Flybrian

SFAS: Lincoln MKR Concept

23 posts in this topic

That split grille treatment is definitely Oldsish.... it's odd that Lincoln chose to revive a styling cue from 60+ years ago...kind of obscure.. I wonder how the square and rectangle vertical grilles that were a Lincoln theme from the Mark III through various '70s-90s models (Continentals, Town Cars, etc) would work now...

Nicest looking Lincoln in forever.

They need this yesterday.

x2

Beautiful, beautiful car that would save Lincoln's reputation in a heartbeat and put Ford back on the fast track to success and profitability.

You know, if they build it...which by my calculations is somewhere this side of f*cking never.

Ford needs to grow a pair. No, Ford needs to grow a pair of pairs to make up for their utter lack of them.

Edited by AxelTheRed

Honestly, the car looks EVEN better in person. I really liked it.

Edited by smallchevy

Putting aside all arguments about how credible the MKS may be, it simply isn't flagship material.

The MKR would be perfect as a flagship car for Lincoln. It's beautiful, it's bold yet elegant, it's a design triumph for a brand that desperately needs something extraordinary to revive some excitement and interest in the Lincoln brand again.

If "Farley & Company" are really serious about making Lincoln a global brand, the MKR would be the perfect vehicle to signal those intentions to the world.

I am getting really annoyed with the Ford Corporation's practice of showing us these great concepts that they never intend to produce for the market. If just an ounce of the ingenuity shown in these concepts would make it to production, Ford would definitely see its fortunes change for the better.

Putting aside all arguments about how credible the MKS may be, it simply isn't flagship material.

The MKR would be perfect as a flagship car for Lincoln. It's beautiful, it's bold yet elegant, it's a design triumph for a brand that desperately needs something extraordinary to revive some excitement and interest in the Lincoln brand again.

If "Farley & Company" are really serious about making Lincoln a global brand, the MKR would be the perfect vehicle to signal those intentions to the world.

I am getting really annoyed with the Ford Corporation's practice of showing us these great concepts that they never intend to produce for the market. If just an ounce of the ingenuity shown in these concepts would make it to production, Ford would definitely see its fortunes change for the better.

:yes:

I really like this one... the only way Lincoln can better the styling of its production cars is to have a more appropriate... traditional Lincoln grille a la the MKX or even the Navigator. Those type of front ends could really help to build brand identity!

nice enough i guess but if you take the grille and front end treatment off the car there's really not much else distinguishing about the car exterior wise that screams lincoln.

the long hood proportioning is a nice fresh thing again for lincoln but what you're in love with is the grille and rwd proportions. the other design cues themselves don't neccessarily say lincoln.

show average joe one of those pics where the grille is missing and i doubt they would immediately say its a lincoln. some may say infiniti. some may say mazda. hyundai maybe. maserati.

nice car, just sayin it doesn't ooze its identity other than the grille.

contrast it with a camaro or mustang. see a side profile of either of those cars and immediately you know what brand it is.

Edited by regfootball

I think Lincoln's brand image is so tarnished at this point that it might be good for them not to have a car that screams Lincoln. Lincoln needs a fresh start with an innovative design that loudly proclaims that a new era has arrived for the brand and they are ready to truly compete in the luxury market. I believe that the MKR Concept is a vehicle that can make a clear design statement while competently handling this daunting task.

As far as lacking distinction, I think the upcoming MKS is in far greater danger of being mistaken for another brand's product than the MKR Concept. It's pleasant enough, but not very original or outstanding. It has Acura TSX headlights, a Lexus/Infiniti profile, and Maserati/Kia taillights. If the grille and Lincoln badges were removed from this car, it would easily be mistaken as an Asian brand's product.

To further cripple Lincoln's brand identity, Ford glamorized three of their products for Lincoln's portfolio. Unless someone is legally blind or a total moron, it is not hard to see that the MKZ, MKX, and Navigator are just a Fusion, Edge, and Expedition in Lincoln drag. How can Lincoln produce something that is truly Lincoln when it has these blatant, badge engineered image blockers diluting its identity and status in the market?

I think the MKS is a minor step in the right direction. Unfortunately, Lincoln needs a vehicle like the MKR Concept to catapult the division back into the consciousness of the auto market.

>>"nice enough i guess but if you take the grille and front end treatment off the car there's really not much else distinguishing about the car exterior wise that screams lincoln.

the long hood proportioning is a nice fresh thing again for lincoln but what you're in love with is the grille and rwd proportions. the other design cues themselves don't neccessarily say lincoln.

show average joe one of those pics where the grille is missing and i doubt they would immediately say its a lincoln. some may say infiniti. some may say mazda. hyundai maybe. maserati."<<

I have to agree with cire: not looking obviously like a Lincoln is a good thing. CTS didn't look like 'Cadillac'', either- Lincoln needs an overhaul now as Caddy did then.

>>"nice car, just sayin it doesn't ooze its identity other than the grille."<<

Most new cars don't- unless they are cribbing design cues from other brands (mazda fenders on the m-b s-class, anyone?

Makes the MK-Whatever production sedan look positively dowdy by comparison. This is very distinctively Lincoln without stealing. The front end, the formal roofline, the horizontal taillights, the tumble of the decklid... all speak Lincoln to me. The interior is fantastic as well.

The entire 'bumperless' styling is also very attractive.

I really don't see much of another car in this one at all. For some reason, the Mark VII comes to mind with the profile, but I might be projecting there.

I think I like the looks of this car better than any other concept of at least the last 15 years. This and the Sixteen are real close (the rear of the 16 doesn't match what the front clip brings). I have quite the image collection building of the MKR.

Listen up Ford, I am a GM man, always have been, always will be. However, between this and the Interceptor concepts....you'd have a new customer in me. Especially this Lincoln. Wake up and get your &#036;h&#33; together, this thing needs to be built as it, no watering down. You wanna make bold moves? Build a concept car as the production car. Of course the unrealistic interior would need to be tweaked...but that exterior, do not touch a single damned thing. Well except for maybe making the tailights a little thicker. It really saddens me when I think of what could be, and then what ends up being. This goes for GM and Chrysler too....I just wish thatg a concept could just be put in a showroom and sold. I think that would really shake things up.

Listen up Ford, I am a GM man, always have been, always will be. However, between this and the Interceptor concepts....you'd have a new customer in me. Especially this Lincoln. Wake up and get your &#036;h&#33; together, this thing needs to be built as it, no watering down. You wanna make bold moves? Build a concept car as the production car. Of course the unrealistic interior would need to be tweaked...but that exterior, do not touch a single damned thing. Well except for maybe making the tailights a little thicker. It really saddens me when I think of what could be, and then what ends up being. This goes for GM and Chrysler too....I just wish thatg a concept could just be put in a showroom and sold. I think that would really shake things up.

Both GM and Chrysler have built concepts, but not Ford as far as I know. They do need to build it...it is sex on wheels. Make the taillights more proportionate and make teh grill a little shorter but other than that leave it. How hard would it be to either use the XF platform or the Mustang platform (and add an IRS) to build it?

Very few concept cars get put into production looking identical to their concept counterparts...The Enclave and Aura etc are an exception to that. Chrysler while having a good track record at producing it's concepts, often water them down to an extent...I'd like to see this baby on the street unchanged, right down to the wheels and grille. Leave the grille alone.

Very few concept cars get put into production looking identical to their concept counterparts...The Enclave and Aura etc are an exception to that. Chrysler while having a good track record at producing it's concepts, often water them down to an extent...I'd like to see this baby on the street unchanged, right down to the wheels and grille. Leave the grille alone.

Don't forget the Solstice.

Also they didn't water down the Magnum.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor