Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Volkswagen, Honda Has Best Resale Value

14 posts in this topic

Volkswagen, Honda Has Best Resale Value

By DEE-ANN DURBIN 11.14.07, 1:18 AM ET

Car buyers looking for models with the best resale value would be wise to pick a Volkswagen or a Honda, according to a survey by Kelley Blue Book.

Volkswagen (other-otc: VLKAF.PK - news - people ) is the brand with the best residual value, while Honda (nyse: HMC - news - people ) has four vehicles that are tops in various categories, including the Honda Civic for best sedan and the Acura MDX for best sport utility vehicle, Kelley Blue Book said in the survey being released Wednesday at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The organization has been publishing its residual value guide since 1981.

Domestic automakers have been lagging in recent years, but their resale values are improving as they move away from low-margin sales to rental fleets, Kelley Blue Book said. Fleet sales flood the market and damage brand reputation.

Jack Nerad, executive market analyst for Irvine, Calif.-based Kelley Blue Book, said General Motors Corp. (nyse: GM - news - people ), Ford Motor Co. (nyse: F - news - people ) and Chrysler LLC understand the issue and are cutting sales to fleets. Ford's top sales analyst, George Pipas, said recently that the company is on track to meet its goal of a 30 percent reduction in sales to rental fleets this year, or 135,000 vehicles.

Nerad said matching vehicle production to demand also will help. GM and Chrysler recently announced that they are eliminating shifts and laying off workers at U.S. plants in order to stop overproduction.

Toyota Motor Corp. (nyse: TM - news - people )'s Scion brand showed improvement this year, Kelley Blue Book said. Toyota's Scion xB was named the best wagon, while its Scion tC was the best hatchback. The Toyota Tundra also was best pickup, but the Toyota Prius didn't get the top pick for hybrids. That honor went to the hybrid version of the Honda Civic.

Kelley Blue Book forecasts which vehicles are expected to retain the greatest proportion of their original value after five years. The organization considers market conditions, competition, future economic conditions and other factors.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press.

the 'Vette is also up there with 50% value retention after 5 years. The other cars mentioned where only a point or two higher

Who would even want to buy a used VeeDub at any price let alone a high one? I mean, they're probably for sale because of some crazy electrical issues or something anyway.

The Toyota Tundra also was best pickup

This seems misleading. Is the data based on the the last 5 years? If so, the new model is sure to damage the rating (with the very high rebates/incentives), yet that data won't show up or won't affect the "average" as much at least in the first year. Either that or they didn't factor in the incentives into their ratings (which were a big part in what damaged the big 3).

Good luck selling your 1-year old used Tundra when people can buy brand new ones for $7000 off MSRP.

but the Toyota Prius didn't get the top pick for hybrids. That honor went to the hybrid version of the Honda Civic.

:)

Go VW! :thumbsup:

I like VW's for the most part but they have so many issues even with newer models, like the blowing 3.6L motors.

so, vw is proof that reliability has nothing to do with resale....this is now clear

2- this is coming from irvine. kbb is in irvine...did not know that before. no wonder the resale numbers are so skewed

Actually VW is building cars in Wolfsburg again which is helping things quite a bit. The Rabbit probably still is not as reliable or fuel efficient as a Cobalt, but it is improved over 3 years ago...

Chris

Who would even want to buy a used VeeDub at any price let alone a high one? I mean, they're probably for sale because of some crazy electrical issues or something anyway.

Lol. You know, my driver side review mirror signal repeater quit working yesterday! It's the first thing that has really gone "wrong"... and it's electrical.

Anyway;

Go Volkswagen!

Well DUH!

Now that I wasted a good 2-3 minutes of my day on a journalist trying to justify her poor professional pathways, I feel more angry than ever.

Lol. You know, my driver side review mirror signal repeater quit working yesterday! It's the first thing that has really gone "wrong"... and it's electrical.

Anyway;

Go Volkswagen!

I'll have to look out for that...

Still no problems @ 30k minus the rear brake pads needing to be changed a little early @ 27k. Have noticed my tranny isn't as responsive as it used to be, is that normal break-in or something that can be addressed?

Otherwise, great to hear I won't take a beating when I go to sell this thing. I get the feeling, just from casually browsing other sites, that the Rabbit models have exhibited good reliability thus far...can't say the same about the Toureag, though.

They have gotten MUCH better with the current generation. I am a member of the local Vee Dub diesel club, and several of these cars have run 100,000 plus miles trouble free.

Chris

i wonder if that routan i get will have electrical problems, since its essentially a chrysler.

i wonder if that routan i get will have electrical problems, since its essentially a chrysler.

Transmissions and Head Gaskets :smilewide:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0