LAIAS: 2009 Chevrolet Aveo5

Flybrian

I could care less what it looks like. They could swap over the current sedan front end for all I care. The car needs to get better fuel mileage, bar none. Why does the Aveo, lighter, smaller, and with so much less power, get no better fuel mileage than the Cobalt? It makes no sense to me. Give me a stripped down model without power steering or XM radio or side airbags or any gimmicks. EPA ratings in the 33/40 range. Then we'll talk. If the $12,000 2008 Chevrolet Aveo cannot get better mileage than a $2,000 1998 Mitsubishi Mirage, then why bother?

Moms Aveo gets the mileage stated on the sticker. Though she told me it seems to be a little better. And she tested the safety of it when she misjudged a lane change. Thr right front corner is a little damaged but she wasnt hurt at all. Easily fixable and it will be good once the dealer gets done fixing it. Being that it gets a little better than sticker means that it gets about 2 miles to the gallon better in town than the Cobalt did that I had for a loaner when the Equinox was in for its new steering column.

• 4 weeks later...

This is an awful, awful car that needs to go away pronto. A Cobalt with a smaller displacement higher-mileage Ecotec could fill the bill much more suitably without being a piece of tinny garbage.

This is an awful, awful car that needs to go away pronto. A Cobalt with a smaller displacement higher-mileage Ecotec could fill the bill much more suitably without being a piece of tinny garbage.

Agreed. The next-generation Aveo needs to be a substantially better product on a massive level.

I think im going to trade in my 99 malibu for the 2009 aveo5 with a 5 speed manual.

does it have anti lock brakes standard?

No. If the Cobalt doesn't have standard ABS, then the Korean Econobox Aveo certainly will not.

• 2 months later...

I do find it ugly.

I love the interior.

Take the Kia Rio's exterior, and the Aveo's interior, Toyota's high mileage engine, the Honda's joie de vivre, and that would be about the best compact thing I can imagine.

I thought it was a photochop when i first glanced at that front end. Then I read on and thought, "Oh, they're serious!" The attempt to place the family appearance on the Aveo seems to be a tad overstated, in my opinion. I'm not overly impressed with the MPG figures either, for any subcompact these days. It would appear the challenge to offer more standard amenities and creature-comforts on the low-buck transportation segments is taking away from the true notion of what a 'base' car was meant to be; however, these days, nobody should feel as though they are making a major compromise in buying a subcompact. The car has a place in today's world of high price fuel, but a better mileage rating on all of them should be addressed.

It looks like the lights came from the Pontiac Torrent?

People need to drive the '09 Aveo, then weigh in on their comments. The 1.6 litre engine has been overhauled: double variable valve timing, for example. GM is citing a 10% improvement in fuel mileage. I noticed the extra power straight away. Enhancements in the NVH department are noticeable as well. The outside enhancements are not huge, but the interior of the 5 door has been updated. Plus, the vehicle will now have OnStar and XM in the LT model. ABS and side air bags continue to be optional, but they are free flowing. The Yaris does not have standard ABS either. This segment is particularly price sensitive.

On some levels, these improvements may only raise the Aveo to the level of other competitors (Versa, Fit to name two), but I've been told the upcoming (unnamed) model next year will blow the doors off the current crop of subcompacts.

Blanket remarks that the Aveo is a piece of crap is clearly coming from people who have not spent any time in the vehicle. Even the '08 makes the Yaris look bad, and the '09 absolutely shames the Yaris, which I will agree is not saying much, but considering the Aveo is now the 'oldest' of the bunch, it has held up well and the '09 will win over a lot of naysayers. Well, some of them anyway. :rolleyes:

With all due respect, the Fit blows the Aveo away. So does the Mazda 2 (& likely the Fiesta), as well as Fiat products The 09 improvements have been previewed in other markets without great acclaim.

At the end of the day, this car shouldn't even be here, the Corsa should. The Aveo was engineered as a budget entry, a generation behind class product at the time.

GM has dramatically improved the vehicle in 09, but they need game-changers in this sector, not also-ran product that will please the guy downsizing from an Impala. Packing a significant overhaul in the same wrapper is also silly. The new nose is awkward---if you're going to change it, at least make it better looking, no?

Sorry, this is an 'old' GM-think model--I think of the improvements as necessary to bring the car barely up to 1st world standards of economy, quality & safety.

Five years ago, there was no business model for the Corsa. Now that the $US is worth about as much as toilet paper, a better case can be made. Of course, I suppose it is Wagoner's fault that he didn't forsee the 40% drop in the $US! :rolleyes:

Brazilian made Corsas are no great shakes, so be careful what you wish for. Euro-made Corsas may make sense now, but by the time the money is spent (crash tests and all that other BS) where will the dollar be then? It was a safe bet 5 years ago and continues to be a safe bet to have the cars made in Korea, or Mexico which is where production is going for '09.

I have no trouble with 'good enough.' Most people looking at the Fit and Aveo are very, very price sensitive (otherwise, they would be looking at Civics), so I'll take the $30 a month, thanks. The '09 improvements are significant, and just in time! Styling is subjective - like any of the contenders in this category are 'lookers!' The Mini is the only good looking car in this pack, but then it is twice the price. Sales of the Aveo are way up thise year, so clearly GM is doing something right.

With all due respect, the Fit blows the Aveo away. So does the Mazda 2 (& likely the Fiesta), as well as Fiat products The 09 improvements have been previewed in other markets without great acclaim.

At the end of the day, this car shouldn't even be here, the Corsa should. The Aveo was engineered as a budget entry, a generation behind class product at the time.

GM has dramatically improved the vehicle in 09, but they need game-changers in this sector, not also-ran product that will please the guy downsizing from an Impala. Packing a significant overhaul in the same wrapper is also silly. The new nose is awkward---if you're going to change it, at least make it better looking, no?

Sorry, this is an 'old' GM-think model--I think of the improvements as necessary to bring the car barely up to 1st world standards of economy, quality & safety.

I have to say if Aveo is losing sales it's all to do with Yaris [and to a lesser extent Versa, probably some Koreans too]. Not totally downplaying Fit here, but I do see the price difference as substantial. Yaris is the one probably with the sales crown even though Aveo had a head start there. The reason? The trump card of these cars as is obvious is fuel economy, but this just plays such a strong role in getting cars that are honestly a big downgrade still in terms of refinement and character.....when compacts like the Civic, MAzda3, Corolla, and even Cobalt have gotten so good and much roomier, they're definitely taking the place of where the lower end midsize used to be at, as those cars get bigger and pricier.

I'm going to defend Carbiz and the Aveo on this one, and try to enhance positivity. Objectively speaking, I really like Aveo. No, it isn't a game changer, and you're right, the cars they need to be producing need to be stand outs. Design wise I'll say Aveo is attractive, but I would dump the innocuous front and rear fascia as well as go for a more substantial look and better stance next time around, enhance the sport factor and you'll attract more males. The obvious most important deficieny with Aveo are engine and suspension/overall drive. These will be fixed next time around, however it's correct to say the importance of these two cannot be understated. GM in its characteristic is a one step forward two steps backwards kind of company, so with design they got it just about right but when you talk about suspension sophistication and handling ability it's gonna leave any import fan who already has a perception of American cars as being inferior with a bad taste in his mouth, the consumer is a lot more educated nowadays and does notice the difference between a tighter, more stable car that stops well and with less drama and one that does not.

This would have been a perfect car five years ago, but the competition has upped its game. That being said, Aveo is a competitor based on quality and design alone. It's more attractive inside and out than major competition [can't speak for actual quality or fits on the inside though, which is obviously important].

When the Fiesta comes along you're argument will be strongest for seeing Aveo as being blown out the water, but right now it's still kind of a compelling package, even as it's biggest calling card, fuel economy, is a dud.

GM has the new 'game changer' subcompact coming in 2nd quarter '09. The 1.4 turbo is going to do just that.

In the meantime, the refresh on the '09 Aveo is plenty good. The ride and handling, even the fuel mileage, are equal or better than the Yaris. I've driven both recently, and there is no contest. The Versa and Fit are both good vehicles, no question of that. Arguably, they are noticeably better than the '08 Aveo, but we are splitting hairs. They are both more expensive than the Aveo.

The '09 improvements put the Aveo back in contention again and once the new subcompact hits next year, both Honda and Nissan will have to go back to the drawing board. Toyota does not even try. The Yaris is such a POS, but it has that amazing T on the front so people will buy it anyway. That's the attitude GM had 10 years ago, too.

GM has done their homework well with this particular car. I am 6'2" and people are flabbergasted when I hop in the back behind a prospect and show them how much head room and leg room I have. There is a shocking amount of room in these vehicles.

The ecotec upgrades to the '09 put the Aveo back with the pack. $5 a gallon makes this car a contender. Sales have shot up this year in Canada, over 23%, I am told for this car.

Anyway, this is all :deadhorse: . Most people on C&G have made it quite clear they wouldn't be caught dead in an Aveo anyway, but we'll see about attitudes when YOU guys hit $5.50 a gallon.

Edited by CARBIZ

My personal opinion of the Aveo (and that's all it is) is low. The fact that CR hated it doesn't hold a tremendous amount of value to me, but it certainly supports my view...

Here's my concern. The Aveo is the car that Chevy is introducing itself with. To people who can't afford anything else, as well as returnees looking for a Chevy car. Is it a compelling enough package to keep these clientele?, and more importantly, is 1-4 years in this (penalty) box going to turn them off to the greatly improved GM products available both now and in the future?

If the EU Corsa didn't exist, and the Aveo was simply a stopgap (like the Astra), I'd be OK with it. Instead, we have a vehicle that doesn't 'surprise and delight', it's simply 'there'.

An opportunity lost, IMO. It's old GM-think at its worst, again, IMO.

Edited by enzl

The car is reliable. We have not had any huge recalls on it. Our service bays are not full of them. Customers are quite happy with their purchase. It is put together very well. (Fit, finish, etc.) Edmunds.com, who actually does have intelligent things to say about cars over all, calls it the MOST affordable car to drive, even taking into account trade in values.

This is a Chevrolet, not a Buick or Cadillac. These people are on a budget. Someone making $75k a year is not going to look at the Fit or Aveo; Mini, maybe. Nobody is going to compare this car to a Camry! Nobody who wants a fast or fun car is going to look at any of these vehicles!

Judge this car for what it is, what it is expected to do and how it does it. Nothing more, nothing less. GM needed this car in '03 and got it relatively cheaply from Daewoo. Now that the truck bubble is bursting, GM is ready with 2 replacements for the '09 calender year that will ensure GM stays ahead of the curve. The Aveo has not withered on the vine for 10 years like the Cavalier did. The '09 refresh is just in time to take us through the painful next several months until the 'segment killer' comes out in 2nd quarter '09. :AH-HA_wink:

Sales on this thing are bursting. We cannot keep them in stock. Let's just say that we agree you don't like this car and won't be caught dead in one. I can live with that.

Nobody who wants a fast or fun car is going to look at any of these vehicles!

I would disagree on at least one account; Honda has done a very good job marketing the Fit as a fun and "nimble / quick" car. And they have done a good job making it feel that way as well. People who want to save gas but not give up "fun to drive" will find a good balance there. The current Aveo, on the other hand, I agree. It really is sub-par and in need of a European/Domestic replacement.

Take the Kia Rio's exterior, and the Aveo's interior, Toyota's high mileage engine, the Honda's joie de vivre, and that would be about the best compact thing I can imagine.

Oh wait. We just need the Opel Corsa, Ford Fiesta, or Volkswagen Polo instead.

At least we will get at least one of those three.

Let's just say that we agree you don't like this car and won't be caught dead in one. I can live with that.

He's not the only one......

A Hyundai Accent I was in as a rental was more impressive to me than any Aveo I've been in....and I'm sorry....I just don't see any drastic improvements to the '09 model.

He's not the only one......

A Hyundai Accent I was in as a rental was more impressive to me than any Aveo I've been in....and I'm sorry....I just don't see any drastic improvements to the '09 model.

And you've driven the '09 already, have you?

• 1 month later...

Jesus Christ people, we're talking about an 11/12 k car here.

Fits are 5 grand more. BTW, FIt has no power. Light or not, 105 hp doesn't cut it no matter how much you stand on the gas.

Cut the Aveo some slack now. Its got a tidy interior in leatherette and is affordable and they seem to have fixed the mpg issue. And the yaris still looks like crap in many ways.

It's quite possible to get a cobalt for the same price as you can an Aveo after all is said and done. I couldn't even begin to justify a purchase of even this improved Aveo.

Exactly.

(And the mileage is about the same as well, so why buy a Korean-built Aveo when the Cobalt is there?)

One of the reasons I have not been spending so much time on this site any more is that I am tired of the same old arguments by the same old critics who either don't know what the f#$K they are talking about, or are chiming off for the wrong reasons. It amazes me that someone can make such final judgments from a few pictures, without having even sat in the '09, let alone having driven one for a few days.

We got our first '09 Aveo 5 in the other day. The extra power and the reduced harshness is quite a bump above the '08. Yes, when an Aveo is tarted up a Cobalt is not that much more, but there are some people who want the hatch or who think it is going to be easier to park. For a major refresh, the Aveo has now climbed back into the race with the Fit and Versa. They will soon be coming from Mexico which will speed their delivery, too. The interior is quite a bit better than the '08. It may seem a little too dark for some, but I find the lighter greys in the Fit a little too light. C'est la vie.

For the harshest of critics of GM, it would seem that GM is more interested in updating the Aveo than they are the Cobalt. The '09 Cobalt finally gets the graphite interior which masks the hideousness of that nylon cloth and the extra ponies make the car even more impressive, but the general cheapness of plastics in the Cobalt is disappointing - frankly, the Aveo interior is better.

Guest aatbloke
In your market, too expensive. The Yaris, Accent and Rio are all offered with a small diesel, and of course all European A- and B-segment models (including the Corsa) have at least one if not two or three diesel options. But of course, you pay a lot more for them. There should be a 1.5 L diesel for the Aveo, but perhaps they can't keep up with demand for the 2.0 L engine.

The "paying a lot more" for a diesel is merely an upfront cost, because in many European markets they depreciate far less quickly that petrol equivalents. In addition, many western European countries tax derv at a lower rate and therefore its priced less than petrol. So the overall ownership cost usually evens out or works out less than a petrol model.

Guest aatbloke

I liked my old 2006 Aveo whilst in the States. It dealt with the poor Ohio road surfaces well, the engine was tried and tested and as tough as old boots, it was very nippy around town with 103bhp on tap, and the ride was decent for a budget supermini so it coped with freeway runs well enough. The handling however was well off the mark compared with modern B-segment machinery, as was the quality of the interior fit and finish. The fuel economy was decent, and typical for a 1990's tech 1.6, but during my commutes into Cleveland I would average between 35 and 38mpg (US). Torrential rain, heavy windwinds, continual teenage-style lead-foot acceleration and freeway driving over 75mph for any length of time could bring those figures as far down as 32mpg (US) depending on the situation.

One of the reasons I have not been spending so much time on this site any more is that I am tired of the same old arguments by the same old critics who either don't know what the f#$K they are talking about, or are chiming off for the wrong reasons. It amazes me that someone can make such final judgments from a few pictures, without having even sat in the '09, let alone having driven one for a few days.

We got our first '09 Aveo 5 in the other day. The extra power and the reduced harshness is quite a bump above the '08. Yes, when an Aveo is tarted up a Cobalt is not that much more, but there are some people who want the hatch or who think it is going to be easier to park. For a major refresh, the Aveo has now climbed back into the race with the Fit and Versa. They will soon be coming from Mexico which will speed their delivery, too. The interior is quite a bit better than the '08. It may seem a little too dark for some, but I find the lighter greys in the Fit a little too light. C'est la vie.

For the harshest of critics of GM, it would seem that GM is more interested in updating the Aveo than they are the Cobalt. The '09 Cobalt finally gets the graphite interior which masks the hideousness of that nylon cloth and the extra ponies make the car even more impressive, but the general cheapness of plastics in the Cobalt is disappointing - frankly, the Aveo interior is better.

Biz, you're simply revealing a level of bias that transcends reality and logic.

This '09 refresh has been available for testing in other markets for 6 months or more. I haven't read a truly positive article on this car in any reputable source. I'll concede that the interior of the '09 is really nice for an Aveo. But that's it.

This platform is no longer competitive...it wasn't designed to be, even when introduced...it's a cut-rate, Wal-Marted, bottom feeding competitor for the LCD shopper. That's all it will ever be.

The fact that GM intro'ed 3 possible replacements (Traxx, Groove, Beat), had Americans vote on 'em and then not prepare the first versions for US consumption displays the level of concern and vision that GM has for this segment in the US. The 09 Aveo simply confirms this theory.

(Wanna hear my pet theory on why 'Biz isn't here as much: Ironically, it's the same reason I don't come here...Too much bad news for GM. It's simply overwhelming how quickly things got so bad...check out today's financial news...that's record loses 2 of the last 3 quarters...Awful doesn't even cover it. It's really gotta chap some people's asses that me, OC and the rest of the outcasts on this board were right....)

Edited by enzl

Guest aatbloke
The fact that GM intro'ed 3 possible replacements (Traxx, Groove, Beat), had Americans vote on 'em and then not prepare the first versions for US consumption displays the level of concern and vision that GM has for this segment in the US. The 09 Aveo simply confirms this theory.

The Beat is a significantly smaller, A-segment city car that will take on the Ford Ka, Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 107, VW Fox and Fiat 500 in Europe. It effectively replaces the Matiz, not the Kalos/Aveo. GM needs a newer B-segment car to be a serious competitor in the States - the Corsa would be the most logical choice.

Guest aatbloke
Maybe GM should ask Ford for help, as Ford seems to know how to do a good B-segment car (Fiesta)

GM already does - the Corsa, as well as the Meriva and Tigra spin-offs.

The "paying a lot more" for a diesel is merely an upfront cost, because in many European markets they depreciate far less quickly that petrol equivalents. In addition, many western European countries tax derv at a lower rate and therefore its priced less than petrol. So the overall ownership cost usually evens out or works out less than a petrol model.

i am certain if the people's socialist republic of california could, they would attempt to legislate to get rid of your diesels too, or make them cost prohibitive, just like here.

Guest aatbloke
Yes, but none of them, as far as I know can be imported here. I think the Corsa won't be able to make it until the next generation. Could be wrong though.

Since the 2011 will be an upgrade of the current SCSS platform, I can't see why it couldn't be modified just as the Astra was on its Delta underpinnings.

Since the 2011 will be an upgrade of the current SCSS platform, I can't see why it couldn't be modified just as the Astra was on its Delta underpinnings.

True, although it's just too bad it won't be until 2011, when GM needs cars like this here in the states now.

The Beat is a significantly smaller, A-segment city car that will take on the Ford Ka, Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 107, VW Fox and Fiat 500 in Europe. It effectively replaces the Matiz, not the Kalos/Aveo. GM needs a newer B-segment car to be a serious competitor in the States - the Corsa would be the most logical choice.

According to LLN (and other sources) the Gamma platform (which will underpin Corsa) is also used for these...not sure how the dimensions compare, but that's where I got my (mis)information from...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/no-beat-but-ch...us-by-2011.html

"Whichever concept makes it to showrooms, it will be based on the automaker’s Gamma global platform — versions of which underpin the Opel / Vauxhall Corsa in Europe and will be used in the Alfa Romeo MiTo..."

Guest aatbloke
According to LLN (and other sources) the Gamma platform (which will underpin Corsa) is also used for these...not sure how the dimensions compare, but that's where I got my (mis)information from...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/no-beat-but-ch...us-by-2011.html

"Whichever concept makes it to showrooms, it will be based on the automaker’s Gamma global platform — versions of which underpin the Opel / Vauxhall Corsa in Europe and will be used in the Alfa Romeo MiTo..."

The old Gamma platform was used in the last-gen Corsa - however it will be named going forward, the 2011 car is reputedly going to have a reengineered version of the current car's underpinnings.

The platform alone doesn't give any indication as to how large the overall product will be or its subsequent market segment. The Beat concept used a modified Kalos platform with a much smaller bodyshell. The same applied with the original Ford Ka - it used the BE13 platform from the 1989 Fiesta, yet was significantly smaller with its wheel-at-each-corner design, and pegged it into the A-segment as opposed to the supermini B-segment of the Fiesta. When the Beat goes on European sale, it will replace the Matiz.

• 8 months later...

I had an Aveo for one day as a loaner.

Good God I feel for the owners of these cars! What a piece of crap.

This car has little power a poor stereo system, it felt cheaper than it was at every point. The engine was loud. The car would hit a bump and leave the lane I was in. The brakes grabbed with a mushy pedal.

It did have a nice sun glass holder that would not hold my glasses.

Either way the people who enter the highway with these daily are a very brave lott. This was one GM car I can say not only do I not want to own but I never want to even ride in again.