Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Hummer H3 seduces Australians

13 posts in this topic

Hummer H3 seduces Australians

Toby Hagon, drive.com.au, 13/11/07

Posted Image

Even Hummer wasn’t prepared for the popularity of the niche Hummer 4WD brand down under.

Hummer H3

The Hummer four-wheel drive has a new battle on its hands – trying to satisfy demand for the hulking off-roader.

It seems Australians are so smitten with the military-inspired Hummer H3 that people are queuing to own one. Some people are even prepared to pay a premium to park a Hummer H3 in their driveway sooner rather than later.

“The Hummer H3 is sold out for 2007,” says Parveen Batish, director of General Motors premium brands. “Anyone who orders an H3 today is looking at a January of February (2008) delivery.”

Batish says some would-be Hummer drivers are paying a $5000 or $10,000 premium to jump the queue and own a Hummer sooner rather than later.

“One bloke even offered $25,000 above (the recommended) retail price.”

Batish says that of the initial 400 orders for Hummer H3s around half have been for black cars, reinforcing how much styling – and sinister looks – is underpinning demand for the Hummer brand.

Hummer also says that almost 70 per cent of Hummer orders so far have been for the more expensive, better equipped Luxury model.

Hummer only officially went on sale in Australia in mid-2007.

While there are a number of Hummers on the road in Australia, they are all grey imports that have been converted from left-hand drive to right-hand drive.

For now only the smallest of the Hummer family, the H3, is available in Australia. But Hummer is hoping to eventually sell the larger H2 – among other models – in future.

source:

http://yahoo.drive.com.au/Editorial/Articl...=45477&vf=2

I find it funny how the media still uses terms like "hulking" for the H3, which isn't really that big. It's more of an image thing, and it sounds like while it works against the brand sometimes (all the harassment from the "greenies" in the US), it works for the brand other times (this high demand in Aus). IMO, GM shouldn't back down from keeping the brand image rugged, and any attempts to appease the "greenies" shouldn't sacrifice off-road ability.

Agree with the above, there are people who do use a vehicle for off road use and who do like the ruggedness of a truck based vehicle such as a Hummer. While it is not a huge market, it is an important niche market and I think Hummer should retain their rugged image and not follow in Jeeps footsteps with vehicles such as the CompASS and a Patriot.

Driving home last Friday afternoon on the Atlantic City Expressway, I was behind a H3 and in front of it was a new 2007 Tahoe. The H3 is as tall as the Tahoe, just not as wide. The H3's are a pretty big truck for the smallish package it comes in.

I like it when Australians can't get enough of American products, especially when they said Hummer would flop there! :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I'm pleased with this, the more Hummers we send there - the more likely that the Ute will come here.

I'm pleased with this, the more Hummers we send there - the more likely that the Ute will come here.

Very doubtful! :rolleyes: As gas prices rise ever higher along with the Australian exchange rates the little flicker that was that hope, grows dimmer and dimmer. South Africa is building the Hummer and shipping it to Australia, not the USA. :smilewide:

Very doubtful! :rolleyes: As gas prices rise ever higher along with the Australian exchange rates the little flicker that was that hope, grows dimmer and dimmer. South Africa is building the Hummer and shipping it to Australia, not the USA. :smilewide:

Gas prices are not the determining factor, but that exchange rate and what our idiot politicians are doing is sadly crimping my pursuit of happiness.

Without Zeta (beyond Camaro and G8), GM may just lose me permanently.

Hey, there are people here willing to pay $US90K for a Silverado crewcab with aftermarkert rhd conversion.

… what our idiot politicians are doing is sadly crimping my pursuit of happiness.…

Vote against them then, and/or organize a campaign for sensible measures to promote better fuel economy (e.g. a vehicle sales tax based on CO2 emissions rather than price; state/federal rebates [say $500/mpg] for trading an older car for one (new or used) with better fuel economy; subsidies for construction of cane-based ethanol refineries in Louisiana and Florida, biodiesel and ethanol refineries and biofuel pumps at gas stations; free public charging stations for plug-in hybrids at park-n-ride centers; low cost parking, cheap registration and other perks for vehicles of limited weight and a minimum level of fuel economy [say 40 mpg hwy]; etc.).

Vote against them then, and/or organize a campaign for sensible measures to promote better fuel economy (e.g. a vehicle sales tax based on CO2 emissions rather than price; state/federal rebates [say $500/mpg] for trading an older car for one (new or used) with better fuel economy; subsidies for construction of cane-based ethanol refineries in Louisiana and Florida, biodiesel and ethanol refineries and biofuel pumps at gas stations; free public charging stations for plug-in hybrids at park-n-ride centers; low cost parking, cheap registration and other perks for vehicles of limited weight and a minimum level of fuel economy [say 40 mpg hwy]; etc.).

The trouble is that the politicians have little vision and aren't forward-thinking enough to do anything except spout -off about CAFE numbers rather than any useful ideas.

There is no one to vote for.

I think it's a bit early to start celebrating. A few hundred sales do not make the Hummer a success yet, but I am glad to see it over here. Hopefully it can find a decent market because I am bloody sick of our market being overrun with Japanese and Korean sewing machines. How about doing the right thing and develop a rhd Corvette and send that over, at a reasonable price too.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0