I would rather have a Camaro that weighs around 3400 lbs with 400 hp, than one that has had to have a structure designed to be capable of absorbing 500 hp reliably, but weighing 3700 lbs. Heck, 3400 lbs is heavy to me.

Edited by turbo200

it sucks we'll get a cadillac vue.

the cts wagon chops will be mistaken for harry's maxx by some.

gm's problem, too many platforms.

caddy should have like 2, 3 semi exclusive platforms for nearly all their vehicles.

the rest of gm could cover the bulk of the rest of their cars and crossovers with maybe 3,4 really good platforms.

the multiplicity of their efforts is money and time wasting.

Edited by regfootball

yes, it's a stretch to compare Cadillac to Lincoln, a blatant fallacy based on real world product releases and image. Yes, Cadillac has made inroads into the world luxury market.

But they still have a ways to go. The CTS worries me for the same reason it worries others here. If you followed CZ28 discussions over the last year, you'd know that Chaz has been predicting these massive weight gains in all the GM cars....and it hasn't been an understatement.

Combine that with the CTS' increased bent towards luxury, something that is being confirmed by user reviews and mags....leading me to believe Cadillac and GM are striving for 8/10ths engineering instead of all the way. Thier cars need to be leaders in the class, and to get this weight is a factor. However, this could all be premeditated.....the cars that so far have been released that are on the heavy side, well it can suit them. But the reality is, if you get me to agree to that, I'm just being a yes man and making excuses for engineering that should have gone further, easpecially with regard to CTS, that should be a no compromise sports sedan.

I would rather have a Camaro that weighs around 3400 lbs with 400 hp, than one that has had to have a structure designed to be capable of absorbing 500 hp reliably, but weighing 3700 lbs. Heck, 3400 lbs is heavy to me.

Just so you'll quit yappin about the weight, I'm going to link back to this post every time you call the CTS fat.

A6 Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3858 4034 tiptronic

535 Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3703

CTS Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3872

E-Class Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3740

M35 Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3880

GS 350 Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3704

Acura RL Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 4014

300 3.5 Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3766

Lincn LS Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3772

FWD Caddy... :yuck:

You can't charge 50k for small FWD based SUV/crossover. Let's be real. Remember the segment GM is chasing with the 7/8 seat Enclave and the 5 seat (and flashier) BRX.

the RX and the x3 are not for the same people...

Right, but Cadillac should not be chasing RX350 and Enclave buyers. They shouldn't make anything front drive or front drive based. And they can probably make a smoother riding SUV than the RX350 with a rear drive vehicle, if a soft, female car is their top goal. I think GM's top goal is cost cutting and selling as many $28-40k vehicles as possible. Because they know they lose money on the cheap cars (and can't compete with the Fit, Civic, Camry, etc) and they know Cadillac's image isn't good enough to sell $50,000+ cars.