NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Chevrolet to build the Beat

49 posts in this topic

Posted Image

Chevrolet has just announced that its tiny baby, the Beat, will go into production in 2010. It will be sold in the US - and across Europe.

click here Chevrolet previewed three city car concepts at the New York Auto Show earlier this year. They were the Beat, Groove, and Trax - and Chevy went to a public vote at www.vote4chevrolet.com to decide which one to build.

The results are now in, with 1.9 million votes cast, and the Beat will now go into production in 2010. To tell you the truth, we could have made that decision for Chevrolet: the Beat was easily the best-looking, and most youth-oriented of the tiny trio.

Whether the Beat will appear in exactly the same guise as seen here is another matter. All the company could be drawn into saying was that the Beat will ‘significantly inspire Chevrolet’s next-generation city car, due to make its debut in 2010'.

It'll come to the UK, as well as over 100 other countries, and if it looks anywhere near as good as the Beat, it'll go down very well indeed. Combine that with halo cars like the Camaro, and more mainstream stuff like the future Lacetti, and Chevrolet has a promising future.

Words: Ben Pulman

source:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/news.php?sid=1267&page=1

We get one? YEAH!! If GM can get the engine combo right, it should do wonders for their "green" image.

The 'significantly inspire Chevrolet’s next-generation city car' comment scares me a little. I'd like the exterior to follow the concept very closely.

Compared to the Toyota Yaris 2-door, it is less bubbly and girly, which makes it better looking. I wonder how it will change from the concept. Are they going to make a 4-door version?

Can they get away with calling the production version the "Beat"?

All that new model talking of Chevy kinda upsets Pontiac fan like me. What will Pontiac get? Nothing? No new models? Just the current offerings with some of them getting killed?. G8 you say? Phooey, that isn't really a Pontiac, it's merely a RE-BADGED Aussie Holden, while Chevy, the so called GM's BABY division gets all the new models to expand even further than their already too large model base, while Pontiac and other divisions gets totally ignored, and even gets their better known models getting killed? It's ridiculous and unfair that only ONE division gets all the benefit and love.

As for Beat, Well, it's..... Different, but I am not too crazy about it, for I don't like tiny cars. I wasn't too big on any of those 3 trios in the show to begin with, and..... I heard that all 3 were built by Daewoo as well, Can GM not design their cars anymore? do they have to relie on some other countries to do the designs for them? First Australia, now Korea? Where are all the good ol' American designers gone to? Geesh. <_<

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

Oh good, they're building the good-looking one.

Built in 2010... which will mean 2011. Sure is a looooong time to wait for both the Beat and the Volt. I'd think this thing could be production ready for '09 being a small car??

It was clear that they were always intending to choose the Beat, since it was the only of the three micro cars with an interior. Plus it looks like a small version of the WTCC+ concept.

All that new model talking of Chevy kinda upsets Pontiac fan like me. What will Pontiac get? Nothing? No new models?

Umm, Pontiac is not competing with Chevy anymore. It is not a full line make, not with GM at 25% share.

Chevy is their main brand, so no more Pont-rolets like the T1000, j2000 Sunbird, or Parisienne.

That was GM's problem for years, "where's mine" from all the fiefdoms. Divisions stealing Chevy customers, and not other companies.

Edited by Chicagoland

What will Pontiac get? Nothing?

Since PCS is in Brazil, I'll fill up for him for the now classic comment re Pontiac: tick tock :AH-HA_wink:

Hmmm... cool. Much more appealing than the Aveo, and it's a 3-door.

Umm, Pontiac is not competing with Chevy anymore. It is not a full line make, not with GM at 25% share.

Chevy is their main brand, so no more Pont-rolets like the T1000, j2000 Sunbird, or Parisienne.

That was GM's problem for years, "where's mine" from all the fiefdoms. Divisions stealing Chevy customers, and not other companies.

And the result has killed many Chevrolet dealers in Canada - including ours. I am no longer selling Chevrolet. Our dealer 'closed' on Friday. Another Chevrolet dealer closed for good at the end of last month.

As I have been bitching about for 2 years now, the U.S. dealers had better watch out: at $4 a gallon or more, Chevrolet's line up does not make sense. The P-B-GMC line up has more 'legs.'

SMART move! Depends on 1) gas prices 2) sucess of the Smart Fortwo(starting at $12K est 40 MPG)

Why Not. May aslo help with CAFE

Edited by griff7774

I guess GM needs this thing, but God it hurts my eyes!

Why do all microcars have to look like cartoon jokes? :puke:

I agree with you about small cars always looking like some cartoon charactor, but I like the style on this one. About time a small car is designed with sharper, more aggresive cues! Edited by BuddyP

Aww. That thing is as cute as a munchkin.

Posted Image

The production version is definitely going to be different from the concept but hopefully it still looks just as stylish and eye-catching.

You know, I'm all about GM thinking outside the box and doing a lot of brand building in spite of what typical business analysis might suggest, but I think they need to draw the line here. If they want to bring the Beat to the U.S., it NEEDS to have a solid business case behind it. If the case doesn't exist, then take the money they would have invested into bringing it here and dump it into making the Aveo that much better. They shouldn't just bring this here because it will improve their Green image because they have enough in the pipeline (Volt) to take care of that.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead